Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive F10
77k has that time come already?

2011 535i Xdrive with 77k and no other issues except the front CV boots until now...

I've researched and it seems my water pump maybe failing but I haven't had any overheating issues. Which is odd seeing as many of the posts or articles I have found specifically mention that. Now I'm still going to replace it but I want to make sure that isn't the only thing wrong.

Ok get this, I can push it hard and not have the temperature gauge go pass 240 but as soon as I start the car the radiator fan is turning off and on at max speed and then stays on. I assume the thermostat has failed also and is stuck open?

I'm making this topic so just in case someone has similar issues and the symptoms don't quite fit what they find online. But I would also like to know any more trouble shooting ideas before I purchase the two parts.
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2017, 11:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 550i MT
The thermostat can not throw any error codes related to being stuck open or closed. It only has a simple resistive heater element but no sensors. It can tell if the heater is broken but nothing more.
1997 Saab 9000 //sold
Old 05-13-2017, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive F10
I wasn't expecting any codes but here's something new... using the hidden menu I've been monitoring the coolant temp as well as the oil temp separately and they both stay steady and constant.

Now here's the thing the radiator fans only comes on, at full blast, when the A/C is on. As soon as I cut it off completely it turns off. I've been sitting in the car for over an hour and nothing. However if I cut the A/C on then it sounds like the car is about to take off and as before turn the A/C off its back to normal.

Both Temps stay at 105 degrees Celsius while idle

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search