Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-25-2015, 09:57 PM

Mein Auto: 535 xi
Drivetrain malfunction when slowly reversing 2015 535xi

Hi,

My few month old 2015 535xi (only 2700 miles) popped a drivetrain malfunction error today. I was reversing slowly backwards into my garage (must have been less than 5mph) it by itself switched from R into Neutral, I set it back to R and when I gave it some gas it gave me the "Drivetrain malfunction error" and went into limp mode.

It self-recovered when I powered off and on --

Any help/suggestions on what to do?

thanks.
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2015, 08:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535 XI Sport
maybe your door was open
Old 08-26-2015, 10:51 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
DTMs are, unfortunately, a dime a dozen with the N63B44O0 (V8s) engines (see the CCP threads) and majority are due to misfires and resulting repair is injector replacement. Schedule a service appt with the dealer ASAP, they need to identify the fault. As an aside, this is where a scan tool is extremely useful to fact check a dealer's service dept. Keep us posted, you are the first person I have seen with a N55 that has reported a DTM but I don't follow this forum diligently.

@Ant: do you know anything about cars or are you trying to be funny (annoying)?
Old 09-17-2015, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Drivetrain Malfunction

I got the Drivetrain Malfunction message two days ago while driving in EcoPro mode. I dropped off the car at the dealer this morning and received a call by noon saying that the waste gate flap was sluggish due to a defect in the electric waste gate actuator unit (apparently something to do with the turbo). The actuator was replaced and all is fine...so far. Before taking the car in I reviewed several forums looking for the answer and this was one cause that I hadn't seen so it appears that there are a number of things that can cause this malfunction. My service advisor did tell me that even if the error clears itself by turning the car off and on again, that it should be brought in because it is almost certain to happen again if the underlying cause isn't resolved.

Hopefully this helps someone else that runs into this issue.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:25 AM
Glfbggy

Mein Auto: 07 X3si, 14 535xd, 00 MZ3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
@Ant: do you know anything about cars or are you trying to be funny (annoying)?
@Daders, for your awareness the f10 5er has a feature which stops the car from moving while a door is open. This is new as I know it isn't on my X3, or ///MRoadster and wasn't on our e39. I regularly move my vehicles in and out of the garage after washing without closing the door. The f10 won't let me.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 XI Sport
I try to avoid people who are clueless about the F10, hence I did not reply to that poster.
Maybe we should spend sometime in our manuals before we make profound statements.
I know for a fact that the car will not reverse if the a door is open- it happened in my driveway and at my mechanics shop.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Reversing with the door open will not cause a drivetrain malfunction, and the OP did not say he had the door open. I would say if it happens again, bring it into the dealer and have a check out.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:51 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpup View Post
@Daders, for your awareness the f10 5er has a feature which stops the car from moving while a door is open. This is new as I know it isn't on my X3, or ///MRoadster and wasn't on our e39. I regularly move my vehicles in and out of the garage after washing without closing the door. The f10 won't let me.
And does it give you a drivetrain malfunction warning and go into limp mode?
Old 09-19-2015, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpup View Post
I reverse mine with the door open all the time; however, can't move forward with the door open.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search