Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760 Li
PROBLEM SOLVED- Excessive Cranking and Fuel line grinding/humming noise

I have a 2005 760 with 49k Miles. All my problems started about 2 weeks ago when I completely ran out of gas. I was cruising on one of those Ďremoteí freeways with gas stations about 80 miles apart and it so happened that I never made it to the next gas station which was exactly a mile away.
Anyway, here are my symptoms that started the following morning;
1. Random excessive cranking (about 6-10 seconds). Mostly during cold start up and sometimes after the car has been running for a while then letting it sit for like 30 minutes.
2. There is loud grinding/humming noise emerging along the driver side of the car upon starting when engine is cold. Then it goes away as soon as the engine warms up. It sounds like the fuel line to me but I could be wrong.
3. I had a couple of PENDING check engine light codes (random cylinder misfires) but they all cleared up by themselves.
4. My RPM sometimes slightly goes up and down when Iím stationary but this happens very rarely.

Yesterday, I replaced the in-tank fuel pump (passenger rear) but I am still getting the symptoms. Then today for the first time, the car stalled and died on me with about 30 more miles range left. I filled it up to about half a tank, and it started right up. Iíve been driving it since and havenít experienced any stalling/dying problems again.
Do you think I need to replace the fuel filter/pressure regulator as well? Any ideas what you think might have happened to my car? Thank you.

Last edited by pkathee; 01-26-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Solved the problem
Ads by Google
Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 PM

Excessice cranking- PROBLEM SOLVED

I replaced the Fuel filter with Pressure regulator. All my problems solved......

Also, I realized that the in-tank fuel pump that I had before replacing with the new one the other day was only a year old. The previous owner must have replaced it before. Anyway, I have an extra fuel pump. If anyone is interested, just let me know. I'm selling it for only $250...We can do a paypal transaction.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:54 AM
2007 760Li User

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Just out of interest, with the engine idling and the hood up, how much vibration do you get when resting your hands on either side of the engine (just above the air intakes for example)
Old 01-27-2012, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: E65 750i Sport,C5 z51 e46
looks like Im to late but yea when ever u run out of gas, you must change the fuel filter, you suck up all the junk in the bottom of the tank, and especially with a 760 you need a free flow of gas!!!
e46 328i Prem Aw18" 335spt whls(sold)
c5 Corvette 6sp,z51,2"drp,19"ccw'sshrt shft,corsa exh,dd nav
e53 X5 3.0, pana rf,nav,xenon,cldweather, premium.ipod hookup, 20"4.6rims staggered 315rrs.
e65 750I aw, sport. chrome21's,acs pdls,acs rfsplr,mtecs,8k hid fogs,Leds.oem ipod&sirius
Srt10 VIPER, 19-20" rennen forgedwheels,tune,exhaust,intake.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: a car
Does this have the in tank filter or is it inline under the car?

Sent from my Ally using Bimmer App
Old 01-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Burger View Post
Just out of interest, with the engine idling and the hood up, how much vibration do you get when resting your hands on either side of the engine (just above the air intakes for example)
Nope.. No vibrations at all.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Nope. No vibrations at all.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliehcfr View Post
Does this have the in tank filter or is it inline under the car?

Sent from my Ally using Bimmer App
Paul,
It is the inline filter. Right behind the front driver wheel. Very easy DIY.....And by the way, I performed an autopsy on the old fuel filter. Man, its all dark and nasty.....Can't believe it.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 760i
Angry 2004 760i. Stalling, Humming Sounds

I purchased this car from a dealer in Houston after running CarFax, AutoCheck, and a National VIN search. The 760 was shipped to me this past Monday and received Wednesday evening. I have driven the car less than 50 miles since it was pulled off of the delivery truck. Mileage is now at 89,996.

The car ran great the first night I owned it and I drove it about 6 miles just to make a test. Next morning while making a right turn in a parking lot the car stalled. I was able to immediately restart the engine. I drove 6.5 miles to my home immediately after this event and while idling the car in my driveway it died again. I restarted and it idled cleaning for a long time. I made a late afternoon run to the US Post Office without a problem. I followed that by driving 2 miles to fill the fuel tank without any stalling issue.

Last evening, day three of ownership, while driving to dinner the car tried to stall again, idle surged, dropped back down to normal, I proceeded. Few minutes later car tried to stall again, idle surged, and this time the check engine light came on and has stayed on.

I got on this forum to look for similar occurrences and found this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...629&highlight=

I have a local mechanic that does the work on all of my vehicles. I have owned a 528, 733, Z3 2.8, Z4, and a 750iL. I have familiarity with the BMW brand and believe they are the best vehicles to own.

What is the best course of action here? I had a 750iL for 7 years and never had a problem with it. I expected the normal V12 to be at least as reliable as my old one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2004 760i_photo 1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	349131   Click image for larger version

Name:	2004 760i_photo2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	349132   Click image for larger version

Name:	2004 760i_photo 3.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	349133  

Last edited by rsbolin@me.com; 11-11-2012 at 05:57 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 760Li, F250 V10, Ex 7.3L
Having the exact same cranking problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkathee View Post
I replaced the Fuel filter with Pressure regulator. All my problems solved......

Also, I realized that the in-tank fuel pump that I had before replacing with the new one the other day was only a year old. The previous owner must have replaced it before. Anyway, I have an extra fuel pump. If anyone is interested, just let me know. I'm selling it for only $250...We can do a paypal transaction.
I am going to go home and look it up in the manual, but just curious where it sits and what you discovered when replacing it that would help others? Pictures would be awesome
Old 01-25-2013, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 760Li, F250 V10, Ex 7.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws View Post
I am going to go home and look it up in the manual, but just curious where it sits and what you discovered when replacing it that would help others? Pictures would be awesome

have what sounds like the exact same issues. Mine started after I installed K&N drop-in waffle filters in the airboxes, but mainly, once I started modifying my exhaust. When the engine is cold, it can take as much as 10 seconds to start after cranking. Also, after a minute, once it goes into closed loop mode, bumps and runs rough, sometimes dies-- until the tach says it's fully warm. Then it starts and runs perfectly.

did the replacement of the inline fuel filter and regulator as well. Did not help my problem, unfortunately.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: various BMW's
Running the tank dry should be avoided at all times. The pumps are fuel cooled and lubricated. Especially the 760's as you don't want to run the risk of damaging the high pressure fuel pumps. Also, the in tank pumps pull from the bottom of the tank all the time. So the only way they suck up trash when run to empty is if the trash is floating on the surface of the fuel. Also, the fuel is pulled from a "well" or "can" in the tank to prevent the gauge from fluctuating as the fuel sloshes around in the tank. The "well" has a small opening in the bottom to allow fuel to enter slowly. Just FYI.