Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Vacuum leaks revisited I-6 Engines

Since my original post on Batteling vacuum leaks disappeared a few months back--figured now is the time to just list all of the spots that owners need to address.
#1--Air duct between the throttlebody and idle control valve--the ribbed section will
develop holes over time and cause all sorts of problems.
#2 DISA valve, where it hooks to the intkae manifold--as the part goes through heat cycles
the 0 ring will allow unmetered air into the intake--cause lean conditions.
#3 CCV System--there are 4 hose's on this system and can be somewhat of a bear to replace unless you read up on the how too's--there are many posts covering the replacement of these parts--
#4 The distribution unit that sits on top of the itake manifold and hooks into the CCV system. There are 6 small 0 rings that make the seal to stop air from leaking by. Whne doing the CCv system--I suggest that these 0 rings should be replaced and a good cleaning of
the distribution unit be done at the same time. I just remove the part and then fill with gasoline and let it set for an hour or two the blow the part out with compressed air.
#5 Valve cover gasket--if you have any oil seeping out from the passenger side of the valve cover and puddling, you have a vacuum leak as well--replace the valve cover gasket and all will be well again.
#6--there are a 3 hoses back behind the intake manifold on the driverside of the car that control the secondary air injection system. Too se what all is going on back there , you will need to remove the cabin air duct on that side--unhook the duct from the filter housing and then turn the duck upwards at a 90 degree angle from the fire wall and the part will disengage
Then with a small mirror and flashlight you can see the hoses that will need to be replace--while there--inspect the vacuum caps on the intake--I have found those to split and leak air after they get old.
#7 The hose going from the jetpump to the brake booster--there will be two of these--one goes to the jetpump from the intake manifold and is a real bear to remove without removing the intakE --(BUT I did it once)The other half goes from the jetpump to the brake booster.
#8 There is an 0 ring at the base of the oil dipstick--if you replace your CCV system
you will need to replace this 0 ring as well.
#9 Fuel injector 0 rings, after reading Doru's post about this problem, that will be my next venture when warmer weather reappears.
#10 I guess the gaskets for the intake manifold can or should be counted in this write up, but, I haven't heard of this happening very often--

Hope others can list other spots to be checked and also hope this helps some with their problems
Ads by Google
Old 01-21-2012, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 BMW k75s
This is probably one of the most useful posts ever.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
+1, this is probably THE most common problem on E39s, and the frequency of this occurance is increasing as the rubber and plastic hoses and gaskets age and crack. Nice, Poolman!
Old 01-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I just got my smog-only inspection notice in the mail so now I MUST get my P0172, P0174 lean-condition misfire fixed.

I'll be checking, one by one, EVERYTHING, in this thread, since I absolutely hate to throw parts at a problem.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 01-21-2012, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Great post.

Also, it is important to point out the newbies that the Vacuum Hoses are different for:

1996-1998 I6 vs 1999-2003 I6 year models.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
You might want to include the fuel tank breather valve to intake hose, the hose from the "F" connector to the fuel pressure regulator, and the ICV grommet on the intake manifold.
OSRAM CBI

BMWCCA Member #337964
Old 01-22-2012, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 528 I
Hi new to this forum .just got a 99 528 dealing with vacuum issues too. I could hear a whistle from the back of the manifold at the seam .I temporarily jb welded it .it got better (rough idle when cold )then I found a pin hole just above where you connect the vacuum hoses .very hard to get in there so I got some of that flex seal (as seen on tv)sprayed it in there. Now it runs great all the time .found a manifold on craigslist. Guess I'm doing that tomorrow
Old 01-23-2012, 02:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
A very common fix for lean codes for both banks is the easy replacement of the cracked (often broken in two!) oil vent hose that connects the bottom of the oil separator to the dipstick tube. It is easy to get to and replace -- and it's cheap (~$11 at AutohausAZ). This easy DIY will show you where to look, etc:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=773551

Just takes a few mins to clip on one end of the tube to the oil separator and friction-fit the other end to the dipstick tube (no need to remove any parts, although you may want to tilt the pwr steering reservoir toward the car's left fender to give more room (without disconnecting any steering hoses).

This could definitely be the problem, except perhaps for those who replaced the entire cvv and hoses already. Read the DIY -- lots of help for the newbie.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the kind words and input --would be nice if there is a way to update the list when new spots are indentified. From what Steve530 added, looks like most of the spots are covered.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
This is what i remember

#11 Throttle body gasket
#12 MAF big o-ring
#13 SAP Valve gasket
#14 Small vacuum hose from SAP Valve to secondary air injection system
#15 Hose from SAP to SAP Valve

BMW E38/E39 Rear Axle/Differential Bush Tool

Last edited by champaign777; 01-30-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
Here is another post I found that may help some people. It shows some realoem.com diagrams of the hose-related vacuum system and some how-to info as well:

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...-leaks-t40634/

Seems like most causes of leaks are covered here, but if nothing here works for anyone, just googleing "BMW vacuum leak" will give you many options, some of which may offer new information to help fix the problem. Of course, searching all of the BMW forums should help, but BMW forum threads (as well as YouTube videos) are covered in google. Good luck all!

Last edited by gsbmw; 01-26-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: '06 330Ci Vert. '03 M5
I have been working on this post on E46Fanatics for the normal BMW cold weather misfires, CEL, rough running and idle.

I think this is pretty comprehensive and might be helpful as well.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...1#post14032549
Old 01-31-2012, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport Pkg
Code 245 / 246 - Secondary air system

I just experienced the broken vacuum hose to the SAP valve this morning. I was expecting to need to replace this hose soon since I noted that it was brittle a few weeks back when the valve was replaced. What I didn't know was that this is accompanied by codes. If you see a code 245 / 246 (Secondary air system Bank 1 / 2), there is a good chance it is this hose.

A quick stop at O'Reilly Auto on the way to work for $0.50 of vacuum hose was all that was needed to fix the problem.

The code is thrown after engine is started (when SAS in use). I'm not sure what sensor is used to monitor for the leak but report details indicate: "SL-Flow rate to littel".

Detailed report:
E R R O R M E M O R Y R E P O R T
-------------------------------------

Date: 01/31/12 08:54:02
ECU: MS430DS0
JobStatus: OKAY
Variant: MS430DS0
-------------------------------------------------------------

RESULT: 2 errors in error memory !

246 Secondary air system Bank 2

Error frequency : 2
Logistic counter: 40

TCO_ST 22.23 Grad C
TIA_ST 22.97 Grad C
N_32 1024.00 rpm
VB 13.67 V
aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 0.80 h

---
---
---
SL-Flow rate to littel
Error to relevant
Error debounce
Error currently available
stat. Error

Errorcode: F6 78 02 28 5E 5F 20 86 68 39

245 Secondary air system Bank 1

Error frequency : 2
Logistic counter: 40

TCO_ST 22.23 Grad C
TIA_ST 22.97 Grad C
N_32 1024.00 rpm
VB 13.67 V
aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 0.80 h

---
---
---
SL-Flow rate to littel
Error to relevant
Error debounce
Error currently available
stat. Error

Errorcode: F5 78 02 28 5E 5F 20 86 68 39
================================================== ===========
Old 01-31-2012, 12:25 PM

This is a great list. Lately, I've been checking off the list of expected vacuum leaks. I've already experienced most of the leaks and knowing this list ahead of time allowed me to do some preventive maintenance and/or anticipate and quickly diagnose the issues if they occur.

I am familiar with all the issues except #7 - The hose going from the jetpump to the brake booster. Would that be hose #10 in the diagram below?

Old 01-31-2012, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blight67 View Post
This is a great list. Lately, I've been checking off the list of expected vacuum leaks. I've already experienced most of the leaks and knowing this list ahead of time allowed me to do some preventive maintenance and/or anticipate and quickly diagnose the issues if they occur.

I am familiar with all the issues except #7 - The hose going from the jetpump to the brake booster. Would that be hose #10 in the diagram below?

Yes, that would be the hose from the brake servo to the top of the suction jet pump. There is also a hose that runs from the top of the F connector to the suction jet pump and and another that runs from the bottom of the suction jet pump to the intake manifold behind the throttle body.

I the photo below, you can see the top two hoses as they are arranged on my 2001 530i.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake Servo 2.jpg
Views:	2432
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	310429  
OSRAM CBI

BMWCCA Member #337964
Old 01-31-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
Yes, that would be the hose from the brake servo to the top of the suction jet pump. There is also a hose that runs from the top of the F connector to the suction jet pump and and another that runs from the bottom of the suction jet pump to the intake manifold behind the throttle body.

I the photo below, you can see the top two hoses as they are arranged on my 2001 530i.

Thanks for the clear annotated photo! I'll have to check both once I get home.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I had forgotten about this thread, so I just wish to update what the cause of 'my' lean misfire codes were:
- Does the order of the misfire OBDII DTCs diagnostic trouble codes actually matter (1)

After identifying & replacing all the visible hoses I could:
- How to locate all problematic (between 1/8" & 9/32" ID) 3.5x1.8mm, 3.3x1.8mm & (between 17/64" & 9/32" ID) 7mm ID vacuum tubing (single material), vacuum hoses (multiple material), 3.3mm OD curved vacuum pipes (rigid tubes), 3.5mm & 7mm ID vacuum endcaps (closed end) & 7x3mm manifold o-rings (1) & 7.52X3.52mm and 9.2X2.8mm fuel injection o-rings (1) & gaskets (1) on the M54 engine & where in the USA to get new vacuum tubing & vacuum caps (1) & what SAE sizes to get for all the metric M54 engine vacuum tubes, hoses, pipes, and caps (1) & correcting the F-connector errors in the realoem diagrams (1) & finding the ends of hard-to-locate vacuum tubes (1) & sorely needed clarification on how the M54 CCV vacuum port works on the M52 CCV valve connection to the fuel pressure regulator connection (1) & how to make, borrow, or buy lean-condition misfire test tools to test for vacuum leaks & lean conditions (1) (2)

I STILL had multiple lean misfire codes, so I checked the fuel system:
- How does the E39 fuel injection work (1) & what are the most often recommended fuel pump & fuel filter brands (1) (2) & a DIY for replacing the fuel filter (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & a quick test for fuel pump operation (1) (2) and a DIY for replacing the fuel pump (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to replace and service your BMW E39 fuel injectors (1) & details on replacing the 7.52X3.52mm and 9.2X2.8mm fuel injector o-rings (1) & the location of the K96 fuel pump relay (1) & where is the fuel system pressure test Schrader valve for the I6 (1) & where is the fuel pressure test point for the V8 (1) (2) (3) & where is the location of the fuel pump relay K96 (1) & cleaning (1) (2) & replacing the fuel sensor (1) & resolving blown fuses due to a stuck fuel filler door solenoid (1)

But I still had lean condition misfire codes; so I checked the DISA:
- Where to get a proper DISA valve repair kit (1) & how some jury-rig 'repair' a rattling DISA unit (1) (2) (3) & how the DISA valve operates (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to test DISA operation (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) & a simple DIY to install an M54 DISA (1) & a nice DISA autopsy (1) (2) & a great DISA group buy (1) & how the disa valve o-ring fails (1) (2) & how it can reputedly cause all sorts of cold-engine rough idle problems (1) (2) & where to get just the DISA valve o-ring (1) & why you want to check the DISA at 100K miles or whenever the airbox is removed (1) (2) & why the DIfferenzierte SAuganlage ("Differential Air Intake") valve flap breaks (1), sometimes with parts sucked into the intake manifold (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & a well documented example of how a broken DISA flap can ruin your engine (1) & yet another seemingly complex set of misfire codes reputedly traced to a broken DISA valve (1)

But I still had lean condition misfire codes; so I had to run a smoke test:
- How to make your own smoke machine (1)

The smoke test located a badly broken CCV lower vent hose:
- How to test the crankcase ventilation (aka CCV, CVV, PCV, CPV, & OSV) pressure regulating valve system (1)

Which also enabled me to unclog the wholly clogged dipstick tube:
- How to test, clean, & redesign the original BMW dipstick guide tube to prevent CCV vent clogs (1)

A subsequent smoke test located a bad lower boot connected to the throttle:
- How to diagnose a BMW E39 engine misfire (1)

With the final result being a passed California smog certificate:
- Results of California smog emissions tests (1)

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 12-09-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Added detail.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: e39 1997 528i
Thanks for posting all the details ... Need to pass Cali smog next month, will spend my Sunday looking for leaks...
Old 02-23-2014, 04:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Poolman, if you don't mind, I'd like to reference this thread in the "So You Just Bought an E60" doc in the E60 forum.

Being newer, we're not seeing as many vacuum leaks and codes yet. But as the similar components age on the M54, N52 and N54 engines, this will be great info for those seeing the beginnings of the problem in newer models.

Thanks!

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 02-23-2014, 06:22 AM

Feel free to use the thread anywhere it will help someone--I have started a new Thread and called it --Vacuum Leaks-- and the only thing that's mentioned is the link to this thread--One needs to type in the wording precise to find the thread that we are reading on--sometimes too hard to find it.
Just had a thought,,I'm terrible with posting pic's--sorry that's just how it is--If someone would take the list and make pictures to each of the points listed--that would help many down the road
with finding and also maintaining their engines.

Last edited by poolman; 02-23-2014 at 07:36 AM.