Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-24-2012, 12:33 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
I run my kit pretty rich to stay safe. My tail pipes are always black as black can be lol.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 01-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
I run my kit pretty rich to stay safe. My tail pipes are always black as black can be lol.
DId the software from the FI kit give you this mix or did you "custom" tune the mix to give even a richer mixture?

"It is little use listening to other people as they will either be agreeing with you or saying stupid stuff" - Dogbert

I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world sh!ts on everybody. Pretending it ain't sh!t makes you an idiot, not an optimist.

2004 325i - Sport package - 5MT- clears - CDV mod - M3 gauge faces w/silver gauge rings & red needles - SS exhaust tips - strut tower brace - Hotchkis anti-sway bars -50% tint - shadow grills - roof spoiler - silver CF trim
Old 01-24-2012, 03:40 PM
L4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstrachan View Post
DId the software from the FI kit give you this mix or did you "custom" tune the mix to give even a richer mixture?
Custom tune.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Custom tune.
DId the engineers you worked with suggest that and/or assist?

Just curious as all the companies claim their software all but eliminates detonation risks.

"It is little use listening to other people as they will either be agreeing with you or saying stupid stuff" - Dogbert

I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world sh!ts on everybody. Pretending it ain't sh!t makes you an idiot, not an optimist.

2004 325i - Sport package - 5MT- clears - CDV mod - M3 gauge faces w/silver gauge rings & red needles - SS exhaust tips - strut tower brace - Hotchkis anti-sway bars -50% tint - shadow grills - roof spoiler - silver CF trim
Old 01-24-2012, 04:34 PM
L4P

Quote:
DId the engineers you worked with suggest that and/or assist?

Just curious as all the companies claim their software all but eliminates detonation risks.
It was custom tune by VF. Although I'm thinkin of ProEFI when I swap the S54 in w/ the supercharger. I asked to run more rich than normal to stay safe. detonation wont really happen as long as things are cooled properly.
A water/meth kit will do justice in that department.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
It was custom tune by VF. Although I'm thinkin of ProEFI when I swap the S54 in w/ the supercharger. I asked to run more rich than normal to stay safe. detonation wont really happen as long as things are cooled properly.
A water/meth kit will do justice in that department.
If I do this, I'm looking at probably going with the VF kit at 6psi and no intercooler. WOuld like to think their software errs on the side of a rich mixture for safety.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:03 PM
L4P

Quote:
If I do this, I'm looking at probably going with the VF kit at 6psi and no intercooler. WOuld like to think their software errs on the side of a rich mixture for safety.
Yes there software that comes w/ there kit for our cars runs rich. In my opinion it's the safest kit out there.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Yes there software that comes w/ there kit for our cars runs rich. In my opinion it's the safest kit out there.
Good to know. If the stars align...

Old 01-25-2012, 10:13 AM
L4P

Quote:
Good to know. If the stars align...
I don't doubt you'll eventually boost your ride. It's just a matter of asking yourself. "Do I really want to spend 2-5k on this?. Or something else?" thats all lol.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
I don't doubt you'll eventually boost your ride. It's just a matter of asking yourself. "Do I really want to spend 2-5k on this?. Or something else?" thats all lol.
So....you think you can do the Stage II kit, with intercooler, water/methyl injection, and all attendant goodies for $5K ? That DO sound mighty attractive....

(Of course, one *would* be tempted to also install a proper 3.46 LSD, adding about $2500 onto the bill....)

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-25-2012, 11:59 AM
L4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
So....you think you can do the Stage II kit, with intercooler, water/methyl injection, and all attendant goodies for $5K ? That DO sound mighty attractive....

(Of course, one *would* be tempted to also install a proper 3.46 LSD, adding about $2500 onto the bill....)
I could easily piece together a kit for you for around 5k yes. Including the intercooler.
I've learned a lot from my build and I know exactly what needs to be done now in order to get one running properly w/ good cooling. Although the LSD would definitely change the price lol. I like my non LSD 3.64 anyways. I feel like LSD is rather dangerous sometimes.... but thats just me.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
It always comes down to a choice...at least for most of us. In my case, it is more a matter of "should" versus "want". THere is no question I "want" to do this.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:04 PM
L4P

Quote:
It always comes down to a choice...at least for most of us. In my case, it is more a matter of "should" versus "want". THere is no question I "want" to do this.
Well when I did it I looked at a few factors. Since I already owned by car and made no payments on it I didn't want to get a new car w/ payments. But I wanted something faster so I looked at the E39 M5s and E46 M3s. I was VERY close on buying a E46 M3 and it was slightly modded tastefully. I even want to a BMW dealership and was a sign away from a E90 M3 sedan for 55k brand new. Well.... I said you know what I don't want to make payments and in the long run going the FI route is cheaper. So that's what I did.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Well when I did it I looked at a few factors. Since I already owned by car and made no payments on it I didn't want to get a new car w/ payments. But I wanted something faster so I looked at the E39 M5s and E46 M3s. I was VERY close on buying a E46 M3 and it was slightly modded tastefully. I even want to a BMW dealership and was a sign away from a E90 M3 sedan for 55k brand new. Well.... I said you know what I don't want to make payments and in the long run going the FI route is cheaper. So that's what I did.
I've looked at a few M3s around here too and with teh prices being pretty reasonable, it is an option. Still, if I can get into a moderate FI kit for under $5k, I save a bundle.

Besides, having a lowly 325i with FI and upgraded suspension is a nice little "sleeper" and building something unique (and maintaining it) is a big part of the fun. Any yuppie can buy an M3 and plenty do.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:26 PM
L4P

Quote:
I've looked at a few M3s around here too and with teh prices being pretty reasonable, it is an option. Still, if I can get into a moderate FI kit for under $5k, I save a bundle.

Besides, having a lowly 325i with FI and upgraded suspension is a nice little "sleeper" and building something unique (and maintaining it) is a big part of the fun. Any yuppie can buy an M3 and plenty do.
EXACTLY!. 100% right on!. Every one and there mom has an M3. I was like F this time to do something unique lol. W/ the 325i engine you could get all sorts of crazy and put in rods, pistons, lower the compression and build a turbo kit for some real crazy power.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
EXACTLY!. 100% right on!. Every one and there mom has an M3. I was like F this time to do something unique lol. W/ the 325i engine you could get all sorts of crazy and put in rods, pistons, lower the compression and build a turbo kit for some real crazy power.
I could, but I'd just hurt myself. 284hp and 250ft lbs torque sounds adequate and "useable" to me

Old 01-25-2012, 12:31 PM
L4P

Quote:
I could, but I'd just hurt myself. 284hp and 250ft lbs torque sounds adequate and "useable" to me
I suppose your right. I mean with how light our cars weigh it should be more than enough power and torque. Speaking of I need new rear tires asap...
Old 01-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Instructor of the Stig™

Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
Boost on the M54 is always a good idea I'm with Malibu to be the VF kit (found HERE) is the safest set for price. Also since it was asked earlier. I would also upgrade the brakes (maybe with something like THIS), think about a trans cooler (Mishimoto makes a great one I have them available HERE), limited slip diff.

ECS Tuning

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I suppose your right. I mean with how light our cars weigh it should be more than enough power and torque.
For me it would be enough. T be honest, with the MT, I find the 325i is a blast to drive most of the time and meets my needs. My son has a G35 and always razzes me about his HP but he can't keep up to me on the twities and even flat out, he's only .25 seconds quicker to 60mph. I'd blow his doors off with a SC (of course, that's not why I'm considering it.)

Really just looking for more oomph for passing. Safer to have it in some circumstances.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Will the VF system fit a 2004? All the info I see says it stops at 2003 MY cars.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottji View Post
Will the VF system fit a 2004? All the info I see says it stops at 2003 MY cars.
Yes it will fit.

VF's website shows the 325i e46 up to 2005 model year.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
L4P

Quote:
For me it would be enough. T be honest, with the MT, I find the 325i is a blast to drive most of the time and meets my needs. My son has a G35 and always razzes me about his HP but he can't keep up to me on the twities and even flat out, he's only .25 seconds quicker to 60mph. I'd blow his doors off with a SC (of course, that's not why I'm considering it.)

Really just looking for more oomph for passing. Safer to have it in some circumstances.
Yeah the G35 is super slow. I laugh when people in those attempt to rev at me. I just mind my own business, no need to race on a public road w/ some stupid kid.

It's definitely in my opinion much safer to be a bit faster than to be slower. Easy to get out of situations. Not to mention getting onto the fwy is fantastic with the extra power.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah the G35 is super slow. I laugh when people in those attempt to rev at me. I just mind my own business, no need to race on a public road w/ some stupid kid.

It's definitely in my opinion much safer to be a bit faster than to be slower. Easy to get out of situations. Not to mention getting onto the fwy is fantastic with the extra power.
Well...super slow, is all relative 0-60 in 6.75 is not bad for average folk. You're just spolied!!

I'll tell my wife I want the SC 'cause it's "safer". that ought to convince her

Old 01-25-2012, 01:24 PM
L4P

Quote:
Well...super slow, is all relative 0-60 in 6.75 is not bad for average folk. You're just spolied!!

I'll tell my wife I want the SC 'cause it's "safer". that ought to convince her
I guess it's not that slow... I do 0-60 in 4 seconds though lol.
You should ask Smolck what he told his wife. One time I accidently texted her about him getting a supercharger and she asked him what's a supercharger?

Last edited by MalibuMafiaV; 01-25-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I guess it's no that slow... I do 0-60 in 4 seconds though lol.
You should ask Smolck what he told his wife. One time I accidently texted her about him getting a supercharger and she asked him what's a supercharger?
You probably got her all excited about some libido-enhancing device only to have her hopes dashed.