Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Frenchx3, that sounds hopeful. I add a bottle of techron every oil change. So approximately every 6000-7000 miles. It's expensive, but they regularly run sales buy one get one free. I usually stock up. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by swapsafari View Post
FrenchX3,
How did you get to the Bank 2, Sensor 1 ( the one to the rear on passenger side). I have replaced the one on the front but having a hard time removing the oxygen sensro cover on the rear one. How did you remove that cover? Underneath the car? Give me some insight if you can.

Thanks!
Take a look at the picture I posted (above). It shows what I used to get at the rear 02 sensor. I used an 8 inch extension on a slotted 02 sensor socket. It came out very easily. Didn't have to take the strut brace or cabin filter housing out either. I'm not sure what "cover" you're referring to. There wasn't anything in the way of the 02 sensor I removed near the firewall.

Last edited by Frenchx3; 07-23-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukas161 View Post
Frenchx3, that sounds hopeful. I add a bottle of techron every oil change. So approximately every 6000-7000 miles. It's expensive, but they regularly run sales buy one get one free. I usually stock up. Good luck and keep us posted!
Thanks... I think I'll start running the Techron cleaner through on a regular basis
Old 08-17-2012, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw
I took my car to the dealer and had my dme and egs updated and now my car no longer hesitates at all I would give this a try for anybody having this issue cost $236 total all together. My engine light is off now to and is no longer throwing o2 sensor codes.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: '08 X3, '08 535xiT (gone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchx3 View Post
Thanks... I think I'll start running the Techron cleaner through on a regular basis
Hey French, did the Techron really solve your problem in the end? It would be surprising if so, but I'm interested to hear what happened long term.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
'05 E83 chugging at highway speeds

My x3 does the exact same thing. After extensive research for many months there are some people who have eliminated the problem with a transmission fluid/filter change.

I'm going to do mine sometime in the near future. Perhaps there is someone else who can confirm though in the meantime.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Member No. 470379
Old 10-23-2013, 07:00 PM
BMW master tech

Mein Auto: e30 318
Re: '05 E83 chugging at highway speeds

if you do the oil change you have to clear the transfer case values also check wheels... wheel sizes and mismatch brands is been a problem for a long time

Old 10-25-2013, 12:47 AM

Mein Auto: '08 X3, '08 535xiT (gone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by halltristan View Post
My x3 does the exact same thing. After extensive research for many months there are some people who have eliminated the problem with a transmission fluid/filter change.

I'm going to do mine sometime in the near future. Perhaps there is someone else who can confirm though in the meantime.

Is the engine down on power, not downshifting, or something else? I'm trying to understand you're thinking the transmission fluid is playing into the problem.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:41 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
'05 E83 chugging at highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwvwvw View Post
Is the engine down on power, not downshifting, or something else? I'm trying to understand you're thinking the transmission fluid is playing into the problem.
The problem lies with the torque converter.

Member No. 470379
Old 08-12-2014, 08:51 PM

I thought I'd add to this post as a continuation. My 2004 X3 with 164,000 miles has recently started having this same problem, chugging at highway speeds while the rpms are at 3,000. I'm hoping it's just a bad tank of gas. I'll add some techron and new gas soon and see what happens. Also plan on new spark plugs and air filter just because they are due.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:52 PM

Well....since you posted I figured I would chime back in. My X3 now has about 154K on it and the chugging is still with me. It comes and goes and I have never been able to make the connection as to what the hell is causing it. Lower grade fuel? Temperature? I don't know. I've learned to live with it but it sure can be irritating sometimes. I sure would like to figure it out if for nothing else other than the fact it's been plaguing me for a few years.

To answer several others that have posted.

No...the Techron did not solve the problem.

I swapped transmission fluid and filter....same problem.

I also changed transfer case fluid and had adaptation values reprogrammed by an indie...same problem.

If anyone else has the same symptoms and has come up with a solution I'd love to hear it.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the update FrenchX3.

I found this thread and may just try to get my DME flashed.
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=966614
Old 08-14-2014, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: 06 x3 M
I'm having the same problems. Chugging under light to moderate acceleration or going uphill and between 3k-4500. Had O2 code, replaced it and did plugs. A bit smoother but still chugging.
I'm really leaning towards the transfer case actuator gear issue. Some report a very similar chugging before failure. Since I can have the thing out in a couple hours for inspection, I'm seriously considering pulling mine next week and having a look and doing the old gear spinning trick for now if it looks bad.
But seriously; there are a LOT of people complaining of a chugging with NO solution. I've had a lot of cars and car problems, but never felt a chugging like this, and yet, it's common among us. Perhaps we need a master thread?
Old 08-15-2014, 12:01 PM

Let us know what you find when you inspect the actuator.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:03 PM

I had my adaptation values redone when I changed the transfer case oil. I had my DME reflashed at the same time. It had no effect on the chugging issue.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0
transfer case actuator gear replacement - not a chugging fix :(

Hi Guys,

I have a 2005 X3 3.0 automatic with the same problem - it's also driving me crazy. I've been dealing with it for 2 years.

I replaced my transfer case actuator gear a few months ago. Access is difficult. I did it in the driveway on jack stands and had to undo the mounts by the TC and lower it on a jack to get access to the torx bolts on the actuator. I'm an inexperienced DIYer but was able to pull it off in 3-4 hours. Doing it with the car on a lift and a real transmission jack would have saved me a lot of time. Good news is that the gear I bought on Amazon for $50 was an exact fit
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Bad news is that the old gear (about 100k miles) wasn't really that worn and it didn't fix my problem. I did feel like acceleration was a bit smoother in all gears after replacement of the gear.

I replaced my 2 pre-cat O2 sensors several years ago, no improvement. (one at the stealership, one on my own).

Last weekend I replaced my VANOS seals (from Beisen) and spark plugs (and valve cover gasket, which was leaking on the exhaust manifold) - noticed improvement and thought I had fixed the problem for a day or two, but no... I drive 80 miles on the highway every day and I notice it chugging specifically on hills and normally in 4th gear under acceleration. When you crest the hill and it shifts back into 5th on its own the chugging stops. If I put the tranny in manual mode and leave it in 5th going up hill there isn't as much (hardly any) chugging. I was contemplating tranny filter fluid swap as well. It feels like the chugging is when it is thinking about shifting. When the o2 sensor was changed by the dealership I had them update the "hill program" for the tranny, no help.

Less chugging issue after VANOS work but still there. I was contemplating changing the air intake boot and the intake air temperature. A while back I had an indy shop pull a CEL code and it was for the intake air temperature sensor.

Occasionally I still get a CEL and it seems like the engine runs a little better with the light on...

French I appreciate everything you've documented about this but it doesn't give me a lot of hope of ever resolving it. I don't know much about transmissions but is it possible there's a syncro or something that could be replaced for 4th gear?

Mike
Old 08-15-2014, 08:38 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
Just a thought...

How long has it been since you guys changed the CCV valve and hoses? The generally only last about 60-65K miles. When mine got clogged I was having some similar issues that went away after I changed it out.
Keep in mind that the valve runs to the intake manifold in two locations and a bad one can cause oil to be sucked into the intake and burned (not good on the 02 sensors or the CATs).
A bad valve won't throw a code itself but might cause some other components to go bad and code. If clogged they usually cause white smoke at start-up, but not all the time. Mine would go for a week without blowing smoke out the exhaust and then- POOF! Big white cloud. A partially clogged valve might not do that but as oil builds up in the valve a little could be ingested or the vacuum flow could get blocked.

Last edited by Ishniknork; 08-15-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:59 AM

I did my ccv system at about 120k. There were no symptoms but I changed it any way. That did'nt help this problem.

At this point I don't know what is causing this issue. It could definitely be something in the tranny. I wish these things had tranny dipsticks so you cpuld do a proper tranny flush. The fluid/filter swap is easy but doesn't get all the crud out of the system. I suppose this could be transmission shudder. I've had other vehicles suffer from that but the symptoms were a little different. A tranny flush remedied that problem immediately.

Last edited by Frenchx3; 08-16-2014 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:40 AM

Well I spoke to soon. I thought the issue went away after a bottle of techron and a new tank of gas. Its back however not as pronounced as before. I'm really thinking it's something to do with the self learning transmission software. Not sure though.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:59 PM

Mein Auto: 06 x3 M
please subscribe to the master thread I'm making and post your success' and failures there
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=790428
Old 08-25-2014, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Quote:
UPDATE

This weekend I decided to throw a bottle of injector cleaner in thinking it might help. I had run a couple bottles through last winter with no major improvement but it was the cheap stuff. This time around I bought some Chevron Techron Fuel injector cleaner for about 8 bucks. I'm totally flabbergasted... the problem has almost completely gone away after a half of tank of gas. I used to be able to make the stutter/hesitation happen at will in the 2500-3500 RPM range, now it is only slightly noticeable on occasion.

I've been dealing with this for almost a year and really chasing it for the last several months. The good news is it made me do a lot of the preventative stuff which is good. I think I'll change the fuel filter and run a few more bottles through. I'm crossing my fingers that this was the problem.

Hopefully these posts will help someone else out......
How did you make out with your misfire problem.I stlii have mine after doing almost every
thing listed before
Old 08-25-2014, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0
torque converter

Hi guys

this post from bavauto seems to outline the problem we're having.

http://blog.bavauto.com/11812/bmw-tr...verter-clutch/

if the torque converter in the transmission isn't functioning properly it could/would cause our symptoms. unfortunately, as far as I can tell, if a transmission fluid and filter change don't solve the issues, the only way to get to the torque converter is to remove the transmission from the car. the post does describe oily electrical connectors as a problem, so I'm going to clean mine up. they are filthy from an oil filter housing gasket leak.

As an aside - I am getting 2 mpg better after changing my spark plugs and rebuilding my vanos, so here's to small victories!
Old 08-28-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron2500 View Post
Hi guys

this post from bavauto seems to outline the problem we're having.

http://blog.bavauto.com/11812/bmw-tr...verter-clutch/

if the torque converter in the transmission isn't functioning properly it could/would cause our symptoms. unfortunately, as far as I can tell, if a transmission fluid and filter change don't solve the issues, the only way to get to the torque converter is to remove the transmission from the car. the post does describe oily electrical connectors as a problem, so I'm going to clean mine up. they are filthy from an oil filter housing gasket leak.

As an aside - I am getting 2 mpg better after changing my spark plugs and rebuilding my vanos, so here's to small victories!

My symptoms happen in lower gears as well so I don't believe this is the problem in my case. I am able to get the chugging to occur in 3rd and in 4th gear at 2800-3200 rpm by shifting in manual mode.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Quote:
UPDATE

This weekend I decided to throw a bottle of injector cleaner in thinking it might help. I had run a couple bottles through last winter with no major improvement but it was the cheap stuff. This time around I bought some Chevron Techron Fuel injector cleaner for about 8 bucks. I'm totally flabbergasted... the problem has almost completely gone away after a half of tank of gas. I used to be able to make the stutter/hesitation happen at will in the 2500-3500 RPM range, now it is only slightly noticeable on occasion.

I've been dealing with this for almost a year and really chasing it for the last several months. The good news is it made me do a lot of the preventative stuff which is good. I think I'll change the fuel filter and run a few more bottles through. I'm crossing my fingers that this was the problem.

Hopefully these posts will help someone else out......
How you making out with the misfire problem
Old 09-09-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncord View Post
How you making out with the misfire problem
No change...The chugging remains.