Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > 2004 Events > Santa Barbara, CA - May 1

Santa Barbara, CA - May 1

Old 05-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Where do these kids get the money?

I am almost 40 and buying the car as a gift to myself. I went with a friend and as we walked around it seemed that these 60K+ cars where owned by kids in their early 20's! I have always thought of myself as a "young guy" but it was depressing to see basically teenagers driving the car that I am streatching to buy as an adult. I also fear that a good percentage of these kids will wrap their hopped up supercharged M3's around a tree somewhere. Good luck trust fund babies!

2011 535i
2003 540i-6 M-tech SOLD
1964 MGB Roadster
1980 International Scout II 345 v-8

2004 M3 Alpine White SOLD 2/14/09 We were in love
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2004, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Hi,
My wife and I were talking about this very point, how so many young people can afford a $60k car!
We figured they live at home, or have a room mate, have reasonbly good jobs, and most of their money goes for the car.
It would be great to have someone who is in their 20s and has an M3 to post.
Oh and as a side point, all the young people, and us older ones were VERY polite and well mannered, and made Bimmerfest a great experience, Thanks to all. Bob
Old 05-01-2004, 08:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to KnightRider
Mein Auto: E36 325is
well... you live and you learn. If they mess up their car, then I hope they learn from it. Sometimes I see the 16 year old kids with brand new 60k M3's and I guess im a little perturbed by it. I am somewhat glad I wasn't spoiled with an expensive fast M3, who knows what could happen. its kinda odd seeing 16 year old kids drive cars 6 times the cost of my car.

I can see your point, but theres not much you can really do about it. I know for sure I would not refuse a new M3 at the age of 16 if my parents offered it to me.

oh yeah and I like the E36 bodystyle better than the E46.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Stick Drive

Mein Auto: 330i, 911E, UZJ100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16hr Day
I am almost 40 and buying the car as a gift to myself. I went with a friend and as we walked around it seemed that these 60K+ cars where owned by kids in their early 20's! I have always thought of myself as a "young guy" but it was depressing to see basically teenagers driving the car that I am streatching to buy as an adult. I also fear that a good percentage of these kids will wrap their hopped up supercharged M3's around a tree somewhere. Good luck trust fund babies!
They lease
Old 05-01-2004, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 OB 330i
Quote:
If it makes you feel better, a buddy of mine that works at Ditech in Costa Mesa was telling me about a 24 year-old that bought an M3 and totalled it 13 days later. (Come to think of it, that probably wouldn't make anybody feel better, but I am sure you get what I am driving at - no pun!) The dude was even suspended. Now he takes the bus. And if that dude is on this board, I do feel for you, but...

Oh and when I was 16, I was driving around a Pontiac Sunbird.

Last edited by Patrick330i; 05-01-2004 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: 02' M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RXTECH
Hi,
My wife and I were talking about this very point, how so many young people can afford a $60k car!
Bob
HOW DO WE AFFORD IT...SIMPLE...We don't have WIFES!!!!
Old 05-01-2004, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchMan
Good point!!! lol Bob
Old 05-01-2004, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Good point!!! lol Bob

true, I have wife, kids, house, but, when I was 25 I had a good job making 1200 a week (almost 15 years ago) and I still couldn't afford a 60K car. And, it's not just the 60K, I saw all sorts of upgrades, Dinan, Supercharges, Wheels and so on, so now you are talking more like 70K+. If I could afford to buy my son an M3 as his first car I still wouldn't. I will probably cruise the police auctions for an old CHP car with a huge bumper. After all, you always seem to bend up your first car!

2011 535i
2003 540i-6 M-tech SOLD
1964 MGB Roadster

Old 05-01-2004, 10:10 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3 Cab
hmmm, I can't speak for others, but I started a business when I was 20 that has allowed me to buy the toys I want to buy. I got the M3 at 23.

Maybe the other early 20s M3 owners have good jobs that allow them to buy the stuff they want.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemusan
hmmm, I can't speak for others, but I started a business when I was 20 that has allowed me to buy the toys I want to buy. I got the M3 at 23.

Maybe the other early 20s M3 owners have good jobs that allow them to buy the stuff they want.

Kudos to you, however, I doubt you are the norm.

2011 535i
2003 540i-6 M-tech SOLD
1964 MGB Roadster

Old 05-01-2004, 10:40 PM
...worked on the railroad

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Quote:

Or...'Tax Deductions' (also known as offspring, issue, progeny, rugrats, children....)

Hope you guys had a good time!
Old 05-02-2004, 02:27 AM
^yup, it's me^

Mein Auto: Teilsortierfachentdeckung
I don't know where they get the bucks, but god bless 'em for spending it modding the cars. Gives low rent guys like me something to oogle and dream of and keeps thousands of car crazy people employed. I imagine the chicks dig it too. I'm just depressed that I missed the fest and all the people this year.

Curator of the Museum of Unfinished Projects

Old 05-02-2004, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW M3 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmwvr
They lease
More like parents lease...hehehe

I gotta admit I have had help with my car since I am still a student, but I work on the side doing things I enjoy such as euro tuning and also promotional and clothing. I also put the down payment on my car in when I got it back in 2000...Just grateful my parents haven't spoiled me as bad as some people...it's not all fun and games. Actually looking forward to my job this may...
Old 05-02-2004, 05:50 AM
95NU>*

Mein Auto: '04 Imola/Cinn M3
Quote:
That would be wives. Wife = singular. Wives = plural.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
If you have no debt of any kind, and car is your passion, and you have a good paying job, it is doable.

I got my first E36 M3 at 23 as a consolation after I didn't marry my college gf.

Second one at 24 (first one was auto, and I mended my wayward ways and sold it, took a loss, and got one with proper 5 speed gearbox 10 months later).

I got my E46 M3 that was killed by Savage BMW at 27.

I got my Turbo at 30, part of it again was as a consolation to not getting married to the gf at the time.

Not having student loan was a big blessing that allowed me to spend my $$ on what I wanted to spend on, cars.

Last edited by Stuka; 05-02-2004 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:45 AM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 535ix, GL450, 991S
Quote:
It comes down to something very simple .. .What might seem like a lot of money to you might not be for others . . . Here you are driving around a $60k car and the guy who can barely afford a used Hyundai see's you and thinks to himself how he can never afford what you have and wonders how in the world anyone so young (being only 40) can afford such an expensive car.

It's all relative ...
Old 05-02-2004, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: The Best of Both Worlds
Im in my 20's, but I live at home and pretty much have no bills. I can make the payment for my cars, and still have enough money to get by. Im sure if you were single and had virtually no bills to pay you could be driving around a ferrari or 100K+ car of some sort. Pretty much most of all my money goes into my cars. Prob 75-80 %. You guys got kids, a wife, mortgage, etc.. etc..
Old 05-02-2004, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
The other thing to keep in mind is that while it might *seem* (at bimmerfest, on some messageboards, etc) so many 20-sometings are driving around in 60k cars, in reality, you are taking about a very, very small percentage of the overall population. The tiny percentage that do can easily be explained by:
-A few that happen to be successful at a young age (coupled w/ lack of debt and other financial obligations)
-Parents may be helping out
-Independently wealthy (trust fund)-- although I bet this is an even smaller percentage.
-Ok job + willingness to spend nearly every cent earned on car (unforunately, this may explain the bulk of the small percentage)
Old 05-02-2004, 03:33 PM
SB & Vegas

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328 Convertible
Quote:
Hi,
We figured they live at home, or have a room mate, have reasonbly good jobs, and most of their money goes for the car.
It would be great to have someone who is in their 20s and has an M3 to post.
Oh and as a side point, all the young people, and us older ones were VERY polite and well mannered, and made Bimmerfest a great experience, Thanks to all. Bob

Yup, I bet you its like 60% of expensive cars, that most of the kids live at Home with parents and have good jobs. Especially when lease rates are soo low. A 325 is like $289 a month!
Old 05-02-2004, 03:36 PM
SB & Vegas

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328 Convertible
Quote:

thats is sooo true. when I was single with a condo, heck I was even thinking of getting an M3 convert buy! My payment was going to be like $800 a month, but I LoVE! the M3.

I get a permanent lady(and Im happy) and settled for a new G35.

but Im eyeing the Z now.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 04 IR 330Ci ZHP
I'm a Senior Computer programmer, and run my own business. I bought my first 328is when I was 18 and just purchased my new 330Ci ZHP and paid cash.

Like it's mentioned above I think only a very small population (which you see at these events) that are young and can afford expensive cars. I think you are just seeing the few guys who have become successful at a young age. However this is California where money is everywhere. So it could be a combination of parents success and child's success...not sure.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: BRAND NEW M3 BABY!!!!!
damn so many of the older people getting pissed at the younger people. Im 18 and drive a 04 M3, and all i have to say is i work my ass off for that car and my parents only put 20K down for me and im paying 800 a month for the next four years.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '10 Mazda3 HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3guyCA
damn so many of the older people getting pissed at the younger people. Im 18 and drive a 04 M3, and all i have to say is i work my ass off for that car and my parents only put 20K down for me and im paying 800 a month for the next four years.
I don't think it is a matter of being "pissed" more than just not figuring out how you do it.

Most of us "older" folks just now getting our BMWs probably have come from more humble backgrounds where our folks could never have dropped $20K to help us with a car. Heck, my folks went into debt just helping me get out of college.

I admit I am amazed as well. I bought my car when I was 26, but it was a stipper 323i (only SP, CD and moonroof) and I was going out on a limb payments wise to even afford that...and I was single at the time! Now days, I am married with kids and there is no chance I will buy a car that expensive again for a looonnnggg time. Probably not a BMW either due to the high price of maintenance

Once my girls are grown and I don't work for the government any more maybe...but that is too far out to think about...

Last edited by Desertnate; 05-02-2004 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
and my parents only put 20K down for me
Old 05-02-2004, 07:07 PM

Quote:
ONLY 20K down??? Boy you should bring your Mom a 200lb box of candy daily
and buy your Dad the best set of Golf clubs you can find!!
ONLY 20K down??
YOU HAVE GREAT PARENTS!! Bob