Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 2008
Unhappy Dissapointing Acceleration from standstill 2008 X5 3.0Si

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2008 X5 3.0Si from my local BMW dealer as part of their "Certified Series" where they do a full inspection and provide 2 additional years of warranty. This is my first experience with BMW. I like the car but I am finding the acceleration from standstill at a stop sign very disappointing. I used to drive a minivan and I can't believe that I liked my minivan acceleration better than a BMW. When I start off from a stop sign it seems to rev up but you do not feel it accelerate much and then it seem to shift into a higher gear making it feel like a hesitation. I feel unsafe pulling into busy traffic as I really have to gun it to be sure I make it in time. I am seeking some feedback from the X5 community to know if this acceleration is typical of the X5 as I have found a few items on the internet that seem to say so as it is a very heavy vehicle.

I have had the car back to the dealer last week but they could not find any reported faults so they just reset the transmission so it can re learn my driving style but it doesn't seem to have helped much. I might go back and ask to test dive another 2008 off of their used car lot so I can compare. Any feedback from X5 drivers out there would be appreciated and if anyone has had this experience and found a problem and a solution.

Thanks,

Jim
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenry View Post
I have had the car back to the dealer last week but they could not find any reported faults so they just reset the transmission so it can re learn my driving style but it doesn't seem to have helped much. I might go back and ask to test dive another 2008 off of their used car lot so I can compare. Any feedback from X5 drivers out there would be appreciated and if anyone has had this experience and found a problem and a solution.
I think the idea of driving a second or third for comparison purposes is an excellent one (and what I was going to advise you to do). I'd also recommend you try the transmission in Sport mode to see if you like the response better. On the 3-series cars there is a delay when pressing the gas pedal and when the vehicle begins to move forward. This is to help fuel economy and is lessened when using sport mode.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:01 PM

Unhappy

Thanks for the reply,

I have tried it in sport mode but it just seem to shift at a higher rpm. I think I will try and drive another one at the dealer for comparison. When i took the car in last week they gave me some Chevy as a loaner for the day and it was nice and snappy off the start. I just can't believe if the acceleration is normal that the X5 reviews would be quite severe. Do you find the acceleration lower than other vehicles you have owned? If the acceleration turns our to be normal I will regret my purchase decision but know it is my own fault as I only went for a 10min test drive mostly on the highway where everything is fine.

I'll keep you posted on my test drive.

Jim
Old 11-27-2011, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: 5
It's a heavy vehicle with a 200 and change HP naturally aspirated engine.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i M Sport
I had a 2008 X5 3.0si and unfortunately the acceleration is very poor. Its a NA engine making 260 hp an 220 ftlbs torque. The vehicle is very heavy. There is nothing wrong with your X5, its just not a quick vehicle.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5
"I should have had a V8"
Old 11-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
1. You are coming to find out the 'certified' thing is pretty much a scam that lets dealers charge much more than the car is worth...only benefit is the warranty. The 'full inspection' is a joke.

2. A COMMON complaint of 2007/2008 X5 30s is the poor acceleration and shifting. Did you research this prior to buying? Or test drive a few? Sadly I think you will find there isn't much that can be done... folks tended to complain, bring them in repeatedly, and then finally give up.... even stranger, it seemed to not affect every car to the same degree....
Old 11-27-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply,

I have tried it in sport mode but it just seem to shift at a higher rpm. I think I will try and drive another one at the dealer for comparison. When i took the car in last week they gave me some Chevy as a loaner for the day and it was nice and snappy off the start. I just can't believe if the acceleration is normal that the X5 reviews would be quite severe. Do you find the acceleration lower than other vehicles you have owned? If the acceleration turns our to be normal I will regret my purchase decision but know it is my own fault as I only went for a 10min test drive mostly on the highway where everything is fine.

I'll keep you posted on my test drive.
I have a 4.8 so acceleration isn't a problem. I have test driven a 3.0si and didn't find it objectionable but I prefer the 4.8.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: E70 X5/E60 528i
I have a 4.8i and when I first got her I too felt the hesitation, took it to the dealer a few times, they did a software update and reset the tranny, to be honest it didn't change a thing. however after a couple of months either I got used to it or eventually learned my driving but I don't feel it anymore, as a matter of fact lately when I hit the sport button I feel like am in a new car give it sometime you will see. put some pics up let see her.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1naztyx5 View Post
I have a 4.8i and when I first got her I too felt the hesitation, took it to the dealer a few times, they did a software update and reset the tranny, to be honest it didn't change a thing. however after a couple of months either I got used to it or eventually learned my driving but I don't feel it anymore, as a matter of fact lately when I hit the sport button I feel like am in a new car give it sometime you will see. put some pics up let see her.
I agree with this. The 3.0 is not a rocket but it is a very nice vehicle. I think once the OP learns the vehicle he won't regret his decision. BMW is not about acceleration but a whole package.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:21 PM

Wink

Thanks, you guys are giving me hope.

I think I will go back to the dealer to test drive another 2008 just to compare and make sure there is nothing wrong. I will ask about the latest software update and make sure they install the latest and have everything reset. I will then give us a chance to "get to know each other" sort o speak. Any idea how I can tell on my own what software version it has and what is the latest? Any idea how long it should take to learn my driving and if I should avoid gunning it from stops until it does? Is the sport mode always the same or does it "learn" too?

Jim
Old 11-27-2011, 05:42 PM

Does anyone know how I can reset the transmissions settings myself without having to takke it back to the dealer?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 11-27-2011, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci 2012 x5
Hate to say it the 3.0 is a dog, BMW knew it thats why it was discontinued and the new 3.5 that took its place has a turbo in it. Didn't you test drive it ?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know how I can reset the transmissions settings myself without having to takke it back to the dealer?

Thanks,

Jim
This is something you can do yourself. Unfortunately I don't know the specifics on how to do it. Search this forum for the proceedure.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: E70 X5/E60 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
This is something you can do yourself. Unfortunately I don't know the specifics on how to do it. Search this forum for the proceedure.
correct! and even if you find the search on here a little difficult try goggle it should come right up, if am not mistaking you put key In ignition and press start without holding the brake when the ignition is "open" press the gas pedal all the way dow for about 30 seconds you may hear a noise don't worry is normal or so I read. that should reset the tranny. but look it up just to be safe. and regards to the other comment the 3.0 is no " dog" is not the fastest and it doesn't need to be. is a BMW X5 the sexist best handling SAV out there and this one is yours!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danwilz View Post
Hate to say it the 3.0 is a dog, BMW knew it thats why it was discontinued and the new 3.5 that took its place has a turbo in it. Didn't you test drive it ?
A "dog" is a bit of a stretch... but it is certainly not "quick" from any point of view. BMW ran with that engine for many, many years, and it was replaced over fuel economy, not acceleration.

My '08 X5 3.0si did 0-60 in about 8.5 seconds (slightly slower than my '03 X5 3.0). It is sluggish, but it works its ass off to keep the driver happy — I used mine to tow 5,500 pounds quite often!

Its downfall is the lack of torque (the engine was designed for lighter cars)... that is why I went diesel this time.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'15 Volkswagen Golf TDI 6MT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as Editor-in-Chief for Autoweb!
Old 11-27-2011, 11:01 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
I had a 2007 and a 2008, and can say with conviction that the 3 liter NA 6 is definitely NOT a dog. It does not give you neck-snapping acceleration, but it is perfectly adequate - you just have to let it rev. I found Sport mode to be adequate driving around town, and Manual mode more enjoyable when I wanted to have fun. I can think of a whole bunch of things that might be wrong with your car:

1. The adaptive transmission learned the previous owner's "sedate" driving style, and needs to learn yours.
2. You are running the car on regular unleaded instead of premium.
3. You have a clogged air filter.
4. You have a faulty Throttle Position Sensor, which seems to be a recurring problem with most BMW's.
5. You have a faulty Mass Airflow Sensor
6. Fouled spark plugs.

4 through 6 should throw a code causing the "Check Engine Light" to illuminate, but since you never know the complete story of a used car, I throw them out there anyway.

My recommendation is to fill up with the highest quality premium fuel you can find, and drive the car like you stole it for a week. (Use Manual mode as much as possible, and wind it out). Good luck.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 11-28-2011, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Jim, that Chevy they gave you, the one with the "snappy" acceleration, didn't happen to be a Camero Z28 did it? Kind of spoils you when you get one for a loaner
Old 11-29-2011, 10:44 AM

My complaint is really the acceleration in the first 0-3 seconds. I am not expecting a muscle car type performance but it just seems as if the engine is revving up but the torque converter is slipping too much. Sport mode is a bit better but still seems to slip too much in the first 0-3 seconds. The sport mode delays the shift to higher rpms which helps the lag feeling a bit but pulling out into heavy traffic has become a real dread. I think I need to test drive another 08 3.0si to be sure I don't have a specific issue. I tried the two types of reset procedure listed on the forums but they didn't seem to do anything and I saw a posting somewhere else fro a BMW mechanic who said that they were actual reset procedures for other model BMW's but they do not work for the X5. I'll see what the dealer says on Thursday when I take it back.

On another note that I did not mention, the iDrive screen had gone blank and the DVD in the rear keeps cutting power. The dealer replaced the battery last week but the screen went black once since and the DVD keeps cutting off. I assumed that these were unrelated to the acceleration. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 11-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
My complaint is really the acceleration in the first 0-3 seconds. I am not expecting a muscle car type performance but it just seems as if the engine is revving up but the torque converter is slipping too much. Sport mode is a bit better but still seems to slip too much in the first 0-3 seconds. The sport mode delays the shift to higher rpms which helps the lag feeling a bit but pulling out into heavy traffic has become a real dread. I think I need to test drive another 08 3.0si to be sure I don't have a specific issue. I tried the two types of reset procedure listed on the forums but they didn't seem to do anything and I saw a posting somewhere else fro a BMW mechanic who said that they were actual reset procedures for other model BMW's but they do not work for the X5. I'll see what the dealer says on Thursday when I take it back.

On another note that I did not mention, the iDrive screen had gone blank and the DVD in the rear keeps cutting power. The dealer replaced the battery last week but the screen went black once since and the DVD keeps cutting off. I assumed that these were unrelated to the acceleration. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim
The "lag" you speak of is quite common with the naturally aspirated 3.0-liter. Blame the drive-by-wire and throttle electronics... you just have to get used to it if your dealer has already updated the software.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'15 Volkswagen Golf TDI 6MT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as Editor-in-Chief for Autoweb!
Old 11-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Mmmmmm…

Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
I read somewhere that the NA X5 30 was the slowest vehicle BMW sells in their current lineup in the US, so I wouldn't be surprised it feels like it's slow. That said I've driven one and it wasn't really an issue. I just had to press down the throttle more.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: '08 X5
I'm with the others that believe that the 3.0 is adequate. It's not a speedster off the line, but for what it is with 6 cylinders, it could be a WHOLE lot worse.

To the OP, you can try resetting your throttle response to see if that will help:

Reset throttle response:

1) Insert the key & push the start button. (Don't touch the brake pedal & don't remove the key at any time)

2) Press & hold the accelerator down for 10 seconds.

3) Without releasing the accelerator push the start button.

4) Release the accelerator.

5) Wait a full 2 minutes.

6) Start the car normally & drive to see if it's more responsive.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5M
Maybe try a sprint booster to help the accleration a bit.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

Jim
Sounds like the issue might be specific to your vehicle. I test drove a 3.0Si and didn't experience what you described. Definitely drive another one to compare.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 and 335i
There is nothing wrong with it . It is just not quick. My X5 is a dog compared to my other cars. Resetting throttle & trans doesn't do a thing. The throttle lag is built in. I just had a 2011 328 for a loaner and the throttle lag was unbearable. Just give it more throttle when you go and it will be fine. You will get use to it.
07 335 coupe - sold