Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: nissan 350z
428i Technology Package ; 3150 dollars

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping to buy the new 4 series soon. I know it's better to go in to the dealer to check everything out first handed but what are your opinions on the technology package? So many of the cars on the lot have them but I don't really see the need to pay 3k for having navi. I generally always just hook up my smartphone and use the navigation that way. It still speaks to me loudly through the car speakers so...

head up display is sort of cool but...man

your opinions?

Technology Package
Head-Up Display
Navigation System w/Touchpad
Remote Services
Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
BMW Online & BMW Apps
Enhanced USB & Bluetooth w/Smartphone Integration
Instrument Cluster w/Extended Contents

GREATLY appreciate your help
-David

Last edited by deekayho; 10-01-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by deekayho View Post
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping to buy the new 4 series soon. I know it's better to go in to the dealer to check everything out first handed but what are your opinions on the technology package? So many of the cars on the lot have them but I don't really see the need to pay 3k for having navi. I generally always just hook up my smartphone and use the navigation that way. It still speaks to me loudly through the car speakers so...

Oh can someone also briefly explain what head up display means?

your opinions?

Technology Package
Head-Up Display
Navigation System w/Touchpad
Remote Services
Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
BMW Online & BMW Apps
Enhanced USB & Bluetooth w/Smartphone Integration
Instrument Cluster w/Extended Contents

GREATLY appreciate your help
-David
The heads up display projects information like speed and navigation directions on the windshield in front of the driver. IMO the tech package is worth every penny, it adds much more than just navigation. You get a music storage on the hard drive, bluetooth streaming, a bigger navigation display and a much nicer instrument cluster.

You also have the option of just getting the naviation system and extended controls without the heads up display to save money.

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Old 10-01-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
The heads up display projects information like speed and navigation directions on the windshield in front of the driver. IMO the tech package is worth every penny, it adds much more than just navigation. You get a music storage on the hard drive, bluetooth streaming, a bigger navigation display and a much nicer instrument cluster.

You also have the option of just getting the naviation system and extended controls without the heads up display to save money.

oh I looked into the heads up display and to be quite honest, it's cool! it's very futuristic and I can see it being helpful but with some getting-used to.

As for the navi display, you mentioned it's larger? that would be a big catch and would entice me to buy it. Do you by chance know the dimensions from the before and after? I always thought the display on the dash was a set size.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
oh I looked into the heads up display and to be quite honest, it's cool! it's very futuristic and I can see it being helpful but with some getting-used to.

As for the navi display, you mentioned it's larger? that would be a big catch and would entice me to buy it. Do you by chance know the dimensions from the before and after? I always thought the display on the dash was a set size.
Standard screen is 6.5", Nav is 8.8" diagonal. You should take a physical look at your dealer and play around with the controls and display for your decision.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:

Go to this link, they have photos of both displays. You really need the navigation for a great experience. The standard unit is very limited.

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Old 10-01-2014, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
It's really expensive but worth it for me, changes the whole feel of the car inside. Of course you can do nav from your phone but it's a pain. I would never buy any car without Nav in future, not just BMW.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i M-Sport
Tech pkg = HUD + Nav (All the extra goodies come with Nav)

IMHO you need to get Nav at a minimum. That option gives you the bigger screen which is well worth it. Forget about whether you actually use GPS in the car or on your phone, the larger screen gives a better presentation and overall look.

You have to decide if the extra $1k for the HUD is worth your while.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:48 PM

I appreciate everyone's response. very helpful and already I believe I have come to a conclusion that I won't regret. The price, a bit hefty but I think still worth it.

I always thought the navi was the same size and the larger screen does make quite a difference in appearance.

I will go in to check the car out first hand!