Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:43 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Question Apple or Android? Which Phone works better with the BMW Apps?

Time for a new phone and before I get locked into another 2 year contract I want to make sure I get the phone that works better with the F30 BMW Apps system.

The Androids seems to have some more customization available on the screens but I want to know if it is as capable as the Apple? My instinct says the Apple because BMW only has the "Snap in Adapter" for the Apple 3 & 4 iPhones, however I would get a new iPhone 5 if I go the Apple route which the adapter is not yet available.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/37...AP-IN-ADAPTERS

I do not want this to be an Apple is better than Android or vise-versa, just do both phones work equally well with the Apps program or is one better than the other?

Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone Snap in Adapter.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	367785Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone 5.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	367786Click image for larger version

Name:	Android.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	367787

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats

Last edited by kpgray; 03-23-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
Time for a new phone and before I get locked into another 2 year contract I want to make sure I get the phone that works better with the F30 BMW Apps system.

The Androids seems to have some more customization available on the screens but I want to know if it is as capable as the Apple? My instinct says the Apple because BMW only has the "Snap in Adapter" for the Apple 3 & 4 iPhones, however I would get a new iPhone 5 if I go the Apple route which the adapter is not yet available.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/37...AP-IN-ADAPTERS

I do not want this to be an Apple is better than Android or vise-versa, just do both phones work equally well with the Apps program or is one better than the other?

Attachment 367785
No argument. Apple

BMW doesn't support android with BMW apps option
Old 03-23-2013, 06:10 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:

You do not want or need the snap-in adapter.

The Good About the Cradle + Snap-In Adapter:

Apple's UI
Video Out (only when the car is not moving)
Other Stuff (non-critical like antenna, charging, fan tweaks)

The Bad About the Cradle + Snap-In Adapter:

Can't do split-screen with Nav map, just a big photo of the LP art when playing.
When navigating to a destination, no overtakes of the screen with lanes or arrows.
Inconsistent look/feel with Satellite, FM, and AM functionality especially in split-screen.
Traps your phone in the armrest.

Read this post:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=78

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 03-23-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:16 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Quote:
No argument. Apple

BMW doesn't support android with BMW apps option
Thanks Kar Don, That was simple and to the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
You do not want or need the snap-in adapter.
The Good About the Cradle + Snap-In Adapter:
The Bad About the Cradle + Snap-In Adapter:
BJ
Thanks BJ, does this work with the Bluetooth or does it work better with the cable?

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 03-23-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks Kar Don, That was simple and to the point.

Thanks BJ, does this work with the Bluetooth or does it work better with the cable?
Here's the truth: you need a beater iPod Touch in your armrest and you need your iPhone 5 free and sitting in a cup holder connected via Bluetooth. That is how to make the best of both worlds; the best and most independent connection of your phone and the way to get the most capacity for your iTunes music collection into iDrive.

Fundamentally, the issue with BMW apps besides their limited capabilities is that it forces you to sync your phone to the car with a wire. Most of us who have iPhones also have old iPods, and an old iPod sitting trapped in your armrest puts the music where needs to be and allows your phone to be where it needs to be.

If you do not want an iPod Touch in your armrest and only want to go with the iPhone, you have two choices:

1. Plug your iPhone into the armrest USB port with a white Apple cable. This will charge your phone, connect you for telephony, connect you for music, and connect you for apps. The upside is full functionality. The downside is your phone is tethered to the car and trapped in an armrest.

2. Connect your phone only through Bluetooth. This will connect you for telephony, and allow you to stream music wirelessly from your iPhone into iDrive. The upside is complete freedom for your phone, never having to plug and unplug and open and close armrests which can get very tired very quickly. The downside is your phone will not charge, you will not have apps, and you lose significant sound quality in the streaming process.

Either way, going with just an iPhone is a compromise. That is why many of us choose to have two devices in the car. The iPhone connected via Bluetooth for telephony, texts, etc. And an old iPod connected strictly for a large iTunes music collection. We lose BMW apps in that set up, but right now BMW apps is lame and there isn't much there.

As relates to your original question about Android, you don't want that. There is even less functionality available for your car, the Android operating system is fragmented thus BMW will never be able to keep up with it. That is why the iPhone is so good. It's one thing. It's easy for a car company to design around. With other operating systems and other phones, everything is constantly tweaked and changed by the hardware manufacturers (Motorola, HTC) as well as the content providers (AT&T, Verizon).

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 03-23-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 328i 2013 Sport Line
I have employed the iPhone and iTouch combo and can take advantage do everything BMW currently offers.

By using my iPhone 5 with Bluetooth, I get telephone calls, contacts, texts and emails.

Using the iTouch 4 with the USB in the armrest I can access my iTunes library. Using my iPhone as a Hot Spot, I can access Pandora, Stitcher, BMW Apps. BMW Apps gets me RSS News Feeds, Facebook news feeds, Twitter, Web Radio, and my Calendar.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i M Sport Alpine
The iPhone 5 gives you calender and messages (maybe with future updates), As a phone interface I prefer my new Blackberry Z10 syncs great for bluetooth streaming
, voice calls, text and mail reading is coming..
Old 03-23-2013, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: 13' 335i M-Sport 6MT
I put my entire music library on this.

http://www.frys.com/product/7418005?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Takes up virtually no space at all in the armrest. Stores my entire library, plus I get album art (had to manually embed album art in each m3, but that was just 1 night of pain).
Old 03-23-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
As relates to your original question about Android, you don't want that. There is even less functionality available for your car, the Android operating system is fragmented thus BMW will never be able to keep up with it.
You *may* want that. Rumor has it that BMW will officially begin supporting Android starting in July 2013. Given Android's popularity, it would be silly of BMW to ignore them for much longer.

Now if you have a Windows Phone...
Old 03-23-2013, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Here's the truth: you need a beater iPod Touch in your armrest and you need your iPhone 5 free and sitting in a cup holder connected via Bluetooth. That is how to make the best of both worlds; the best and most independent connection of your phone and the way to get the most capacity for your iTunes music collection into iDrive.

Fundamentally, the issue with BMW apps besides their limited capabilities is that it forces you to sync your phone to the car with a wire. Most of us who have iPhones also have old iPods, and an old iPod sitting trapped in your armrest puts the music where needs to be and allows your phone to be where it needs to be.

If you do not want an iPod Touch in your armrest and only want to go with the iPhone, you have two choices:

1. Plug your iPhone into the armrest USB port with a white Apple cable. This will charge your phone, connect you for telephony, connect you for music, and connect you for apps. The upside is full functionality. The downside is your phone is tethered to the car and trapped in an armrest.

2. Connect your phone only through Bluetooth. This will connect you for telephony, and allow you to stream music wirelessly from your iPhone into iDrive. The upside is complete freedom for your phone, never having to plug and unplug and open and close armrests which can get very tired very quickly. The downside is your phone will not charge, you will not have apps, and you lose significant sound quality in the streaming process.

Either way, going with just an iPhone is a compromise. That is why many of us choose to have two devices in the car. The iPhone connected via Bluetooth for telephony, texts, etc. And an old iPod connected strictly for a large iTunes music collection. We lose BMW apps in that set up, but right now BMW apps is lame and there isn't much there.

As relates to your original question about Android, you don't want that. There is even less functionality available for your car, the Android operating system is fragmented thus BMW will never be able to keep up with it. That is why the iPhone is so good. It's one thing. It's easy for a car company to design around. With other operating systems and other phones, everything is constantly tweaked and changed by the hardware manufacturers (Motorola, HTC) as well as the content providers (AT&T, Verizon).

BJ
This is all true. Right now, I'm connecting my iPhone 5 directly into the center console until I get an iPod touch.

It is sort of a pain to have to connect and disconnect it every time I get in and out of the car. In fact, today I was sort of in a hurry so I didn't even bother. So I was only connected via Bluetooth which is great for when you're just using the phone. Not so great for music.

But on a positive note, once it's connected, it's very nice.

In terms of Apple vs Android, I got to admit that I am sort of biased. I say Apple all the way. Plus, we own lots of Apple stock, so I am going with Apple no matter what anyway. There is no way I'd buy a competing product. That would be crazy.

Last edited by krash; 03-23-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
The downside is your phone will not charge, you will not have apps, and you lose significant sound quality in the streaming process.
Another downside, and the reason I stopped using Bluetooth for streaming music altogether, is that any other system sounds also get played through the car speakers.

I get a constant stream of emails, and each one dings the phone...which fades the music playback...and drives me nuts. This may just be an Android thing.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFlooner View Post
Another downside, and the reason I stopped using Bluetooth for streaming music altogether, is that any other system sounds also get played through the car speakers.

I get a constant stream of emails, and each one dings the phone...which fades the music playback...and drives me nuts. This may just be an Android thing.
Put it on vibrate. It stops that
Old 03-24-2013, 07:51 AM
328i xDrive Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmermeupscoty View Post
I have employed the iPhone and iTouch combo and can take advantage do everything BMW currently offers.

By using my iPhone 5 with Bluetooth, I get telephone calls, contacts, texts and emails.

Using the iTouch 4 with the USB in the armrest I can access my iTunes library. Using my iPhone as a Hot Spot, I can access Pandora, Stitcher, BMW Apps. BMW Apps gets me RSS News Feeds, Facebook news feeds, Twitter, Web Radio, and my Calendar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
This is all true. Right now, I'm connecting my iPhone 5 directly into the center console until I get an iPod touch....

But on a positive note, once it's connected, it's very nice....
Quote:
Here's the truth: you need a beater iPod Touch in your armrest and you need your iPhone 5 free and sitting in a cup holder connected via Bluetooth....

Either way, going with just an iPhone is a compromise...

As relates to your original question about Android, you don't want that. There is even less functionality available for your car, the Android operating system is fragmented thus BMW will never be able to keep up with it....BJ
Thank you all for the informative information, I will be getting the iPhone 5!

Old 03-24-2013, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
can't wait to here from some Android users so far i haven't had any issues using it
Old 03-24-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr29 View Post
can't wait to here from some Android users so far i haven't had any issues using it
I used to own an Droid 4 and loved it until I got the 328i. Tried my same set up of using the Android for calls, contacts and emails, and the iTouch for BMW Apps. Three problems convinced me to trade it for an iPhone 5:

1. Never able to get it to receive emails and texts, even though I tried all the tricks- rumor is that Jelly Bean might have what it takes to transfer the emails to the iDrive, but no timetable for when Droid 4 would get the update.
2. Had to plug the Droid into the lighter charger or I could literally watch the battery meter move down to zero
3. Would drop calls whenever I was using the Hot spot feature. I can only assume the Hot Spot app interfered with the Bluetooth on the Android.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 AM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
Quote:
Got 8GB "beater" Nano but recently transferred several gigs of MP3s to F30 hard drive. Isn't beater in armrest a duplication? Bought backup iPhone 5 lighting cable to dedicate to car but thus far have been streaming iP, cable still in box. Sirius is new toy for me but when subscription expires gonna have to rely on web radio and tunes library more. Thing about library is I listen to it all the time at home. Want to hear new stuff cruising.

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 03-24-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Pipes View Post

Got 8GB "beater" Nano but recently transferred several gigs of MP3s to F30 hard drive. Isn't beater in armrest a duplication?

Thing about library is I listen to it all the time at home.
I take it that you are not an iTunes power user, have not developed the passion for Playlists the way many of the rest of us do.

The beauty of an iPod in the armrest is that when you sync it to iTunes, all of your Playlists get updated, all the new music and Podcasts you've purchased get updated, your play counts get updated, and all are updated automatically, you don't have to do any work.

With the glove compartment hard drive solution, every time you download a new song or want to make a change to a Playlist, you have to do it manually on a thumb drive and in your glove box and then fumble through iDrive to import changes. That gets old very quickly.

BJ

Old 03-24-2013, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFlooner View Post
I put my entire music library on this.

http://www.frys.com/product/7418005?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Takes up virtually no space at all in the armrest. Stores my entire library, plus I get album art (had to manually embed album art in each m3, but that was just 1 night of pain).
How do you manually embed the album art into mp3 files? I see it when playing on my iPhone, but on a USB in the car I only have it for s few tracks. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:54 AM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
Quote:
I take it that you are not an iTunes power user, have not developed the passion for Playlists the way many of the rest of us do.

The beauty of an iPod in the armrest is that when you sync it to iTunes, all of your Playlists get updated, all the new music and Podcasts you've purchased get updated, your play counts get updated, and all are updated automatically, you don't have to do any work.

With the glove compartment hard drive solution, every time you download a new song or want to make a change to a Playlist, you have to do it manually on a thumb drive and in your glove box and then fumble through iDrive to import changes. That gets old very quickly.

BJ
Thanks BJ, that's why I asked. Am Playlist junkie of course but don't qualify as iTune's power user, LOL. Only had this car 33 days and getting hang of coordinating/utilizing all its gadgetry. Noticed playing tunes off hard drive is like vacationing in Siberia and have shied away. Gonna break out my beater Nano now and whip up M Sport Playlist.

UPDATE
Hooked up Nano and I concur the audio is more "wired" sounding and the Playlists, Artists, Genres, make navigation and monitoring library much easier.

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats

Last edited by Pappy Pipes; 03-24-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:

I disagree. Hooking up an iPhone 5 via USB and and using a mount to attach a holder is the best of all worlds. 100% Bluetooth functionality, BMW Apps, better sound than BT streaming, music app streaming (i.e. Spotify), and charging for your phone.

I have zero functionality compromises with this solution. There is a slight aesthetic penalty vs. keeping a Touch in the armrest, but an iPhone via BT + Touch plugged into armrest just has too many functionality compromises that I'm not willing to live with.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I disagree. Hooking up an iPhone 5 via USB and and using a mount to attach a holder is the best of all worlds. 100% Bluetooth functionality, BMW Apps, better sound than BT streaming, music app streaming (i.e. Spotify), and charging for your phone.

I have zero functionality compromises with this solution. There is a slight aesthetic penalty vs. keeping a Touch in the armrest, but an iPhone via BT + Touch plugged into armrest just has too many functionality compromises that I'm not willing to live with.
I could not get emails to work connecting the phone to the USB. Igit the impression that Bluetooth and USB in the same device at the same time did not play well together.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:

That's pretty cool, but that doesn't address the biggest issue with using a single device. I think it's a pain to have to disconnect and reconnect every time you get in and out of the car. But for now, that is precisely what I'm doing.

I do like the idea of having a permanent iPod in the car.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmermeupscoty View Post
I could not get emails to work connecting the phone to the USB. Igit the impression that Bluetooth and USB in the same device at the same time did not play well together.
I have not run into that problem.

Quote:
That's pretty cool, but that doesn't address the biggest issue with using a single device. I think it's a pain to have to disconnect and reconnect every time you get in and out of the car. But for now, that is precisely what I'm doing.

I do like the idea of having a permanent iPod in the car.
Get in the car, dock the phone, remove when you get out. It's 3 seconds, and slides right into the mount. No fusing with cords, etc. Not as nice as leaving it in your pocket, but you only have to dock the phone if you want to listen to music on the phone. For a quick trip, just leave it in your pocket. Bluetooth still works.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I have not run into that problem.

Get in the car, dock the phone, remove when you get out. It's 3 seconds, and slides right into the mount. No fusing with cords, etc. Not as nice as leaving it in your pocket, but you only have to dock the phone if you want to listen to music on the phone. For a quick trip, just leave it in your pocket. Bluetooth still works.
Yeah, except for the fact that I just went to the Supermarket. When I was in there, I wanted to call my wife, and then when I looked for my phone, I realized it was in my car.
What a pain in the ass.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah, except for the fact that I just went to the Supermarket. When I was in there, I wanted to call my wife, and then when I looked for my phone, I realized it was in my car.
What a pain in the ass.
When I used to use the media cradle in my M3, this used to happen to me as well. But using the Brodit cradle in my picture, it's never been a problem. It's inches away from the shifter, hard to miss!