Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:30 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post

Luxury cars in general have morphed, they're no longer a sign of being rich, like they were in the 70s or 80s. The rich are now driving Camrys.
Ah, no.

The rich are now driving $539 BMW F30's. It's just enough of a luxury car to keep up with our wealthy friends while not being ostentatious and not being thrown out of the country club.

Again, please stick to what you know. You are expert at buying a used car and keeping it for another decade. You are expert at the mechanical troubles and rattles of the E46. You are not expert at leasing. You are not expert at the car of choice for the wealthy.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-29-2012, 12:31 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
See, I want my 14 year old to want a BMW when he turns 17. I want him to drive that car, love that car, love being seen in that car. Because one day he's going to be 26 and in the early stages of a career and I want him to have a whole host of luxury-lusts so it drives him to be a financial success.

It's how you get the best toys, it's how you get the hottest women. You make a boatload of money.

And you need to get off your high-horse about what a BMW owner should/shouldn't be acting like. A BMW is a status-symbol, has been since the 1980's. Movies, TV shows, hip-hop videos, it's what it is. If being seen in a status-symbol bothers some people, they shouldn't buy them and pretend that they aren't.

BJ
Sadly, this is the majority of owners but people actually do get BMWs because of their slogan "the ultimate driving machine".

As for kids, I thought as parents our job is to teach them a balanced life. Where wealth should be tempered by humility and hard work. I definitely will make sure my kid knows that showing off isn't what life is about because all these material things don't make you happy.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
Why does the buyer pay MSRP+tax while you get a ton of discounts and no tax? Oh right, to help your case.

The buyer pays exactly what you negotiated, to be a good comparison. Otherwise I'll just say my buyer knows a guy who got him the car for $5000 under invoice.

Is a fair comparison too much to ask for?
Like I said, I'm done with the math wars. I'll talk philosophically all day, but I'm getting a migraine from all the numbers. I was never trying to make any "case". Was just simply articulating that the variance between the buyer and the leaser is not what most perceive it to be.

Run the math any way you want. Go distort the reality and come up with bizzarro figures like your $22,000 delta from yesterday. None of it matters.

In the end, we die. Drive as many new cars as you can before you do.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 11-29-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:40 PM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
i live under a bridge but hey at least i drive a BMW.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris328 View Post
i live under a bridge but hey at least i drive a BMW.
Now here's a man with his priorities straight.

BJ

Old 11-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: f10 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
Sadly, this is the majority of owners but people actually do get BMWs because of their slogan "the ultimate driving machine".

As for kids, I thought as parents our job is to teach them a balanced life. Where wealth should be tempered by humility and hard work. I definitely will make sure my kid knows that showing off isn't what life is about because all these material things don't make you happy.
nobody is saying here material things will make you automatically happy, but living in a 1 bedroom **** hole and have no ability to do anything in live because you live pay check to pay check will not make you happy either.... i rather not be happy with a ton of money and do whatever then not being happy and just get by...
Old 11-29-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:

1. "The Ultimate Driving Machine" doesn't just mean "feels like a race car". It also encompasses the entire driving experience. Leather seats, navigation systems, head-up displays, satellite radio, the works.

2. Those who don't like the perceptions and assumptions that come with driving status-symbols should stop driving them.

3. My kids are being taught about the detriment of a balanced life. My kids will know that it's all about the money. Because it is.

BJ

Old 11-29-2012, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Quote:

i grew up like that. i am not really a very materialistic person at all. i definitely am not defined or measure my success by the amoutn of crap i've accumulated. but i do know i love driving. and my new F30 is freaking awesome to drive. if i didn't have it, well ok that wouldn't be as good, but i dont define myself by it.

i used to have a friend who well sucked at driving. but his thing was he had to buy progressively nicer cars just to show he was "successful". it had nothing to do with driving or whatever. like he said, i dont know i think i need to step it up to a 5 series or an a6 next time. but the guy wasnt that sucessful. he felt good because he'd buy nice **** and it would in his head reinforce who he thought he was.

as bj i think has said tons of times , people buy BMWs for lots of reasons. i'd say most on this forum probably do it because they love the car. but every time i see some random person in a no line, stripper driving it like crap, i kind of imagine they do it just to "say they made it" or whatever.

i used to drive a nissan altima, had an acura TSX. but if i was still driving that altima, i'd still know i made it more than the person who has to buy a bmw/merc/audi just to announce themselves.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:39 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
"Money can't buy happiness. But it sure can rent it for a while."

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:54 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpwr View Post
nobody is saying here material things will make you automatically happy, but living in a 1 bedroom **** hole and have no ability to do anything in live because you live pay check to pay check will not make you happy either.... i rather not be happy with a ton of money and do whatever then not being happy and just get by...
Why we aim for the balanced life- enough friends & family, happiness and money to go with it but not too much to make you an A-hole or overly arrogant.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
There are people in this thread, undoubtedly, who are pack-a-day smokers ($400/mo), own dogs ($300/mo), drink beer ($200/mo), or lunch at restaurants ($300/mo). What leasers choose to do with their extra bucks each month is up to them, go judge a chain smoker or a smelly dog owner if you want to flex your moral muscles on some pitiful spending.
I am pretty sure voip-ninja was not flexing any moral muscle, since he himself is leasing his car. He was just commenting on the numbers, about which we can agree to disagree, or we can attribute the differences to the different situations considered. In any case, it doesn't matter. Whether we settle on $25 or $150/mo difference, this shouldn't be turned into a moral issue, and that case can be made easily with a single argument: anyone driving a BMW or even just contemplating getting one is in no position to be judgmental about the numbers. After all, we can all just go and buy a perfectly fine car for half the price.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:58 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Quote:
1. "The Ultimate Driving Machine" doesn't just mean "feels like a race car". It also encompasses the entire driving experience. Leather seats, navigation systems, head-up displays, satellite radio, the works.

BJ
"The Ultimate Driving Machine" - the "Driving" part is there in the statement for a great emphasis on what the car can do. It's a play on semantics as most will point out but they didn't say the Ultimate technology or comfort machine.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Myths busted:

"Leasing is a way to get into a car you can't afford on the cheap!" Not true. Leasing is more expensive, often marginally, than buying.

I am no expert at this, but I have always interpreted this "myth" as being directed more towards people who live from paycheck to paycheck, whether they are decent income earners or not. Some people are unable to save anything; they have to spend almost everything they make. Such folks cannot save enough for a down payment, so they can't buy. But they can lease. For them, leasing is a way of getting into a car, because they can't control their spending habits enough to build up any savings.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
as bj i think has said tons of times , people buy BMWs for lots of reasons. i'd say most on this forum probably do it because they love the car. but every time i see some random person in a no line, stripper driving it like crap, i kind of imagine they do it just to "say they made it" or whatever.
That's probably often the case, but not always. Just because someone doesn't drive well doesn't mean they don't appreciate the better driving dynamics of the car, the better fit and finish, or the nice overall design, the quietness, the smoothness of the ride, the power, etc.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Why we aim for the balanced life- enough friends & family, happiness and money to go with it but not too much to make you an A-hole or overly arrogant.
There are plenty of people who are a-holes and super-arrogant without having the money
Old 11-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
I am no expert at this, but I have always interpreted this "myth" as being directed more towards people who live from paycheck to paycheck, whether they are decent income earners or not. Some people are unable to save anything; they have to spend almost everything they make. Such folks cannot save enough for a down payment, so they can't buy. But they can lease. For them, leasing is a way of getting into a car, because they can't control their spending habits enough to build up any savings.
That's why I always get a laugh out of people crying they will be evicted or lose their cars, etc, if their tax bill goes up $300 a month. You make $300K a year, try saving some F'ing money for a change.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
"Money can't buy happiness. But it sure can rent it for a while."
Most of us can afford the $50,000 cash if we wanted to. We lease because we feel like it.

It's the $36,000 crowd that you have to worry about. If they are eschewing a fully loaded Accord for a completely stripped BMW one has to wonder what motivates them and if they truly have the money necessary for such a vehicle.

BJ

Old 11-29-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
The problem with judging others by your own values is that you often come across just as arrogant as the very people you are condemning.

BJ

Old 11-29-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
"The Ultimate Driving Machine" - the "Driving" part is there in the statement for a great emphasis on what the car can do. It's a play on semantics as most will point out but they didn't say the Ultimate technology or comfort machine.
Similar to painstakingly documenting the wreck of the Titanic, examining the evidence instead of hypothesizing settles the debate quickly and accurately.

The evidence is the F30 itself. Look no further. If BMW's customers wanted a firmer, smaller, tighter, racier, ride with more road feel for the enthusiast then that's what the 3 Series would have become. Instead its softer, bigger, looser, and well-behaved ride that's laden with creature-comforts and de-tuned for soccer mom's and commuter dad's.

BMW has millions of datapoints, millions of customers past and present, and they built the most important car in their portfolio to suit the specific needs of their customers and sell the most cars. If the enthusiasts were right about the E46-into-E90 argument, then the F30 would have become a reincarnated E46, not a reimagined E39.

It's not semantics; it's fact. The 3 Series is no longer an enthusiasts plaything. You have the 1 Series and the Roadster to satisfy that craving. The 3 is a refined, executive gentleman's cruiser with a touch of sporty tendencies. The customer has spoken, they want what the F30 is not what it isn't.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 11-29-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
That's probably often the case, but not always. Just because someone doesn't drive well doesn't mean they don't appreciate the better driving dynamics of the car, the better fit and finish, or the nice overall design, the quietness, the smoothness of the ride, the power, etc.
yeah im not saying its always the case. im just saying it probably is a lot of the time. i mean theres really nothing wrong with it.

if for the sake of comparison you buy a fully base no line 328i at invoice you pay say $35k + tax.

its $10k or so more than a camry v6 at invoice probably. so you spend $10k (and if we call the maintenance $1000 its only 9k), you get free maintenance, and you feel good about yourself. if it works for you well that not really too much money anyway over 4 years.

i mean i have a coworker who has a 2011 v6 accord, nav, sunroof, backup camerase, leather, he has put remote start, carbon fiber trim, blacked out his rims, put blue LEDs everywhere.

i personally think its moronic, but he's happy and uh can't really say much there i guess.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Like I said, I'm done with the math wars. I'll talk philosophically all day, but I'm getting a migraine from all the numbers. I was never trying to make any "case". Was just simply articulating that the variance between the buyer and the leaser is not what most perceive it to be.

Run the math any way you want. Go distort the reality and come up with bizzarro figures like your $22,000 delta from yesterday. None of it matters.

In the end, we die. Drive as many new cars as you can before you do.

BJ

You have way more patience than I do my friend. I gave up trying to explain when all people want to do is run in circles.

Never once did we say not buy. All we did was say leasing works when you want to be in the newest technology, and never want to deal with repair costs, old interiors, etc. And the cost compared to a completely standardized "average" buyer is negligible. They seem to forget we are not talking down to their decisions, and in every case thrown at both of us, none have been the normal buyer we are talking about.

I am going to state this again. In 2002 the average purchaser of a vehicle owned it for 38 months. In 2011 due to the economy tanking and changing of american priorities this value is now 57 months. However, an average loan is 60 months. This means this AVERAGE (not you probably) buyer always has a car payment.

So all we are saying is if you always have a car payment, why not take the lower monthly and have the freedom to not worry about your car.

Do not respond if you have a 10 year old car, got lucky selling one after 12 months, keep a car for 10 years, have 50k cash to put down on a vehicle. You are 1 in a million people, not average.

This running in circles is the part I hate about Forums and your patience BJ is commendable.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyCMonkeyDo View Post
You have way more patience than I do my friend. I gave up trying to explain when all people want to do is run in circles.

I am going to state this again. In 2002 the average purchaser of a vehicle owned it for 38 months. In 2011 due to the economy tanking and changing of american priorities this value is now 57 months. However, an average loan is 60 months. This means the AVERAGE buyer always has a car payment.

So all we are saying is if you always have a car payment, why not take the lower monthly and have the freedom to not worry about your car.

This running in circles is the part I hate about Forums and your patience BJ is commendable.
Thank you MCMD, and I appreciate your candor and brass-tacks approach.

Highlighted in bold above is all that needs to be said. Paying $820 a month for the same car you could lease for $549 is like forcing yourself into a phony savings account. Instead of having the discipline to put that extra $300 into the bank every month you need to tie it up with BMW Financial Services? It's like people who claim 0 dependents on their tax returns because they feel they can't trust themselves to save the necessary amount needed to pay the bill in April.

The only other thing I'd add:

In the end, we die; drive as many new cars as you can before you do.

BJ

Old 11-29-2012, 02:58 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
That's right. Let's see what I don't spend money on.
  • I don't smoke ($400/mo).
  • I don't drink ($200/mo).
  • I don't have a dog ($300/mo).
  • I don't buy newspapers ($50/mo).
  • I don't play the lottery ($40/mo).
  • I don't eat my work-lunch at restaurants ($300/mo).

Wow. I think I just justified leasing a Ferrari. Cool.

BJ
If you also stop going to the strip clubs - you can lease a Ferrari California: http://www.ferrariofwashington.com/

We'll keep the $25k cap reduction our little secret.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 11-29-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post

If you also stop going to the strip clubs - you can lease a Ferrari California
Whoa. That's way too much to ask. Take away a man's cigarettes and newspapers, shoot his dog, that's one thing, but his strip club? Never.

(If you knew of the quality of the NJ strip club scene, you'd know what I'm talking about.)

BJ

Old 11-29-2012, 03:23 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
And leave my scotch alone too.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.