Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #551  
Old 11-29-2012, 05:05 PM
voip-ninja's Avatar
voip-ninja voip-ninja is offline
Swedish Murder Machine
Location: Highlands Ranch CO
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,886
Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Leave my scotch and dog alone, k thanks buh-bye!
__________________
  #552  
Old 11-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Chris90's Avatar
Chris90 Chris90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 13,797
Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Ah, no.

The rich are now driving $539 BMW F30's. It's just enough of a luxury car to keep up with our wealthy friends while not being ostentatious and not being thrown out of the country club.

Again, please stick to what you know. You are expert at buying a used car and keeping it for another decade. You are expert at the mechanical troubles and rattles of the E46. You are not expert at leasing. You are not expert at the car of choice for the wealthy.

BJ
You're not rich, please.
__________________
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Expression
  #553  
Old 11-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Chris90's Avatar
Chris90 Chris90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 13,797
Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Leasing does let you avoid depreciation, taxes, and interest. Not sure why you think otherwise. You don't own the car, therefore it does not depreciate. There is no loan, so there is no interest. Because the duration of the lease is a fraction of the life of the vehicle its easy to negotiate and have the dealer absorb the taxes.

You don't lease, you never have, so you don't fully understand the wins involved.

BJ
When you buy, and trade 3 years later, you're also only paying taxes on a 3 year period, you get a tax credit toward the next vehicle.

I understand leasing, you just don't understand financing. But you're not alone, a lot of leasers think they're getting a sweet deal vs buying. It's nothing of the sort, it's just a different way of paying for a car.
__________________
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Expression
  #554  
Old 11-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Chris90's Avatar
Chris90 Chris90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 13,797
Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Our time here is limited. We love cars. Drive as many as you can before you can't.

BJ
It's clear from your history that you only love the car you just leased, you diss on every single other car. There are lots of true car lovers on this forum, you're just a badge hound.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, we can buy cars for any reason.
__________________
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Expression
  #555  
Old 11-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Kamdog's Avatar
Kamdog Kamdog is offline
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,075
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
It's clear from your history that you only love the car you just leased, you diss on every single other car. There are lots of true car lovers on this forum, you're just a badge hound.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, we can buy cars for any reason.
I object, strenuously, on behalf of hounds everywhere.

You take that back, suh, or my seconds will be calling upon you in the morning.


KamDOG.
__________________

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
  #556  
Old 11-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Chris90's Avatar
Chris90 Chris90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 13,797
Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
I object, strenuously, on behalf of hounds everywhere.

You take that back, suh, or my seconds will be calling upon you in the morning.


KamDOG.
Sorry, I didn't want to offend any ho's.
__________________
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Expression
  #557  
Old 11-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Chris90's Avatar
Chris90 Chris90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 13,797
Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
I am pretty sure voip-ninja was not flexing any moral muscle, since he himself is leasing his car. He was just commenting on the numbers, about which we can agree to disagree, or we can attribute the differences to the different situations considered. In any case, it doesn't matter. Whether we settle on $25 or $150/mo difference, this shouldn't be turned into a moral issue, and that case can be made easily with a single argument: anyone driving a BMW or even just contemplating getting one is in no position to be judgmental about the numbers. After all, we can all just go and buy a perfectly fine car for half the price.
I could be wrong, but I haven't seen anyone saying leasers are extravagant or arrogant or whatever. We just disagree with BJs numbers, which in fairness to him, he just threw out there without thinking about it.
__________________
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Expression
  #558  
Old 11-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Kamdog's Avatar
Kamdog Kamdog is offline
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,075
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
Sorry, I didn't want to offend any ho's.
Honor is satisfied.
__________________

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
  #559  
Old 11-29-2012, 07:03 PM
dpwr dpwr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: earth
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 162
Mein Auto: f10 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
Why we aim for the balanced life- enough friends & family, happiness and money to go with it but not too much to make you an A-hole or overly arrogant.
I don't buy for one bit that money makes people arrogant assholes, it's how and in what environment you were brought up and what state of mind your are in... there are more broke ass arrogant idiots then wealthy arrogant idiots... if anything I would argue that being poor brings more negative qualities in a person then a wealthy person
  #560  
Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 PM
bmw_or_audi bmw_or_audi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 898
Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpwr View Post
I don't buy for one bit that money makes people arrogant assholes, it's how and in what environment you were brought up and what state of mind your are in... there are more broke ass arrogant idiots then wealthy arrogant idiots... if anything I would
Wealth merely amplifies existing a-hole traits
  #561  
Old 11-29-2012, 10:36 PM
LarryboysUDM's Avatar
LarryboysUDM LarryboysUDM is offline
Apay Kapoy
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 599
Mein Auto: 13 335i 02RSX5MT 06ML350
Whether you are bought or leased (going to lease or going to buy...you will learn a lot from this thread), the important thing is that you are driving a BMW and if that is not going to put a smile on your face...oh well.
__________________
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights/Sunroof/Alarm
Mods: Tint/DIY lower intake grill guard/ASS recoded
28K mi Dec14
Hergestellt in Deutschland
  #562  
Old 11-30-2012, 11:12 AM
namelessman namelessman is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: northern california
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,899
Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboysudm View Post
whether you are bought or leased (going to lease or going to buy...you will learn a lot from this thread), the important thing is that you are driving a bmw and if that is not going to put a smile on your face...oh well.
+1.
  #563  
Old 11-30-2012, 11:15 AM
chris328's Avatar
chris328 chris328 is offline
unbekannt
Location: Hell
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,337
Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
i spent all my money on a bmw and i all have left is enough to pay my internet bill to argue about it
  #564  
Old 11-30-2012, 12:36 PM
bmw_or_audi bmw_or_audi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 898
Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Btwy, why are BMW finance rates so ridiculously high? Is it because almost no one uses them? Even the big banks have much more competitive rates.
  #565  
Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Zeichen311's Avatar
Zeichen311 Zeichen311 is online now
Lost but making good time
Location: Here, there or in transit
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,558
Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
Btwy, why are BMW finance rates so ridiculously high? Is it because almost no one uses them? Even the big banks have much more competitive rates.
They run frequent promotions. I didn't (and still don't) think 0.9% ridiculously high....
__________________
2011 335xi Individual 6MT - Azurite Black Metallic / Oyster & Black / Anthracite Maple + all the good stuff

   N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
  #566  
Old 11-30-2012, 01:09 PM
bmw_or_audi bmw_or_audi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 898
Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
They run frequent promotions. I didn't (and still don't) think 0.9% ridiculously high....
Sure, 0.9% is a great rate. But all I see is 3.29% on their website. Do rates change that much from region to region? (I am in Southern CA)
  #567  
Old 11-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Alpine300ZHP Alpine300ZHP is offline
East Coast Commuter
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,150
Mein Auto: 435/335
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
Sure, 0.9% is a great rate. But all I see is 3.29% on their website. Do rates change that much from region to region? (I am in Southern CA)
I think 3.29 combined with the holiday credit and loyalty is a good deal. You need to look at the total incentive. A bank might come in lower on the interest rate, but then you lose the cash. Timing is everything. On the 335d BMWFS had the best rate. On the 535i I went with an outside bank that had a much lower rate than BMWFS.
__________________
~ 14 435 (with MPPK) My daily beater
~ 14 335 Hers
- Previous BMW's - Way too many to list here (18)
  #568  
Old 11-30-2012, 02:19 PM
lacarnut lacarnut is offline
Registered User
Location: Baton Rouge LA
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: Infiniti G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
Sure, 0.9% is a great rate. But all I see is 3.29% on their website. Do rates change that much from region to region? (I am in Southern CA)
All depends on your credit rating. My lease rate came out to be 3% with finacing from BMW. If I decide to buy the car when it comes in, I would go with USAA that has 1.9%.

FYI, Some dealers will jack up the the bank financing rate by 1//4 or 1/2 per cent which they get to keep. In most cases you save yourself some money on a purchase if you do your own financing thru a bank or credit union.

Last edited by lacarnut; 11-30-2012 at 02:20 PM.
  #569  
Old 11-30-2012, 02:25 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is offline
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,999
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
Sure, 0.9% is a great rate. But all I see is 3.29% on their website. Do rates change that much from region to region? (I am in Southern CA)
I think 3.29 combined with the holiday credit and loyalty is a good deal. You need to look at the total incentive. A bank might come in lower on the interest rate, but then you lose the cash. Timing is everything. On the 335d BMWFS had the best rate. On the 535i I went with an outside bank that had a much lower rate than BMWFS.
When I bought my 550, I got the $1,500 plus 0.9% finance-only deal which works to be -0.1%. I financed every penny to maximize the better than free money. It was a major factor that helped me choose to buy and not lease. The current holiday deal applies the cash to a lease or a purchase, but I believe they reduced the residual to offset the Holiday cash. I'm tempted to get a 650 or M6 given the current incentives, plus after only 1.5 years of ownership, I already have a $10-15k equity in my 550.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
  #570  
Old 11-30-2012, 02:41 PM
bmw_or_audi bmw_or_audi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 898
Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
All depends on your credit rating. My lease rate came out to be 3% with finacing from BMW. If I decide to buy the car when it comes in, I would go with USAA that has 1.9%.
I think my credit is good enough (above 800), although all the mortgage refinances in the last couple of years lowered my score somewhat, and I am not sure what happened after the very last refinance.

But right now BMW seems to be "offering" 3.29% as a financing incentive. I have seen 1.9% in the recent past, which was at least in line with credit unions. But it is kind of comical to advertise and "offer" 3.29%. This must be the best available right now from them. If BMW FS has better rates available, why aren't they advertising them? FYI, credit unions are offering better rates on USED cars than this 3.29%. Maybe BMW wants us to lease only.
  #571  
Old 11-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Alpine300ZHP Alpine300ZHP is offline
East Coast Commuter
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,150
Mein Auto: 435/335
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
When I bought my 550, I got the $1,500 plus 0.9% finance-only deal which works to be -0.1%. I financed every penny to maximize the better than free money. It was a major factor that helped me choose to buy and not lease. The current holiday deal applies the cash to a lease or a purchase, but I believe they reduced the residual to offset the Holiday cash. I'm tempted to get a 650 or M6 given the current incentives, plus after only 1.5 years of ownership, I already have a $10-15k equity in my 550.
Your example and mine are why I do not subscribe to the "always lease" or "always buy" mantra. When I purchase a new car I look at both ways of paying for it and pick the one that makes the most sense. In 2011, for me, buying both cars made the most sense. 90% of my purchases have been leases though. Next up for me is an x5M or x5 5.0 and I will weigh the lease vs. buy when I get that car. Now Dunderhi...we must both be on the same wavelength because I have been seriously thinking about a 6 for my next car (the x5 will be for the wife). After doing a track day in a M6 I think I have found my new favorite BMW (once the wife gets the x5 I will no longer need or want a sedan).
__________________
~ 14 435 (with MPPK) My daily beater
~ 14 335 Hers
- Previous BMW's - Way too many to list here (18)
  #572  
Old 11-30-2012, 02:46 PM
bmw_or_audi bmw_or_audi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 898
Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Yes, I think they want us to lease. Check out these deals:
_____________________________________________

328i:

Well-equipped including features such as Premium Package (Leather, Moonroof, Comfort Access, Satellite Radio), Automatic Transmission, Power Seats, iPod/USB Adapter, Hands-free Bluetooth and Destination charges.
$339*/month for 39 months. $1,000 Holiday Credit and $750 Loyalty Cash included in payment.
$339 First months payment
$2,750 Down payment
$0 Security Deposit
$725 Acquisition fee
$3,814 Cash due at signing

I imagine this is a no-line + Premium pack.

_____________________________________________

335i:

Well-equipped including features such as Premium Package (Leather, Comfort Access, Satellite Radio), Automatic Transmission, Moonroof, Xenon Headlights, iPod/USB Adapter, Bluetooth and Destination charges.
$399*/month for 39 months. $1,000 Holiday Credit and $750 Loyalty Cash included in payment.
$399 First months payment
$3,000 Down payment
$0 Security Deposit
$725 Acquisition fee
$4,124 Cash due at signing
  #573  
Old 11-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Alpine300ZHP Alpine300ZHP is offline
East Coast Commuter
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,150
Mein Auto: 435/335
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
Yes, I think they want us to lease. Check out these deals:
_____________________________________________

328i:

Well-equipped including features such as Premium Package (Leather, Moonroof, Comfort Access, Satellite Radio), Automatic Transmission, Power Seats, iPod/USB Adapter, Hands-free Bluetooth and Destination charges.
$339*/month for 39 months. $1,000 Holiday Credit and $750 Loyalty Cash included in payment.
$339 First months payment
$2,750 Down payment
$0 Security Deposit
$725 Acquisition fee
$3,814 Cash due at signing

I imagine this is a no-line + Premium pack.

_____________________________________________

335i:

Well-equipped including features such as Premium Package (Leather, Comfort Access, Satellite Radio), Automatic Transmission, Moonroof, Xenon Headlights, iPod/USB Adapter, Bluetooth and Destination charges.
$399*/month for 39 months. $1,000 Holiday Credit and $750 Loyalty Cash included in payment.
$399 First months payment
$3,000 Down payment
$0 Security Deposit
$725 Acquisition fee
$4,124 Cash due at signing
The rates and residuals are pretty aggressive on the F30 and it makes a compelling lease deal. If I were in the market for the F30 I would lean toward leasing it.
__________________
~ 14 435 (with MPPK) My daily beater
~ 14 335 Hers
- Previous BMW's - Way too many to list here (18)
  #574  
Old 11-30-2012, 03:06 PM
bmw_or_audi bmw_or_audi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 898
Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
The rates and residuals are pretty aggressive on the F30 and it makes a compelling lease deal. If I were in the market for the F30 I would lean toward leasing it.
I looked closer and the allowed mileage is 32,500 miles. Note that this is for a 39 month lease, so we are looking at 10K/year.

I don't want to revive the lease versus buy debate, but unfortunately for me leasing is not an obvious choice since I drive about 24K/year (mostly freeway miles, so they are easy on the car).
  #575  
Old 11-30-2012, 03:08 PM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
I think my credit is good enough (above 800), although all the mortgage refinances in the last couple of years lowered my score somewhat, and I am not sure what happened after the very last refinance.

But right now BMW seems to be "offering" 3.29% as a financing incentive. I have seen 1.9% in the recent past, which was at least in line with credit unions. But it is kind of comical to advertise and "offer" 3.29%. This must be the best available right now from them. If BMW FS has better rates available, why aren't they advertising them? FYI, credit unions are offering better rates on USED cars than this 3.29%. Maybe BMW wants us to lease only.
I plan on taking my 3.29% BMW FS loan immediately over to PenFed, for 1.49%. BMW will get the hint, soon enough.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms