Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 335i M Sport
KeithS: here's another one - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...143203&fpart=1 Its from a '96 328 where the factory recommended OCI at that time was probably around the 10k mark - - tho I can't remember.

Last edited by m6pwr; 02-27-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
It's from a document that I downloaded from somewhere (can't remember). The only other wording on the cover page (other than the title/date I mentioned earlier) is Group 11/Engine/Technical Service. Hope that helps.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6pwr View Post
KeithS: here's another one - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...143203&fpart=1 Its from a '96 328 where the factory recommended OCI at that time was probably around the 10k mark - - tho I can't remember.
Yes that looks the same as mine. Believe in '96 that may have not been synthetic thus the shorter interval. We need to be asking this question from our European friends as they have had Diesels long enough to accumulate high mileage. The handful in the US with high mileage will not have been driven in a typical/average manner. With the kind of driving of several thousand miles a month, believe the 13K interval will be fine. I know the higher operating temperatures in the more modern BMW gas engines helps keep out moisture and keeps crud to a minimum. But it seems as the Diesels do not run as hot, so...

It's a $50K+ car. Unless I have tangable proof that the OBC intervals casues no harm or sludge in the LONG term, think I'll be sticking with changes in-between. And if you going to do it, of course halfway (6500 miles) makes the most sense.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
BMW in Europe schedules oil changes every 30k km under free maintenance, I changed oil in my 530d every 20-22k km (the car was not under free maintenance program)

I think it is difficult to find "tangible" proof whether or not you need to change the oil in shorter intervals than recommended... maybe the engine will work 20% longer... but who cares? at that time other parts will be broken

WTB: spare tire kit
Old 02-27-2012, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanar200 View Post
BMW in Europe schedules oil changes every 30k km under free maintenance, I changed oil in my 530d every 20-22k km (the car was not under free maintenance program)

I think it is difficult to find "tangible" proof whether or not you need to change the oil in shorter intervals than recommended... maybe the engine will work 20% longer... but who cares? at that time other parts will be broken
This has always been my outlook with any car I have owned. Admittedly I have not owned BMW before so perhaps they just make motors that will not outlast the rest of their cars. But with Porsche, Mercedes, Ford, Honda, VW, Mitsubishi and who knows what I am forgetting they all had engines that out lasted everything else. It always was something unrelated to the engines that made me give up on continuing to own them. Most of them saw 200k miles with a number upwards of 300k miles. There is only one exception and that was a 1985 Mercedes 380SE that at 280k or so miles a friend talked me to into adding some additive and shortly after that it started to smoke(oil past the rings) around 300k miles I sold it because of the oil consumption.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanar200 View Post

I agree. I've always followed factory recommendations for oil changes in previous cars that I've owned. I got 200K miles out of my Mazda 929 and 245K miles out of my Acura 3.2TL changing the oil (non-synthetic) every 5K to 6K miles. Hate to say it, but once the Acura was out of warranty I went to Jiffy Lube and used whatever oil/filter they were offering. Like you said, other parts will probably start failing before an engine failure occurs.

No harm in changing the oil between intervals though.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 831Doug View Post
I agree. I've always followed factory recommendations for oil changes in previous cars that I've owned. I got 200K miles out of my Mazda 929 and 245K miles out of my Acura 3.2TL changing the oil (non-synthetic) every 5K to 6K miles. Hate to say it, but once the Acura was out of warranty I went to Jiffy Lube and used whatever oil/filter they were offering. Like you said, other parts will probably start failing before an engine failure occurs.

No harm in changing the oil between intervals though.
When our old Accord got to around 200k, I think shortly before, I decided to heck with it towards oil changes. I'd often put them off LONG after it should have been done and many times I just tossed in whatever oil I had on my shelf. I distinctly remember one time using one quart of some Amsoil that was the wrong weight for my truck so never was getting used then a couple different weights of dino oil. I sold that car off with around 284k miles on it and had zero issues with the motor but had issues with AC, cat, transmissions, and power steering just to name a few that basically made the car worthless regardless of the engine condition.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 335D
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6pwr View Post
Here is the advice of a lubricants engineer on the topic. He now works for Exxon/Mobil in the area of lubes for heavy duty diesels and formerly worked for Castrol and was part of the team back in the 90's that developed Castrol RS 10w60 that later became the Castrol TWS spec'd by BMW for M cars. Incidentally, I don't think any of you that have used shorter oil change intervals have done any "harm" if that 's the right word to use.

A lubricants engineer's comments on first 335d oil change on factory fill

My email question to the lube engineer:

Something you said in the article (on used oil analysis) piqued my interest:
"Many modern engines have unique lubricants as their Factory fill and in some cases a special specification lubricant many be needed for the first 10k miles or so. This is for specific "bedding in" reasons and often depends on the engine's design and certainly on its "wear face" metallurgy! People that chose to ignore the Manufacturer's advice concerning the first oil change period and the lubricant to be used then are IMO quite foolhardy especially if they intend to keep their vehicle for many years."

I have a new 2011 BMW 335d diesel. In the past, I've always changed the factory fill on my BMWs at about 1500 mi. I guess I got into this habit due to owning several different BMW M cars down thru the years (BMW always does a first oil change on M cars at 1500 mi). But, I am wondering if this would be appropriate on the 335d. BMW doesn't do an oil change (under their free maintenance program) until 10k-13k mi. I believe the factory fill on the 335d is a FUCHS oil similar to their Titan GT1 Pro Flex 5w30. I've noticed on several UOAs on BITOG from 335d owners, on the factory fill, that the oil has no zinc, which is a trademark of sorts on the FUCHS GT1 for diesels.

I know FUCHS makes good oils (and seems to specialize in factory fills) and I'm wondering, after reading your article, if I ought to delay replacing it, maybe even take it as far as BMW's 10-13k OCI. I have 2k mi on my 335d right now and was planning on doing an oil change at 3k mi (to wash out some of the wear metals) and then at about 5k mi OCIs thereafter. The service fill that BMW uses (I'm in the U.S.) is Castrol SLX Professional OE 5w30.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

The lube engineer's response:

thanks for the email

It is best to follow the OEM's recommendation for the first OC. In your case - for peace of mind - I would go to around 9-10k

Recently a new engine in my Fleet required a 1kkms (600miles) oil and filter change. A waste? yes, but I know that the FF is a cheap Grp 2 product used for that purpose and that's the OEM's reason!

The service fill you allude to and FUCHS lubricants are top of the line products. FUCHS is the (part) FF for Daimler AG and for a number of others too. Their OEM Approved and Listed products are excellent for their intended task

FF lubricants can include special additives that are targeted to allow a trouble free and programmed pace of "bedding in". This is a product of the engine development process - it is the same for Heavy Truck engines too of course. These lubricants typically cannot be purchased at consumer level

BMW use at least two engine development organisations in Germany that conduct exhaustive field testing of components and lubricants. Sadly I can't divulge who they are but at least one of their Engineers is an ex Development Engineer from Daimler AG. He is a very skilled guy and I have spent quite a bit of time with him and the FUCHS and Castrol Lube Engineers

Enjoy your 335d and don't be too alarmed if some fuel dilution appears in your UOAs - within reason all parties are aware of this. OCIs are programmed around all of this data

I'm just about to leave for two months in Europe - and the Goodwood Revival in particular. It is Juan Manuel Fangio's memorial year - Mercedes will be their hence my visit - and a celebration of 70 years of the Spitfire! Goodwood was a WW2 Spitfire airfield
Mr. Hillary strikes again !
Old 02-28-2012, 06:54 PM
hang up and drive!

Actually the oil change interval is every 15k, with this adjusted based on how you actually drive the vehicle and the algorithm/sensors they use to tweak that.

My first oil change was at 13k, the second was at 24k and my third is going to be at about 37k. Hopefully I can squeeze out one more before I hit the 50k end of warranty/maintenance period.

DEF intervals have matched up so far with my OCI.

As far as any metal or other material in your drain pan, they would have to pass through your fine filter to make it to the engine moving parts to cause any damage, and that is highly unlikely unless you have a collapsed or compromised filter element, i.e. high differential pressure due to plugging up, and that would be caught by a low pressure alarm which is sensed somewhere at a further point up in the engine.

Me, I'm sticking to the OEM program and see no need to change from this. If anything OEMs are usually conservative on these points, so you could probably go even further.

Unless you are doing frequent Lube Analysis and trending, you really have no idea what is actually happening with the oil.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 PM

I am pretty sure in one of these threads someone posted up how the longest factory interval for a 335d is not 15k miles but a couple less.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
I am pretty sure in one of these threads someone posted up how the longest factory interval for a 335d is not 15k miles but a couple less.
All three of my oil changes have been ~13,000.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:27 AM
hang up and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
I stand corrected, 335d is every 13k as per the BMW NA Service Maintenance Checklist.

Gas Engines are every 15k.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)

Last edited by Flyingman; 02-29-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 320d (E90 April 2011)
Mine, 320d, Thai version, 15K (KM), the first waring was around 13K and told me that I still have 2K to go before change is needed.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner320 View Post
Mine, 320d, Thai version, 15K (KM), the first waring was around 13K and told me that I still have 2K to go before change is needed.
Do you get free maintenance over there? I'm just curious since 15,000 km = 9,300 miles.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
I stand corrected, 335d is every 13k as per the BMW NA Service Maintenance Checklist.

Gas Engines are every 15k.
That really should read "up to every 13k" because the computer will change the estimated time for an oil change based upon the driving conditions the car is used for.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 320d (E90 April 2011)
@bayoucity
Yes, I do. 5 years or 100.000k whatever comes first.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 335d Le Mans Blue/Black
My first oil change came at about 12.5k and I was nearly empty of the DEF, but still had enough that it wasn't warning about low def fluid.
E90 335d - Le Mans Blue, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Trim, M-Sport Package w/ Paddles, Premium Package, Navigation, Heated Front Seats, Split Fold Down Rear Seats, Smartphone Integration, Comfort Access, Harmon Kardon Surround Sound System. Ipod/USB Integration, Satellite Radio, Anti-Theft Alarm

Delivery: March 07, 2011. My European Delivery Car Photos Dropoff in Geneva: March 09, 2011 - Geneva
Redelivery: May 13, 2011