Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Bimmerx53 Bimmerx53 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 124
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
X5 35d engine swap?

I have an x5 35d and just out of curiosity, may even do it if possible in the future, can you replace the 3.0d engine with a X5M V8? How about an M5 V10(I love those and am curious what a V-10 X5 would be like)?
__________________
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 PM
NoI4plz NoI4plz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Stop stalking me!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,061
Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Anything is possible, as long as your willing to spend the time and effort. That being said, if your a person who doesn't have any single one of the following then forget the idea

a) time
b) very deep pockets
C) automotive engineering and reverse engineering skills
D) able to work through almost unscalable engineering problems
E) technical diagrams and access to BMW mainframe

Good luck!
__________________
BMW and Mercedes Build Beta Products!
Lexus build Release Candidate Products!

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-06-2012, 10:28 PM
ard ard is online now
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,199
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerx53 View Post
I have an x5 35d and just out of curiosity, may even do it if possible in the future, can you replace the 3.0d engine with a X5M V8? How about an M5 V10(I love those and am curious what a V-10 X5 would be like)?
Absolutely possible.

In terms of cost, you could just buy the X5M as well as the E60M5 for what it would cost to do.
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Bimmerx53 Bimmerx53 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 124
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Absolutely possible.

In terms of cost, you could just buy the X5M as well as the E60M5 for what it would cost to do.
Yes, instead of chucking out a boatload of change just to replace the engine Im just going to sell my 35d and pay a few grand more for an M. Looking into getting a G-Power kit instead! :thumb up:

Thanks!
__________________
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Bimmerx53 Bimmerx53 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 124
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
Anything is possible, as long as your willing to spend the time and effort. That being said, if your a person who doesn't have any single one of the following then forget the idea

a) time
b) very deep pockets
C) automotive engineering and reverse engineering skills
D) able to work through almost unscalable engineering problems
E) technical diagrams and access to BMW mainframe

Good luck!
Yep..not feasible for me then ! My friend would be the one I would do it with and he has all the know how..I just dont think $30g would be enough considering the engine itself is around $15000 used. I would consider it but I'd rather stick with Ard's idea and stick with the X5M!

-Thanks!
__________________
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-07-2012, 05:35 PM
watrob's Avatar
watrob watrob is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: X5M 50d
There would be no way of puting a petrol engine into a diesel based X5, especially a X5M V8 motor, wiring looms, computers, diffs, axles, suspension, transmission, brakes & rotors all would need to be changed and the coding would be near impossible.

You could buy an actual X5M cheaper and get warranty.
__________________
X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads

Last edited by watrob; 10-07-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Bimmerx53 Bimmerx53 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 124
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
There would be no way of puting a petrol engine into a diesel based X5, especially a X5M V8 motor, wiring looms, computers, diffs, axles, suspension, transmission, brakes & rotors all would need to be changed and the coding would be near impossible.

You could buy an actual X5M cheaper and get warranty.
Very True! I don't however intend on keeping the warranty, I like my car personolized
I don't know, I just like to be different when it comes to cars :thumb up:

But a question about the warranty, if you change something for example the suspension, does the entire warranty go or just the warranty regarding the suspension?

Thanks!
__________________
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-07-2012, 06:46 PM
jashearer jashearer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 736
Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
This might be the dumbest thread I've ever seen that people are trying to reply intelligently to.

OP are you for real????

Jay
__________________
Rover - 2013 Holden Commodore SV6 Sedan
Clark - 2013 Holden Commodore Sport SV6 Wagon
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-07-2012, 07:02 PM
ndabunka's Avatar
ndabunka ndabunka is offline
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerx53 View Post
Very True! I don't however intend on keeping the warranty, I like my car personolized
I don't know, I just like to be different when it comes to cars :thumb up:

But a question about the warranty, if you change something for example the suspension, does the entire warranty go or just the warranty regarding the suspension?

Thanks!
TROLL alert!
__________________


'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Bimmerx53 Bimmerx53 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 124
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
TROLL alert!
Hahah yea..I was hoping I wasn't starting to sound like one

But seriously, Im really considering this within the next year
__________________
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Bimmerx53 Bimmerx53 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 124
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
This might be the dumbest thread I've ever seen that people are trying to reply intelligently to.

OP are you for real????

Jay
Completely serious. Go to places like Saudi Arabia, they have M3's with an M6 V-10 in it! I've seen an M3 in Dubai with a supercharged X6 M engine in it!!

I was considering this because I LOVE V-10's but did not know how much it would cost or if anyone has done it to a DIESEL before. I did not realize that I could just trade in for an X5 M for much cheaper when I asked this.

My bad if I sound like a troll, I just like doing extraordinary things in my life rather than "going with the times"
__________________
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-07-2012, 07:35 PM
watrob's Avatar
watrob watrob is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: X5M 50d
Why don't you, to be different buy a Dinan worked X5M or get one of the European turner's worked X5M's, now that would be different.

I would rather spend the $30k-$40k on something like that, even pickup a second-hand X5M and getting worked.

I have a X5M 50d, which is different in the fact that there are only a few in Australia, what you are thinking of doing would have no resale value, trying to find someone to take it off your hands when you go to sell it would near impossible.
__________________
X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads

Last edited by watrob; 10-07-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Bimmerx53 Bimmerx53 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 124
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
Why don't you, to be different buy a Dinan worked X5M or get one of the European turner's worked X5M's, now that would be different.

I would rather spend the $30k-$40k on something like that, even pickup a second-hand X5M and getting worked.

I have a X5M 50d, which is different in the fact that there are only a few in Australia, what you are thinking of doing would have no resale value, trying to find someone to take it off your hands when you go to sell it would near impossible.
Wow, okay yes, THIS is why I started this thread! Thats a great idea! Except I was looking at the G-Power Kit, it supercharges the X5 M giving it 725BHP! So, now I like the G-Power..power but I like the Hamann Body kit!

Thanks for the ideas! Definitely considering Hamann now. :thumb up:

How is the 50d? I've read about it when it was coming out but i've never heard of it since.
__________________
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-07-2012, 08:58 PM
watrob's Avatar
watrob watrob is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: X5M 50d
With 746nm of torque it's no slouch, if chipped could get 850nm. Performs very well, between the X5M V8 & the X5M 50d there is not alot of difference other then the motors.

One good thing is it has good fuel economy around town which makes it a good DD.

PS. As you can see from the photo it has massive brakes, the only problem is only 20" rims upwards will fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X5 M50d Front Brakes.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	344740  
__________________
X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads

Last edited by watrob; 10-07-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Bimmerx53 Bimmerx53 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 124
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
With 746nm of torque it's no slouch, if chipped could get 850nm. Performs very well, between the X5M V8 & the X5M 50d there is not alot of difference other then the motors.

One good thing is it has good fuel economy around town which makes it a good DD.

PS. As you can see from the photo it has massive brakes, the only problem is only 20" rims upwards will fit.
WOW!! Thats not bad at all! Whats the excitement factor? By that I mean things like is it a high revving engine?
__________________
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-07-2012, 10:21 PM
ard ard is online now
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,199
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerx53 View Post
Completely serious. Go to places like Saudi Arabia, they have M3's with an M6 V-10 in it! I've seen an M3 in Dubai with a supercharged X6 M engine in it!!

I was considering this because I LOVE V-10's but did not know how much it would cost or if anyone has done it to a DIESEL before. I did not realize that I could just trade in for an X5 M for much cheaper when I asked this.

My bad if I sound like a troll, I just like doing extraordinary things in my life rather than "going with the times"
What will define your 'troll factor' will be disposable income.

If you are capable dropping $40-80k of having someone mod a car to your specs, great. But if your idea of 'not going with the times' is masturbating about 'cool cars' via inane posts about 'excitement factor' of 'high revving', then you are a troll.

People with enough money to seriously consider high dollar mods like these generally KNOW the game they are playing- namely there is no price, it is an open ended quest... you find a bulider, discuss your goals and genral cost targets. Then start paying the bills.

watrob walks the walk, BTW.

All IMO

A
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Bimmerx53 Bimmerx53 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 124
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
What will define your 'troll factor' will be disposable income.

If you are capable dropping $40-80k of having someone mod a car to your specs, great. But if your idea of 'not going with the times' is masturbating about 'cool cars' via inane posts about 'excitement factor' of 'high revving', then you are a troll.

People with enough money to seriously consider high dollar mods like these generally KNOW the game they are playing- namely there is no price, it is an open ended quest... you find a bulider, discuss your goals and genral cost targets. Then start paying the bills.

watrob walks the walk, BTW.

All IMO

A
Well, I'm not sure how I am "trolling" instead just asking questions about other's experiences, and it would be rude to just ignore the other people who posted. For example, the owner with the Diesel X5 M Loves it from what I can tell! And the European built cars(their just a dream come true!) Maybe someone else can find this thread informative or entertaining at the least.

Not sure about you but I've gotten some great ideas out of this instead of me spending the massive amounts of money and then realizing that there was a better way to go. This is my first time considering a mod like this and I wasn't expecting it to be REALLY expensive. My friends uncle works for COB tuning and I always see him modifying his STI so I thought it was time for me to get a faster car or one with a more powerful engine at least.

Apologies if I do sound like a troll though, I'm a happy person so I can get carried away time to time
__________________
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms