Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-26-2012, 11:04 AM
GreekboyD GreekboyD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 461
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
RENNtech vs Evolve 335d Tune

Hi guys,

I live in Toronto, Canada and I've been looking at these two tunes for my D and was wondering what your feedback is.

The RENNtech one goes for $1200 and is backed by a 24 month warranty.:

http://www.renntechmercedes.com/www/node/680

The Evolve one is handled by VS Motorsports and they're based out of Illinois. Their tune costs $595 plus an additional $95 labour fee for a total of $690. It comes with 14 days money back guarantee if you're not happy with the tune.:

http://www.evolveautomotive.com/e9x-.../335d-286_735/

Both of these tunes require you to remove the DME/ECU and ship it to the respective tuners.

Looking for any possible info or feedback from people that either know about these tunes or have them on their Ds.

Thanks.

Last edited by GreekboyD; 01-26-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-26-2012, 11:28 AM
cssnms cssnms is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Murland
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 715
Mein Auto: '11 335d
Both good tuners, so I don't think you could go wrong either way. Evolve is very popular in Europe with many many happy customers. Both tunes require that you take your car/ecu to a local Evolve or Renntech dealer to have it flashed or alternitively ship your ECU in. I should also let you know that Dinan will be releasing their tune for the 335d so you may want to wait and see what they have to offer. I would guess price will be comprable or north of the Renntech tune.

Have you considered a piggy-back like the JBD?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-26-2012, 11:48 AM
GreekboyD GreekboyD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 461
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Both good tuners, so I don't think you could go wrong either way. Evolve is very popular in Europe with many many happy customers. Both tunes require that you take your car/ecu to a local Evolve or Renntech dealer to have it flashed or alternitively ship your ECU in. I should also let you know that Dinan will be releasing their tune for the 335d so you may want to wait and see what they have to offer. I would guess price will be comprable or north of the Renntech tune.

Have you considered a piggy-back like the JBD?
I'm not too keen on piggyback stuff like the JBD. Mostly paranoid I supppose that more harm will come from it down the line.

Thanks about the Dinan info. Do you know where their local dealers are available in North America? Also, how can the Evolve tune be at such a lower price in comparison to the RENNtech and most likely the Dinan one too?

Last edited by GreekboyD; 01-26-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,028
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
I'm not too keen on piggyback stuff like the JBD. Mostly paranoid I supppose that more harm will come from it down the line.

Thanks about the Dinan info. Do you know where their local dealers are available in North America? Also, how the Evolve one be at such a lower price in comparison to the RENNtech and most likely the Dinan one too?
Evolve probably sells a ton more tunes via their European based market which helps span their overhead costs. If you really think about it the tune probably costs the tuner next to nothing when you ignore R&D time. How proud a tuner is of their R&D time can grossly change from one place to another.
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-26-2012, 01:44 PM
GreekboyD GreekboyD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 461
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
Evolve probably sells a ton more tunes via their European based market which helps span their overhead costs. If you really think about it the tune probably costs the tuner next to nothing when you ignore R&D time. How proud a tuner is of their R&D time can grossly change from one place to another.
That's an excellent point. Living in Canada, I honestly don't have a feel for how big they are.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,028
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
That's an excellent point. Living in Canada, I honestly don't have a feel for how big they are.
Renntech and Dinan seem overly proud of their products and that is a generalized observation on my part. Out of the three choices I wonder who has the most experience with diesels? I'd like I think whomever has the most experience with diesels might in turn produce the best/safest tune. Just going to guess here but would imagine the cheapest option actually has the most diesel experience.
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-26-2012, 03:35 PM
GreekboyD GreekboyD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 461
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
Renntech and Dinan seem overly proud of their products and that is a generalized observation on my part. Out of the three choices I wonder who has the most experience with diesels? I'd like I think whomever has the most experience with diesels might in turn produce the best/safest tune. Just going to guess here but would imagine the cheapest option actually has the most diesel experience.
"VS Motorsports" who is the Evolve dealer for North America says they've had the tune for a week now but have yet to tune a d. Lots of interest and questions according to them though.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-26-2012, 03:48 PM
3ismagic#'s Avatar
3ismagic# 3ismagic# is offline
HerrDoktorProfessor
Location: Holiday Inn Cambodia
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,849
Mein Auto: '11 335d
Dinan has been threatening to release a tune for the 335d for a long time now. At this point I'll believe it when I see it.
__________________

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-26-2012, 04:20 PM
GreekboyD GreekboyD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 461
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
"Superlative Autosport Tuning" also has a 335d tune. They charge $795 for the tune plus $97 for overnight shipping both ways.

Here's their info on the tune:

http://www.superlativeautosport.com/...-software.html

They're located in Newport Beach, California.

Anyone heard of them?

Last edited by GreekboyD; 01-26-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-26-2012, 04:49 PM
3ismagic#'s Avatar
3ismagic# 3ismagic# is offline
HerrDoktorProfessor
Location: Holiday Inn Cambodia
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,849
Mein Auto: '11 335d
Can someone who has done it describe what is involved in removing the ECU for shipping?
__________________

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-27-2012, 06:08 AM
Axel61's Avatar
Axel61 Axel61 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Puerto Rico
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 876
Mein Auto: 335d
@3ismagic# you have to remove the cowl area and then the box next to the passenger side, i highly suggest you wrap your ECU with bubble wrap and tape it good and place it with Large ZIPLOC bag just in case the box gets wet. I hand held mines when i went to RENNtech during thanksgiving time.

@GeekboyD I beleive the european tuners are more knowledgable than the rest over here with the"D". I have used RENNtech twice once on my 02 MCS and now the "D". I stand by them since their product has never failed me. JBD I understamnd is very good as i have heard, downside is you have to either hide it or remove it, RENNtech flash is great BUT, if they (STEALERSHIP) does a reflash then youre out of luck, good thing RENNTECH will reflash again BUT again you have to ship it. As far as performance lets say from a stanstill DSC OFF with 19" VMR710 I can leave almost tire mark of almost 5 feet if I wanted. I am getting better mileage anywhere from 23-25 city in the city. Ive seen the computer say 40mpg but I beleive it was more 42mpg in the hwy, since I live here in Puerto Rico it is very hard to do Hwy Mpg, but overall Im getting 25mpg combined, to much freaking traffic!!

@Geekboyd i pmd you so give me call ok
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 AM
Concentric190 Concentric190 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: Turbo M3
I'll be doing the evolve tune @ vs motorsports. I've been slacking a bit on it, but I should have it done next week along with before/after dyno runs.
__________________
///Andres
09 335d evolve tuned - 327whp / 490wtq -- 13.0@105
95 M3 Turbo - Built 3.0l s52, PTE74GTQ, AEM EMS & CDI
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-31-2012, 07:50 AM
Axel61's Avatar
Axel61 Axel61 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Puerto Rico
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 876
Mein Auto: 335d
@Concentric190 good luck with ur tune, if it's as good as RENNtech's you will be amazed at the power and you will be kicking some Porsches asses,you can take that to the bank.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-31-2012, 10:09 AM
hotrod2448 hotrod2448 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,139
Mein Auto: E70 X5, F10 535i
I wonder how the european tuners go about adapting their maps for the USDM cars. I'd like to think they must have someone here testing the maps before they release them for sale but, I never seen anyone posting anything about it . The biggest difference is obviously the DEF system the US cars use but, lower fuel quality here is also something to consider. That is one area Dinan may have an advantage being based out of California. That being said the bang for the buck with them has never been stellar and you can likely expect what ever they put out to either under perform and/or be over priced.

I just wish one of these reflash companies had a large enough tuner network to have a shop in most major metro areas. I'd be much more inclined to do this if I could drive somewhere within an hour or two to have the map reinstalled if need be.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-31-2012, 10:14 AM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,028
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
I'd like to think the reason it took 2-3 years for the Euro tunes to show up here is because they were in fact testing and possibly changing things for different conditions(fuel, cars emissions, etc.). If that is not the reason it took so long then I'd be curious to know what was the reason for taking so long.
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 AM
hotrod2448 hotrod2448 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,139
Mein Auto: E70 X5, F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
I'd like to think the reason it took 2-3 years for the Euro tunes to show up here is because they were in fact testing and possibly changing things for different conditions(fuel, cars emissions, etc.). If that is not the reason it took so long then I'd be curious to know what was the reason for taking so long.
I'd like to think that as well but, based on what I've seen in the past I'd be surprised if it were. From what I understand when the US got the D was there was some new encryption that took a while to find a way around.

For some reason the BMW aftermarket seems to move fairly slow compared to the japanese and american markets. Look at how long it took for the 335i to get reflashes. I believe it wasn't released until the end of '09. Turbo kits, fuel pumps same story... When the Evo X launched AMS had the head off and being ported within a week.

Last edited by hotrod2448; 01-31-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Axel61's Avatar
Axel61 Axel61 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Puerto Rico
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 876
Mein Auto: 335d
@hotrod ur best bet if so desired is to go to RENNtech which would seem close yet so far away Lake Park, Florida. I would say somewhat like 9 hrs away by car or go the JBD way which is Piggy Back, its your car and your choice either way you wont regret the power you'll get from these companies!!!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-31-2012, 10:25 AM
hotrod2448 hotrod2448 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,139
Mein Auto: E70 X5, F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post
@hotrod ur best bet if so desired is to go to RENNtech which would seem close yet so far away Lake Park, Florida. I would say somewhat like 9 hrs away by car or go the JBD way which is Piggy Back, its your car and your choice either way you wont regret the power you'll get from these companies!!!
I just looked the M-B dealer about 1.5 hours away is a Renntech dealer. I wonder if they could do it? It would be kind of funny getting your BMW tuned at an M-B dealer.

I'm not doing a piggy back again. I had a procede on my 335i and wan't impressed. The power was great but, the car would occasionally lurch on part throttle, have to chase the setting when the temp changed, constantly getting nickel and dimed for updates that fixed things that shouldn't have made it to market to begin with. F-that. I'm not saying the JBD is the same way but, I'd rather not mess with an external unit.

Last edited by hotrod2448; 01-31-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,028
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
I'd like to think that as well but, based on what I've seen in the past I'd be surprised if it were. From what I understand when the US got the D was there was some new encryption that took a while to find a way around.

For some reason the BMW aftermarket seems to move fairly slow compared to the japanese and american markets. Look at how long it took for the 335i to get reflashes. I believe it wasn't released until the end of '09. Turbo kits, fuel pumps same story... When the Evo X launched AMS had the head off and being ported within a week.
Unless that encryption was not used in Europe then seems to me we still had a good 2 year delay before the tunes were available here while still there. Well assuming I have not misunderstood what 335d year models the tunes were available for over there.
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Axel61's Avatar
Axel61 Axel61 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Puerto Rico
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 876
Mein Auto: 335d
I dont think MB will tune a Bimmer but go ahead call Bob @ RENNtech and ask if they can go that way and He will talk to Hartmut owner of RENNtech to see if its viable, which I doubt it, but you never know!!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-28-2012, 07:45 PM
BuraQ BuraQ is offline
Moding is Addictive
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 115
Mein Auto: DCT 335is powered by PTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post

Looking for any possible info or feedback from people that either know about these tunes or have them on their Ds.

Thanks.
I dropped my car off to RennTech last week. I decided it was time to move forward from my Dinan Stage 3 tune to see what RennTech has to offer while taking advantage of the Dinan mods.

Professional, legit tuner company. These guys are like Dinan, they make manifolds, DPs, etc. They have full manufacturing abilities to build anything for engine and body upgrades

I know the owner personally, talk with him all the time on the track and the shop, really cool guy. Leni is their ECU/DME tunner, very humble and polite.

I am soo 110% positive about this compnay I put my warranty on the line, and I have had my car for only 8 months NEW. I dont even break a sweat about my 62k 335is being in their care.

If you are looking for results I will post some as soon as I get my car back. Their shop is literally 15 minute drive from where I live.
__________________
AP-V3 & Cobb Protuned by PTF: (New Times Coming Soon)
RENNtech Tuning: 11.78 ET @ 116 Mph in 1/4 mile YouTube
Dinan Stage 3: 12.5 ET (Best) 111 Mph (Best) in 1/4 mile
400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-28-2012, 09:05 PM
HIREN HIREN is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central Texas
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 129
Mein Auto: 335d & STi
Almost 100hp from the Renntech. Seems too good to be true! Someone test this out already!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-29-2012, 03:06 AM
Flyingman's Avatar
Flyingman Flyingman is offline
hang up and drive!
Location: Miami
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,841
Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIREN View Post
Almost 100hp from the Renntech. Seems too good to be true! Someone test this out already!
It is a 335i not a 335d.

So far Axel61 is the only one that has posted on the Renntech on his 335d.

I'm waiting with baited breath.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-29-2012, 03:39 AM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,028
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
One other person briefly posted about Renntech on their 335d.

Does anyone know if the ecu reflashes change transmission functions any? I know they do on some other make/models but did not know if even possible on these.
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-29-2012, 08:49 AM
HIREN HIREN is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central Texas
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 129
Mein Auto: 335d & STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
It is a 335i not a 335d.

So far Axel61 is the only one that has posted on the Renntech on his 335d.

I'm waiting with baited breath.
Renntech's website shows those numbers for a 335d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENNTECH WEBSITE
RENNtech ECU Upgrade 335d E90 (2007-2011- N73N2 Steptronic Diesel)

$1,200

Click to view images
SKU: ECUBMW:54.E90.335dN73
Our proprietary BMW ECU upgrade offers rock solid performance from RENNtech, the foremost tuning authority on Bosch and Siemens engine control units.
These same units are utilized in Mercedes Benz vehicles, which RENNtech has been tuning since electronic engine management started to show up in vehicles during the mid 1980's, though our proprietary tuning software and approach for BMW is completely unique and independent from our Mercedes tuning program.
RENNtech tuning software for BMW offers significant gains in performance and throttle response without sacrificing your daily driver BMW's reliability.
By modifying ignition timing and throttle mapping, optimizing air/ fuel ratios, increasing the top speed limiter, improving engine cooling and modifying boost mapping for turbo charged vehicles; RENNtech performance software unleashes your BMW's true potential.
Stock Peformance 335d E90 (2007-2011- N73N2 Steptronic Diesel):
265 HP /425 TQ
Gains:
358 HP / 496 TQ

Price: $1,200
__________________
'10 335d
'13 GT-R
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms