Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Hi Piers
The trace file you posted helped. It put me on the path of checking each one of the ASK.C0* files. Come to find out only the ASK.C04 profile has a tuner_vor_0905 for INST_ID_TUNER.

I have two ASK units on hand (plus the 2002 original). Both produce an ASK FSW_PSW.TRC file that is categorized in NCSExpert as ASK.C05 profile (i.e., not a C04 file with the "vor" option). One ASK unit is from an early 06 760i and the other is from a 2008 750i.

So....

Can I just change the value in the 2008 TRC to tuner_vor_0905 (which kicks out an error in NCS Dummy ASK.C05 profile) and hope that works? Or do I have to find an ASK that runs a ASK.C04 profile (and how does one determine what ASK part # to look for in that case)? Is there a way of 'forcing" NCSExpert to produce a ASK.C04 profile that will work?

Thanks for you and anyone else who helps me out on this.

Riff
Old 03-22-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riff View Post
Hi Piers
The trace file you posted helped. It put me on the path of checking each one of the ASK.C0* files. Come to find out only the ASK.C04 profile has a tuner_vor_0905 for INST_ID_TUNER.

I have two ASK units on hand (plus the 2002 original). Both produce an ASK FSW_PSW.TRC file that is categorized in NCSExpert as ASK.C05 profile (i.e., not a C04 file with the "vor" option). One ASK unit is from an early 06 760i and the other is from a 2008 750i.

So....

Can I just change the value in the 2008 TRC to tuner_vor_0905 (which kicks out an error in NCS Dummy ASK.C05 profile) and hope that works? Or do I have to find an ASK that runs a ASK.C04 profile (and how does one determine what ASK part # to look for in that case)? Is there a way of 'forcing" NCSExpert to produce a ASK.C04 profile that will work?

Thanks for you and anyone else who helps me out on this.

Riff
Update on the profiles of ASK.C04 and ASKC05.

When I loaded my ASK.C05 file into the NCS Dummy reader if returned the error "Unresolved function keyword "CODIERUNG_ERFOLGT" (which I think loosely translates to "coding is"). Make sure the chassis and module match those...(can't read the rest)". Interestingly enough this variable has a value of "codierung_erfolgt". I get a similar error when I try to enter " tuner_vor_0905" in the ASK.C05 file.

So using the stock NCS Dummy ASK.C04 profile with the required tuner_vor_0905 variable returns the first error mentioned above. Using the ASK.C05 profile and just changing "ab" to "vor" gives a similar error. Haven't figured out how that helps me yet. I look to you great minds to guide me in my quest.....
Old 03-26-2013, 05:06 PM

Anyone have any thought on this? I still cannot get it to work with the ASK.C04 file (the ASK in place generates a C05 file) without NCSExpert throwing an error (C04 has the "vor" option). Is it possible that I need to change the vehicle order to reflect the facelift ASK?

Given all the success on doing facelifts as shown on this forum I feel I am just missing some simple step.

Thanks for any ideas and guidance.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E65 745i
To be honest i'm not really certain here.

I just coded it with that trace and it accepted it and worked.

My ASK is from mid 2006, maybe the software on the newer ASK no longer has the option as it became redundant.

Maybe it is possible to flash the ASK with an older version of the software that accepts the command if yours is newer?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:44 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Anyone have any thought on this? I still cannot get it to work with the ASK.C04 file (the ASK in place generates a C05 file) without NCSExpert throwing an error (C04 has the "vor" option). Is it possible that I need to change the vehicle order to reflect the facelift ASK?

Given all the success on doing facelifts as shown on this forum I feel I am just missing some simple step.

Thanks for any ideas and guidance.

ok I tried to follow your post but they are all over the place .
if you like PM me your # & I will try to help you out ...

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i Sport
Riff

Are you using the FISTER profile in ncsexpert? this should allow you to override the .C0x file to match your ASK unit instead of whatever it defaults to based upon the build date code in your VO. (Other profiles might allow you to do this, but I'm not familiar with them so can't comment)

Are you using ncsdummy to make your changes to the trace file which makes it a lot more user friendly and prevents manual editing errors in the trace file. It will only allow you to select valid options available against each entry in the trace file.

If you have a 2008 ASK then you should be using the .C05 file.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:12 PM

Thanks to everyone for responding

Paper I will PM you tonight with my number. I am east coast USA.

I am using Revtor's NCS Expert Profile. I tried downloading FISTER but had virus problems with the site that offered it. Please LMK of a good site from which to download. I don't understand what you mean by overwriting. I thought each module had its own trace files that had to be modified based on their content and the desired mod. IOW, I don't understand how the profiles work.

I am also using NCSDummy.

Today I started from scratch. I reinstalled my original ASK (2002 745i) and read the TRC file (ASK.C02) and did the same for the 2006 and 2008 ASK (ASK.C05 for both).

I again tried to modify the TRC files for the 2006 and the 2008 using the "vor" option as found in ASK.C04. I tried uploading these files through NCSExpert as MAN files to each respective ASK. Unfortunately I got the same error as noted above.

I tried to use the ASK.C04 configuration with the 2002's TRC file. This gave me an error on an unrelated issue (VOLUME_MAX....) and additionally would not let me select any options (there were no radio buttons to check off).

I'd attach the TRC files but it looks like that can't be done. I did not note anything special about them.

Again - thank you all for your help.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:07 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 318i E46, 735i E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post

ok I tried to follow your post but they are all over the place .
if you like PM me your # & I will try to help you out ...
Paper.. i am in the same situation.... can you help me please....somehow i guess i bought a facelift ask without knowing it is. other users suggested that it is a FL ASK what i got , from the attached screenshot.

please help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-new2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	368897  
Old 03-30-2013, 12:25 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdarygm View Post
Paper.. i am in the same situation.... can you help me please....somehow i guess i bought a facelift ask without knowing it is. other users suggested that it is a FL ASK what i got , from the attached screenshot.

please help

Post a pic of the Ask unit you purchased

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App

Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Post a pic of the Ask unit you purchased

it looks exactly like pre-facelift version (attached)

but when i am trying NCSexpert and WinKFP, both are reading the ask.c05 file automatically which i guess is for facelift.... also the aasembly number is (9150992) which is the latest i guess

i have used WinKFP to write my VIN number and ZBUpdate. it was successful and now my ASK is showing my own VIN only but still sound for radio is not working (tried attaching my own old ASK and radio is working fine but front speakers are not working which i why i bought another one)

what else do i need to do ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ask.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	369231  
Old 04-02-2013, 01:00 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
it looks exactly like pre-facelift version (attached)

but when i am trying NCSexpert and WinKFP, both are reading the ask.c05 file automatically which i guess is for facelift.... also the aasembly number is (9150992) which is the latest i guess

i have used WinKFP to write my VIN number and ZBUpdate. it was successful and now my ASK is showing my own VIN only but still sound for radio is not working (tried attaching my own old ASK and radio is working fine but front speakers are not working which i why i bought another one)

what else do i need to do ?

Sorry I took so long to reply .
the Ask in your pic definately looks
Like a Non-FaceLift Ask unit . The
Only thing I can think of is the front
Of it was swapped & that's why it
Reads as a FaceLift unit . There are
A couple things you can do , but 1st
I would try to test the Ask unit in a
FaceLift car . Do you have any friends
Or can you get access to a FaceLift car ?

Old 04-02-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Sorry I took so long to reply .
the Ask in your pic definately looks
Like a Non-FaceLift Ask unit . The
Only thing I can think of is the front
Of it was swapped & that's why it
Reads as a FaceLift unit . There are
A couple things you can do , but 1st
I would try to test the Ask unit in a
FaceLift car . Do you have any friends
Or can you get access to a FaceLift car ?

unfortunately not....mine is the only 7er i can see in my company parking atleast....
Old 04-02-2013, 01:17 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Man that really sucks . Maybe make a
Topic asking if there is anyone in your
Area willing to let you try the unit in
There car

Old 04-02-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Man that really sucks . Maybe make a
Topic asking if there is anyone in your
Area willing to let you try the unit in
There car

sure....

but what is the process to code a Facelift version to pre-fl ? writing the VIN alone is not sufficient ? you have done good number of fittings right? what extra do i need to do ?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:34 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
sure....

but what is the process to code a Facelift version to pre-fl ? writing the VIN alone is not sufficient ? you have done good number of fittings right? what extra do i need to do ?
There is more to it than just coding . More
Info about your car is needed . Do you have
PDC sensors , what other upgrades have
you done or plan on doing ?

Old 04-02-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
There is more to it than just coding . More
Info about your car is needed . Do you have
PDC sensors , what other upgrades have
you done or plan on doing ?

it is E65 735i 2002 model... i have front and back PDC sensors (both working with new ASK)

no other upgrades other than the tuner antenna i replaced for radio...all are normal factory options....
Old 04-05-2013, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: e65 745i
Quote:
Update on the profiles of ASK.C04 and ASKC05.

When I loaded my ASK.C05 file into the NCS Dummy reader if returned the error "Unresolved function keyword "CODIERUNG_ERFOLGT" (which I think loosely translates to "coding is"). Make sure the chassis and module match those...(can't read the rest)". Interestingly enough this variable has a value of "codierung_erfolgt". I get a similar error when I try to enter " tuner_vor_0905" in the ASK.C05 file.

So using the stock NCS Dummy ASK.C04 profile with the required tuner_vor_0905 variable returns the first error mentioned above. Using the ASK.C05 profile and just changing "ab" to "vor" gives a similar error. Haven't figured out how that helps me yet. I look to you great minds to guide me in my quest.....
just fitted a facelift ask 25/06 today and having the exact same issue need help
Old 04-06-2013, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: e65 745i
All working now.I went and got the tuner module 06/06 from the car I got the ask from ,.plugged in and radio workd straight away ,I then was able to change the parameters i of the ask trc file c.05 in ncs dummy and write it back etc.but I know this doesn't solve the tuner issue of ab09/05 only being in the ask c.05 file but installing the newer tuner solved the loss of radio which was my only prob when fitting the facelift ask which had the uptodate trc file and I now can code anything I like in the ask file so job done
Old 10-16-2013, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745i, X5
Facelift MMI & Facelift Ask Unit

I am researching how to retrofit an Aux input for my early 2002 745i. Some of the online videos show how to install in an E65 equipped with Facelift MMI & Facelift Ask Unit. I assume this refers to the screen and the radio unit. How do I know whether I have this? Further, the unit must apparently be recoded to operate the Aux input. I believe I can do the installation of the Aux kit but don't where to turn for the coding.

Last edited by Eute; 10-16-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:03 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eute View Post
I am researching how to retrofit an Aux input for my early 2002 745i. Some of the online videos show how to install in an E65 equipped with Facelift MMI & Facelift Ask Unit. I assume this refers to the screen and the radio unit. How do I know whether I have this? Further, the unit must apparently be recoded to operate the Aux input. I believe I can do the installation of the Aux kit but don't where to turn for the coding.

The search feature is your friend !!!

but to help you out I will say that the FaceLift MMI & Ask unit
are in the years from 2006 to 2008 . So unless you changed
yours & upgraded those units , then NO you do not have FaceLift units ...

Old 02-17-2014, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 04 745i, 10 328i, 04 545i
Hey what's up guys, got a 2004 745i I am wanting to do a Mmi coding and also add the aux in the vo, I think I got the +naux down I just need some step by step help with coding the Mmi so that the aux shows up then I think I can do the +naux in the vo and then order the cord from bmw I watched "PAPER" video on pulling the ask and hooking up the 3 wires in the correct spots, I hope I am going in the right direction with this and of course I'm learning a lot from reading what you guys are posting.....anyways some help will be much appreciated Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1392661541.516110.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	423411

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app