Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 1988 BMW325is
Engine stalls after initial warm up?

Hello all!!
I have recently acquired a 1988 BMW 325is (all stock) with a starting issue that I cannot pin-point. The car drove up here (in North Bay) from Los Angeles, and the previous owner hit a concrete center median and crunched the oil pan and oil pump....he immediately shut it down and had the car towed to my house. I put a new (used) pan and an oil pump back in and fired it up.....it would run for about 5 minutes then stall. I found that the intake and exhaust gaskets were leaking and after replacing those, it still does the same thing every time I start the engine. I have installed a new O2 sensor, temp sensor, tested the throttle switch, new DME relay, tested ICV and cleaned MAF and now I am at a loss. Stomp test code read's 1222 . The fact that the car drove from LA to SF with no problem's before the accident leads me to believe that something was affected after the crash, but I just cant figure it out! I am a pretty fair mechanic, but this ones got me!!! I will hate to have to accept defeat and take it to a shop when it is most likely something relatively simple.
Any help or enlightenment is greatly appreciated!!
Thankyou
Jon
Ads by Google
Old 03-26-2014, 04:03 AM
Nick's Toys

Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
Does the car start right up again after dying or how long will you have to wait ?
From what I read
Quote:
stalls after initial warm up
the engine runs fine till it is up to operating temperature ?
So you can drive your car during warm-up ?
Is it manual, then I'd see if the engine being forced to turn over by the movement of the car will get the motor to re-start again ?
There is no way to keep the engine alive by playing with the accelerator with the box in neutral ?
Old 03-26-2014, 05:52 AM

Hello Nick, and thanks for the reply....I suppose that I could have been more descriptive...sorry....The car has a 5spd manual, and I can drive the car around the block a couple of times. Feathering the pedal does nothing either....the engine just stalls and will not restart until cooled off. The clencher here is that the car drove fine before the previous owner hit a piece of concrete and it was towed to my place. Weird.....My next guess is that when it gets to temp, it goes into "close-loop" and stall's due to heated or faulty relay...I have replaced the dme relay and the fuel-pump and sensor relay are coming next. This is very puzzling as I cannot target the problem....may be time to throw in the towel and take it in.$$$$$$$
Old 03-26-2014, 05:54 AM
Git

Mein Auto: 90 Ford Tempo
1, If you watch the tach from start to stall, how does it behave say 30 sec to 1 minute before the stall?
2, Have you measured the clearance between the CPS and the trigger wheel?
3, have you measured the electrical values of the CPS?

m
Old 03-26-2014, 06:04 AM

Hello 7PILOT, and thankyou for the reply.... the tach needle is erratic as to when the stalling occurs only. The car run's fine until this event with good throttle response. I changed the CPS, but did not get a gap measurement.....however, I also assumed that if it were defective, the car would not run very well at all...I will ck the gap and values just in case.
Thanks
Jon
Old 03-26-2014, 06:53 AM
Nick's Toys

Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
I would guess at a electronic componnt failing from het.
We had the same on some cars where the replacement Chinese coil would cease to function after about 10 minutes.
Look at the obvious without throwing money at it & then
narrow it down to whether you are not getting spark or fuel or both when it is dead.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:19 AM
Git

Mein Auto: 90 Ford Tempo
If the tach needle flicks from zero to just past idle as the engine starts to fail, test the ignition coil primary and secondary resistance and compare with spec.
The coil may be bad.

m
Old 04-07-2014, 05:23 PM

Okay Beemr Fan's!!! I found out the hard way after alot of diagnosing and replacing this sensor and that relay etc. to find out that my problem here was indeed a bad ecu!!! Even though it had no tell-tale signs of meltdown or corrosion, I just assumed that it was okay...:-( At any rate, I went to a local Pick n Pull junkyard and found another one out of a 535i that had the same plug (#179) and mine was a (#380) dme. It fired up and ran great!!!
However, I did order a (#173) dme which is interchangeable or groove's with the 325is. I think the next time I have any sudden or mysterious issue's, I will ck the DME first!!! Thanks all for your input!
PURA VIDA!!!!
Old 04-28-2014, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 89 bmw 325is
Maybe the fuel pump cut off switch was affected by the crash.