Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1991 525i Auto
After a lot of work, still some issues

88 convertible ..replaced drive shaft, front struts. New tires (front). This past summer replaced sway links and control arms. Tie rods were replaced also. However my car still plus to the right, slightly but noticeable. I also feel a a slight vibration while driving at higher speeds. What else could be the problem. I got an alignment after the strut and tie rod work which was a few days ago, but my car still "drifts" to the right f I let go of the steering wheel on the highway. The mechanic only replaced one of the tie rods, could that be the problem?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 12-30-2013, 08:28 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
well, depending on where your located on the road and how much its crowned, that would cause a slight pull to the right. my truck does it, my front right tire is slightly low and just had it aligned after the wheel bearing replacement. check wheel pressure all 4 corners and check tire depth on the rear, but worst case scenario a wheel bearing could be heading south.

if the mechanic printed off the alignment specs that would help to see if the camber/toe on the rear is out. and there is a possibility that he didnt get the alignment dead nuts.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E30 318i 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by omarphi215 View Post
88 convertible ..replaced drive shaft, front struts. New tires (front). This past summer replaced sway links and control arms. Tie rods were replaced also. However my car still plus to the right, slightly but noticeable. I also feel a a slight vibration while driving at higher speeds. What else could be the problem. I got an alignment after the strut and tie rod work which was a few days ago, but my car still "drifts" to the right f I let go of the steering wheel on the highway. The mechanic only replaced one of the tie rods, could that be the problem?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Vibration could be caused by tires out of balance, propshaft out of balance, center prop bearing failing, prop rubber Guibo failing or installed wrong.

If the drive shaft you replaced is the propshaft...the two pieces must be aligned together properly and the center bearing must be pre-loaded a quater inch forward towards the engine before tightening; the Guibo should have arrows on it to show the direction of the fastening bolts...if this is wrong then you get vibration and early Guibo failure.

Maybe try another wheel alignment shop to check the alignment.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 89 325i 2dr&DucatiMonster
It could be control arm bushings and tie rods should be done in pairs so your alignment comes out even ,allot of times the tie rods are really stiff when they're new and if you old one has been on the car awhile it's definitely not as tight. Or you could have a bent wheel or an out of balance wheel or your steering could be clocked wrong.It's a old car ,check the bushings they are notorious and get a second tie rod then have it aligned .