Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750 li
Speakers not working 1006 750 li

Title should be 2006 750 li, not 1006, whoops!

Okay so I know that the first thing most people say is its your logic 7 amp or ASK unit, or to use a fiber optic loop to figure out which one.

I just want to describe my problem since it seems like my situation is a little different than most that I've read about.

First of all, when I bought my car a few months ago, it came with this aftermarket "kicker" thing tied into my amp and im guessing into all my speakers too since there are so many wires going to it.

The only place I am getting any sound from is underneath my passengers seat, but nothing from any of my speakers.

However, my navigation works (just no sound obviously).
My single CD unit plays a CD and I can hear the music from underneath the passengers seat.
My CD changer plays CDs and I can hear the music from underneath the passengers seat.
My radio works and plays AM/FM stations, and I can hear the music underneath the seat.

If all of these things work and play music, I don't see how it could be my ASK unit or my amp (correct me if I'm wrong). Could it still be one of those things? Is it more likely that somehow this aftermarket kicker thing is messing things up?

I'm not really sure where to even begin now... the fiber optic loop is normally used to bypass the faulty unit and get things partially working again so you know whats wrong, but if everything is already working except for the speakers, how can I even figure anything out with the fiber optic loop?
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2015, 11:25 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
Maybe you can take a pic of the kicker & wiring
in your trunk , But more than likely It's your Ask
unit & your L7 amp .
Old 06-12-2015, 11:40 PM

Ok I will get pics. So you're saying even though the ASK unit is successfully playing a CD, it can still be the problem (for the front speakers)?
Old 06-12-2015, 11:57 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
Do some research .
The SEARCH FEATURE IS YOUR FRIEND !!!
It is all over this section , what speakers the
Ask unit control & what speakers the L7
Control . I'll say again , Both your units
Are out . There is a sticky topic above
With a repair shop that can fix them
Old 06-13-2015, 12:39 AM

I think you misread my post, I'm aware which speakers are controlled by which units. The only reason I made this thread is because I've used the search feature already and mostly everyone else has complete failure of navigation and radio when their ask unit or amp goes bad. I don't have that issue, but I'll take your word for it I guess. Thanks for the help.

Also I contacted that repair shop already and he told me to get the fiber optic loop and check which components are bad, hence this thread.

Last edited by mike750li06; 06-13-2015 at 12:41 AM.