Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-29-2012, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0
BMW X3 3.0 will not start.

BMW X3 3.0 will not start due to a weak/low battery.
Replaced with new battery, still will not start. all tyou hear is click when you turn the ignition key.
Still will not crank or start. Isthere a reset key or switch in the related systems? How does one get it to start?
Ben Alvarado
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
make sure your connections are clean and free from corrosion. make sure your connections are good and snug, but don't over tighten and break the hard to find and expensive terminal bolt and nut. is your new battery fully charged and does it have the CCA (cold cranking amperage) to turn the motor over and start.

good luck, Ben.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Battery might be newly purchased, but is it new? To make sure it's not the battery, measure with a voltmeter/multimeter. New battery with car off should be ~12.5V. For me, the lowest voltage I've ever measured and got my car to still start is 11.9V. Could definitely hear that it wasn't a happy start at that point though.

Original 2008 BMW X3 3.0si battery has 720CCA, 90Ah and 160RC. Check to make sure your replacement battery has 720CCA (or whatever CCA your model/year OEM battery has)
Old 02-06-2012, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Alvarado View Post
Replaced with new battery, still will not start. all tyou hear is click when you turn the ignition key.
Still will not crank or start. Isthere a reset key or switch in the related systems? How does one get it to start?
Ben Alvarado
My bluetooth computer was draining my battery,,, check yours out if you have one
Old 02-06-2012, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 08 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3
BMW FAN95 could you explain. We just lost our battery after just 12 months - but that also coincides with when we linked a phone to the car. Kinda thought it was just a new BMW battery with a bad cell - but it sounds like there is more to this - at least from your experience.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: x3 2005
Hello from Prague!
X3 2005 - 3.0d

-20 degree Celsius (that is not much in degree Fahrenheit)
and the car will not start ... starter runs and empties the battery, it smells like Diesel not burned, but only few "brom brom" as the car would start and will not...

After putting a heating system under the car for 30mn, + starting my wife's car and plug to a brand new battery (bought yesterday evening) - then the car will start....
The first minute you can feel that not all 6 cylinders are working/exploding - after 1 minute, then it is fine: the car keeps the slow RPM just above 800tr/mn and no problem at all.

However, 1 night in the cold and it is over ... even with a brand new battery.
Need to check the starter and the candles...

cheers,
Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The candles for sure! Good luck and I am jealous you get a diesel and we do not.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Glfbggy

Mein Auto: 07 X3si, 00 528, 00 MZ3
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider View Post
However, 1 night in the cold and it is over ... even with a brand new battery.
Need to check the starter and the candles...

cheers,
My personal experiences with Deisel in the cold is that there may be troubles as the fuel becomes less liquid and becomes almost like gelitine. You may want to look into a fuel additive that helps keep it more liquid. This doesn't sound like a battery issue so much as a cold weather and fuel issue.

Last edited by ghpup; 02-07-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:20 PM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider View Post
... -20 degree Celsius (that is not much in degree Fahrenheit) and the car will not start ... starter runs and empties the battery, it smells like Diesel not burned, but only few "brom brom" as the car would start and will not...

After putting a heating system under the car for 30mn, + starting my wife's car and plug to a brand new battery (bought yesterday evening) - then the car will start....
The first minute you can feel that not all 6 cylinders are working/exploding - after 1 minute, then it is fine: the car keeps the slow RPM just above 800tr/mn and no problem at all.

However, 1 night in the cold and it is over ... even with a brand new battery...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpup View Post
My personal experiences with Deisel in the cold is that there may be troubles as the fuel becomes less liquid and becomes almost like gelitine. You may want to look into a fuel additive that helps keep it more liquid. This doesn't sound like a battery issue so much as a cold weather and fuel issue.
"darkrider," I agree with "ghpup." According to this source -- and depending on the blend of diesel and amount of water contamination -- it could start to gel at a temperatures as 'high' as -9.5C/+15F. So if yours is getting cold-soaked to -20C/-4F, there's a very good chance your fuel pump is just trying to push waxy diesel sludge through your fuel lines/filter...

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Old 02-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Glfbggy

Mein Auto: 07 X3si, 00 528, 00 MZ3
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
"if yours is getting cold-soaked to -20C/-4F, there's a very good chance your fuel pump is just trying to push waxy diesel sludge through your fuel lines/filter...
I once got stranded late at night (ok early morning) in the mountains north of Bormio, Italy when the tempurature droped towards -15C*. We were 5 teenagers in a VW Golf. Eventually we received a tow from a Merc e450. The next morning after warming up, no problem....
Old 02-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Alvarado View Post
Ben Alvarado
Coming back to the original poster problem....If the battery and connections are good, I'd bet it's the starter.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: x3 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
"darkrider," I agree with "ghpup." According to this source -- and depending on the blend of diesel and amount of water contamination -- it could start to gel at a temperatures as 'high' as -9.5C/+15F. So if yours is getting cold-soaked to -20C/-4F, there's a very good chance your fuel pump is just trying to push waxy diesel sludge through your fuel lines/filter...
Thank you all for your feedback.

I was already adding additive:
few days back, car with "reserve" light on, I went to buy additive i put in the fuel tank, then 1/2 of the fuel tank of Shell Diesel V-Power and still same issue, the car with a new battery is not going anywhere.

I noticed as well that the new battery needs recharge after 3 days trying to start (about 8-10 starter kicks)
that leads me to think the starter is weak and is over consuming energy and not turning fast enough

so for me, next step, changing starter and pre heating candles