Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-30-2012, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi, m3
radio antenna

I have terrible radio reception, took my car to BMW and they said it was the antennae in the rear window and the only solution was to replace the window at a cost of $800- $1000 OUCH!!! Any suggestions?
Ads by Google
Old 01-30-2012, 06:36 PM
ZHP Mafia Member

Mein Auto: 2/2004 Imola ZHP
I would check the connections tight in the driver's side C Pillar first.

Sent from the HTC Thunderbolt
Old 01-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmajor View Post
I have terrible radio reception, took my car to BMW and they said it was the antennae in the rear window and the only solution was to replace the window at a cost of $800- $1000 OUCH!!! Any suggestions?
Radio reception on ALL E46s is sh!t, even when brand new....the only *real* solution is to drill a hole in your fender and have a (traditional) antenna installed. Not pretty, but at least they *work*....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330cic ZHP, Cold pkg
Countless stories of making sure everything is tight before you make you next move, as said earlier. That usually helps. Hopefully that will improve it, but yeah, the radio reception on these is poor. However, I've NEVER heard of a recommendation to replace the whole window, that sounds like BS to me.

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube
Active Autowerkes Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Performance Air Intake
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module
BMW Performance Strut Bar, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate
Old 01-31-2012, 06:26 AM
Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 323 Ci
As others have said, never heard of replacing the whole rear window and it sounds hinky to me. Check fittings first. Another issue might be the antenna amp. You radio is suppose to match the antenna amp. If your radio was ever changed and it didn't match the amp there would be an even greater loss to an already poor system. Make sure it matches, or you might consider just replacing the antenna amplifier with one from the bone yard.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:32 AM

e46 antennae

Amazingly I had the car at BMW and the tech checked the rear drivers pillar and said everything was tight and it was the tech who told me the only solution was replacement
Old 01-31-2012, 07:20 AM
Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 323 Ci
So now you have a decision: get a new one; get a used one; put up with it or use a MP3 player.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330cic ZHP, Cold pkg
You said the tech checked, but there are also settings on the radio... it's a long shot, but for instance, it could be set to EURO instead of US. I forget how to do it but I'm sure it's in the manual.

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube
Active Autowerkes Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Performance Air Intake
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module
BMW Performance Strut Bar, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate
Old 01-31-2012, 03:29 PM
Where's my avatar?

Mein Auto: BMW 330ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Radio reception on ALL E46s is sh!t, even when brand new....the only *real* solution is to drill a hole in your fender and have a (traditional) antenna installed. Not pretty, but at least they *work*....
Mine works fine. even put a smaller 9" antenna on it and the reception is great. Hard to generalize all of anything when there are so many variables involved like station output power, distance, location, interference, type of antenna, etc.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:56 PM

e46 radio

Thanks for the info I'll check to see if it's Euro or US. I may try a smaller antennae such as the ones Sirius uses attached to the trunk
Old 01-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneldorff View Post
Mine works fine. even put a smaller 9" antenna on it and the reception is great. Hard to generalize all of anything when there are so many variables involved like station output power, distance, location, interference, type of antenna, etc.
Remember, the convertible uses an antenna mounted on the drivers side rear fender. Totally different system. My vert radio is fine as well. Other systems use an antenna mounted to the inside of the rear window. If the continuity of the tracers is broken, reception will suffer. Auto parts places sell a kit to repair the tracers. Continuity can be checked with an ohm meter.

OP: not saying this will def solve the problem, but you may want to try deoxit, a contact cleaner, on all the connections before giving up.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:00 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
You`re missing The Big Picture here, Sport....which is that you happen to own the only model of E46 equipped with a *real* antenna....all sedans, coupes, and wagons get burdened with the in-the-glass variety, which, believe me, is for sh!t, regardless of location, etc.....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Where's my avatar?

Fast Bob said "ALL E46s is sh!t". He's wrong because mine is an E46 and the radio sound is audiophile quality. I own a McIntosh MR-77 tuner and the radio in my E46 picks as good as if not better. Now had you said E46's with window antenna's that would be a different story......sport.

At to the original poster, if the BMW service center said your antenna is bad I would tend to lean their way since it's not that hard to troubleshoot. You could probably find a dipole of some sort to mount and save a ton of money.

Last edited by Schneldorff; 01-31-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Fast Bob said "ALL E46s is sh!t". He's wrong because mine is an E46 and the radio sound is audiophile quality. I own a McIntosh MR-77 tuner and the radio in my E46 picks as good as if not better. He's certainly entitled to his opinion but I would take it with a grain of salt.

I believe I covered this in Post #12, genius....

Old 01-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Where's my avatar?

Quote:
I believe I covered this in Post #12, genius....
I didn't read post #12 Obama.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Where's my avatar?

Obviously not very fast fast bub. How many times have you been suspended here?
Old 01-31-2012, 05:43 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
Obviously not very fast fast bub. How many times have you been suspended here?
Your pushing your luck. 8 posts and you have an attitude? Get with the program or keep walking.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Where's my avatar?

He personally attacks me twice and I have the attitude? Is there a ranking system here where you are allowed to treat people with a lower number of posts like crap? All I did was defend myself. How about a little respect? Treat me as you would like to be treated.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:23 PM

e46 radio

I can't speak for all e46 BMW's but I also have a 2002 M3 and I agree that the convertibles with the small fender antennae get much better reception that the sedans or wagens. I drive both at least once a week depending on the weather and the sedan's radio reception sucks and the convertibles isn't perfect but it's much, much better.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
He personally attacks me twice and I have the attitude? Is there a ranking system here where you are allowed to treat people with a lower number of posts like crap? All I did was defend myself. How about a little respect? Treat me as you would like to be treated.
I am a highly-opinionated, heavily caffienated, equal opportunity curmudgeon, I treat *everybody* like crap....get used to it, it`s part of my charm. Now, pull your knickers up and act like a man, for Chrissakes....you`re running with the BIG dogs now....

Old 02-01-2012, 04:17 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
I am a highly-opinionated, heavily caffienated, equal opportunity curmudgeon, I treat *everybody* like crap....get used to it, it`s part of my charm. Now, pull your knickers up and act like a man, for Chrissakes....you`re running with the BIG dogs now....
And yet we all love you just the same. Go figure...

So if all E46's have the antenna in the rear window, which explains why my radio reception turns to crap when the rear defroster is on, then what the heck is that pointy thing on the back of my roof that I always assumed was the antenna?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 02-01-2012, 05:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i
Quote:
what the heck is that pointy thing on the back of my roof
- GPS antenna.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:46 AM
Quietly Learning E46

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post
then what the heck is that pointy thing on the back of my roof that I always assumed was the antenna?
I thought that thingy have something to do with using wireless devices in the cabin, like a cell phone for example. Correct?

ps: Thankfully my radio reception works very well, regardless of location
Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 328i
I saw this on BavAuto's blog page. Anyone try this fix yet or think it has merit?
http://blog.bavauto.com/10056/bmw-po...-other-models/

Sent from my EVO
Old 02-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWeis View Post
I saw this on BavAuto's blog page. Anyone try this fix yet or think it has merit?
http://blog.bavauto.com/10056/bmw-po...-other-models/

Sent from my EVO
See my post # 11 above.

Yes, it absolutely has merit. I have seen deoxit perform miracles on many types of electrical equipment. It improves connection quality dramatically. Check some of the reviews over at Amazon.com to see for yourself. They sell a small tube over there for around $7. A little goes a long way. Remember to check continuity of all connections, because it won't fix a physically broken connection.