Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > The MINI Board

The MINI Board
The Mini Cooper Forum

Old 03-23-2011, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325Cic Convertible
Exclamation What do BMW & MINI-Cooper have in Common?

Someone asked me this question. I wasnt too sure so Ive come to the BEST place where it can be answered. I believe they have the same transmission but thats it.

PLEASE ELABORATE
Old 03-25-2011, 06:44 AM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
I don't believe any MINI shares a transmission with any BMW model; if your friend is looking for mechanical commonality, I'd say there's none beyond fluids (e.g., coolant & oil).

That being said, BMW is the parent company of MINI -- and that may be the answer for which your friend is looking: the new (2001-current) MINI was primarily designed by BMW; so in essence, a MINI is a "Baby BMW..."

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Old 03-26-2011, 06:02 AM
Mini Cooper S Driver

Mein Auto: 2011 Mini Cooper S
Having changed from an 08 335i to a 2011 MCS, I would say a lot. Other than power seats, you can equip your MINI with a lot of the same options you find on a 3 series BMW and lots of things on the cars are very similar in operation.

2011 Mini Cooper S, 2014 M-Sport 335i Sedan
BMWCCA # 381930, nceuro.org
Old 07-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Vert
The engine is Peugeot. The body is made in England. The manual gearbox is a Getrag design but built worldwide. It is a world car. Some of the electronics are BMW clones but who knows who builds them. BMW will dump the car when it's sales diminish. Just like they dumped Rover. Build quality will remain good while Munich holds the company. When they sell it to a third world country then look out.

Last edited by compusatman; 07-07-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:12 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
MINI Hatch and Clubman are small front wheel drive cars built by BMW. The larger MINI Countryman is built for BMW by Magna in Austria.

MINI Cooper SD models are powered by a BMW N47 engine. This is the same engine BMW uses in the 118d. Neither of these cars are presently sold in the US.

Other MINIs are powered by versions of the Prince engine family. These engines are a joint venture between BMW and PSA Peugeot Citroen. The engine design is a based on a PSA motor but includes BMW technologies like Valvetronic and Efficient Dynamics. Some of the engine components come from France.

The motors are built at BMW's Hams Hall plant in England. Hams Hall produces all 4-cylinder gasoline engines for both BMW and MINI.

BMW Swindon produces body components and sub assemblies for MINI. BMW Swindon is one of the parts of the old Rover Group that BMW kept when selling off MG-Rover.

BMW Plant Oxford has the Body Shop, paint and assembly lines for the Hatch, Convertible and Clubman. Plant Oxford is in Cowley across the road from where the old Mini plant used to be. We've toured both Oxford and South Carolina and they both look like BMW plants...

The Countryman is built under contract by Magna Steyer in Graz Austria.

Current MINIs share electronics design with the e90 3 series. Drive both cars and you will notice some similarities. Few if any of the parts interchange though.

Links:

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/about/cor...ml?siteID=1364

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/about/cor...ml?siteID=1364
Old 03-31-2012, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 08 Tundra
The gas cap is exactly the same!!! Some may even share the same Brembo Brakes, other than built in same country that list isn't very long, yet I love my JCW beyond expectation!!
08 CRF 450 SM plated
Old 04-04-2012, 05:21 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars335 View Post
other than built in same country that list isn't very long,
Most MINIs are built in England. See my earlier post in this thread.

=====

The new F20 116i and 118i use a variation of the joint venture motor that powers most MINIs. The engine is built at Hams Hall along side the MINI motors.

These models are not sold in the US.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 04-04-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
The transmission is the least common part as the MINI is east-west front wheel drive and the whole BMW range is north-south rear wheel drive. Ever seen these cars on a hoist, Rana? OK "X' vehicles and Countryman etc etc etc