Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > 2004 Events > Santa Barbara, CA - May 1

Santa Barbara, CA - May 1

Old 05-03-2004, 08:59 PM
10 YEARS!!!

Send a message via AIM to JT///M3
Mein Auto: 99 MCoupe/01 740iSport
anyone got a speeding ticket?

or pulled over?! Someone make me feel better. I got nailed on the 101.
99 MCoupe Arctic Silver---> Laguna Seca Blue - Sold
01 740i Sport Titanium Silver- Sold
04 X5 4.8is Estoril - Sold
98 M3/2 - His - Sold
97 M3/4 - Hers - Sold

Ads by Google
Old 05-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Drive Sideways

Send a message via AIM to Infamous
Mein Auto: 1995 Dakar M3, 89' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT///M3

here is mine:

clocked me at 103 in 55..

Let me go because he ran out of tickets.....PRICELESS
Old 05-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
85 in a 70 in Arkansas. You guys are making me feel better.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:45 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumratt
Hmmmmmm. I'm not sure I'm buying this..

Seriously?
Sometimes you just have dumb luck on your side I guess.... he lucked out there...

I heard everything that was happening so I cruised by them at 65...

Speeding caravan about 20 mins ahead of me.... Speeding caravan about 20 mins behind me..... V1 bleeping Ka alert....

Electronic Countermeasures Active!

As I passed one officer, they gave me the death stare as I went by... but I wasn't doing anything wrong so....

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 05-03-2004, 10:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
Sometimes you just have dumb luck on your side I guess.... he lucked out there...

Speeding caravan about 20 mins ahead of me.... Speeding caravan about 20 mins behind me..... V1 bleeping Ka alert....

As I passed one officer, they gave me the death stare as I went by... but I wasn't doing anything wrong so....

On the way back from Butt-on-willow, Butthead encountered five active pings.

But thanks to the V1 directional arrows, he still made it from Butt-on-Willow back to West LA in 1.5 hours.

If the arrow says behind and the signal is weak, Butthead says to put foot to floor and leave it there.

If the arrow is in front and weak, speed up until the signal got stronger.

It's all about the efficient use of drive time.
88 325is Black/Cinnamon 5 speed
Old 05-03-2004, 10:05 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
We saw 2 situations on the tail end of the drive down from the observation area... One car pulled over with a motocop and a cruiser, and later on another car pulled over with a cruiser. Don't know if those folks actually got tickets or not.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Drive Sideways

Send a message via AIM to Infamous
Mein Auto: 1995 Dakar M3, 89' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumratt
Hmmmmmm. I'm not sure I'm buying this..

Seriously?

yup, you probably wouldnt beleive me even if i told you the story 10 times...
Old 05-03-2004, 11:03 PM
Monsoon 330Ci

Mein Auto: BMW 520iA... for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity
We saw 2 situations on the tail end of the drive down from the observation area... One car pulled over with a motocop and a cruiser, and later on another car pulled over with a cruiser. Don't know if those folks actually got tickets or not.

That happened right next to me. I was turning to the 101 in the left most lane, when the cop pulled over the E36 Cabrio right next to me. My car bra must have spooked him.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:20 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i
infamous i saw you guys getting back into your car with fatty smiles, so i believe you

i got a ticket for 85 in a 65 last year on the way down
Old 05-04-2004, 01:31 AM
E21 Legion !

Send a message via AIM to MattE21
Mein Auto: E21 320is
1100 miles in 3 days. 85% of the highway time was at 100mph+ (yes even my little E21 M10 can do that) no tickets.. sure pushed our luck oin the I10! got hit with KA and lazer a few times.

Bfest 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09 veteran -- DJ Matty
DOWNLOAD THE 2010 Bfest MIX! http://nmbr1dj.com/2010/05/the-unoff...10-double-mix/
Old 05-04-2004, 01:52 AM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy

Some of these guys were spotted by a police plane prior to being pulled over. A radar does come in handy, but I'm sure everyone exceeded the speed limit to bimmerfest, so if you get a ticket, it's just plain bad luck.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto: 20014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous

clocked me at 103 in 55..

Let me go because he ran out of tickets.....PRICELESS
Around here you would have been charged with reckless driving which takes it out of the realm of a traffic violation since it would now be a criminal (misdemeanor) charge. They would have a choice of throwing you a$$ in jail.

In Texas reckless driving (note that there is no speed threshold) is defined as:

A person commits an offense if the person drives a vehicle in wilful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property.

According to this chart driving over 100 MPH in CA is considered reckless driving.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:05 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE21
1100 miles in 3 days.
Dude- I did 1100 miles YESTERDAY. Really tired...

It was great to see you E21 guys, though- we talked ab you guys a few times on the way home. Great cars. I cant wait to see your cars and you guys again!
Old 05-04-2004, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: A highly Modded E21
Thanx Mike, It was great to meet you guys! hope to see you again next year BTW Congrates the new member on the way!

E21 LEGION
Bimmerfest: 01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10 Veteran
Old 05-04-2004, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heezy545i
Some of these guys were spotted by a police plane prior to being pulled over. A radar does come in handy, but I'm sure everyone exceeded the speed limit to bimmerfest, so if you get a ticket, it's just plain bad luck.
Yep I know... I heard them relaying information back and forth...

And yes... everyone does... but not everyone goes as far as going 100+...

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 05-04-2004, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
Just barely escaped the CHP. There were 2 cruisers waiting around the bend. Not enough time for us to react includig the V1. Plane clocked us 5 at 90. We were going faster than that most of the time. I was 3 cars behind JT when they pulled the 3 cars in front of me. Just bad luck for some guys and being at the wrong place at the wrong time. I felt real bad.

Last edited by antetr95; 05-04-2004 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Monsoon 330Ci

Mein Auto: BMW 520iA... for now
At the caravan there were a few guys pretty hairy though. Jumping the double-yellow line passing other cars and almost squeezing the oncoming traffic. We just cruised casually knowing the area was swarming with the CHP's.

But outside the 'Fest area, especially on the way back along the I-5 out of LA and all the way to Redding there were absolutely no cops whatsoever. According to the OBC, I averaged 80MPH with stops for lunch, gas and restrooms every 100 miles or so. Other drivers probably thought what that crazy Oregonian was in a hurry for on a Sunday.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akakubi
At the caravan there were a few guys pretty hairy though. Jumping the double-yellow line passing other cars and almost squeezing the oncoming traffic. We just cruised casually knowing the area was swarming with the CHP's.
And it's that very thing that they are looking for.... people driving like morons...

that's why I like to stay away from massive caravans because you just know some people are going to try and pull that stuff on the road...

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 05-04-2004, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: German
Butthead speaks

OK, there are misinformation abound here...

First of all, unlike most other backward states, in CA, simply going over 100 is NOT enough evidence for reckless driving, 23103.

Remember that 23103 is misdemeanor, which means that you are guaranteed by the Constitution to a jury trial and even public defender (though you probably don't want to use them). What this translates to is $$$$ to the court to get a measly $1000 max fine for a first time offense. It is not cost effective for the court system to do so.

In CA, a separate code exists that specifically deals with going over 100, it is the infamous 22348b, which is an infraction. An infraction means that while the state preserve all the rights in prosecution, the defendant does not get jack. But in return, the state guarantees that the defendant will not face any possibility of jail time. Now as you can see, this is a profitable proposition, because separate fine scale exists for 22348b, and they don't have to give you a jury trial. You get your two points and $500 fine (or more if the judge hates your guts), and you and the courts both go on your merry way.

The best case scenario is if the cop write you up for say 22349 or 22356. So you get a ticket for say, 130 in a 65. Because these codes are only one point, I would suggest that you count your lucky stars in these cases and just pay the fine and take the one point and thank the cop.

Lastly, the plane tickets are easy too. You need both the citing and the arresting officers to show up in court for the ticket to stand. Otherwise it's pure hearsay. This means, both the pilot and the ground guy have to show up, otherwise you can prevent the ground guy to even utter a single word about your case.

There, I am done typing for Butthead.
88 325is Black/Cinnamon 5 speed

Last edited by Stuka; 05-04-2004 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka
You mean from Mr. KIA? Other than that, I see no other glaring signs of misinformation...

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 05-04-2004, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 88 e30 M3 81 e21 316
Butthead is very well informed on the speed codes. Regarding the 103 in a 55, yes the guy ran out of tickets. I work with the guy and I talked to him yesterday about it. Its not unlike him to be out on the road with no tickets I hope no one got a picture of the Officer talking to the guy, I don't want to get replaced
Old 05-04-2004, 11:09 AM
Estoril Blue M3-er

Send a message via AIM to m3teknitian
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW M3
Quote:
Don't worry about it, I was there with you ~_^

Check out bf.c to check out the pics that the estoril m roadster took of us. Lol
Old 05-04-2004, 11:12 AM
Estoril Blue M3-er

Send a message via AIM to m3teknitian
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka

First of all, unlike most other backward states, in CA, simply going over 100 is NOT enough evidence for reckless driving, 23103.

Remember that 23103 is misdemeanor, which means that you are guaranteed by the Constitution to a jury trial and even public defender (though you probably don't want to use them). What this translates to is $$$$ to the court to get a measly $1000 max fine for a first time offense. It is not cost effective for the court system to do so.

In CA, a separate code exists that specifically deals with going over 100, it is the infamous 22348b, which is an infraction. An infraction means that while the state preserve all the rights in prosecution, the defendant does not get jack. But in return, the state guarantees that the defendant will not face any possibility of jail time. Now as you can see, this is a profitable proposition, because separate fine scale exists for 22348b, and they don't have to give you a jury trial. You get your two points and $500 fine (or more if the judge hates your guts), and you and the courts both go on your merry way.

The best case scenario is if the cop write you up for say 22349 or 22356. So you get a ticket for say, 130 in a 65. Because these codes are only one point, I would suggest that you count your lucky stars in these cases and just pay the fine and take the one point and thank the cop.

Lastly, the plane tickets are easy too. You need both the citing and the arresting officers to show up in court for the ticket to stand. Otherwise it's pure hearsay. This means, both the pilot and the ground guy have to show up, otherwise you can prevent the ground guy to even utter a single word about your case.

There, I am done typing for Butthead.
Is there a special code for the plane catching your speed? On my ticket, the code says: 22349(a)VC. I was caught by the plane, so I'm hoping that either the officer or pilot, or even both, don't show up
Old 05-04-2004, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpahoy
Butthead is very well informed on the speed codes. Regarding the 103 in a 55, yes the guy ran out of tickets. I work with the guy and I talked to him yesterday about it. Its not unlike him to be out on the road with no tickets I hope no one got a picture of the Officer talking to the guy, I don't want to get replaced
I'm sorry... but I just find that sort of amusing... I have some law enforcement officer buddies and they've always told me how they'd get in trouble if anyone found out they ran out of tickets or something of the sort.... but hey... it's all good...

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 05-04-2004, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3teknitian
Is there a special code for the plane catching your speed? On my ticket, the code says: 22349(a)VC. I was caught by the plane, so I'm hoping that either the officer or pilot, or even both, don't show up
22349a put simply is for exceeding 65mph IIRC....

that means you weren't written up for 100+... otherwise it'd likely be 22348b.

Oh and if you were caught by the plane, and do go to court, I believe both officers need to show up because the arresting officer would be the guy in the plane... (in most cases).

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG

Last edited by doeboy; 05-04-2004 at 11:19 AM.