Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Ambient temperature alert

I was driving along the interstate this morning and got the 37 degree temperature alert four separate times within the span of about 40 minutes. I guess I was driving in and out of low/cold spots.

That's some pretty poor programming on BMW's part. A single 'hey- it's kinda cold outside' notification per trip is a gracious plenty.

It's pretty hard to find things to complain about regarding the F10. That's the best I could come up with.
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2012, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgscott987 View Post
I was driving along the interstate this morning and got the 37 degree temperature alert four separate times within the span of about 40 minutes. I guess I was driving in and out of low/cold spots.

That's some pretty poor programming on BMW's part. A single 'hey- it's kinda cold outside' notification per trip is a gracious plenty.

It's pretty hard to find things to complain about regarding the F10. That's the best I could come up with.
I for one find the ambient alert unnecessary, whenever I hear I assume the worst (engine warning, etc )
Old 01-31-2012, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgscott987 View Post
Let us know if you need some help on that!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
I for one find the ambient alert unnecessary, whenever I hear I assume the worst (engine warning, etc )
Agreed. Every time I hear it I think something is wrong. It's also annoying having to explain to your passenger why your car just dinged.

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 01-31-2012, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
More nanny nonsense. You know why this is unnecessary, because we're human. My essence tells me that it's cold. What's next, it's raining no umbrella detected warning? Cabin Methane detected, you ate Mexican food last night didn't you warning?
Old 01-31-2012, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
Cabin Methane detected, you ate Mexican food last night didn't you warning?
Post of the day!

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 01-31-2012, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
We've been down this road a few times. I have to agree though. It catches me off guard every time and scares the crap out of me. I wish it could be turned off..
Old 01-31-2012, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: '10 M5
Well, I disagree. The system is working as designed, and simply alerting you to the fact that there may be ice on the road. I think that's useful.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhs156 View Post
Well, I disagree. The system is working as designed, and simply alerting you to the fact that there may be ice on the road. I think that's useful.
If you can drive, much less drive a new 5 series BMW, then you should be able to tell that it is cold enough outside for ice to form...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 01-31-2012, 07:47 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
If you can drive, much less drive a new 5 series BMW, then you should be able to tell that it is cold enough outside for ice to form...
They've deemed 37 degrees as the potential point at which ice can form on roads, bridges, etc. You're driving along, and when you left the house, it was 40 degrees. It's raining outside. As you continue your route, you're saying you KNOW when the temperatures drops the few degrees needed to start being more careful? Highly doubtful. Why not just take the single warning chime as a helpful hint, as its intended to be? Not a big deal to me, I glance down and see the text associated with the gong and continue on my way. Thank you BMW. And BTW, the warning is nothing new, my '05 E46 had the warning signal as well.

How many of you have the silly lane departure warning system? How do you like that light constantly blinking in your face when you can see with your own eyes that there is a car next to you? I don't see complaints about that one.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 01-31-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
the warning is nothing new, my '05 E46 had the warning signal as well.
It's on my '02 E39 too, but I've never had multiple alerts like the OP is reporting, not in 110,000 miles of driving in all sorts of different climates. Mine beeps once, then shuts up for the rest of the drive.

Current: 2012 550i - Jet Black - Black Leather - M Sport
Retired: 2002 540i - Jet Black - Black Leather - M Sport
Old 01-31-2012, 09:37 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
The algorithm, at least on older BMWs, is that it chimes once when temps fall to or below 3C then shuts up except if temps rise above 6C then fall back again. So if you were driving in locations where there were wide swings in temperatures exceeding the range specified, then yes it will sound multiple times. But it shouldn't be sounding multiple times if you were say, going between 2,5C and 4C.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
would be nice if it could be disabled in idrive as it scared me too, always think it is a blown RFT. I have gotten used to looking at the temp for the few days a year when it hovers around freezing and there is precip, I also look at the time, oil temp, tach, etc. I don't need my BMW to ring like a church bell on the hour, I can look at the clock.

Last edited by Kar Don; 01-31-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 IX - March build
Yep. That's the algorithm on the F10 and that's the way it should work. It detects that the temp has fallen to or below a certain level (set at 37 F in this case) and it alerts you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
The algorithm, at least on older BMWs, is that it chimes once when temps fall to or below 3C then shuts up except if temps rise above 6C then fall back again. So if you were driving in locations where there were wide swings in temperatures exceeding the range specified, then yes it will sound multiple times. But it shouldn't be sounding multiple times if you were say, going between 2,5C and 4C.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
They've deemed 37 degrees as the potential point at which ice can form on roads, bridges, etc. You're driving along, and when you left the house, it was 40 degrees. It's raining outside. As you continue your route, you're saying you KNOW when the temperatures drops the few degrees needed to start being more careful? Highly doubtful. Why not just take the single warning chime as a helpful hint, as its intended to be? Not a big deal to me, I glance down and see the text associated with the gong and continue on my way. Thank you BMW. And BTW, the warning is nothing new, my '05 E46 had the warning signal as well.

How many of you have the silly lane departure warning system? How do you like that light constantly blinking in your face when you can see with your own eyes that there is a car next to you? I don't see complaints about that one.
If they want to illuminate a snowflake thats fine. But don't give me the same warning chime as something very serious that would cause a driver to get startled...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 02-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
For those of you who complain of the chime causing unnecessary worry: what about the seat belt or key-in-ignition chime (required by US law)? Doesn't that bother you too?

Maybe it's just a personal/regional preference thing. I like the Ice warning as it does matter but I drive a lot on country roads where there can be cold spots with the potential of black ice, so I do like to know this. Seat belt and key chimes are pointless- I had the latter coded out on my X3 and my X3 doesn't have seat belt chime anyway.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
For those of you who complain of the chime causing unnecessary worry: what about the seat belt or key-in-ignition chime (required by US law)? Doesn't that bother you too?

Maybe it's just a personal/regional preference thing. I like the Ice warning as it does matter but I drive a lot on country roads where there can be cold spots with the potential of black ice, so I do like to know this. Seat belt and key chimes are pointless- I had the latter coded out on my X3 and my X3 doesn't have seat belt chime anyway.
Those chimes are when you start the car, you expect them. They don't happen as you step on the gas when you are merging onto a freeway...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 02-01-2012, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix
Quote:

Agreed. I would add that the periodic temperature alerts can be especially useful in mountainous regions where there are passes between higher and lower elevations, with corresponding fluctuations in ambient climate, particularly in the Northeast, Rockies, etc., in the U.S., and similar terrains worldwide. This is a welcome safety feature for me. Perhaps the tone of the weather alert may be differentiated from other auto alerts and warnings to avoid confusion and frustration.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:10 PM

I agree with those who say let it be turned off. I've done just fine the past 37 years knowing the conditions I'm driving in. Like the idea about highlighting snowflake. The abrupt and sometimes constant chime while driving borders on being dangerous. There's a lot I like about this car but this is one feature I don't!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
I thought that we were all born with an ambient temperature alert. It is called a mom. No matter how old you get, it will always be unnecessary for BMW to install an ambient temperature alert in the vehicle as long as your mom is around.

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 02-02-2012, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Quote:

If one cannot safely drive a car without such unnecessary (and quite stupid - it's winter, for god's sake!) warning - may be it's time to use public transit?

Lane departure warning - is not a nanny. It's a feature. You can use it, or you can not to use it. It's your own choice. Everybody living in a free country must have choice, agree?
Old 02-02-2012, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhs156 View Post
Yup!
There might be ice on the road.
There might be water on the road.
There might be mirage on the road.
There might be gravel on the road.
There might be bricks on the road.
There might be traffic on the road.
There might be potholes on the road.
There might be incoming traffic in wrong direction
There might be narrow road
There might be no road at all
There might be student driver near you
There might be unlicensed uneducated drunk punk just behind you
There might be ....

How many warnings and cautions are required to safely lift a cup of coffee from the counter?
May be we need to slightly less rely on other people, and get used to take care of yourself without external help?
Old 03-28-2012, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 528 XI
I am glad I found this thread after searching for 2 days for a picture of the warning light I saw. When I heard the chime go off and saw a warning light come on my thoughts were oh ****! another problem on my 400 mile old car. It go in tomorrow for them to look at why "transmission Malfunction" occurred at 331 miles. At least I won't wont be wondering what that chime is. I felt like the Beverly Hillbillies looking for what the doorbell sound was. (showing my age)