Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i cabrio
Comfort Access key battery replacement: fact or crap?

I've had my E93 for less than a year and I use the CA key fob to open and close the roof pretty much every time I do it. A few days ago I started getting the "battery discharged" warning from the car after starting it up. Okay, sure, I can accept that my aggressive use of remote transmitting is hard on the poor thing.

So I call the dealership and they want me to bring it in for a service appointment.

"Can't I just come in and have you replace the battery and be done with it?"

"No, because the key needs to be re-initialized after the battery is replaced."

"But your parts guys said they'd just do it for me right there if I bought the battery straight out."

"No, you have to re-initialize. That takes about three hours. When would you like to bring the car in?"

SO.... fact or crap?

The car manual has battery replacement instructions that say nothing about "after replacing the battery you need to take it to the dealer", and it seems to me that that'd kind of be a big deal to skip in the manual. While I have no idea about this, I HAVE had a service guy at this dealership tell me to put the key into the slot to recharge even after I repeated that it's Comfort Access. So my level of trust about the small stuff like this isn't really high. I took it in (because the dealership isn't really out of my way: part of why I bought there) and repeated all of this to the service guy, who clarified:

"If you replace the battery yourself, you'll be able to lock and unlock the car and drive it, but the Comfort Access won't work."

WTF?

So.... what's the truth here?

ED March 2011 / 328i Cabrio / Tasman Green / Saddle Brown / Sport / 6MT / iDrive / Joy
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
CA batteries are generic CR2032 that can be purchased at Radio Shack. They are nor rechargeable and will eventually need to be replaced. I replaced one of mine recently and it is a very simple procedure and the dealer does not need to reset anything.

You pop the key out the back of your fob and use a dime and twist in the thin slot below the key hole, it pops a small cover off the bottom/back of the fob, that is your CA battery.

The battery does not charge when the fob is in the dash.

Positive plus sign faces towards you when inserting the new battery.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 02-01-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsciv View Post
I've had my E93 for less than a year and I use the CA key fob to open and close the roof pretty much every time I do it. A few days ago I started getting the "battery discharged" warning from the car after starting it up. Okay, sure, I can accept that my aggressive use of remote transmitting is hard on the poor thing.

So I call the dealership and they want me to bring it in for a service appointment.

"Can't I just come in and have you replace the battery and be done with it?"

"No, because the key needs to be re-initialized after the battery is replaced."

"But your parts guys said they'd just do it for me right there if I bought the battery straight out."

"No, you have to re-initialize. That takes about three hours. When would you like to bring the car in?"

SO.... fact or crap?

The car manual has battery replacement instructions that say nothing about "after replacing the battery you need to take it to the dealer", and it seems to me that that'd kind of be a big deal to skip in the manual. While I have no idea about this, I HAVE had a service guy at this dealership tell me to put the key into the slot to recharge even after I repeated that it's Comfort Access. So my level of trust about the small stuff like this isn't really high. I took it in (because the dealership isn't really out of my way: part of why I bought there) and repeated all of this to the service guy, who clarified:

"If you replace the battery yourself, you'll be able to lock and unlock the car and drive it, but the Comfort Access won't work."

WTF?

So.... what's the truth here?
Their advice is crap. You can replace the battery yourself without the need to re-initialize the key.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:08 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Since the manual tells you how to replace the battery and there is no mention of any of this other nonsense, I vote CRAP!

But I'd love to see any BMW Service Bulletin that states what you were told by your dealer, if in fact one does exist.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 PM
California Über Alles

Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Their advice is crap. You can replace the battery yourself without the need to re-initialize the key.
+1

To the OP:

Technical Answer: I don’t know. But as you noticed, your owner’s manual tells you how to change the battery and doesn’t say anything about reinitializing anything. And that all it says about the dealer’s involvement it to take your old battery to the dealer for disposal.

Practical Answers:

1. Did it myself with my ‘08 cabrio and nothing needed to be initialized. Buy your own battery for $2 or $3 and see if it works. If not, put your old battery back and take it to the dealer.

2. Call another dealer service department. Sounds like yours does not care too much about inconveniencing you unnecessarily. Who is that dealer? Maybe they'll want to either explain their position or stop giving that kind of advice out.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
Since the manual tells you how to replace the battery and there is no mention of any of this other nonsense, I vote CRAP!

But I'd love to see any BMW Service Bulletin that states what you were told by your dealer, if in fact one does exist.
I had an SA at Manhattan BMW insist that the CA battery is rechargeable. I just agreed with him and went out and bought a new battery,

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 02-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:

SO.... fact or crap?
El Capitan-size pile of crap. I've replaced the batteries myself. Everything works fine.
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 02-01-2012, 03:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to groundeffect
Mein Auto: 335i
Sounds to me the fellow you spoke with, thought your main car battery was giving you problems.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
Sounds to me the fellow you spoke with, thought your main car battery was giving you problems.
If he did then he does a really remarkable job of appearing to understand English while not doing so at all!

I've dealt with this particular service guy before (I had an issue with my hard top right after I bought it), and he strikes me as one of those "I'm right and you're not" guys. I think that I'll probably request in the future to specifically not deal with him. The CA I bought the car from is nothing but helpful (she was instrumental in getting BMW to address a problem that slipped through from my ED and is extremely knowledgeable), the parts guys are friendly and work with me easily, and the OTHER service guy isn't so bad to deal with.

FWIW, I did leave the car with them as they're right near where I go to lunch and are not really that far out of the way on my drive home. I figured it was crap, but since I had called and gotten such a strong "no no, you HAVE to have us service it," I'd take it in and see if I could get a straight answer. I was polite but persistent, and they pretty much stuck to the story. They're paying for the battery and they're waiving gas on the loaner, so really at this point I'm not out anything, I'm just in it to see if they'll cop to unnecessary service or not.

I'm not really interested in switching dealers if I can help it since they're SO conveniently located. But at this point I do want to sit down with my CA and tell her exactly what I think of the service I've been getting, and I could definitely be prepared to take my service needs elsewhere if something actually SERIOUS seemed wrong with the car.

ED March 2011 / 328i Cabrio / Tasman Green / Saddle Brown / Sport / 6MT / iDrive / Joy
Old 02-01-2012, 03:55 PM
California Über Alles

Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
Quote:
I'm not really interested in switching dealers if I can help it since they're SO conveniently located. But at this point I do want to sit down with my CA and tell her exactly what I think of the service I've been getting, and I could definitely be prepared to take my service needs elsewhere if something actually SERIOUS seemed wrong with the car.
You got a LOANER on a key fob battery replacement job???!!!!! They are grooming you to see them for the tiniest maintenance job when your warranty expires and then they'll stick it to you good!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: e61, e93, MB 380SL
Just another comment, but my dealer CA suggested I change it myself, and showed me how the case popped open. Took 2 minutes max, no dealer involved at all, Radio Shack battery. There is a lot of confusion about these batteries because the non comfort access remote has a rechargeable battery, while the comfort access fob is replaceable, yet they look almost exactly alike. For those with the rechargeable fob, anyone ever leave their spare on the shelf too long and have it discharged? It is supposed to be used for a reasonable trip every 6 months or so to keep it charged. Now that I think about it, I'll have to pull mine of the shelf for that too. I've got one of each system, which leads to some confusion with both fobs looking alike.

Last edited by mbsl98; 02-01-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
Keys do not need to be re-initialized even if the main car battery is replaced.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsl98 View Post
Just another comment, but my dealer CA suggested I change it myself, and showed me how the case popped open. Took 2 minutes max, no dealer involved at all, Radio Shack battery. There is a lot of confusion about these batteries because the non comfort access remote has a rechargeable battery, while the comfort access fob is replaceable, yet they look almost exactly alike. For those with the rechargeable fob, anyone ever leave their spare on the shelf too long and have it discharged? It is supposed to be used for a reasonable trip every 6 months or so to keep it charged. Now that I think about it, I'll have to pull mine of the shelf for that too. I've got one of each system, which leads to some confusion with both fobs looking alike.
This is interesting. I thought for sure it mentions in the manual somewhere to insert the key in the ignition every once and awhile over a long trip to re-charge. Never noticed a difference b/tw CA vs non-CA, but will check to see what's correct for my CA key.

As for "re-setting" the key after a battery change, we can pretty much assume BS. It's amazing how little SOME dealership people know.

2011 335i M-Sport, BMW Performance Powerkit Version 1, BMW Performance Exhaust, 35% F1 Pinnacle Tint
Old 02-01-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk03 View Post
This is interesting. I thought for sure it mentions in the manual somewhere to insert the key in the ignition every once and awhile over a long trip to re-charge. Never noticed a difference b/tw CA vs non-CA, but will check to see what's correct for my CA key.
CA key is not rechargeable.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wihelm G View Post
You got a LOANER on a key fob battery replacement job???!!!!! They are grooming you to see them for the tiniest maintenance job when your warranty expires and then they'll stick it to you good!
Well, if they require leaving the car then I'd better get a loaner.

Honestly (and this is why the whole episode is making me want to talk to my CA and explain why they might lose me as a customer), it feels like there's all of this "Process" that their service people (or at least the one guy) want to follow that's overriding common sense; they're too set on the procedure of getting the car checked in to really want to interact in a meaningful way with me on the issue. I get that if there's an ACTUAL problem with the car a quick and easy process for getting the car into service is important, but I feel like we've swung the pendulum a bit too far in my case here...

Old 02-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
CA key is not rechargeable.
correct answer

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 02-01-2012, 05:56 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Maybe this will help:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1768230
Old 02-01-2012, 07:39 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
My salesman showed me how to change it when I got the car. Looks like regular one is rechargeable & the Comfort Assist unit is a replace & throw away so you can keep it in your pocket.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 02-01-2012, 09:06 PM

Okay, I know that the battery is replaceable, that wasn't the question.

Follow up: the service dept never got back to me this afternoon so I called them at 6pm and they still hadn't "diagnosed" the car. I told them I wanted it back anyway. The service manager got on with me and I told him I wanted it back so he switched the battery out and had it ready for me (icing on the cake: when I asked the cashier about it upon getting the key, she said "no, they didn't do anything to it" when the service manager HAD switched the battery). I then waited to talk to him and gave him a pretty good earful of everything I've had problems with about the service department: pretty much all of it in bad communication to me (including some bad miscommunication when I had the hard top repaired just after purchase). As far as this instance he (of course) said that he knew the battery didn't need to be re-initialized and that the guy must've misunderstood me. I told him word for word what his service guy said, what the people on the phone said and what I later discovered online. He said that they wanted to check to make sure nothing else was wrong with the car. I told him that if they had told me that up front it would have been one thing, but that to give me incorrect info (my exact words were "I don't want to say he lied to me, but he was wrong and said he knew for a fact that the key needed to be reinitialized") was inexcusable.

We'll see what happens: I will be riding them about this between now and the next time I need to have service. I'm also going to talk to my CA anyway just to make sure she's aware that her service department might cost her my next BMW purchase even though I was really happy with her handling of my ED order. They need to stop with the clown "miscommunications" before something serious happens. I know who I'm going to ask NOT to have for any future service visits though.

Thanks everyone here for confirming my suspicions.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:35 AM

Send a message via ICQ to groundeffect
Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Keys do not need to be re-initialized even if the main car battery is replaced.
I realize that. It just seemed to me when the dealer spoke of re-initialization, that he thought the OP was referring to the main battery. I thought perhaps it was a case of miscommunication. Apparently I was wrong.

(I just went throughout the reprogramming of a replacement car battery, and yes, it took almost 4 hours.)

Last edited by groundeffect; 02-02-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: car
Old 02-02-2012, 12:08 PM
08 328xit sport steptroni

Mein Auto: 2008 E91, Arktis Metallic
Just replaced my CA battery yesterday,Cr2032 $ 5.88 for two Duracells at Stapels. every thing works.. my vote is crap..
Old 02-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Combat Commuter

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk03 View Post

As for "re-setting" the key after a battery change, we can pretty much assume BS. It's amazing how little SOME dealership people know.
When going in for service, stick your key into the dash slot on the way. This will sync up the key fob with the car's CBS computer, so if the SA needs to read the car's maintenance details/requirements, the key will be updated to the car's current status.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:23 PM
humanum est errare

Mein Auto: which day is this?
Add me to the list of those who have self-replaced the battery in the CA fob and not had to reinitialize anything.

David

2004 e83 3.0, 2003.5 e46 M3 Cic, 2008 e9x 335xia, 2008 Sienna XLE Limted AWD
========================
Gone: 2006 B7 A4, 2003 Honda Pilot EX-L RES
Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: M3, 335GT
I did have a problem with a fob once. Needed to be reset -- simple procedure, insert into ignition and start the car. That resets it. I don't remember exactly what caused this, but I think it was some service procedure that had the main battery disconnected from the car. I assume it needed some kind of synchronization like a cordless phone after a power failure.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335i xDrive
I just replaced my a couple of weeks ago no problem. In fact at the dealership they told me to just switch the batteries between my two keys.