Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 05-04-2004, 05:01 PM
Waiting for the 135i!

Mein Auto: 550 Spyder
Question Imola Red Swirls?

Until last week, we had a black 2000 528iT. It was gorgeous, but living hell to keep clean and swirl free.

After ordering an Imola Red ZHP, I am beginning to wonder if I'm in for the same living hell.

What's the skinny guys? How does the finish hold up? Does it show swirls? Is it hard to keep clean?

I LOVE Titanium Silver, but there are too many of them here in SoCal. I figured if I'm getting a ZHP, might as well go all out and get a brash red one.

Please tell me it's gonna be ok.... Please?
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2004, 05:48 PM
I shift my own gears!

Send a message via AIM to edsmax
Mein Auto: Orient Blue 01 330i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan
Until last week, we had a black 2000 528iT. It was gorgeous, but living hell to keep clean and swirl free.

After ordering an Imola Red ZHP, I am beginning to wonder if I'm in for the same living hell.

What's the skinny guys? How does the finish hold up? Does it show swirls? Is it hard to keep clean?

I LOVE Titanium Silver, but there are too many of them here in SoCal. I figured if I'm getting a ZHP, might as well go all out and get a brash red one.

Please tell me it's gonna be ok.... Please?
Any color will swirl over time but the red should hide it better than black (or Orient Blue for that matter). I suggest always hand wash, dry with a 100% cotton made in usa towel and use Zaino Bros. #5 wax at least four times a year.

Ed
Old 05-04-2004, 07:29 PM
Waiting for the 135i!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsmax
Any color will swirl over time but the red should hide it better than black (or Orient Blue for that matter). I suggest always hand wash, dry with a 100% cotton made in usa towel and use Zaino Bros. #5 wax at least four times a year.

Ed
Anything is better than black, but red is actually a pretty dark color.

Any IR ZHP owners out there care to chime in?
Old 05-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 3x330,AMV8,996GT2
Quote:

Up close and in the sun, you may see some swirls if you don't take care of it...

You may want to drop by roadfly.com's detailing forums or even their m3 board since those people know their stuff
Old 05-04-2004, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
My car was redelivered after ED with a bad case of the swirlmarks. I immediately buffed them out and waxed the car. Now I have noticed that they are beginning to show up again. I think that we as a group (BMW owners) are more sensitive to this issue. It is still not as bad a trying take care of my black VW Corrado.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Oversized Rooster 4.4i

Mein Auto: '02 X5 4.4i
Quote:

Call me crazy, but I actually think that black doesn't accentuate dirt as much as Orient Blue. See when you see a black bimmer that is dirty and dusty - it's obvious what the thing is.

But if you have mud marks or dirt on an Orient Blue bimmer, you'd swear some of them are "scratches"...not to mention how odd they look since OB totally changes color in the sunlight. My car has more swirl marks and scratches than 3 members' cars combined!

Sunlight really does many of these colors serious injustice.

2002 BMW X5 4.4i - Titanium Silver, Grey Leather, Activity Package, Front+Rear PDC, Boomerang2 Recovery System, Lumbar Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Sunshades, Privacy Glass, 30% Front Tint
Old 05-04-2004, 11:24 PM
Estoril Blue Black Nappa

Mein Auto: 2005 M3
I had a 98 M Roadster in Imola Red and i didn't find it showed swirl marks very much.Its certaintly not as forgiving as white or silver, but it is still fairly easy to deal with. If the Imola Red is you first choice ,i would say to go with it.I think the color looks perfect with the ZHP package,it is very sporty.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to RChoudry
Mein Auto: 86 325es; 87 325iC; 06 M3
I zainoed mine a few weeks ago and presently it's free and clear of swirls. Much, much easier to maintain than my previous Jet Black.

-2006 Z4 M Roadster (Sapphire Black/imola red)...12/9/2006
-2006 M3 ZCP Interlagos blue/black via PCD 11/29/2005
-2004 330i ZHP Imola red/black alcantara CPO 1/2008
-1999 Audi A4 1.8tQ (Jaspis Green/Black)
-1986 325es (Zinnoberot red/Pearl)
Old 05-04-2004, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: 3x330,AMV8,996GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
My car was redelivered after ED with a bad case of the swirlmarks. I immediately buffed them out and waxed the car. Now I have noticed that they are beginning to show up again. I think that we as a group (BMW owners) are more sensitive to this issue. It is still not as bad a trying take care of my black VW Corrado.

Buff them by hand or with a Porter Cable?

Swirls appear from washing habits.. People swear by the two bucket method..
1 bucket to hold soap... second bucket for the rinse
dunk in soap, wash the car, rinse thoroughly in second, and repeat.. this way you dont reintroduce any contaminants back onto the paint as a result of particles grabbing your wash mitt.. assuming you are using a washing mitt

the popular solution now seems to be the porter cable and einzett polish bundle.. everything you need to buff out all those scratches and swirls
Old 05-04-2004, 11:49 PM
Waiting for the 135i!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutme
Swirls appear from washing habits.. People swear by the two bucket method..
1 bucket to hold soap... second bucket for the rinse
dunk in soap, wash the car, rinse thoroughly in second, and repeat.. this way you dont reintroduce any contaminants back onto the paint as a result of particles grabbing your wash mitt.. assuming you are using a washing mitt
As much as this is a common sense solution, it never dawned on me.

GREAT advice. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2004, 10:37 AM
I hate door dings

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
at least 50% of the swirl can be avoided if you don't use the dealers courtesy car wash on each service.

2004 325Ci, TiAg, Step, No SP, No PP, No mods, no upgrades.