Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus ES 350
Paddle shifter return to D?

Query, please:

According to the manual, after using the paddle shifter to shift (with the shift knob left in D), you can return to D by either holding the right paddle shifter for a few seconds or holding the right paddle shifter briefly and pulling the left paddle shifter. However, neither of these seem to do so in my 2015 GC.

While it will occasionally return to D after a bit on its own (though I can't say I completely understand the circumstances), I can't make it go back to D on demand unless I flick the shift knob from D to M and then back again. (I have no idea how good or bad that is for the transmission, hence why I am posting this.)

Any idea on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
M
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2014, 02:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSTEWARTESQ View Post
While it will occasionally return to D after a bit on its own (though I can't say I completely understand the circumstances
If the shift paddles on the steering wheel are
used to shift gears in automatic mode, the transmission
temporarily switches to manual mode.

If the shift paddles are not used and the vehicle
is not accelerated for a certain time, the system
switches back into automatic mode if the selector
lever is in transmission position D.

I don't know of anyway to force the transmission back into D if it's temporarily in manual mode, sorry.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:57 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
(I have no idea how good or bad that is for the transmission, hence why I am posting this.)

Any idea on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
M
the shifter is purely an electrical control, you cant do anything harmful to the transmission. moving the lever simply tells the TCU what mode you want to be in, it wont do anything harmful, just like it wont let you shift into first gear at 60mph no matter how many time you hit the downshift paddle
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 11-20-2014, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
This would be a nice feature to have - as far as I can tell its just a fixed delay since the last time you either used the kick down function or changed gears manually.

Why not simultaneously pull both paddles to signal you want to return to drive. Dont know when else you would ever pull them both at the same time to do anything practical

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers)
Old 11-20-2014, 03:45 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 2015 M4 Convertible
I believe if the car is in temporary manual mode if you pull the shift lever left and then right it will return to D

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 11-20-2014, 03:48 PM

Thank you all for your replies.

However, I am a bit confused about something, as it seems to me that several of you are saying there is no way to shift back to D manually using the shift paddles. I assume and will feel foolish if I am wrong here that when the manual speaks of "switching back to the automatic mode", it is referring to switching back to D.

Because page 75 of my manual states "if the selector lever is still in selector lever position D, it is possible to switch back into the automatic mode:

1. Pull and hold right shift paddle.

Or

2. In addition to the briefly hold right shift paddle, briefly pull the left shift paddle."

Neither of those seems to have any effect in my car. Again, if I am misunderstanding and confusing D with the automatic mode, which may mean something different, then my apologies for the silly question.

M
Old 11-20-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I believe if the car is in temporary manual mode if you pull the shift lever left and then right it will return to D
Will try that, thanks.

M
Old 11-20-2014, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
This works - hope BMW would have something a little more slick though.

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies.

However, I am a bit confused about something, as it seems to me that several of you are saying there is no way to shift back to D manually using the shift paddles. I assume and will feel foolish if I am wrong here that when the manual speaks of "switching back to the automatic mode", it is referring to switching back to D.

Because page 75 of my manual states "if the selector lever is still in selector lever position D, it is possible to switch back into the automatic mode:

1. Pull and hold right shift paddle.

Or

2. In addition to the briefly hold right shift paddle, briefly pull the left shift paddle."

Neither of those seems to have any effect in my car. Again, if I am misunderstanding and confusing D with the automatic mode, which may mean something different, then my apologies for the silly question.

M
I tried both of these tonight and neither worked

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers)
Old 11-24-2014, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 428xi
I don't know if this is the right way, but on my 2014 428xi...

If I shifted with the paddles and want to go back to D, I pull the stick shifter left (to M/S), and the push it back right (quickly). It will go back to D and shift into whatever gear it would normally be when not in manual mode.

It would be nice to be able to go back to D using the paddles though.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 428i GC
My dealer says the manual is wrong.

I have that exact same issue - cant go back to auto by pulling the + paddle.

I took the car in for service, and was told they never heard of that feature (and made it look like I'm crazy while at it).
I showed the on-board manual to the service rep, stating clearly what was quoted above. He took a picture of my screen on his cell and told me he'll check with the manufacturer.
he called me back a few hours later saying that the manual is wrong and my car doesn't have that feature. When I pushed he said "some" 428i models have it, and my on-board manual will be updated in the next service cycle.

Very annoying IMO. My wife's MB has that feature (although its paddle shifting is horrible) , my friends VW has that feature, but my BMW doesn't, although it's in the user's manual.

This is a very useful feature IMO. I like breaking by down-shift, and would like to go back to auto for the acceleration. I think the car does a better job at that than I do in timing the shifts. (at sport mode). You can't leave it to down shift for breaking, because it just coasts...
Using the stick does the trick, but is less elegant IMO.

I'm curious which models do support this.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 435 GC
My VW GTI could do this lol
Old 01-27-2015, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: M3, 335GT
In my car (2014 335GT) after using the paddles, it shifts back to automatic (D) after a few seconds of light acceleration. Here's what I think is happening: if your foot is off the accelerator, the car assumes you're coasting, or since you've manually shifted, perhaps for a downgrade, or waiting to accelerate. If you're accelerating moderately or full throttle then it stays in manual. So a constant light touch on the accelerator for a few seconds puts the car to back to full automatic. A few loaners I've driven behave the same way.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebloom View Post
In my car (2014 335GT) after using the paddles, it shifts back to automatic (D) after a few seconds of light acceleration.

I don't think anybody is disputing that. What they seem to be wondering is why the paddles do not force the transmission back into D with driver input, as opposed to doing so automatically after a certain interval. From what I gather, the iDrive owner's manual in the OP's car suggests pulling/holding on the shifters in a certain sequence/or for a given interval should force the tranny back into D, but it does not do that. I have never read the owner's manual in my car's iDrive, so this is all news to me.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:45 AM
Road or Beach

Mein Auto: 2015 428i conv
Don't have my 4 yet but in my Z4 if you have the gear select moved to sport and use the paddles it stays in manual mode until you switch out of sport (not to be confused with the sport switch setting). If you use the paddles while in normal Drive mode it will default back to drive if you stop using the paddles. To my knowledge there is no method to use the paddles to toggle this
Old 01-27-2015, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F31 M-Sport GS/BLK
I usually just wait the 10-15 seconds without paddle shifting and it returns to Auto mode. Not a big deal.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
Are you also in Comfort mode? Mine will revert to D in that instance.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 435 Gran Coupe
here's how I see it....

When the transmission is in normal automatic setting (gear lever in the default right-side position) .... you can use the paddles, but when you don't shift for a 10-ish second period of time ... it reverts back to normal auto.

no big deal. you're not really in spirited driving mode, or else you would've tossed the shifter over to the left .. which is SPORT mode.

SPORT auto mode is where the problem is. When you're driving using the paddles in sport auto mode ... the only way to disable the paddles and remain in SPORT auto is to flip the gear lever to the right (to disable the paddles) and then back to the left (to reactivate SPORT auto mode).

It's not a HUGE deal, but it is annoying and clumsy. You should be able to switch from paddles to SPORT auto mode without either hand leaving the wheel. Sometimes traffic or the nature of the road causes the driver to want a switch and this is a clumsy process.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:29 PM

Finally an answer from the "Geniuses"

After more than a month, I finally heard back from the "geniuses" (dumb choice of name for support people IMO).
Apparently the feature we were looking for is only available in Europe. Ugh,
Old 03-25-2015, 02:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJice View Post
After more than a month, I finally heard back from the "geniuses" (dumb choice of name for support people IMO).
If that's the case, it might be something that can be turned on via coding.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:02 AM

Maybe, but maybe it's a different gear box altogether

Does anyone know?
Old 06-24-2015, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F10 525d
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJice View Post
it is not working even on European cars - I can't switch my 7 days old pre-LCI F31 with sport transmission back to automatic mode by holding the paddles or pressing them simultaneously...
According to the latest user manual in my language (Slovak) this should work, but it doesn't. The only way how to go back to automatic mode is to flip the gear selector to M/S and then back to D.