Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 02-04-2012, 10:01 PM
VA makes me miss WA

Mein Auto: 2001 ///M5
Question for the (convertible) experts

From a potential convert:

It may be time to shed my E39, and the E36 M3 vert is on the short list of replacements. It's going against the E46 M3 and E39 M5 but that's not really here or there.

So the hang up that my co-car nerd friends and I have is the rear windows on the convertibles. Having never owned a ragtop, with these being plastic (or whatever), when they get that hazy/opaque thing going on, how big of an issue will this be?

Is it frequent, do you typically replace them? Basically, how much should this factor into my wallet/decision? My bro-in law is a big supporter, but he's only had hard tops, I'm just looking for input from guys who own em.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2012, 05:20 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
The rear plastic window will last forever if taken care of. Or as is the case with many owners lose all transmissivity in a couple years. Original BMW rear plastic windows are zipped in. That is a clue, even BMW knows that owners will abuse the top and it will yellow and be opaque. This is their solution, buy another rear window, unzip the old one put the new one in and be happy. Now many owners don't do this because they take it to a uphlostery shop and those guys usually will say hey I can just cut the old one out and sew a new one in for XXX bucks, problem solved. Problem is that now you are totally stuck with a rear window that once wears out cannot be fixed and only replacing the top will fix that.
Most replacement tops like mine has a plastic window which is not zip in. In fact only BMW sells the top with a zip in rear window.
Here is the good news, if you care for the top by cleaning it with water and very mild soap, wax the rear window (it is after all plastic) it will retain its function. Also the best way to protect the rear plastic window is to put a pillow case or towel between the plastic window folds so it doesn't rub and cause the issues you see all the time.

I have an king size pillow case in my trunk and just stop the top when folding and lay the pillow case between the folds and it protects it well.

This is the deal on the rear window.
One last point there are after market zip in window manufactures like a vendor that sells them for miata's. You can search the forums here and elsewhere to locate that vendor.
Frankly the rear window will last indefinately if kept clean, waxed and stored correctly...
Old 02-05-2012, 07:59 PM
VA makes me miss WA

Mein Auto: 2001 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
The rear plastic window will last forever if taken care of. Or as is the case with many owners lose all transmissivity in a couple years. Original BMW rear plastic windows are zipped in. That is a clue, even BMW knows that owners will abuse the top and it will yellow and be opaque. This is their solution, buy another rear window, unzip the old one put the new one in and be happy. Now many owners don't do this because they take it to a uphlostery shop and those guys usually will say hey I can just cut the old one out and sew a new one in for XXX bucks, problem solved. Problem is that now you are totally stuck with a rear window that once wears out cannot be fixed and only replacing the top will fix that.
Most replacement tops like mine has a plastic window which is not zip in. In fact only BMW sells the top with a zip in rear window.
Here is the good news, if you care for the top by cleaning it with water and very mild soap, wax the rear window (it is after all plastic) it will retain its function. Also the best way to protect the rear plastic window is to put a pillow case or towel between the plastic window folds so it doesn't rub and cause the issues you see all the time.

I have an king size pillow case in my trunk and just stop the top when folding and lay the pillow case between the folds and it protects it well.

This is the deal on the rear window.
One last point there are after market zip in window manufactures like a vendor that sells them for miata's. You can search the forums here and elsewhere to locate that vendor.
Frankly the rear window will last indefinately if kept clean, waxed and stored correctly...
You sir, have given me exactly what I was looking for. I would high five you right now if I could.

Thank you
Old 02-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 99 M3
At 12 years old, my factory back window has actually outlasted the rest of the soft top which is getting replaced this summer.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:33 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
There are plastic treatments that help restore and maintain plastic rear windows. Mequiars is what I use.

Keeping the car garaged (sun off the rear window helps a lot).

The other issue is that they can crack where they fold when the top is down. In the Z3 world, there is a blanket that you put over the window before putting the top down that prevents the sharp fold and pads the rear window to prevent the two parts from rubbing (scratching) each other.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 02-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
I replaced mine on both my E36 verts as one of the first things I did when acquiring the cars. The stock oem window gets hazy over time (10 years or so). I replaced with one from emiata with expected lifetime of 5 years. The emiata ones are about $130 vs OEM $400+. Having gained much experience on the first install (which took about an hour) the second time on my M3 took about 15 minutes.

The only real drawback I can see regarding the top is the fact that since it does fold the window, you don't want to lower/raise the top when it is too cold. The OEM window is notorious for cracking when it is low temp, but the emiata one is only slightly better. If you want to quickly and reliably use the top when it is colder than 50F, go for the E46 M3, which has a solid glass window that doesn't fold. Then you can go topless in much colder weather.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 02-12-2012, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 99 328i Conv, 97 318i Sdn
Has anyone ever heard of a glass window retrofit in an E36?
Any real reason it couldn't be done?

How is the E46 top different to accommodate the glass version?
Seems like there would be a market.

Bob Huber
99 328i Convertible
97 3318i Sedan
Old 02-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
They fold completely differently. I figure it would be too cost prohibitive to do something like this.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 02-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Convertible
I've owned two M3 E36 verts and never had problems with the rear window but if you did as somebody else said you can zipper a new window in without much trouble. A glass retro fit won't work because of the way the top goes up and down and is stowed. They changed that system to accommodate the inflexible glass.