Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW z3
Z3 Rear window

I took my rear wind protector out and cleaned it up then i went to put it back in today, and dropped the top on the BMW and my rear window shattered. I wonder if it was my fault. maybe it was just because it was old and its cold outside. But here is the ****ty thing. I had to order a new one and i need it shipped within 2 days because i am shipping the car to my next duty station in 3 days. So i had to pay 70$ for shipping . $333 later

So now for my question. Ive got a new one. I found a DIY on replacing it, But im curious how do i keep the new one clean and looking pretty for a long time from now.

I have one of those rear window covers. Im thinking every time i go convertible i need to put that on it. What else can i do? carry a rag and some cleaner around with me to clean it every so often? what chemical do you guys use? Also when i wash the car is it bad to spray it with a power washer? or use soapy water and a sponge? Any info is appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2012, 07:43 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Clean it often with clean water. I use Mequiars products to polish/clean the plastic every so often.

Use the blanket any time the top will be down for a while. And don't fold the top when it is very cold (as you found out).

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
And don't fold the top when it is very cold (as you found out).
Yeah i sure did find out. thats ok the old one was UGLY.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 98 MZ3
Had my original 1998 rear window in nice shape till this last summer, when the black trim surround disintigrated. Anyway, when washing the car, rinse and soap the rear window first, then rinse off. Should be the first thing you dry with your clean towel as well.

For routine cleaning, I've had good luck with Meguiers No 18 spray plastic cleaner (use No 17 and No 10 if you're really hardcore) and I hear Plexus works well also.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the info. Should have the window tomorrow.