Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
BMW adds solar power to Spartanburg Factor's long list of green tech

tim330i
Administrator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by tim330i

BMW adds solar power to Spartanburg factory

BMW Manufacturing has completed the installation and commissioning of solar panels that are providing solar energy to fully power the 24,000 square foot Zentrum Museum, the plant’s heritage museum and visitors center. In addition to the new solar panels, the plant also installed three new electric vehicle charging stations throughout the main facility.

“Adding a new, alternative energy platform to our energy portfolio is another step in our commitment to sustainable methods of generating power at our factory,” said Duncan Seaman, Department Manager, Market Operations USA & Canada. “It is the perfect complement to our existing landfill gas-to-energy and hydrogen fuel cell program and offsets the fossil fuel requirements otherwise needed to run our facility.”

Installation of 400 solar modules, each capable of producing 240 watts of energy, now provides power to the Zentrum Museum, as well as, the new electric vehicle (EV) charging stations. The solar panels, completed in partnership with Southern Energy Management, were installed in front of the Zentrum Museum parallel to Interstate 85. BMW invested $500,000 in this installation. Southern Energy Management is headquartered in Morrisville, NC with a regional office in Greenville, South Carolina. SunStore Solar also served as a consultant to BMW on this project.

Since 2003, methane gas has been collected, cleaned and compressed from a local landfill and used to power more than 50% of the BMW plant’s total energy requirements. In 2009, the company invested $12 million in its landfill gas program to further improve overall efficiency. Implementation of the program has reduced CO2 emissions by about 92,000 tons per year and saves about $5 million annually in energy costs. More recently, the company announced the addition of a hydrogen storage and distribution center within their on-site 11 Megawatt Energy Center to facilitate on-site fueling of a hydrogen-fuel cell material handling fleet inside the 1.2 million square foot assembly plant that completes final assembly of the BMW X3 Sports Activity Vehicle.
This article has been viewed 2987 times.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:54 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Mazeltov to BMW. Great example to commercial ventures all over the world.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:46 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Mazeltov to BMW. Great example to commercial ventures all over the world.
I see that I'm the only one on this forum that feels this way. Too bad for the country and the planet. I won't be here that much longer, but I would hope that some of you younger folks would see the handwriting on the wall and smell the coffee..
Old 02-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2008 328i
interesting stuff..