Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8i, 2010
Rusty brakes ...

hi guys,

I just got my X5 4.8i 2010 (sport package, wide tires, ... all included) , pretty darn happy.
The only concern that I have are the brakes. They are pretty rusty. See the attached images (especially #1). I was at the dealer ship and they say that's normal. This doesn't look normal to me at all
Well anyway, I think dealer won't replace them on maintenance plan anyway, so I thought to replace myself. What do you recommend?
How do you actually call the rusty part from picture 1? I tried to find here http://www.koperformance.com/BMW/brakes/index.htm but didn't find anything similar to that part.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beark-pads1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	311407   Click image for larger version

Name:	beark-pads2.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	311408  
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
What was the previous owner doing- driving it through saltwater???

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 02-07-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me530 View Post
What was the previous owner doing- driving it through saltwater???
No idea, but I bought it from a Californian dealer
Old 02-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e70, e36, e90, e46iT, 6.0
it appears to be the backing plates on the pads that are rusty. but picture #1 seems odd as the caliper itself seems to be rusted. pull the wheels and take a wire brush to the caliper.

quite possibly someone used something caustic to clean the brake dust off the wheels and it has pitted the calipers. obsessive behavior generally has a negative effect on something. my wheels are dirty, but my calipers ain't rusty.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:15 PM

guys, what online store do you recommend to buy some calipers and rotors for my X5? And what brand shall I look?
Thx
Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 PM
California Über Alles

Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
That's pretty nasty looking stuff, but it could just be cosmetic. That is very unusual to see the caliper so rusty on a two year old car. If the calipers are working ok, give it a good wire brushing, clean it up with brake clean, mask off the other parts and the wheel well and spray it with some caliper paint. Do the same with the rotors-- remove them, clean off the rust and then paint with a good high heat resistant paint. I would check the caliper piston and the brake pad backing plates to see just how much rust crept into everything. Maybe this was a car that was parked near a beach for a long time?

If you decide to get new calipers and rotors, board sponsor tirerack has the rotors at least.

Your model is too new for there to be too many aftermarket calipers around (except for big brake conversions like Brembo) so you may have to get OEM. All the regular places are good, Tischer, ECS Tuning, etc.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldmystang View Post
it appears to be the backing plates on the pads that are rusty. but picture #1 seems odd as the caliper itself seems to be rusted. pull the wheels and take a wire brush to the caliper.

quite possibly someone used something caustic to clean the brake dust off the wheels and it has pitted the calipers. obsessive behavior generally has a negative effect on something. my wheels are dirty, but my calipers ain't rusty.

Agreed, it looks like someone used etching/caustic cleaner that damaged the calipers/pad/rotor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHolms View Post
guys, what online store do you recommend to buy some calipers and rotors for my X5? And what brand shall I look?
Thx
Really??? You want to spend $3000 to fix this????

By OE parts (ie BMW rotors, BMW calipers and BMW pads) you can consider aftermarket pads and rotors, but don't mess with the calipers.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Could this one have been in a "storm surge" or was beach driving and gotten salt water over the wheels? Put it on a rack and see how much other rust you find besides the calipers. If nothing more, then the wire brush and high temp paint would make a much nicer appearance if that is important for you. $3K for a total brake caliper replacemet (unless you are getting Brembos) makes no sense at all as long as the brakes are working fine. If they are not, then your maintentance plan/CPO should cover the replacement. I would be asking the Service Center to check where this car came from and what repair was done on it before you got it.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Get Coded

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i
My calipers and hub faces were rusty when I purchased my CPO '08 (from socal). My local dealer tried to clean off the rust, but only got about 50% of it. In the Spring, I'll take off the wheels for lowering springs. At that time, I'll try some CLR with a wire brush, then possibly some hi-temp engine enamel to prevent future rust.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
It's not unusual to find rust, as if I let a vehicle sit for a week or two, and it rains/is humid, the braks are often rusty and noise for the first few applications.

That said, the rusting appears excessive. Since it was a CA vehicle, I wonder if it was owned by someone who lived near the beach and/or drove it on the beach a lot. I know motorcycles parked near the ocean often have much more rust after a couple of years due to the salt and humidity in the air.

P.S. If you do a web search, there are many caliper painting kits available.

http://www.google.com/search?q=brake...w=1760&bih=907

Last edited by Penguin; 02-08-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
It's not unusual to find rust, as if I let a vehicle sit for a week or two, and it rains/is humid, the braks are often rusty and noise for the first few applications.

That said, the rusting appears excessive. Since it was a CA vehicle, I wonder if it was owned by someone who lived near the beach and/or drove it on the beach a lot. I know motorcycles parked near the ocean often have much more rust after a couple of years due to the salt and humidity in the air.

P.S. If you do a web search, there are many caliper painting kits available.

http://www.google.com/search?q=brake...w=1760&bih=907
Its not unusual for rotors to rust, as they are freshly surfaced metal exposed to water/oxygen. Calipers on the other hand are cast (aluminum or iron) and are painted to protect them from rust, they should not look like that under normal circumstances.

I agree with the above posts that either someone used a very abrasive cleaner on it, or like you said, way too much salt water.

Jay
Old 02-08-2012, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
I agree with the above posts that either someone used a very abrasive cleaner on it, or like you said, way too much salt water.

Jay
I agree, good chance of both.

Sometimes there's a bad paint-prep on the caliper and the paint peels-off, but the pattern in the one picture shows the paint missing suspiciously from the areas what would be impacted the most if someone used a wire brush or something with an inappropriately aggressive cleaner. (including what are likely steel clips and bits that were likely galvanized or plated with something else for protection).
Old 02-08-2012, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5d
Look at the carfax see where the car was first registered at,maybe was a car in a area with alot of snow.
that does seem to be excessive.