Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 06-14-2014, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 750 Li
Brake pad replacement

Hello all. New 2 the forum and new as a BMW owner. Just bought a 2009 750 Li with 80,000 miles on it 4 days ago. I really like the car. Glad I bought it (hopefully this will not change as I have heard the horror stories of buyers remorse). However, very frustrated. Yesterday I had an unexpected trip out 2 LA. On the way back caught hella traffic. Constant starting and stopping. All of sudden the brake alert comes on. "Drive moderately, change brake pads, take to service center"(paraphrasing alert message). Bought the car from a non-BMW Dealership who I think got it @ auction. I think the car is in good condition because previously I called my local (Riverside, CA) BMW dealership 2 price an extended warranty. Giving them the VIN they were able 2 tell that their had only been one owner who had religiously/constantly brought the car n2 BMW for scheduled and routine maintenance. In their words the car has an "impeccable" service record with them. However I still needed to bring the car n with them 2 c what future scheduled maintenance would b needed. This was prior 2 the brake alert. I KNOW THIS CAR IS A LUXURY VEHICLE AND COSTS A LOT TO MAINTAIN so save the sarcasm, but I'm always looking 4 smarter way 2 do something as opposed 2 an ignorant way. So wanted 2 know which options are the most cost effective and feasible.
Option1: Take it 2 BMW who will charge an arm an a leg for diagnostic and brake pad and rotor placement.
Option2: Take the car 2 an experienced BMW 2nd party mechanic shop and have them service it. (which I have no idea of where 1 is n Southern California)
Option3: Buy the pads and possibly the rotors myself and have some1 put them on or DIY it (I have absolutely know mechanical experience, so least feasible 4 me 2,do it).
Suggestions please? Cost?
So b gentle u guys/gals cuz this is my 1st time.
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dareall13 View Post
Hello all. New 2 the forum and new as a BMW owner. Just bought a 2009 750 Li with 80,000 miles on it 4 days ago. I really like the car. Glad I bought it (hopefully this will not change as I have heard the horror stories of buyers remorse). However, very frustrated. Yesterday I had an unexpected trip out 2 LA. On the way back caught hella traffic. Constant starting and stopping. All of sudden the brake alert comes on. "Drive moderately, change brake pads, take to service center"(paraphrasing alert message). Bought the car from a non-BMW Dealership who I think got it @ auction. I think the car is in good condition because previously I called my local (Riverside, CA) BMW dealership 2 price an extended warranty. Giving them the VIN they were able 2 tell that their had only been one owner who had religiously/constantly brought the car n2 BMW for scheduled and routine maintenance. In their words the car has an "impeccable" service record with them. However I still needed to bring the car n with them 2 c what future scheduled maintenance would b needed. This was prior 2 the brake alert. I KNOW THIS CAR IS A LUXURY VEHICLE AND COSTS A LOT TO MAINTAIN so save the sarcasm, but I'm always looking 4 smarter way 2 do something as opposed 2 an ignorant way. So wanted 2 know which options are the most cost effective and feasible.

Option1: Take it 2 BMW who will charge an arm an a leg for diagnostic and brake pad and rotor placement.

Option2: Take the car 2 an experienced BMW 2nd party mechanic shop and have them service it. (which I have no idea of where 1 is n Southern California)

Option3: Buy the pads and possibly the rotors myself and have some1 put them on or DIY it (I have absolutely know mechanical experience, so least feasible 4 me 2,do it).

Suggestions please? Cost?

So b gentle u guys/gals cuz this is my 1st time.

I would do option 2 for you since you have no mechanical experience as you say. Don't want to mess with brakes as they are very important. Buy Akebono pads and sensors from Amazon, FCPeuro, or tirerack whichever is cheapest. Have independent dealer do the labor. Parts will be less than $400.00. Expect about $250 for labor.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-14-2014, 09:58 PM

Tx 4 the reply. Is it a must to get rotors replaced as well? I heard when u get the breaks done u should get the rotors done as well. But if it's not necessary than I'm good.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:06 PM

Also MrLXI2010 sent this link from tirerack.com and I thought the prices were exceptional.
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...9&autoModClar=
Old 06-15-2014, 06:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
I checked and Tirerack is cheapest for pads. At 80k I would replace the rotors too. Feel the rotor surface. If there is a ridge on the very outside lip then your rotors are worn and are getting too thin. TheBmwPartsStore will be cheapest for new rotors. Looking at about $670.00 for those. You will need a front left sensor and a right rear sensor too. Sensors are around $25 each. That's all you need.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1402834692.719563.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	445923

Old 06-15-2014, 08:52 AM

Tx so much. So $670.00 plus the 2 $25.00 sensors. So that's $720.00 + labor. 1 more question. This $720.00 is inclusive of the brake pads or not inclusive of those.