Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 06-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
Alpina B7 supercharger chirping/pulley wobble - clutch/bearings

Car: 2007 Alpina B7 / 70k miles
Relevant history: Centrifugal clutch on supercharger replaced around 26k miles several years ago.

Symptoms:
Since I bought car a week ago there has been a metal-on-metal chirping. It has gotten more frequent with each day, then a few mornings ago it sounded HORRIBLE, like an index card in your bicycle spokes. I pulled off a small cover and saw the supercharger pulley wobbling in time with the chirps and clangs.

So, I started pulling it apart. Pictures and descriptions are in the link below, but I'll describe a little bit here, too.

Normal centrifugal clutch operation: (a more comprehensive training document on the Alpina B7 can be found on BMWTIS.com / BmwTechInfo.com)
The belt-driven pulley is bound to the inside portion of the supercharger's clutching mechanism, which can be best described as drum brakes where the outside belt-driven pulley acts like an axle or wheel, which normally spins freely. Once the pulley spins up to about 1,100 rpm, the centrifugal force begins to push the clutch shoes out against the "drum", beginning to lock them together. This inner "drum" is what actually spins the supercharger.

Problems that I've seen so far:
In my pictures you can see that while the centrifugal clutch shoes have plenty of life left on them, a ball bearing and spring have come out of place. These normally help keep proper spacing between the metal pulleys, plates, and clutching components. In addition, there is an inner bearing or spacer that the pulley and clutch assembly rotate on. This bearing was fairly stiff when attempting to wiggle at any angle but one. The bearing wiggle at this one sloppy angle definitely caused the scoring seen in the various pulleys and plates.

Resolution / fix:
I ordered some sort of unlisted supercharger / radial compressor clutch rebuild kit from a local dealer, part number 11-6-57-973-081, for around $952 after taxes. They did not have any diagrams for this, so they could not confirm that it had the parts I needed, but they believed this to be what I needed and got the part number from the supercharger clutch recall repair previously done at 26k miles. I will post more pictures and info about this once the kit comes in.

Kit came in and DID include all parts needed. Used gear-puller tool included in kit to pull clutch/bearing off and press the new assembly back on...process was fairly smooth.

Time required:
Took one evening going very slowly and taking lots of pictures.

See pictures, videos, basic steps, descriptions --> here.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...

Last edited by Keif; 06-09-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Master Tinkerer

Labeling / descriptions on pictures and videos complete. Supercharger working perfectly now.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...

Last edited by Keif; 06-08-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to lendog15
Mein Auto: 2007 750Li
I love reading posts like this. Not that I would even ATTEMPT to do something THIS detailed but I guess I'm a sucker for happy endings when it comes to an issue most would chalk up to "NEVER TRYING THIS DIY DEAL..." which is sort of me.

Thanks for posting.

-lendog
Old 07-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Yup.

Mein Auto: Cars
Very well done, Keif - this just happened to my B7, almost at identical mileage and with the same issues. Fortunately warranty is replacing the entire supercharger, but great to know that a full replacement is not always necessary in the future. Very nice detailed step-by-step pics and vids!

Maserati GT 4.2
Range Rover 4.4
Dodge Ram 1500

PAST: ALPINA B7, e63, e39, e39, e36
Old 07-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Master Tinkerer

Gracias! =]

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7

Old 01-13-2014, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: B7 Alpina
Having the same issue.

Keif, where did you order the kit from? I am thinking of doing the same thing.

Is it a difficult process?

Fieldy
Old 04-21-2014, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 650i
Hey Keif,

Were you able to figure out why there was oil in the intake of Supercharger?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: e30
Hey Keif, could you please provide map for this supercharger. We are going to install it to m50 engine and need this for calculation. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:40 AM

Mein Auto: Alpina B5 -05
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadasaab View Post
Hey Keif,

Were you able to figure out why there was oil in the intake of Supercharger?
Crankcase ventilation.

Nice description!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Alpina B5 #001
Old 06-12-2014, 04:34 AM
In Heaven

Mein Auto: 2008 535i-2011 B7 Alpina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keif View Post
Gracias! =]
Keif, glad to hear you sorted this out... Nice work!. No issues on mine yet...

Where are you located in Houston? Let's get together once after work... Bayou City and I go once a while enjoy some refreshments after work at Nextdoor Cafe on Memorial west...

Mr. 29,000th...
2011 B7 Alpina- Dinan Stage 1 -573HP/644lb-ft -Wife car...
2008 535i - daily driver with 2014 chevy
2008 335i - lease - returned
2007 750li - retired
2004 545i - retired
1982 320i - retired