Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 07-11-2013, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: E66 750Li
***DIY Front Brake Pad Replacement Facelift E65/E66***

Hi,

Replaced my front brake pads and brake pad sensor today so I thought I might put the pics of how to remove and install them.

Never work under a vehicle supported on any type of jack but only a certified vehicle stand and repair or replace these parts below at your own risk, I am a qualified mechanic myself so if you are unsure with this task ask for assistance or pay someone else to do this for you, brake repairs are not something that should be treated lightly.

Brake Pads part number

Raise vehicle and place on stand and remove wheel

As you can see my brake pads were well over due to be replaced

Using an 18mm ring spanner remove both the brake calliper mounting bolts from the strut tower and disconnect the brake pad wear sensor white connector and remove from the brake pad

With both mounting bolts removed using a large flat blade screw driver pry off the brake calliper away from the brake rotor

With the calliper removed pry out both brake pads, anti rattle clip and the brake pad slide cradle

With all those components removed reinstall your piston side brake pad, now is a good time to check your brake fluid level as when you compress the piston back your brake fluid reservoir could overflow causing paint damage to your engine bay, remove brake fluid as required and monitor, now continue using a large p-clamp compress the piston back into the bore carefully until piston is fully compressed into brake calliper housing

Once you have completed that reinstall the brake pad slide cradle, apply brake pad paste to the steel backs of both new brake pads to help prevent them from rattling, you can see that the non piston side brake pad does not come with locating tangs now as compared to the original worn ones removed, this is now standard and will speed up the brake pad replacements in future, now insert the piston side brake pad first then the non piston side brake pad

Now insert the anti rattle clip into the centre of the brake calliper and using the large flat blade screw driver carefully place the tip under the anti rattle clip and coach both sides to snap back into position and then check both realign with their original markings

Install new brake pad wear sensor into brake pad

Using a 18mm ring spanner reattach the brake calliper to the strut tower tightly and refit the wheel and remove vehicle off stand, Do not start engine but push the brake pedal in car to the floor several times to allow the brake calliper pistons to push out of their bore back into their braking position, check brake fluid reservoir once more to check fluid is at the correct MAX level, add more if required if you removed to much previously

To reset your IDrive computer for the front brake pad replacement insert the keyfob into dash and press ignition but do not start engine, apply pressure to the speedo reset button for about 5 seconds then release when there is text in the speed cluster area, push the same button briefly until you scroll down the list until you read FR.Brake, again apply pressure to the button for about 5 seconds until you see text in the RPM cluster area confirming to reset the count. I did mine previously to taking the picture but you can clearly see the process

Enjoy

Last edited by wog boy; 07-11-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 750i, 68 Camaro
Great writeup!! Im gonna tackle this job this weekend.