Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 05-05-2004, 03:12 PM
In Mod Heaven

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci
330Ci Borla Exhaust Installed + Pics/Review

I received my Borla Exhaust for my 330Ci on Friday afternoon and immediately went to my buddies garage to do the install on his lift (thanks Joe!). The install itself was pretty straight-forward. The most difficult thing was getting the stock nuts off of the down-pipe from the cat. They were rusted like a son of a b!tch and took some extra umph to get them off.

The only issue I had was after getting the exhaust in place and dropping the car off the lift, there was an annoying rattle that was happening at only certain rpm's. My friend and I didn't have time that night to get it back up so I had to wait until Sunday to trouble-shoot the issue.

It turned out that there are two cross-bars near the back of the car; one braces the exhaust and has two rubber grommets and the other is probably there for additional support. The one closest to the engine (not braced to the exhaust) had about 2 mm of clearance. When the car was running, the exhaust would vibrate and hit the cross-bar. We had to add 3 washers to each of the 4 bolts to allow for additional clearance. After this, there were no more rattles.

This might have just have been an issue with the exhaust I had, since I have not heard of any real fitment issues with Borla Exhausts.

Now for the results:

Sound

1. Idle:

a. The exhaust accentuates the sound of the engine. Start up the car and there is a noticeable difference over stock. The exhaust has a much deeper sound to it and burbles really nicely at idle.

2. WOT:

a. Man does this thing sound good when going wot. You no longer only hear the engine. Now there is a beautiful deep bass note coming from the rear of the car. Let off the gas and you can hear the burbles as the engine starts to rev slower.

3. Cruising:

a. I was concerned that while cruising around town or on the highway that there would be a constant droning. I can happily say there is none whatsoever. While cruising around, the exhaust sounds only slightly louder than stock; depress the gas pedal and you’ll get that sweet deep engine sound.

b. With the windows down, the sound is much better than if you’re cruising around with everything closed up. The bass note seems deeper with the windows down.

Butt-Dyno

1. The car does feel slightly quicker. My also car has the shark injector and an ECIS CAI. Gas mileage has actually improved a few tenths of a mpg (since Saturday) and my guess is that it will yield at least an extra MPG due to the fact that the car is breathing better.

a. I will probably get reduced gas mileage though since I find myself mashing the gas pedal more than normal just to hear the engine. :LMAO:

Fit/Finish

1. I really like the way the exhaust looks on the car. The polished tips with “BORLA” stamped into them show up really well. The car isn’t clean right now so I will have to wait to post pics from this angle.

2. Other than the original fitment issue stated above, the general fit is actually pretty damn good.

I am very happy with this install and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an exhaust that accents the car’s already amazing sound and isn’t so loud as to wake up the neighbors or have cops pull you over; but people will know that the exhaust is not stock.

Now for the pics.

Stock Exhaust:

Borla Exhaust:

Nice under-carriage shot - notice the cross bars (right before the second muffle).

UC Shot 2:

Side:

Side2:

Advertisement
Old 05-05-2004, 04:01 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 05-06-2004, 05:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 330i
Niiice Job !!. Do you think you'll be able to post some sound clips? I'm really curious to hear how it sounds on a 330.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:54 AM
In Mod Heaven

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwisfast
Niiice Job !!. Do you think you'll be able to post some sound clips? I'm really curious to hear how it sounds on a 330.
I've had bunch of people request this so I'll see what I can do.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:07 AM
The Original Dr. Phil

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Phil
Mein Auto: 2012 135 coupe

Modder's unit
Old 05-06-2004, 06:17 AM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
Borla exhaust on RX-8 video.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 05-06-2004, 06:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E30, M3, 540i
The exhaust system looks really good. Thanks for posting a write up.

Two questions...

1. How much of a weight savings do you think this exhaust is? Does the Borla documentation say anything about weight?

2. Did you notice a difference in throttle response?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 05-24-2004, 08:36 AM
I'd Rather be Surfing...

Send a message via AIM to billybimmer
Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330Ci
1. How much of a weight savings do you think this exhaust is? Does the Borla documentation say anything about weight?

According to the mperformance website (http://www.mperformance.com/store/co...?idproduct=512) the stock exhaust weighs in at 53 lbs. and the Borla exhaust weighs in at 37 lbs.

2. Did you notice a difference in throttle response?

I haven't installed it yet, but I will post my findings upon installation

2001 330CI - Auto/Steptronic, Sport, Premium and All Weather Package, Jet Black, Full-tint, Clears all around, Solaris Electrum Bulbs, ECIS CAI, Rogue Engineering Power Pulleys, M135 Wheels

Coming soon - Shark Injector, UUC Swaybars, M3 Strut Brace, Smoked Tails, Corners and Sidemarkers