Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750i sport
Thumbs up Transmission jerk hesitation fix!

Hi guys, I am a long time BMW enthusiast, have been driving a 750i sport for some time now. I have done alot of reading about the hesitation and jerking that seems to happen to pretty much everyone. After trying many options, I decided to try cleaning the MAF, changing the MAFs has done wonders on an M5 I used to own. Long story short after cleaning the MAF with special MAF cleaner , and a que tip, I had put on approx. 8k miles, with no issues. Few days ago had it happen again, I figured Id give it another shot before buying a new one as they are not returnable. After cleaning again it drives great! I have ordered a new MAF and will be replacing mine, as it shouldn't need cleaning that often.

Posting this hoping it will help fix the issues many of you are having. It appears the MAF sensor can really screw things up in terms of oxygen distribution and thus causing these jolts and such. Whoever has these same problems should really give it a shot. Be careful when cleaning it make sure to be extra gentle, as its a sensitive part.

Hope to able to contribute to this board, and hang out here more often!

If you guys have any questions let me know Id be happy to help.
Ads by Google
Old 02-08-2012, 02:52 PM

Forgot to add that MAF cleaner can be purchased at any hardware store, I got mine at PepBoys, shouldnt cost more than $5-8.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to Tarek307
Mein Auto: 09' 650i
iceman, give us a little DIY, or some guidance on where to find the MAF in the car and how to remove and clean, thanks

Previous:
2008 BMW ///M6
2012 Benz C250 AMG
2001 BMW ///M5
2005 Porsche 911S
2002 Porsche 911
2004 BMW 745Li
1997 BMW 528i
2004 BMW 530i
Old 02-08-2012, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: E65 750i Sport,C5 z51 e46
Great post bro, welcome aboard.... we all love bimmers here.
e46 328i Prem Aw18" 335spt whls(sold)
c5 Corvette 6sp,z51,2"drp,19"ccw'sshrt shft,corsa exh,dd nav
e53 X5 3.0, pana rf,nav,xenon,cldweather, premium.ipod hookup, 20"4.6rims staggered 315rrs.
e65 750I aw, sport. chrome21's,acs pdls,acs rfsplr,mtecs,8k hid fogs,Leds.oem ipod&sirius
Srt10 VIPER, 19-20" rennen forgedwheels,tune,exhaust,intake.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:58 PM
jenkx

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarek307 View Post
iceman, give us a little DIY, or some guidance on where to find the MAF in the car and how to remove and clean, thanks
+1 Yes indeed, a little guidance would be much appreciated. BTW - Welcome to the fest!!!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 06 750Li, 98 540i
I cleaned mine today and I'll let you know how it turns out after a couple of days driving. I think the MAF sensor is located right in front of the engine block with the 2 air intakes meet and go into the engine. At least I hope I cleaned the right part.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:12 PM

Ok guys heres my attempt at a DIY.

Attached in the photo you will find the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor). To remove it there are two torx screws, one on top and one on the bottom.

Remove screws and pull out the MAF. There is a plastic covering that needs to be removed which is just held by clips, be careful removing them as they are easy to break.

Disconnect MAF by gently pushing on the release, do not apply any force, youll see the release right by the connector.

Make sure you let the MAF cool down, or better yet do it on a cold engine, because if you try cleaning it while it is still hot you can fry it.

Next step get some MAF Cleaner from Autozone or PepBoys, you can use other electric cleaners, but why when there is one designed specifically for this.

Take the can of MAF cleaner and spray all over the MAF up until the rubber gasket, make sure to not spray on the connector.

Take a que tip, and very CAREFULLY clean along the metal piece of the sensor.

After you are done give it some time to dry and reinstall. On the can of MAF cleaner it says dries instantly, but you really should give it at least 10-15 minutes to dry to be safe.

Hope this helps guys, good luck and let me know how it works out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW_N62B48B_Engine_m.jpg
Views:	2943
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	311587  
Old 02-08-2012, 07:18 PM

Here find a picture of the MAF, I found this picture online so this is a BMW MAF but will look a little different than ours. I included this picture so you can see where to clean with the que tip, and what the sensor should look like. This really is a simple, quick, and painless procedure. If this helps you will feel a difference immediately, and then you can go and buy a new MAF. I believe list price is around $325.

Seems to have also resolved any idle issues as well.

Hope this is all detailed enough for you guys, if you have any questions feel free to ask and Ill do my best.

I have read through alot on this forum and am happy to finally be able to contribute something.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	173cc678.jpg
Views:	2695
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	311588  
Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 PM

1Bad540 , your car looks like my cars twin, minus the wheels. Where in NY are you? Im from Brooklyn myself, moved to NJ not long ago.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 750I
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkx View Post
+1 Yes indeed, a little guidance would be much appreciated. BTW - Welcome to the fest!!!
Jenx your MAF would be different than his. Yours would be between the air filter and throttle body....it's the only thing between the air filter and the throttle body with wires coming out of it.

Just to clarify his problem. His issue is being caused by the mass air flow sensor giving incorrect readings to the DME on the amount of air entering the intake. This causes the fuel air and spark mixture used for combustion in the engine to be incorrect (too much air or too little air)... This is turn would cause a slight misfire causing the idle to fluctuate. What happens is that as the car is downshifting through the gears the idle fluctuates because of this slight misfire causing the car to jerk a bit when going into lower gears. This is because the DME is not able to adequately control the throttle input while down shifting. It's like if you were driving a manual shift and then you gave the car a little gas between shifting when it is in neutral and then slam it into gear. Those who drive a manual would clearly understand what gasing up between shifts would do.

Because the source of the problem is a slight misfire causing a fluctuating idle, anything that can cause a misfire can cause similar problems. In this case it was the MAF but it can easily be the spark plugs, coils, fuel injectors, vacuum leak or anything that can interfere with the fuel air spark ratio. Too much air is the fuel will cause you car to run "lean" and this is bad because it will run the engine hot. Too little air...there too much gas in the mixture will cause the car to rum "rich" which is actually cooler in the engine but the unburnt gas would make your exhaust smell and it would kill your catalytic converter in the long run.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFEL750I View Post
Jenx your MAF would be different than his. Yours would be between the air filter and throttle body....it's the only thing between the air filter and the throttle body with wires coming out of it.

Just to clarify his problem. His issue is being caused by the mass air flow sensor giving incorrect readings to the DME on the amount of air entering the intake. This causes the fuel air and spark mixture used for combustion in the engine to be incorrect (too much air or too little air)... This is turn would cause a slight misfire causing the idle to fluctuate. What happens is that as the car is downshifting through the gears the idle fluctuates because of this slight misfire causing the car to jerk a bit when going into lower gears. This is because the DME is not able to adequately control the throttle input while down shifting. It's like if you were driving a manual shift and then you gave the car a little gas between shifting when it is in neutral and then slam it into gear. Those who drive a manual would clearly understand what gasing up between shifts would do.

Because the source of the problem is a slight misfire causing a fluctuating idle, anything that can cause a misfire can cause similar problems. In this case it was the MAF but it can easily be the spark plugs, coils, fuel injectors, vacuum leak or anything that can interfere with the fuel air spark ratio. Too much air is the fuel will cause you car to run "lean" and this is bad because it will run the engine hot. Too little air...there too much gas in the mixture will cause the car to rum "rich" which is actually cooler in the engine but the unburnt gas would make your exhaust smell and it would kill your catalytic converter in the long run.
Excellent info!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:47 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Welcome to the FEST!

Nice info there. Although I believe the "infamous transmission slam" I experienced (and probably most) is directly related to the tranny itself. Which I got replaced under warranty.
But back to MAF sensor. This is interesting. Damn that thing looks like a paper clip! Hate when dainty things are used for such large/crucial tasks.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 06 750i
Hey, the same fix used to work on my 03 Chevy Tahoe!!! Just make sure you use MAF Cleaner or Circuit Board cleaner. I've heard of people trying to Use Carb cleaner and having to buy a new MAF.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
I am from Bk(Brooklyn)my self just recently move to Cali.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: X3
You need a security 5 point torx screwdriver. I just removed both ends of the air intake a slipped the maf section of the tube out, cleaned the maf and replaced it all as auto zone didn't have the 5 point screwdrivers. btw even at 80k my maf looked brand new.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys. Tx I don't think this the solution to all transmission issues, but I think it has a lot to do with many diff things that affect transmission smoothness, and that hiccup in acceleration at light throttle. This is my observation after having done fuel filter, , reset and such. All had no results until the maf.

Has anyone tried it and had any positive results? Really hoping this works for you guys. Before doing this the other day, the car was running so weird jerking at every shift I felt like I wanted to dump the car off a cliff it was that annoying.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 PM

Rookie where in bk?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
Canarsie Between Flatlands & Glenwood
Old 02-12-2012, 03:29 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman28o1 View Post
I cleaned mine today and I'll let you know how it turns out after a couple of days driving. I think the MAF sensor is located right in front of the engine block with the 2 air intakes meet and go into the engine. At least I hope I cleaned the right part.
Update???

I have started to wonder about cleaning mine.
But I would like to hear more from folks who have:

When and why did you?
Noticeable improvements?
What exact cleaner did you use?

It's a very sensetive and expensive item. Don't want to jack with it of not totally necessary.

GALAXY Tab ~ Powered by ANDROID!

Old 02-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Wilassasin

Mein Auto: 07' 750Li(sport)/C6 conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Update???

I have started to wonder about cleaning mine.
But I would like to hear more from folks who have:

When and why did you?
Noticeable improvements?
What exact cleaner did you use?

It's a very sensetive and expensive item. Don't want to jack with it of not totally necessary.

Tex if your car is running smoothly i wouldnt do it, epecilly since u got ur tranny replaced.

09' 335i xdrive coupe(sold),
750 sport(sold)
, 2013' S550 4matic (AMG Sport Pack), C6 convertible...
Old 02-13-2012, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 750LI
Okay thanks for this thread fellas.
So i had my engine light come on and the error code is: P2187 (system too lean at idle bank 1) and P2187 (system too lean at idle bank 2) Failed MAF
Probable cause(s) Low fuel pressure, vacuum leak on engine, failed h02s (heated oxygen sensor)

Do you guys think cleaning this MAF sensor would resolve my issue or i need to replace it?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW745I E65 ,BMW318 IS 94
nice info thanks really useful
Old 02-16-2012, 04:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745LI
Quote:
Okay thanks for this thread fellas.
So i had my engine light come on and the error code is: P2187 (system too lean at idle bank 1) and P2187 (system too lean at idle bank 2) Failed MAF
Probable cause(s) Low fuel pressure, vacuum leak on engine, failed h02s (heated oxygen sensor)

Do you guys think cleaning this MAF sensor would resolve my issue or i need to replace it?
it happen to me same error code, all I need to replaced Pressure Regulator Valve you can get it from http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E66-745...ion/ES2091226/
Old 02-17-2012, 01:10 AM
Way East...

Mein Auto: To many cars..
Gonna try it this weekend
-----------:---------------

No signature picture...
Old 02-17-2012, 01:13 AM

Mein Auto: '06 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicky View Post
No signature picture...
Put one up then man!

2006 BMW 750Li - Style 128's with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Magnaflow quad exhaust, ACS Roof Spoiler, ACS Aluminum Pedals, Umnitza LED License Plate Lights, Beltronics V995

1997 BMW 540i - E39 M5 wheels, straight piped quad exhaust, CAI, Dinan performance chip, H&R springs

2002 Lexus LX470 - Window Tint (20%)

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE - Window Tint (30% front, 15% rear), LED interior lighting

2006 Mercedes-Benz S500 - AMG Sports Package - SOLD