Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 02-09-2012, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4i
'05 4.4 5th gear hiccup/stopping jerks

Hello all,
Recently purchased this 05 4.4i with 90k miles and in 5th gear only does this happen. After it is in 5th for approx. 5 seconds the trans feels like it stutters or hiccups every 3 seconds or so. Similar to a loss in power but only for 1/2 second each time. Every other gear is great. No slipping in any gears including 5th. Also, when you pull to a stop and rolling stops, it seems to be in neutral for a few seconds before it goes into 1st gear. I think it may be the valve body and I plan on changing the fluid and filter soon to see if this corrects it, but I wanted some opinions on this to see if I can fix something while I'm changing fluids. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 06-29-2012, 02:03 PM

Question 05 4.4 5th gear hiccup

DaddyX5, I have the same issue, but it doesn't happen all the time.
It is only in 5th gear at about 60km/hr, a hiccup every 3-4 secs for a fraction of a second.
Has anyone else found an answer to this?

Cheers
Old 07-02-2012, 01:16 AM

Mein Auto: '04 BMW X5 4.4i, '05 G35
I ALSO have this same problem, it does not happen all the time but often enough where it starts to annoy... only happens b/w 30~40mph on 5th gear.

I'm assuming this could be caused by misfire on one of the plugs perhaps?...

Any thoughts will be appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccroton View Post
DaddyX5, I have the same issue, but it doesn't happen all the time.
It is only in 5th gear at about 60km/hr, a hiccup every 3-4 secs for a fraction of a second.
Has anyone else found an answer to this?

Cheers
Old 07-02-2012, 03:20 PM

I thought mine was a misfire, had all the plugs replaced but still there.
Feels like you're driving along and rapidly yanking on the handbrake for a fraction of a second every 20 secs or so at 60kms in 5th gear
Any further ideas?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5, 4.4i
I just purchased my 2004 X5 4.4i and find myself in the unfortunate situation as described by the OP. Has anybody found out the source of these problems?
Thanks.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:06 PM

This happens once in a while and it's getting annoying too...
Old 09-07-2012, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5, 4.4i
Got the X5 from Fields BMW yesterday, they performed a software update on both ECU and whatever they call the transmission control module. They also performed an emissions related recall which (software update), from what I was told by the service rep, allows more diagnostic information to independent mechanics. The fifth gear hiccup at the 35 mph steady state operation is gone as well as the rough 2-1 gear shift when coming to a stop. I'll be reporting on its behavior once I put a few hundred miles. I'll also be changing the transmission oil/filter and transfer case oil. I don't buy the "lifetime fluid" policy especially when their OEM fluids aren't fully synthetic.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:23 PM

Sounds good! I've also called the dealer and was told to bring the vehicle in to take care of one recall which hasn't been looked at. Hopefully this will also solve the hiccup on my vehicle.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:36 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KartelACE View Post
Got the X5 from Fields BMW yesterday, they performed a software update on both ECU and whatever they call the transmission control module. They also performed an emissions related recall which (software update), from what I was told by the service rep, allows more diagnostic information to independent mechanics. The fifth gear hiccup at the 35 mph steady state operation is gone as well as the rough 2-1 gear shift when coming to a stop. I'll be reporting on its behavior once I put a few hundred miles. I'll also be changing the transmission oil/filter and transfer case oil. I don't buy the "lifetime fluid" policy especially when their OEM fluids aren't fully synthetic.
Follow up on this if you don't mind..

I am having a similar issue in 5th only. I just changed my transmission oil, filter, etc. and that helped immensely on all the issues with rough shifting, etc. but the 5th gear hiccup is worse.

Did you have any hiccups at higher speeds? Mine happens at any speed up to 80mph (after that it does NOT do it)

Thanks for any info!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:19 PM

*Update*

I've brought in my X5 to the dealer to get the software update (recall), the next day I picked it up and I immediately noticed that the 5th gear hiccup(jerk) was no longer present. However, it appears that sometimes 1st to 2nd gear shifting is rough at times which wasn't there before... However, annoying 5th gear hiccup/jerk is GONE!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:08 AM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous212 View Post
*Update*

I've brought in my X5 to the dealer to get the software update (recall), the next day I picked it up and I immediately noticed that the 5th gear hiccup(jerk) was no longer present. However, it appears that sometimes 1st to 2nd gear shifting is rough at times which wasn't there before... However, annoying 5th gear hiccup/jerk is GONE!
Hopefully I have the same results!

Waiting on my cable now so I can update mine
Old 08-21-2014, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
I know it's a very old thread, but hoping it might get looked at.

KartelACE, can you please give us an update on whether it solved the problem or not?

Thanks,
Old 08-25-2014, 08:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to ChezWhiz Send a message via MSN to ChezWhiz Send a message via Yahoo to ChezWhiz
Mein Auto: 2001 X5 4.4i
Service Bulletin: Engine Control software

I just had my '05 looked at two weeks ago. I was expecting to have to rebuild the transmission ($$$). Instead, the place I took it to said they didn't find anything wrong with the transmission but that there were "several" BMW technical bulletins regarding hard shifting in the '05 which recommended software upgrades for the engine control module. They told me my '05 (3rd owner, bought used in '11) had the original engine control module. I paid for the software upgrade and they told me it might take a while for the software to learn my driving habits and reprogram the engine module accordingly.

It's been a couple weeks now and I haven't noticed any of the really hard downshifting problems I was having before. There still seems to be some hesitation when downshifting though.

I thought next I might look and see if Dinan has any after market software updates for the engine control module I can try.