Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 335i AT; '14 Stingray
100 Mile Report (long)

Picked up the car yesterday. No surprises. 36-mo/12K lease; residual 64%; MF .00146 (w/ 7 MSDs). Monroney attached.

10th BMW, including E36 318ti MT, E46 330I ZHP MT, E93 335i auto, and - just turned in - 2010 E89 Z4 s35i DCT. With last two, used paddles exclusively. 3 BMW Performance Driving Schools, including Advanced M at VIR. Other car is 2011 Corvette Grand Sport vert MT.

Summary: the F30 335i is an awesome sedan. Entirely pleased with every aspect. Major advances in switchgear, displays, instrumentation. In 100 miles of urban/suburban driving, car is agile and quick - point and shoot.

Details (in no order)...

Steering is light but focused. Variable sport steering really works in tight places and is non-intrusive on the road. Steering wheel is small in diameter and leather is graining and grippable - not as good for me as the M-wheel, but in that direction.

Seats very good. Again, grainy and grippy leather. Rear outside headrests get in the field of view to rear but easily removed. Center rear headrest folds down. Small net pocket back of front seats. Fold-down rear is good.

Handling is really splendid. Feels like an M-3. Nothing more to say: it feels like an M-3.

Has an airy greenhouse and upright seating position; very commanding control of where the car is going and what's going on around it. Excellent mirrors.

HUD is good; better than in '09 535i. Works with polaroids, though must roll head a bit to the right under bright conditions. Have not seen the 'color' aspect - just looks mono to me. NAV in HUD is good but smallish font. No gear-position, turn signals. Good for cruise control display. Still nowhere near as good as GM's in my C6, though.

Gages and displays are excellent, a step-jump ahead of last generation BMWs (such as my Z4). Controls and switchgear also very good - no complaints, no issues.

Cruise control moves from a stalk to the left side of steering wheel, but is even easier to use than the (excellent) stalk. Very intuitive.

H-K sound system seems fine.

Car is quiet, but have not had it at freeway speeds.

iDrive nails it: intuitive, fully functional, great flexibility.

NAV system is a bit dark in the display but functionality continues to be very good. Resets almost instantly when deviating from planned route (speed to reset really noticeable compared with previous generations). Same voice. For those not experienced with it, the ability to send a destination from Google Maps on a computer to the NAV system via BMW Assist is almost worth the price of admission in itself.

Car's external look is fine. It's a sedan. It's a BMW sedan. It looks like a BMW 3-series sedan, with enough sheet-metal tweaks to differentiate it from earlier models. Front end looks burly. Front license plate holder better in person than discussed earlier (but will remove it as soon as someone posts a non-destructive method). Interior is very functional and looks high quality everywhere.

The camera package seems top-notch at first use, but still will take time to get full utility from. I'd order it again.

Trunk is roomy, has a couple cubbies beneath the floor, a net hold-down, net side pocket. Cargo tiedowns (hefty)

Much internal storage - door, big glove compartment, not-big center armrest. Cup holders are very deep - have switched to a tall BMW driving cup rather than rely on dexterity to keep from smooshing a Starbucks cup full of hot coffee lifting it out. Be careful.

iPod hooks up immediately and gives full functionality through the display screen. You'll need a dongle - I've had a couple around so no prob but did not see one with the new car.

Comfort Access kick-under-the-trunk works when you do it right, Only slightly tricky.

Display screen seems natural where it is and is unobtrusive.

BMW Apps? Beats me. Gonna have to research that to figure out what the hell I bought.

The Adaptive M Suspension is same is in Z4, with addition of ECO-PRO (if anyone ever uses this, post something; won't be me; ditto on Stop/Start - I always turn it off). My continuing view is the Sport+ is a track mode, pure and simple, but Sport is great, improving throttle response, tightening up the suspension, and giving more steering wheel feedback. Only way to go. Comfort is for ... I don't know what it's for.

Best for last: the 8-speed automatic transmission is a wonder. Seamless and knows just what gear to be in and when to shift. Shifts are instantaneous and torque converter locks throughout the speed range almost from a dead stop; I judge this even faster than my Z4's DCT and equally tight. Have experimented with Manual mode and the paddles. Like the M-3-like paddle arrangement over the push-down, pull up of the Z4 and E9x autos and DCTs. But! But full automatic, D and Sport, is so good on rev range and shifting and drivability that I intend to do all my driving in full automatic. Trust me, you have to work really hard to shift as well as the auto mode with this transmission. I'll leave the manual-vs-auto argument to others; I like both but am most happy I bought this 8-speed.

You've really gots to read the manual (how to open hood; trunk switch in glovebox, etc.)

Comments and questions welcome. No pics - the launch-model Sport Line photos in Melbourne Red are what I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monromey 1.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	311658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monroney 2.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	311659  

Last edited by Rubber Ducky; 02-09-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-09-2012, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Thanks! Sounds awesome! enjoy it!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E92 335i Coupe
Awesome write up. Glad to see some real reviews rolling in.

Super jealous considering the bimmerfest.com 328i is just getting off loaded from a ship in NY today.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
A damn good review. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:21 PM
I saw the light!

Mein Auto: 13 F30
Real nice writeup. The exact same build as mine will be minus the window shades.

2013 335i F30 M Sport (ZMM, EBII, ZDH, ZTP, 2TB, 688) My ED Trip
2002 E36/7 Topaz Blue Roadster
BMWCCA Member ID: 456926
Old 02-09-2012, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 Sedan
Nice write up. Thanks for taking the time.

I know are not a fan, but can you try out the stop-start and give us your thoughts on it during normal driving.

My F30 335i is supposed to start production next week!
Old 02-09-2012, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135
Great review, informative and gave me a few chuckles as well!
Old 02-09-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Alan View Post
Nice write up. Thanks for taking the time.

I know are not a fan, but can you try out the stop-start and give us your thoughts on it during normal driving.

My F30 335i is supposed to start production next week!
Have tested Start/Stop in a 535i. Uncanny how well it works. In F30, same S/S implementation and no reason not to use it ... OTOH, no compelling reason TO use it either IMHO and so I choose not to. But YMMV and I'm running out of acronyms and let's leave it there.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Custom User ***le Removed

Mein Auto: 2012 128iC
How's the turbo lag?
Old 02-09-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce128iC View Post
How's the turbo lag?
Ain't none. This is my fourth N54(3)/N55 mill and even a hint of turbo lag is really really hard to detect. It's just not there.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
What's the brand of 3G RFT that it came with? It should be more supple than your previous 3-series?
Old 02-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Custom User ***le Removed

Mein Auto: 2012 128iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
Ain't none. This is my fourth N54(3)/N55 mill and even a hint of turbo lag is really really hard to detect. It's just not there.
That's good to hear. My 2008 335i had terrible turbo lag. The engine and auto transmission did not work well together at all.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyao88 View Post
What's the brand of 3G RFT that it came with? It should be more supple than your previous 3-series?
Continentals - ContiSport Contact SSR.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Continentals - ContiSport Contact SSR.
Was happy to see these on the demo red sportline, tho i have seen someones car(sporltine) come with goodyear efficientgrip tires...looked more all season than summer...
Old 02-10-2012, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
RD, thanks for the report. Glad to read the sportiness has remained (M3 characteristics). However, can you decribe the level of comfort when just driving normally. E9x versions were known for crashing over bumps and transmitting every road irregularity though the chassis. Is the F30 any more refined? Again, thanks for the great report.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo jean View Post
RD, thanks for the report. Glad to read the sportiness has remained (M3 characteristics). However, can you decribe the level of comfort when just driving normally. E9x versions were known for crashing over bumps and transmitting every road irregularity though the chassis. Is the F30 any more refined? Again, thanks for the great report.
Not enough miles for definitive report but seems less cushy than last 535i. But nothing upsetting so far. I think this is dialed in pretty good for normal US driving ... and for the twisties.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
Quote:
Not enough miles for definitive report but seems less cushy than last 535i. But nothing upsetting so far. I think this is dialed in pretty good for normal US driving ... and for the twisties.
Good to hear there is nothing upsetting so far. But you also compared it to a 535i. I would expect it to be less cushy than a 535i. I'm hoping that the F30 sport is more refined (for lack of a better word), not necessarily more cushy, than an E90 with the sport suspension. Cushy can always be dialed in or out with the adpative suspension option.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: German
pics!

Congrats. It's fantastic how economical the 335i has become
Old 02-12-2012, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
Just wondering,

What would your monthly lease payment be?
Old 02-12-2012, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Picked up the car yesterday. No surprises. 36-mo/12K lease; residual 64%; MF .00146 (w/ 7 MSDs). Monroney attached.

10th BMW, including E36 318ti MT, E46 330I ZHP MT, E93 335i auto, and - just turned in - 2010 E89 Z4 s35i DCT. With last two, used paddles exclusively. 3 BMW Performance Driving Schools, including Advanced M at VIR. Other car is 2011 Corvette Grand Sport vert MT.

Summary: the F30 335i is an awesome sedan. Entirely pleased with every aspect. Major advances in switchgear, displays, instrumentation. In 100 miles of urban/suburban driving, car is agile and quick - point and shoot.

Details (in no order)...

Steering is light but focused. Variable sport steering really works in tight places and is non-intrusive on the road. Steering wheel is small in diameter and leather is graining and grippable - not as good for me as the M-wheel, but in that direction.

Seats very good. Again, grainy and grippy leather. Rear outside headrests get in the field of view to rear but easily removed. Center rear headrest folds down. Small net pocket back of front seats. Fold-down rear is good.

Handling is really splendid. Feels like an M-3. Nothing more to say: it feels like an M-3.

Has an airy greenhouse and upright seating position; very commanding control of where the car is going and what's going on around it. Excellent mirrors.

HUD is good; better than in '09 535i. Works with polaroids, though must roll head a bit to the right under bright conditions. Have not seen the 'color' aspect - just looks mono to me. NAV in HUD is good but smallish font. No gear-position, turn signals. Good for cruise control display. Still nowhere near as good as GM's in my C6, though.

Gages and displays are excellent, a step-jump ahead of last generation BMWs (such as my Z4). Controls and switchgear also very good - no complaints, no issues.

Cruise control moves from a stalk to the left side of steering wheel, but is even easier to use than the (excellent) stalk. Very intuitive.

H-K sound system seems fine.

Car is quiet, but have not had it at freeway speeds.

iDrive nails it: intuitive, fully functional, great flexibility.

NAV system is a bit dark in the display but functionality continues to be very good. Resets almost instantly when deviating from planned route (speed to reset really noticeable compared with previous generations). Same voice. For those not experienced with it, the ability to send a destination from Google Maps on a computer to the NAV system via BMW Assist is almost worth the price of admission in itself.

Car's external look is fine. It's a sedan. It's a BMW sedan. It looks like a BMW 3-series sedan, with enough sheet-metal tweaks to differentiate it from earlier models. Front end looks burly. Front license plate holder better in person than discussed earlier (but will remove it as soon as someone posts a non-destructive method). Interior is very functional and looks high quality everywhere.

The camera package seems top-notch at first use, but still will take time to get full utility from. I'd order it again.

Trunk is roomy, has a couple cubbies beneath the floor, a net hold-down, net side pocket. Cargo tiedowns (hefty)

Much internal storage - door, big glove compartment, not-big center armrest. Cup holders are very deep - have switched to a tall BMW driving cup rather than rely on dexterity to keep from smooshing a Starbucks cup full of hot coffee lifting it out. Be careful.

iPod hooks up immediately and gives full functionality through the display screen. You'll need a dongle - I've had a couple around so no prob but did not see one with the new car.

Comfort Access kick-under-the-trunk works when you do it right, Only slightly tricky.

Display screen seems natural where it is and is unobtrusive.

BMW Apps? Beats me. Gonna have to research that to figure out what the hell I bought.

The Adaptive M Suspension is same is in Z4, with addition of ECO-PRO (if anyone ever uses this, post something; won't be me; ditto on Stop/Start - I always turn it off). My continuing view is the Sport+ is a track mode, pure and simple, but Sport is great, improving throttle response, tightening up the suspension, and giving more steering wheel feedback. Only way to go. Comfort is for ... I don't know what it's for.

Best for last: the 8-speed automatic transmission is a wonder. Seamless and knows just what gear to be in and when to shift. Shifts are instantaneous and torque converter locks throughout the speed range almost from a dead stop; I judge this even faster than my Z4's DCT and equally tight. Have experimented with Manual mode and the paddles. Like the M-3-like paddle arrangement over the push-down, pull up of the Z4 and E9x autos and DCTs. But! But full automatic, D and Sport, is so good on rev range and shifting and drivability that I intend to do all my driving in full automatic. Trust me, you have to work really hard to shift as well as the auto mode with this transmission. I'll leave the manual-vs-auto argument to others; I like both but am most happy I bought this 8-speed.

You've really gots to read the manual (how to open hood; trunk switch in glovebox, etc.)

Comments and questions welcome. No pics - the launch-model Sport Line photos in Melbourne Red are what I have.
That's a great MF, can you tell me which dealer is giving you that ? Thanks
Old 02-13-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30owner View Post
That's a great MF, can you tell me which dealer is giving you that ? Thanks
MF above should be available to anyone if:
  1. Tier One credit,
  2. 7 MSDs, and
  3. No dealer bump to the MF
My lease is through The Imported Car Store in Melbourne FL Is my tenth Bimmer from them and totally pleased with every aspect of the dealership.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Button Pusher

Send a message via AIM to AK Send a message via Yahoo to AK
Mein Auto: '07 335i, '04 4Runner
Jeez, these cars are getting expensive...
Old 02-16-2012, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: e46, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
Jeez, these cars are getting expensive...
yeah...you like that? A $56,000 three series.

no wonder people aren't buying anymore...you can make a solid six figure salary and spend HALF of your annual income on a three series.

Which of course violates common sense, and all generally accepted notions of how much of your salary should be allocated to housing costs, car costs, etc.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman View Post

no wonder people aren't buying anymore...you can make a solid six figure salary and spend HALF of your annual income on a three series.

Which of course violates common sense, and all generally accepted notions of how much of your salary should be allocated to housing costs, car costs, etc.
250K is the new 100K.

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 02-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Button Pusher

Send a message via AIM to AK Send a message via Yahoo to AK
Mein Auto: '07 335i, '04 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman View Post

Unless you've got money to burn it's hard to justify buying anything beyond a 4-cylinder Honda Accord, which by all accounts will be comfortable and reliable transportation with very low ownership costs. BMWs are about want, not need. Still, when considering an F30 as a potential replacement for my E90, the numbers don't add up. It's probably a better car in most categories but I doubt it's "better enough" to justify what it would cost me to upgrade. In the end, just like it did originally with my E90, it will probably come down to the right combination of factory incentives, low lease rates and European Delivery that would get me to switch. If you get a good deal on that stuff it tends to mask the sticker cost.

BTW, my 335i had a MSRP of about $47K. To get a comparably-optioned F30, the sticker would be about $52K.