Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition

BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition
Have an interest in BMW motorcycles or just motorcycles in general? Discuss the line of BMW motorcycles and how they may compare to the rest of the competition in this forum!

Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Driving around somewhere

Mein Auto: nothing at the moment
K1300S vs. Multistrada 1200

Per the title, I am debating on purchase of either of the above bikes. I understand the new MS isn't out yet, but for those of you who have experience with the K1300S, I would appreciate any feedback. I have done as much research as I can on the BMW and it's my understanding from other forums that most of the outstanding issues have been fixed (i.e. stalling, etc)

I really think the Ducati will be a groundbreaking bike with all of it's features, but it will also cost me about 2-2500K more (based on how i want it equipped and taking into consideration the deals avail on the bmw). Insurance is going to be about the same and is not a factor for me.

I have sat on both, and while riding positions are different, both are comfortable...a back to back test drive is definitely in order once the MS is out.

Any thoughts or things I should consider that maybe I haven't thought of? I would certainly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Former
Ads by Google
Old 04-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535d M-Sport
I'll take a shot at asnwering...I have an older Multistrada in the garage, but it is nothing like the new 1200. I have rarely had any trouble with my Ducatis, and am on my 3rd. The service interval now is 7500 miles, so don't worry about the naysayers who tell you "you'll always be adjusting your valves, etc." The new 'Strada has some ride-electronics that have never been seen on a street bike yet-- just pick up any of the current motomags to read about what this bike can do. Your other choice of the Beemer is another worldclass ride. However, being a Ducati guy- I would get the new MTS.

I dunno which to tell you to get, other than to say either one will probably thrill you beyond belief. The dealers are probably not going to offer much of a test ride- unless they "vet" you pretty carefully. My local shop has had test riders who have promptly dumped 20K machines right in front of the shop, due to not being able to handle this level of machine. What's your main application for the new bike? Shorter mountain blasting or more serious long haul touring? Maybe the Beemer might be more comfortable in that case...

If you get one or the other, please report back OK? And post up some pics!

Last edited by railroader; 04-17-2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: correction some spelling
Old 04-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Driving around somewhere

Thanks for the response Railroader. I will definitely post back in this thread with updates, and the eventual bike I purchase...and will include pics for sure!

I have to say I am leaning towards the Multistrada at this point. My neighbor has a Monster S4R which also uses a 4valve motor and it really is thrilling. The MS will put out even more than that.

I have confirmed with both dealers that I will be able to test drive so that will be good. I plan on doing them back to back on the same day once the Multi is available. I will probably be using this bike for more touring duties...and a lot of quick point to point shoots. I will have to pay careful attention to the ergos of each one.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Driving around somewhere

I have a One hour demo with the MS1200 this friday....can't wait!

I will post up my review and some pics afterward.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by former230 View Post
I have a One hour demo with the MS1200 this friday....can't wait!

I will post up my review and some pics afterward.
Wow- thanks! -- for letting the moto-guys here know how the ride goes. My local dealer hasn't even got his first one yet, (the new MTS) last time I was in the shop, it was not there. He's got a list with money attached to each name for the new Multistrada. I'll just continue to motor on with my ancient machine. But I've also got a new 335d that is, er--taking up quite a bit of my time!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Driving around somewhere

I did my test ride Friday late afternoon. It was a black touring model outfitted with the optional touring windscreen. I am 6 foot 3 in with a 33 inch inseam. I wear a size 12 shoe. I felt the stock seat was very comfortable with enough room to make small adjustments in, but honestly it was so comfortable that I didn't really feel the need to shift all that much on the 45 mins that I spent on it (mixed highway and urban). Most comfortable bike I have been on to date.

The mode changes were more than I was expecting. You can really detect the throttle reponse change, the engine output, and the suspension differences. My route was purposely over varied road conditions to test out the different modes. The brakes were very strong and had very good feel. After a couple times, changing between the modes while riding gets a lot easier, and I am sure that after owning one for a couple weeks it would become second nature.

The stock slipper clutch worked beautifully and the power was fantastic. Smooth power and throttle response, no dead zone that I could detect. I have a deposit on a Red Base w/ ABS and simply cannot wait for my bike to arrive. Hopefully within 4 weeks from what the dealer said.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335i '09K1300S
New here first post...

I bought the first K1300S in Phoenix last year.

Problems to date: It did stall a few times on me under hard braking comming to a quick stop. Ive heard of others who have had a few more occurances than me, however BMW did put out a recall notice to have the bikes ECU reflashed. I havent had any other problems since.

Pros: Beautifull (I have Lava Orange), FAST and unique. When I decided I wanted another sport bike, yes, even with the release of the S100RR, I consider the K1300S a sport bike, I didnt want to pull up to a red light on a Jap bike and see another one across and or next to me. The K1300S is definately a unique bike. For its size it is very nimble and easy to manuver. The duolever suspension is phemominal. Its comfy around town (has the option of SPORT/NORMAL/COMFY setting) and very stable at speeds in excess of 150. The GSA (Gear Shift Assist) is a must. It allows for clutchless upshifts, after first gear, even at WOT. basically, just pin the throttle and go. ABS, Traction Control and TPMS are added benefits that I have. Its comfy 1up as well as 2up, with the ESA you select either 1 rider, 1 rider with gear or 2 riders and the suspension will auto calibrate to compensate for the added weight.

Cons: I cant stay off of it. Just over 1 year old and I have 11K mi on the bike. Other than the ECU flash and reg oil changes I havent had an issue. The first big service is at 12K, $$.

I have been so please with the quality of my K1300S that I went straight to BMW when I was in the market for a new car. I hopped in an '08 335i coupe and was sold.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Driving around somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosBimmers View Post
New here first post...

I bought the first K1300S in Phoenix last year.

Problems to date: It did stall a few times on me under hard braking comming to a quick stop. Ive heard of others who have had a few more occurances than me, however BMW did put out a recall notice to have the bikes ECU reflashed. I havent had any other problems since.

Pros: Beautifull (I have Lava Orange), FAST and unique. When I decided I wanted another sport bike, yes, even with the release of the S100RR, I consider the K1300S a sport bike, I didnt want to pull up to a red light on a Jap bike and see another one across and or next to me. The K1300S is definately a unique bike. For its size it is very nimble and easy to manuver. The duolever suspension is phemominal. Its comfy around town (has the option of SPORT/NORMAL/COMFY setting) and very stable at speeds in excess of 150. The GSA (Gear Shift Assist) is a must. It allows for clutchless upshifts, after first gear, even at WOT. basically, just pin the throttle and go. ABS, Traction Control and TPMS are added benefits that I have. Its comfy 1up as well as 2up, with the ESA you select either 1 rider, 1 rider with gear or 2 riders and the suspension will auto calibrate to compensate for the added weight.

Cons: I cant stay off of it. Just over 1 year old and I have 11K mi on the bike. Other than the ECU flash and reg oil changes I havent had an issue. The first big service is at 12K, $$.

I have been so please with the quality of my K1300S that I went straight to BMW when I was in the market for a new car. I hopped in an '08 335i coupe and was sold.
DosBimmers, great write up on the K1300S. The lava orange on that bike does look fantastic. Post up some pics if you get the chance.

My decision was a tough one but the two main reasons I passed up on the K1300S was the riding position (this is subjective to each rider) and the fact that the dealer was almost an hour away from me while the Ducati dealer is within a mile of my home. Really though, both are great bikes and I don't think I could have made a wrong decision between the two. The BMW bikes are just superb in quality, and I was almost the opposite of you. I drive a Bimmer as my car and that lead me to look at their bikes.

Keep enjoying that bike (and car) and ride it in good health!
Old 06-04-2010, 09:51 AM

2009 K1300S:

Old 06-13-2010, 04:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35is
I always loved my K1200RS, my old boss (Porshe owner) used to stand looking at it in the morning, just to admire the build quality and engineering of the mechanicals. This year I thought about a K1200S but the kids are still too young to hold on. I have compromised by ordering a Z4. Probably will not be fast enough though... Maybe next year.

Dr Stig
Australia
Z4 sDrive 35is
Old 06-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Driving around somewhere

Not my Ducati Multistrada, but picture from another owner who waited several months only to have this show up on the truck: (It was refused on delivery and sent back)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MS1200shipped.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	235257  
Old 06-21-2010, 02:48 PM

Unbelievable!

2009 K1300S:

Old 07-07-2010, 01:41 AM

Mein Auto: No BMW yet
I love the "thank you for using UPS."
Old 07-05-2012, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: Dodge 2500 Diesel
Thumbs up From an owner

Sorry for my late reply.

I own a heavily modified 2006 K1200S and a 2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200.

The K1200S has K&N air filters, Power Commander 3 and a full Akrapovik exhaust.

Similarities:

- Both bikes accelerate incredibly. Great fun!
- They're both ride-every-day capable.
- They both have active suspension adjust, ABS, etc.

Differences:

- While the MTS1200 will pull up to 130MPH, the K1200S goes far beyond that.
- The K1200S is a faster bike across the board.
- I find lubricating the chain on the MTS1200 a bore. The K1200S is shaft drive; no chain!
- The MTS1200 'feels' lighter than the K1200S.

I love both bikes for different reasons. The K1200S is pure adrenaline, while the MTS1200 is loads of fun, but in a more sedate capability.

I may trade the K1200S off for a K1300S HP, or, whatever may follow the K1300S HP (K1400S?). That or a Panagale 1199.