Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 750Li
Keep or trade? A lot of problems?

Hey all,

First of all I would like to apologize in advance for the long post, but would much appreciate your help and guidance. Out of our two 2008 750's the barbera red Li has been giving a lot of problems recently. Now I drive a lot due to being in real estate the car had 59,000 miles last april and now I have 75,000 miles. The list of repairs on the blue 2008 750i is only Trunk pistons, muffler bracket (due to something on the road not defect), and an oil leak back at around 40k miles. The new things this last week are the headlight issues and also the driver soft close. Now my CPO is ending Jan 3rd and I was going to purchase a CPO wrap for $1983 but now im questioning if I should keep the car. I have the maint plan until Jan 3rd as well and all maintenance has been done... I baby the car but so much has gone wrong... Are these problems normal or is it the car? What would you do? I love the car but cannot be worrying about issues. Ideally I would like the keep the car until Jan of 2015 then trade up to a brand new X6 50xi or the new 750i but if I get rid of it now I would most likely get a Lexus to hold me over a year or two. What do you all think?

Note: all problems below are since last february.
Now the list on the barbera 750LI

-Nav screen crack (replaced nav unit) Covered under warranty

-Driver leg extention actuator (replaced under warranty)

-Hydraulic leak resulting in trunk failure (replaced covered under warranty)

-Back shades kept from going up/down due to peeled up leather (covered under warranty)

-Fan failure resulting in engine overheating. (fan replaced) covered

-Coolant reservoir burst due to engine overheating (coolant reservoir + lines replaced) covered

-Drive control inactive message 1x then off.

-Check Engine light (O2 Sensor replaced) (covered under warranty.)

-Rear right door handle convenient access failure (replaced door handle under warranty.)

-Front left headlight does not activate all the time and will randomly not come on (not covered) $800 for control unit or $500 for bulb

-Front right headlight has purple hue and is dimmer than right. (not covered) $500 for light bulb

-Driver door soft close not working actuator is bad (not covered) $418

-Front bearings cracked and warn (not covered) $700 estimated

2008 BMW 750i Monaco Blue white and black interior.

2008 BMW 750LI Sport Package Barbera Red with Natural Brown Interior with LED License Lights

2008 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Last edited by Monaco&Barbera; 12-06-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-07-2013, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
Re: Keep or trade? A lot of problems?

500 for a light bulb? If you do plan on keeping it you need to go somewhere else besides the dealer. The cars will need something done around 100k . With this car its about preventative maintenance. Most major problems have been discovered now and can be done a lot cheaper then dealers way of repairs. If you plan on keeping it don't think its not going to need anything if you don't want to spend on repairs then changing the vehicle is the right choice for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-07-2013, 09:17 AM

Thanks for your input, you are right. My problem isn't really with the small repairs it's that I'm worried if the small stuff is starting when is the big stuff going to come? I've read about the valve stem seals and other 5k+ repairs and that is what makes me question keeping it. Also the sufferance between the two cars the blue has had so few issues so that's what I am comparing it to. I know my aunts 2006 750li was traded at a little over a hundred thousand miles with 12k worth of repairs. That's what I want to avoid. If I keep it one more year I will be getting rid of it at most likely 90k so I figured that would be the definite time to get rid of it.

2008 BMW 750LI Sport Package Barbera Red with Natural Brown Interior with LED License Lights

Old 12-07-2013, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: E65 750i Sport,C5 z51 e46
Heres the truth these cars are high maint, if you can get the wrap for $1900 100% do that, I would if I had the option. 2nd find a dependable independent mechanic. although the repairs will never be cheap they wont be 500 for a light bulb. Im currently looking for a new 750 body to replace my 48k mile 750, will be doing something cpo or w warty.
e46 328i Prem Aw18" 335spt whls(sold)
c5 Corvette 6sp,z51,2"drp,19"ccw'sshrt shft,corsa exh,dd nav
e53 X5 3.0, pana rf,nav,xenon,cldweather, premium.ipod hookup, 20"4.6rims staggered 315rrs.
e65 750I aw, sport. chrome21's,acs pdls,acs rfsplr,mtecs,8k hid fogs,Leds.oem ipod&sirius
Srt10 VIPER, 19-20" rennen forgedwheels,tune,exhaust,intake.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:19 AM

High maint. is 150% right and thats somewhat okay by me. It comes with the territory of driving any luxury car... The seven more than others... An independant shop I took our Jaguar to said they could do the light bulb with labor for $140 and get it done in about an hour. Wow what a difference. I'll have to get that taken care of and then I will have to get the driver door taken care of is $419 a good price or is the dealer high on price there too???

Old 12-07-2013, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li

I would like to suggest you get what you can for it now... you're playing Russian roulette with it, don't want to empty your pockets only to sell it anyway.

I added up all the repairs I would hv to do on mine in the next 6-12 months and put that towards my new purchase.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold & new owner totaled it 4 hours later)

Last edited by First_745Li; 12-07-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First_745Li View Post
I would like to suggest you get what you can for it now... you're playing Russian roulette with it, don't want to empty your pockets only to sell it anyway.

I added up all the repairs I would hv to do on mine in the next 6-12 months and put that towards my new purchase.

Thats what I am kind of thinking as well... Oh btw new thing to add to list now my driver door lock is spazzing out. It will cycle halfway up and down and make noise and not unlock... Seriously laughing at this point.... most likely not covered under cpo is what im assuming

Old 12-08-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco&Barbera View Post
Thats what I am kind of thinking as well... Oh btw new thing to add to list now my driver door lock is spazzing out. It will cycle halfway up and down and make noise and not unlock... Seriously laughing at this point.... most likely not covered under cpo is what im assuming
Yea dude I'd start looking for a replacement. Sorry.

'11 328i
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
Old 12-08-2013, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
Dump the car bro! Get something better cause the car will only get WORSE! Best of luck.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 04 745Li
Quote:
High maint. is 150% right and thats somewhat okay by me. It comes with the territory of driving any luxury car... The seven more than others... An independant shop I took our Jaguar to said they could do the light bulb with labor for $140 and get it done in about an hour. Wow what a difference. I'll have to get that taken care of and then I will have to get the driver door taken care of is $419 a good price or is the dealer high on price there too???
Is the light bulb on the 08 750 that much more different than the 04 745LI? I replaced the bulbs in mine in less than 15 mins....both sides. The cost for the bulbs was under $15. If you aren't planning on doing any of the maintenance yourself, I would definately recommend replacing the Barbera. You haven't even gotten around to the 'fun' repairs yet...some of which you have mentioned. Good luck!!
Old 12-10-2013, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 06 750li Sport
Ruuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnn!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Extended our BMW warranty thru the dealer and National which is one of the FEW aftermarket warranties with a good reputation; twas so for us, too. Price is hardly the sole determinant.

You have your answers in what to expect with that car and your aunt's, IMO. Doubt that? Check resale and see how the market values these cars. Despite being a car nut, ownership is now a spreadsheet-based operation; cost/month or mile. One $9800 BMW dealer repair bill kinda got my attention, tho.

I can recommend Desert Oasis in LV who will likely offer you tailored, expert advice. I met them on a 7-series road trip from hell.

From what my friends and neighbors say, once you've had Lexus, you'll never go back. (BTW, I don't like them.)
Old 12-10-2013, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 06' 750Li/His 06' X5/Hers

I'm in the same boat. Our X5 now needs both headlights after going purple. They don't come on at all. And just now, the door won't lock. I finally got the door closed, but now it won't open. And we also have a small oil leak/or big one. On the 750 I need the valve stem job, abs is going nuts, angel eye on one side is out, brake malfunction, PDC fault. I just got the alternator fixed and new battery. I also got the rear bearings done. I think from the break fault I need rotors (Speculation). I'm sitting at 94k now. But I swapped to the 750 after getting a 745 after 6 months so if I get a new car, that's 3 in less then 28 months. I'm trying to wait because I want a Bentley Flying Spur (Not new,06-09). I need about 20 months to get into the Spur.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremartin06 View Post
Is the light bulb on the 08 750 that much more different than the 04 745LI? I replaced the bulbs in mine in less than 15 mins....both sides. The cost for the bulbs was under $15. If you aren't planning on doing any of the maintenance yourself, I would definately recommend replacing the Barbera. You haven't even gotten around to the 'fun' repairs yet...some of which you have mentioned. Good luck!!
I am curious to look at the DIY's for the headlight replacement and the driver door actuator. I have to say I am a bit intimidated by the vehicle but with this great forum behind me I guess it is worth a shot!

Old 12-10-2013, 08:09 PM

Whalepirot thank you for your recommendation. Wallace754 wow man you definitely understand what I am going through. Sounds like your 750 is giving you a little more trouble than mine is. I think what I will be doing is replacing the HID light bulbs my left one is now very very purple and I am just waiting for it to go out. I also will replace the driver door actuator either DIY or pay the $418 the dealer wanted. My driver lock suddenly works... If anything else goes wrong in the next month or so then it is a sign to get rid of it. My problem with getting rid of it is this... I am 18 about to be 19 and although I have a great job in real estate I am in college as well. I have had three cars since I have gotten my license and I told myself I would actually keep this one more than a year... I love this car and driving it is great. If I can keep the car until Jan of 2015 I know I would be able to get the new 750 body style or the X6 like I mentioned above. I am still torn because I do owe around 25k on the car right now I can minimize the loss or break even in private sale. If I keep for a year then I know I will lose more. I looked at a 2012 mercedes e350 and just hated it when I drove it. Certainly not the seven even though it is new. I will keep updated as I get things done or decide to sell. For now thank you for all of your help and advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image (1).jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	411844  

Old 12-10-2013, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 06' 750Li/His 06' X5/Hers

Yeah, that light will go out soon. It's tough. I think in going to stick it out. There is not another car I want to drive out there at the moment...besides X6,Flying Spur. Jeez... What a dilemma with "This thing of ours".

Old 12-10-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace754 View Post
Yeah, that light will go out soon. It's tough. I think in going to stick it out. There is not another car I want to drive out there at the moment...besides X6,Flying Spur. Jeez... What a dilemma with "This thing of ours".

Couldn't agree more. It's a love hate relationship... One thing that's funny is the temperature has been below freezing here and the warning will come on regarding the outside temp. Everytime it does it my head shoots down thinking it's a fault... Life of a seven series owner

Old 12-11-2013, 05:25 AM

Mein Auto: 04 745Li
Re: Keep or trade? A lot of problems?

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. It's a love hate relationship... One thing that's funny is the temperature has been below freezing here and the warning will come on regarding the outside temp. Everytime it does it my head shoots down thinking it's a fault... Life of a seven series owner
+1

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-11-2013, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 750LI
Quote:
+1 as I definitely thought the same the other day. Since it started snowing here in MD, she will be washed as soon as the snow melts and covered for hibernate mode (winter mode...lool). I will start the car every now and then. I wish I had a garage..

Daily Driver: 02 Acura TL-S

Pleasure Drive: 08 BMW 750 LI

Previous Cars:
04 Dodge Intrepid - Wrecked
02 Cadillac Catera - Sold
98 Chrysler Sebring Conv - Sold
Old 12-11-2013, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: E65 750i Sport,C5 z51 e46
the light bulb swap couldn't be easier cmon guys. Ive dropped the bumper on a few 750's although I don't think its needed to change the hids? even so 1 hr should have them both done.
e46 328i Prem Aw18" 335spt whls(sold)
c5 Corvette 6sp,z51,2"drp,19"ccw'sshrt shft,corsa exh,dd nav
e53 X5 3.0, pana rf,nav,xenon,cldweather, premium.ipod hookup, 20"4.6rims staggered 315rrs.
e65 750I aw, sport. chrome21's,acs pdls,acs rfsplr,mtecs,8k hid fogs,Leds.oem ipod&sirius
Srt10 VIPER, 19-20" rennen forgedwheels,tune,exhaust,intake.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:05 AM

You guys will not believe this... So in addition to the lights starting to fail and the driver door I pulled the car out of the garage last night and found two puddles of what looks to be oil although I'm not sure. After pulling the car back in and letting it sit I go out this morning to a large puddle of what looks to be oil under the car. I called my service advisor and am at BMW now waiting to speak with him. Murphy's law. Cannot believe all of this in less than a week and right after hitting 75,000 miles. I am wondering if it has anything to do with getting the oil changed by desert BMW last week?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	412118  

Old 12-12-2013, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 760Li
looks like oil, it could be that the drain plug is leaking (common after oil changes) or the filter is leaking. I wouldn't be to concerned since it's only a little bit!
2010 Honda Accord Basque Red/Beige
Old 12-12-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
looks like oil, it could be that the drain plug is leaking (common after oil changes) or the filter is leaking. I wouldn't be to concerned since it's only a little bit!
Yeah hopefully it's just that most likely. Just getting annoyed haha. It would be nice if I didn't have to make a trip to BMW the last two weeks and pretty much once a month.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:50 AM

Could be loose drain plug or filter housing....... A slue of other possibilities. But I'd start with the those two items first.

'11 328i
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
Old 12-12-2013, 11:26 AM

Confirmed it is an oil leak in two places... One is at the timing valve cover the other is on the opposite side. Covered under warranty which is good but seriously this is ridiculous.