Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-10-2012, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan
Adaptive Light "Lazy Eye" issue

Hi.
I have a strange issue with my xenon adaptive lights on my 07 BMW 335 E90.
Starting up the car, the lights auto level (up and down, left and right) and adjust, but then the left one points all the way to the left while the right one is straight. The right one also follows the steering wheel while in A-Mode. The left one is just stuck pointing to the left.

I took the car to the dealer and they claimed the adaptive motor is broken and wanted $1900 to replace the entire light. But how can the motor be broken when I see the light go up&down, left&right when I start up the car.

Is there a way to reset or adjust the lens inside the light unit? This is entirely a lens issue, not any mechanic light adjustment issue. I have attached an image of the vehicle where you can see the left light lens pointing to the left.

Thank you! This a great resource for BMW knowledge!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw-e90.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	311818  
Ads by Google
Old 02-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
The Adaptive Light motor is a different motor from the self-leveling motor. I assume your car is out of warranty. Find a good BMW independent mechanic. I'm pretty sure the motor can be repaired or replaced without replacing the entire head light unit, but I'm not 100% certain. www.bimrs.org

Good luck. Update us on the outcome.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 02-11-2012, 05:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
THere is a manual adjustment but as the headlights are rather delicate I would suspect that the verticle adjustment stem has come away from the internal body. THe only way to fix it is to remove the headlight from the car and to try and clip it back in and maybe you need to glue it too.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Tastes like chicken

Mein Auto: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR
That's the 'Marty Feldman' option.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Mace

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dump View Post
That's the 'Marty Feldman' option.
Technically, it's listed by the BMW purchase manual as the Eyegore option. Reminds me that I took my car into the dealership to show them a hump in the sidewall of my tire. All they said was "what hump?"

YESTERDAY: '08 335i Coupe, Space Gray, Coral Red, Gray Poplar, 6-MT, ED 10 May '08.
TODAY: '11 M3 Convertible, Mineral White, Fox Red, Extended Leather, Carbon Leather, 6-MT, 19" Style 220M Wheels, EDC, EPS, ZP2, ZCV, ZCW. ED 29 Apr '11. PCD Re-delivery July 27.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbmw View Post
Hi.
Starting up the car, the lights auto level (up and down, left and right) and adjust, but then the left one points all the way to the left while the right one is straight. The right one also follows the steering wheel while in A-Mode. The left one is just stuck pointing to the left.

I took the car to the dealer and they claimed the adaptive motor is broken and wanted $1900 to replace the entire light. But how can the motor be broken when I see the light go up&down, left&right when I start up the car.

Is there a way to reset or adjust the lens inside the light unit? This is entirely a lens issue, not any mechanic light adjustment issue. I have attached an image of the vehicle where you can see the left light lens pointing to the left.

Holy Crap! I have the same issue but with the passenger side light. I tried both manual adjustments vertical and horizontal to no avail. Were you able to get this fixed?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
i just had to fix this on my car. a hard pothole hit can knock the lens off its pivot points. my drivers side lamp was off on the vertical adjustment, passenger side on the horizontal.

i took off the inner wheel well lining and opened the access panel on both sides. on the drivers side i needed to clip the servo back in. on the passenger side, i had to reseat the pivot back into its socket.
it might be easier to take the headlights off the car to fix.

took about an hour, but i didnt remove the headlights.

bmw quoted me 3800+ labor to fix it as they will not repair the headlamp, only replace as a whole.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 06-29-2012, 11:29 AM

interesting, i dont know what a servo is. Can you point out what number that is on the following diagram?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...18&hg=63&fg=05

Last edited by toicy4ya; 06-29-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Cobb-Powered N55

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by toicy4ya View Post
interesting, i dont know what a servo is. Can you point out what number that is on the following diagram?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...18&hg=63&fg=05
Part no. 4.

It's shown in picture 2 in the first post in this thread.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:09 PM

So i was able to work on my passenger side xenon this weekend. I am happy to report that i was able to snap the adjuster back into place and as a result the light appears to be working normally. However, while working on my xenon i noticed a white plastic piece that is connected to the top screw (where you adjust the aim) that was not attached to the black frame of the xenon. This piece appears as if it needs to be snapped into place as there is a socket directly in front of it. I tried wrestling with this for about an hour before i gave up. I dont see anyway of doing this successfully without fully removing the headlight. Please see the attached picture below, you will see the white plastic piece i am referring to near the top. If any one has any idea how to snap this piece into place successfully without removing the headlight, please let me know.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By
By

Later that evening i tested the lights and the xenon's appear to be working correctly. When i turn on the car on the lights auto aim. They also shift left to right according to the direction of the steering wheel. I was also able to aim the lights, see pictures below.

By

By

Last edited by toicy4ya; 07-02-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 3 Series
I think this happened to me recently. i just noticed that my passenger side lamp is pointing down drastically. It appears as though it has come off of its mount or something. My car is still under warranty, so I believe this is covered.

Was just seeing how many people have had this issue. this seems to be the only thread matching exactly what has happened to my car. I hit a large pothole a while back and it bulged my rear tire. I suspect this may have happened at the same time but I just hadn't noticed.

This is covered by warranty, is it not?

Attached is a picture of said headlight. (note image is rotated. Lamp is pointing down, not to the right.)

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headlamp.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	380353  

Last edited by gjimmy; 06-05-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: adding attached pic.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
The left light in the first picture looks very silly, once you see it, you can't unsee it.

Mine's a little odd as well, but points down, which I guess is a little less inconvenient then far left. Too much downwards that is...not the normal amount of down.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:33 PM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbmw View Post
Hi.

same thing happened to a buddy of mine, its an expensive fix

BMW CREE LED ANGEL EYES ALL BMW MODELS MTEC V3 V4 DTEC V6 V7 V8 V9 V10 NO ERROR
BMW ACCESSORIES and PARTS
BMW LED INTERIOR KITS
please PM/Email us for member discount/combo pricing
info@e92-lighting.com "e90post5" for 5% off as the promo code
Old 06-06-2013, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 3 Series
Is a dislodged headlamp covered by warranty?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjimmy View Post
Is a dislodged headlamp covered by warranty?
depends on how the dealer sees it... only way to find out is to bring it in.
in my case they felt that potholes were road hazards. much like how the regular warranty doesnt cover pothole damage to tires, they declined to cover the headlights.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 06-06-2013, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
I just went through this with the dealer. I have Platinum extended warranty. The headlight motor was not covered.

But you can bet I'm going to open up that panel and see if I can reconnect the linkage.

Frederic