engine temp too high drive moderately - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 745li
engine temp too high drive moderately

Hey guys I was waiting in a long line at McDonald's today and and while waiting the engine temp too high drive moderately light came on so I kept cutting my car off and on as I proceeded through to get my food I was only a couple blocks away from home. I made it home and let car sit for 15 minutes came out and drove a couple blocks and then let her sit idle for 25 minutes and light never came back on. My operating temp while idle fluctuated between 105c and 107c but never went higher. What could it be is my temp normal?
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2016, 03:49 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifizel3 View Post
Hey guys I was waiting in a long line at McDonald's today and and while waiting the engine temp too high drive moderately light came on so I kept cutting my car off and on as I proceeded through to get my food I was only a couple blocks away from home. I made it home and let car sit for 15 minutes came out and drove a couple blocks and then let her sit idle for 25 minutes and light never came back on. My operating temp while idle fluctuated between 105c and 107c but never went higher. What could it be is my temp normal?
there is a topic someplace in this section that discuss
the transmission temp sensor I think . Maybe use the
search feature for the topic , That might help you ...
Old 02-15-2016, 08:29 PM

I checked but didn't find nothing that can help me
Old 02-16-2016, 08:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 730d
in INPA under gearbox you can find a list of temperatures (switches) telling you how many times the gearbox got to any of the set temperatures - worth a check there to see if the gearbox clicked one of the high temps
Old 02-16-2016, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
there is a topic someplace in this section that discuss
the transmission temp sensor I think . Maybe use the
search feature for the topic , That might help you ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathat View Post
in INPA under gearbox you can find a list of temperatures (switches) telling you how many times the gearbox got to any of the set temperatures - worth a check there to see if the gearbox clicked one of the high temps
But he never said a transmission temp light came on. Are you suggesting that the trans temp sensor has something to do with the engine temp light he was talking about?
Old 02-16-2016, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540
Your electric fan is probably on the way out. If you can get the codes read with a real diagnostic scanner (not a generic OBD), it should have set a fault code for the electric fan. If that's the case, replace the fan, clear the fault, and have a nice day. If not, you need start by checking your coolant level, and check for leaks.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: 745iL
All he asked if the temp he noticed is normal.

Yes its normal. Fan turns on at 108C on my car and i have seen the same on other 745

I wonder why people are giving suggestions to take the car apart and replace everything that has nothing to do with question. Stop scaring the guy away
Old 02-17-2016, 06:03 PM

Did you read his post? He got a warning for the engine overheating!!! Obviously he wouldn't have gotten the warning if there wasn't a problem with the vehicle.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:19 AM

Yes, but the car isnt actually overheating is something he said as well. The problem is somewhere else thats kicking random codes like overheating
Old 02-19-2016, 05:17 PM

The car is overheating. Read again. He got the message for overheating. Then he parked for 25 minutes. He started it again and then watched the temp. And the temp was good, and he didn't get the message again. Components like the fan, or electric water pump (on other models) can work and not work intermittently. Indicating why he got the message once, and then not again later when he was actually monitoring the temp. Trust me. I've been fixing BMW'S exclusively for over 10 years.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:23 AM

Same operational temp that i have observed in few other 745's including my car and never got overheating warning light. As we know 745's or E65s/66 are particularly known to dodge common diagnosis practices. The problem is not caused by the component we believe it should but its somewhere else. You should have known this after 10 years of experience.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: e31.e38.e39.e65
temp

if it was my car i would first find out if it was actually over heating .. use a hand held thermal sensor ,, if it is over heating then its just a process of checking water pump cooling fan rad etc

if its not overheating but reporting that it is then i would suggest a sensor faulty
Old 02-20-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerKais View Post
Same operational temp that i have observed in few other 745's including my car and never got overheating warning light. As we know 745's or E65s/66 are particularly known to dodge common diagnosis practices. The problem is not caused by the component we believe it should but its somewhere else. You should have known this after 10 years of experience.
Reading comprehension fails you. If I'm reading his post correctly, at the time he got the warning, he was NOT monitoring the temp.

Later, after the engine cooled off, he WAS monitoring the temp. At this time, the temps were normal, and he did NOT get the overheat warning.

Am I right? Or am I the one missing something? I was pointing out about his fan because at the time he got the warning, it may not have been operational. And later when he was watching the temp, it may have been operating fine.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
Reading comprehension fails you. If I'm reading his post correctly, at the time he got the warning, he was NOT monitoring the temp.

Later, after the engine cooled off, he WAS monitoring the temp. At this time, the temps were normal, and he did NOT get the overheat warning.

Am I right? Or am I the one missing something? I was pointing out about his fan because at the time he got the warning, it may not have been operational. And later when he was watching the temp, it may have been operating fine.
10 years of experience and still feisty? Irony regarding reading comprehension is when he clearly said in the first post that it was 107C 'max' that has been observed but still the overheating warning lit up. If the fan was failing, it would have been gone kaput by now. It shudnt stop working and then start working like its new. Theres no magic BMW offers.

What did i say in response? I said, i observe max 108C (and sometimes 110C with AC on) but never had such warning light that stalled the car or whatever. Aux fan kicks in at 108C every time dead on and brings back temp to lowest possible i-e 103C (observed this like 50 times)

So NO, car isnt overheating. Its not the fan cause his car like mine never exceeds 107~110C mark cause fans are working or else there'd be higher temps observed. Capiche?

Someone with one year of fixing these cars would have had better understanding of these machines. Everything in life has failed you i guess.

Last edited by BimmerKais; 02-20-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:37 PM

Ok, read my post again, and read the original post. No where does he state he was monitoring the temps in the McDonald's drive through when the light came on. Therefore, he has no idea what the temp was when he got the overheating message! Nor do you! Do you not get that? He said he limped it home, let it cool, then idled for 25 minutes. He then states the temps were at 105-107. And the warning did not come on at these temps. Jeez man, come on. I'm not here to argue with someone. I'm trying to help the guy. He hasn't even been back on here to update his thread. A simple scan of the fault codes could easily clear it up. If he updated the thread, and said "yes, I was watching the coolant temp at the exact time the warning came on", then I would admit that I am wrong. But I dont think thats the case.

And yes, a sticking fan relay can work intermittently. Could be why he overheated once, then not the next time.

Last edited by White94RX; 02-20-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
Ok, read my post again, and read the original post. No where does he state he was monitoring the temps in the McDonald's drive through when the light came on. Therefore, he has no idea what the temp was when he got the overheating message! Nor do you! Do you not get that? He said he limped it home, let it cool, then idled for 25 minutes. He then states the temps were at 105-107. And the warning did not come on at these temps. Jeez man, come on. I'm not here to argue with someone. I'm trying to help the guy. He hasn't even been back on here to update his thread. A simple scan of the fault codes could easily clear it up. If he updated the thread, and said "yes, I was watching the coolant temp at the exact time the warning came on", then I would admit that I am wrong. But I dont think thats the case.

And yes, a sticking fan relay can work intermittently. Could be why he overheated once, then not the next time.
You need a hug? I saw the post before you edited it.

Everything will be fine.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:06 AM
Finally got a 7 Series!

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li Black/Black
How do you actually check your engine temp? 06' 750 Li.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:00 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 05' 760li,94' H1,08'Smart
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01_530i_4me View Post
How do you actually check your engine temp? 06' 750 Li.
Here you go...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=640712
Old 03-17-2016, 05:39 PM

Hey guys back again it happens again today and checked temp was at 113c until I turned ac on then went down to 105c so is it the electric fan I need check out??? I have no leaks coolant level is good thanks in advance guys
Old 03-18-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifizel3 View Post
Hey guys back again it happens again today and checked temp was at 113c until I turned ac on then went down to 105c so is it the electric fan I need check out??? I have no leaks coolant level is good thanks in advance guys
113C is too high. Operating temp in my E66 fluctuates between 105~108 and cooling fan kicks in at 108C. Only twice in last two months i have seen temp reaching 110C but it never went higher than that.

Also imo outside temp does regulates cooling fan's speed. I made a thread on this topic few days back. At any (outside) temp below 48C, N62 manages to keep temp fluctuating between 105~108C. Outside Temp sensor (on tach hidden menu) on my car has twice picked up 50C as ambient temp. From that point on the engine cools down really quickly as somehow fan speed doubles and what not.

Again, 113C in your case is high. You should get fan checked
Old 06-02-2017, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: E90 318ise
Same issue

I've a 2006 318ise (2.0) I had it was discovered a crack in the plastic upper thermostat housing, as I'd purchased aftermarket pump and thermostat and genuine replacement housing I had it all fitted as a matter of course.
The issue I'm having is engine temp intermittent but more often than not nr 120 and puts warning light on with fan at full speed, heater blows hot on demand.
However rad outlet is sitting at around 78 so a big difference, the radiator also seems cool to touch and even the air from the fans standing infron of the car is cold. Is it possible my rad is blocked?
Water addition had been added incase head gasket failure but there is no water loss at all so I'm think rad rather than faulty new parts?
Almost tempted to put the old pump (mechanical) and thermostat in just to see

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search