Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old Today, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: 530i 06
E65/E66 2007 750li Front thrust arms

Sorry no pics, but heres how I DIY'd my front thrust arms.

In a perfect world, this should be a one hour job per side. What happened to me though was a much longer ordeal, so thought I would post in case others encounter the same

So 2007 750li, new to me, with 124k on the clock. As far as I can tell, the control arms are original to the car. Never a good sign, so several things need to be replaced.

Symptoms: shimmy at speeds under 60 mph, an un-nerving rattle over slow bumps that appears to sound like its the strut mounts (by the way, its never the strut mounts unless they've been replaced! Often people forget to tighten down correctly)

Here we go.

Step 1 Remove corner splash guard. I took a few screws out from the insider fender liner, then removed the piece. Also removed the 'air-duct' type piece near the thrust arm bushing.
Step 2 Remove the ball joint nut. Now these are not like other BMWs in that you have to separate the ball joint. They are taper fit, so you just need to unscrew the nut and there is more than enough room. The DIYs I've seen are for other cars, and say you need to raise the strut up a bit. Not necessary in these cars.
You need to stick a T40 torx bit on the bolt, and use a 22mm wrench on the nut. Problem is....the torx bit broke off. The nut is on there incredibly tight! So, I had to cut a line in the bottom of the screw, and use a piece of angle iron to hold the nut while I unscrewed the nut. Took at least 3 hours, as getting a good fight was almost impossible. I used the angle/cutoff wheel to make a section on the edge of the steel that mimics a screwdriver, and finally got it off. Use propane torch intermittently. Finally, got it off.
Step 3 Removed bolt 18mm front bushing side. Leave the bolt in there tho until you remove the ball joint side
Step 4. Remove ball joint. There is enough clearance, just move it around til it comes out.

Remove bushing bolt, and R&R with new one. For the new one, getting the nut back on the balljoint takes a ton of effort also. The new one uses a 5mm hex, so using a 5mm hex socket, make sure to tap it in as deep as possible, otherwise you can strip it, as the amount of torque needed to get the nut on is herculean.

Hope this helps someone in the future

I posted this in another forum as well just incase anyone needs it. Hope thats OK
Advertisement
Old Today, 11:53 AM
Teenage Car Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
This fixed your shaking at 35+ and when you brake it pulls to one side???
My car is lowered new steering rack new rotors I just got it aligned and it's still pulling and shaking on highway

This Car Im Driving Make U Feel Some Type Of Way
@V1SUALZ Los Angeles car v1sualz company coming soon!
F*** a lease, drive a e65
Old Today, 03:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
^^^ Possibly a bent rim

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold )

For those like that love INK checkout join
Myinkedspace.com with my referral code and enjoy

http://myinkedspace.com/?ref=REF65900
Old Today, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 530i 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgucci745 View Post
This fixed your shaking at 35+ and when you brake it pulls to one side???
My car is lowered new steering rack new rotors I just got it aligned and it's still pulling and shaking on highway
yes, fixed the shimmy. pulling to one side could be is probably something else. keep in mind that the problem side is the opposite side that car pulls to. check sway bar bushings also