Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
Remote starter for a 2008 750i

This will be the first year I haven't "garaged" the car, so I was looking into the remote start option. I tried pressing the key fob 3 times and no luck. How can I determine if my car is equipped with remote start, but is not "connected"? If not, how can I have it installed such that I can use the key fobs to activate it? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2016, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 and 2016 i3s
Moved to E65 subforum.

Welcome to Bimmerfest!
Old 11-05-2016, 04:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 740i
I've retrofitted this on my car. You need to have a dedicated remote and pull a cable from your CAS to your remote receiver in the C Pillar. Let me know if you are interested in this and I'd be happy to give more details.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:24 PM

Please provide more info. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 7 e65 2005 fl
Hello, i have 730d fl, and a webasto with its remote, how can i do the remote start?? Please write the info, i cant find no where
Old 11-11-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by permituk View Post
I've retrofitted this on my car. You need to have a dedicated remote and pull a cable from your CAS to your remote receiver in the C Pillar. Let me know if you are interested in this and I'd be happy to give more details.

Don't forget it'll only work with 868mhz, so US and Canada 315mhz won't work at all. Just saying it'll cost a lot for the remote and money and time wasted.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:40 AM

I have 868mhz remote, that remote is working for webasto in the winter (now) ant for ventilation in the summer, but it will be more useful if the remote woulf start the car because in the summer the ventiliation is no good without AC running, and in the winter car would heat up faster when started than just webasto. So I cant find info what cable connect in the Cas with what cable in the antenna? Can someone tell the whole process in details??
Old 11-12-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proel View Post
I have 868mhz remote, that remote is working for webasto in the winter (now) ant for ventilation in the summer, but it will be more useful if the remote woulf start the car because in the summer the ventiliation is no good without AC running, and in the winter car would heat up faster when started than just webasto. So I cant find info what cable connect in the Cas with what cable in the antenna? Can someone tell the whole process in details??

In Lithuania??? Come on, they can do it in seconds and for cheap. You need to run that wire from cas to antenna amplifier.
Plus you need remote with 3 buttons I believe.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:40 AM

Yes I have that remote, in Lithuania our mechanics can only repair e36 or belarus not e65, but in what place i need to run that wire? I think cas and antenna amplifier has more than 1 connection
Old 11-24-2016, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motronic View Post
Don't forget it'll only work with 868mhz, so US and Canada 315mhz won't work at all. Just saying it'll cost a lot for the remote and money and time wasted.
This is spot on - thanks for calling that out. This pretty much excludes the retrofit for any country not using the 868mhz unless you're desperate and want to change all your receivers, your keys, CAS and DME...

However, if you're in Europe it's pretty straightforward - you run a wire from your alarm receiver in the C-pillar, Pin 7 to your CAS, pin 20

Then you code $539 to your VO, and code the DWA, IHKA, CAS and LMA.

Then you pair up your remote and job done!

This isn't my work, this is based on this thread: http://www.7-forum.com/forum/22/stan...rt-177426.html

Last edited by permituk; 11-24-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by permituk View Post
This is spot on - thanks for calling that out. This pretty much excludes the retrofit for any country not using the 868mhz unless you're desperate and want to change all your receivers, your keys, CAS and DME...

However, if you're in Europe it's pretty straightforward - you run a wire from your alarm receiver in the C-pillar, Pin 7 to your CAS, pin 20

Then you code $539 to your VO, and code the DWA, IHKA, CAS and LMA.

Then you pair up your remote and job done!

This isn't my work, this is based on this thread: http://www.7-forum.com/forum/22/stan...rt-177426.html

You are wrong DME and CAS don't care and don't know what frequency you're running, you only need to replace aerial amplifier for 315mhz, but then you need 315mhz keys or simply swap ews chip from your remote to European remote. Or if you don't care if your remote opens up your car, bc now you'll have remote start remote which also locks/unlocks.
But for me it was too much of a hassle, but doable of course.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:10 PM

Remote starter for a 2008 750i

Quote:
You are wrong DME and CAS don't care and don't know what frequency you're running, you only need to replace aerial amplifier for 315mhz, but then you need 315mhz keys or simply swap ews chip from your remote to European remote. Or if you don't care if your remote opens up your car, bc now you'll have remote start remote which also locks/unlocks.
But for me it was too much of a hassle, but doable of course.

Ah, healthy debate! I like it!

You are of course right that the CAS doesn't have a remote receiver as such. But - replacing your receiver means you need new keys - and unless you get new keys (unlikely I would say considering you'd have to convince BMW to send you specially coded keys in a different frequency than specified by your country) you'll need to sync used keys to your CAS - not really in the remit of most people - and a used CAS needs to be synced to a DME - not many people again that can sync it, hence these things are often sold together and even then not for the faint of heart.

Also you are wrong, remote start doesn't lock/ unlocks - it only works when the car is locked and alarm is active, after you start it you still need your remote to unlock your car and drive off. It would be somewhat of a security risk if you would unlock the car trying to cool it down inside (which is what this function is really about) while you finish up your (alcohol free) drink in a cafe in summer 100 yards away from your car.

This is clearly described in the user manual and I have it so I guess that gives me first hand insight in its workings

Last edited by permituk; 11-27-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: '05 745i / '10 X5 35d
I also like a bit of debate... technically the first USA spec cars came with 868 MHz remotes, though the attached campaign likely changed most of them to 315 MHz.

Quote:
So I could un-solder the EWS chip from the 3-button remote (61 31 6 917 816) and swap in one of my existing EWS ICs (or a new EWS IC)?

UPDATE: Looks like BMW calls SA539 "Independent Air Conditioning" per the attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SA539 Remote.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	583937  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SIB 660102 Service Action to Replace the Antenna Amplifier and Remotes.pdf (69.1 KB, 20 views)

E65/E66 Parts for Sale:
Alpina Type 743 Front Spoiler complete retrofit kit (new in box) $1200

Last edited by rippjd; 12-08-2016 at 08:44 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search