Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 730D 2006
P,R,N,D, E65/E66 GEARBOX PROBLEMs

I have a 92,000 mile 2006 730D which has been perfect until I was out driving in it today & when I stopped & tried to engage reverse to park it up it wouldn't go into gear & then I got a dreaded message saying gearbox problem & drive sedately to your nearest BMW garage.
I managed to get it home okay but it took a lot of revs to get it to move so is there any ideas on this first time problem or am I going to have a large financial problem on my hands.
Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2016, 06:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745LI
Get the error codes first, it will give you some indication of the problem. There is a lot of info here related to transmission and could be the Mechatronic Seal Adapter or solenoids.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=672967
Old 06-29-2016, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 730d
could be just a minor oil leak - not enough oil could do this! - can not think why you would have needed more revs though?
the best bet is to take it to the shop for a gearbox oil and filter change and get the mec seal done at the same time (the oil and filter is best changed at 100000miles anyway and the seal is easy done at the same time)

Last edited by mathat; 06-29-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:41 PM

P,R,N,D, E65/E66 GEARBOX PROBLEMs

Thank you for the reply's & I have plugged it into my diagnostics & it says
Error code: 507C Parking gear not correctly engaged &
4F81Ratio Monitoring, Clutch A
This come on totally out of the blue & it there had been no hint of trouble before & I simply drove 20 miles & when I stopped & went to reverse into the space it struggled to move as if the clutch was slipping & the dash warning says forward travel only in 3rd & 5th gear.
Thanks & I look forwards to more help.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:26 AM

P,r,n,dp e65/e66 gearbox issues

I have been looking up on the problems and it appears that it could possibly be the Mechatronics seal adapter because after I drove the 20 miles to home from when I first got the error code & I turned the car off to open the drive gates & when I started it up again & tried to select drive it kept going straight back into park & also the same when I tried reverse.
I have been on the forums & youtube for any hints to identify & to look for the parts & I have searched to find a Mechatronics adapter seal part in the UK & I cannot seem to find it only the sleeve seal so are they available & does anyone know an idea of what price it may be.
Thanks Again In Advance, Jim
Old 06-30-2016, 03:34 AM

take my advice - do it all while you are there - the oil and filter are the expensive bit (200) the seals are cheap - if you are doing it yourself it is quite a long job + another 300 to pay someone if you are not doing it!
it is not recommended to change the oil at all if you leave it over the 150000 ish miles as it does more damage than good - but you should do it every 80000 miles (not by BMW but if you read up about the gear box)
Old 06-30-2016, 03:44 AM

P,r,n,d, e65

Thank you for the info & I can do the work myself & I can find most of the right part but I am struggling to find the block seal so is it a dealer part or is there an external distributor who would sell them.
Thanks Jim
Old 06-30-2016, 06:38 AM

think I got my parts from JP (Automatic Transmissions) Ltd. www.jpat.co.uk
but I just got oil and filter
Old 06-30-2016, 07:15 AM

P.r,n,d, gearbox issues

That's appreciated so thank you for that & I gave them a ring but I need to identify which gearbox first to see whether they can help so I will keep people informed.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:46 AM

you will have to take the cover of to be sure - but you will have the ZF6HP26 if your car is the facelift (ok that's what I have - maybe there are others)
Old 06-30-2016, 07:51 AM

I was going to tell you to use the vin decoder
www etk.cc

but it tells me I have the GA6HP26Z gearbox which I don't think is correct - normally this is good for finding parts! not sure why it's wrong this time?

Last edited by mathat; 06-30-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: AC Schnitzer 745i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimBob View Post
That's appreciated so thank you for that & I gave them a ring but I need to identify which gearbox first to see whether they can help so I will keep people informed.
Read this thread here :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=839630

I posted links in my posts #5 and #9 in the above thread link to various info e.g. Mechatronics DIY....etc......basically everything you want to know about the Mechatronics ...lol

It also has the BMW Service Bulletin (PDF) for the exact fault that you posted above in your post #4 ....

Last edited by TechFreak; 06-30-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechFreak View Post
Read this thread here :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=839630

I posted links in my posts #5 and #9 in the above thread link to various info e.g. Mechatronics DIY....etc......basically everything you want to know about the Mechatronics ...lol

It also has the BMW Service Bulletin (PDF) for the exact fault that you posted above in your post #4 ....

it's a great pdf - although one question if you did this - 7. after repair the EGS adaption value must be cleared using the following path in ISTA/D: etc...
what program did you use to clear adaptations and did you get any precise instructions as I have heard resetting the wrong part will stop the gearbox from working (I have wanted to do this after doing my gearbox but have not yet found an exact safe set of instructions)
Old 07-13-2016, 05:10 AM

P,R,N,D GEARBOX PROBLEM SOLVED www.Jpat.co.uk

Thank you for the help & suggestions for my gearbox problems it was much appreciated & I have now repaired my car & it's working perfect like it was before the problem.
It was the Mechatronic's Bridge Seal that had split & stopped the car from going into go gear by going back into park repeatedly & when it did work I only had 3rd & 5th gears working due to the lack of oil pressure.
I struggled to find the parts as no-one seemed to have the parts but one call to: -JP (Automatic Transmissions) Ltd. www.jpat.co.uk & I had the parts I need on next day delivered by courier which was brilliant. I then spent a couple of hours putting it back & after filling the oil & going through the fill procedure it was all sorted.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search