Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
replaced alternator, however abs light, traction control light, and parking brake

ok so i recently bought my 2002 BMW 745i and i love it it really is a nice luxury car.

However shortly after buying it, i was driving for a while, i was in the middle of a 2 hour trip when all of the sudden the abs, traction control, and parking brake light went on.. shortly after this the speakers started cutting out.. then next thing i know there are a ton of different dummy lights popping up in my face including "transmission failsafe" i pull over and turn the car off, and it wouldn't start back up.

shortly after this incident i came to the conclusion that it was either my battery or alternator. after replacing the battery, the same thing happened. I then had a parts store test the alternator and it was bad. i was able to find a cheap part and a cheap yet good mechanic and to make a very long story short i got the alternator replaced.

however after driving it home from the mechanics the same sort of thing started to happen.. the abs, traction control, and park brake lights came on so i immediately pulled into a parts store and got the alternator tested. both the battery and alternator passed and were deemed good. this confuses me because i assumed that this meant the beginning of the newly put in alternator being bad. any advice on what this could be?
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2017, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 E66
Checkout your IVM. It is a power distribution board with relays that resides in the E-box. The e-box is where the DME is located. Under the hood on right side under the micro filter. Search this site for IVM, there should be many threads.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggreg View Post
Checkout your IVM. It is a power distribution board with relays that resides in the E-box. The e-box is where the DME is located. Under the hood on right side under the micro filter. Search this site for IVM, there should be many threads.

That definitely seems like it could be it, thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 03-05-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggreg View Post

Any idea how I could check to see if it's good or bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
abs, alternator, battery, code, parking break, scan, traction control, transmission failsafe

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search