Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 E66 745Li
Many thanks Stuart
Old 04-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Gadget760Li

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadget760Li
Mein Auto: BMW 760Li
I have been on eBay and have an item number is this the item i need to do the retro fit

Ebay Item No 180709221029
Old 04-20-2012, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget760Li View Post
I have been on eBay and have an item number is this the item i need to do the retro fit

Ebay Item No 180709221029
Hi Gadget760Li,

That TCU is an AMPS variant, are you in the US? My retrofit was using a GSM unit. I also believe this may not be the full bluetooth version, i.e. it only works with the BMW bluetooth phone, I may be wrong but the date is quite early (2005/6).

May be worth emailing the seller to see if he has any more info.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Gadget760Li

Tcu

Hi
No I'm in the UK, had a 02 745i and just brought the 760Li 04 but the Bluetooth handset isn't registering and really can't be bothered to go to BMW to sort it. Read your post and I'm really impressed. I was thinking something. Is there a way to keep the original setup but upgrade the TCU to link up to whatever phone you have in the car. It only really needs to read the directory and allow you to dial from it using the SIM network in the car which would be a stronger signal than you phone which is shielded by the cars surroundings (a signal loss of about -10dB)
Could you point me into the right direction of where to purchase the TCU please
Old 04-20-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget760Li View Post
Hi
No I'm in the UK, had a 02 745i and just brought the 760Li 04 but the Bluetooth handset isn't registering and really can't be bothered to go to BMW to sort it. Read your post and I'm really impressed. I was thinking something. Is there a way to keep the original setup but upgrade the TCU to link up to whatever phone you have in the car. It only really needs to read the directory and allow you to dial from it using the SIM network in the car which would be a stronger signal than you phone which is shielded by the cars surroundings (a signal loss of about -10dB)
Could you point me into the right direction of where to purchase the TCU please
Hi, well it depends on what system you already have installed. As you are in the UK you will need a GSM TCU.

GSM units hav an IMEI number on the label, as far as I know for full bluetooth functionality you need a TCU that has MOST 1.5 ECE on the label, if you see my earlier posts the label of the unit I have has an error! where the IMEI number is labeled as an ESN (just to confuse you!) If you have an 04 plate then you will have to upgrade the MMI iDrive display if you haven't already done so. The new TCU is not compatible with the older pre-facelift MMI.

To obtain the gain in signal strength you need to also install the phone cradle in the arm rest. I havent done this yet, I may get round to it in future, I have transmission issues at the moment!

I will try to help as much as possible, remember there are some TCU's that are kind of universal, they are used on many of the model range, thats the one I have. There is a post a few pages back that gives a list of compatible E65 TCU's search these on eBay but make sure you get a GSM one!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:57 AM
Gadget760Li

Tcu

Thanks for your support I'll look into this and try to get the correct TCU from eBay plus the MMI. I will post my results on the site once I'm complete.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:28 AM

Mein Auto: 750i sport
HI

stuartjohn24

Do I need to remove $638S(638A CAR TELEPHONE PROFESSIONAL) from FA
I have this phone in drawer, and bluetooth connecting only with this phone
I`m already add $633 removed $638 changed MMIGT and also in TCUM but wont work I reckon need different module as yours i have at the moment 84116946328
cheers
Old 05-01-2012, 03:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to CrashOverrideSE Send a message via AIM to CrashOverrideSE Send a message via MSN to CrashOverrideSE Send a message via Yahoo to CrashOverrideSE Send a message via Skype™ to CrashOverrideSE
Mein Auto: E65 735i
Hi 7-Drivers,

i done it all today, but reading or conding with NCS dosent Work my TCU has Codierindex 21 end of 2007 any Idea's. My Phone found the TCU and in the MMi it Works like a Chamre only Paring is Impossible.

best regards
Old 05-01-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masa52 View Post
HI

stuartjohn24

Do I need to remove $638S(638A CAR TELEPHONE PROFESSIONAL) from FA
I have this phone in drawer, and bluetooth connecting only with this phone
I`m already add $633 removed $638 changed MMIGT and also in TCUM but wont work I reckon need different module as yours i have at the moment 84116946328
cheers
Hi,

Yep, looks like the TCU is the older bluetooth unit that only supports the phone supplied in the drawer. You will need a TCU 1.5 MOST ECE unit.

When attempting to code remove VO options for the original phone and add $633 (for ECE bluetooth prep) do a dummy change and dont actually write this VO to the CAS/LMA

You will most likely need to edit the production date too so that NCS loads the correct daten files for the new TCU.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashOverrideSE View Post
Hi 7-Drivers,

i done it all today, but reading or conding with NCS dosent Work my TCU has Codierindex 21 end of 2007 any Idea's. My Phone found the TCU and in the MMi it Works like a Chamre only Paring is Impossible.

best regards
Whats the part number of the TCU you have fitted? You will need to make some dummy changed to the VO so that NCS can communicate with the new TCU. I am getting alot of questions about this, I will compile a more detailed DIY on this subject in the week.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to CrashOverrideSE Send a message via AIM to CrashOverrideSE Send a message via MSN to CrashOverrideSE Send a message via Yahoo to CrashOverrideSE Send a message via Skype™ to CrashOverrideSE
Hey stuartjohn24

84.109171347-01 its from 21.08.2007

i hope you can help :-)
Old 05-02-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
do a dummy change and dont actually write this vo to the cas/lma.
hi stuartjohn24 thanks for answer
could you explain what mean "dummy change"
and also why not write to FA car? I did this already
I`m bought this unit 9174261 waiting for delivery.

cheers
Old 05-02-2012, 06:02 AM

So it Works,

After a Reflash with WinKFP the Unit Works very well. But BMW Assist dosent Work anymore. I have coded SA633 on aktive in NAV but is it Grey any ideas ?.

bet regards
Old 05-03-2012, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 750i
So I finally found the time today to make the TCU transplant. True to the well proven principle of nothing ever being as easy as one hopes for, of course it was not a plug and play affair.

My car is a 750i built on Feb 28, 2005 so an early facelift car and it had the crippled Bluetooth TCU (p/n 84.11 6946328-01) manufactured in Feb '05.

Because of this I expected the new TCU to just drop in - which it did not. I had already checked that the old TCU had a 54-pin connector. So I expected the 54-pin plug on the car end to easily plug into the TCU - but as it turned out the new TCU's 54-pin receptacle is just a little bit different. The guide tracks for the plug are a little bit narrower on one end, which stopped the car's connector from being pushed all the way down. I did not realize this because the difference is so small that you won't see it unless you know about it, so I just figured I needed a little more force. With the result that I broke off the little white locking lever on the plug.

Rather than attack the TCU's connector with a knife, I slid the two contact blocks out of the cover and pressed them directly onto the pins. Now I just hope the pinout is the same and just the connectors different.

Also the new TCU has four antenna connectors while the old only had 2 (black and white). I matched the colors with the new TCU. What are the other 2 for and do I need them?

I ran out of time so I haven't done any coding. Right now the Communications display in the MMI looks just like it did before, with most selections grayed out, and it just says "NO NETWORK!"

I suspect (hope) this is just because the MMI still expects to see the old TCU because the old SA638 option is still in the VO. I just hope the TCU pinouts are the same so I don't have to take the trunk apart again and rebuild the connector.

At least the new TCU has power, because the MOST connector (which is the same) lit up red. So the power part of the pinout seems to be the same.

So any suggestions about what my next step should be would be greatly appreciated...

Sorry about the awful pictures, my phone is all scratched up right where the lens is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1596[1].jpg
Views:	165
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	323464   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1600[1].jpg
Views:	183
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	323465   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1597[1].jpg
Views:	145
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	323466  

Last edited by politby; 05-03-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 AM

Back from the car after I tried to read the new TCU and it didn't go all that well.

If I try to read it with INPA I get an error message about finding a TELE60_3 unit while epecting a TELE60_2. Makes sense and confirms that there is at least a communications link present.

I then made a "fake" change of the production date to #0904, and removing option 638 and adding 633. I then read the MMI and the trace confirmed TEL_BLUETOOTH and BLUETOOTH_HANDY are set to active (I had coded the MMI previously).

But when I try to read the TCU the job runs for maybe 30 seconds and then throws an error referring to the wrong coding index. I tried C03 first, then C06. C03 is what NCS put up in the dialog box - I guess that's what it wants to use based on the FA?

Any suggestions? I haven't changed the VIN of the TCU yet, could that be the problem?

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Bimmer App
Old 05-03-2012, 11:22 AM

hi
are you sure that production date is correct? 0904?
and also NCS is setted right? does it connect with other stuff in the car?did you update SP-Daten?
I can send you my NCS which is working fine for me
I reckon VIN is not important, but should be changed using tool 32

cheers
Old 05-03-2012, 11:34 AM

I got the 0904 date from a post on this thread but I just realized maybe that is September 04, not April 09. Forgot if it's MMYY or YYMM.

I have used NCS to successfully code the MMI (e.g. VIM) so I know it works. It also both read and coded the MMI today using the 0904 production date, it's just the new TCU it will not read.

I assume NCS communicates with the TCU over the MOST network, so even if the 54-pin connector is not wired right they should communicate since I know the TCU has power and its MOST is active.

Please share your NCS setup, much appreciated!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:40 AM

MMYY
will send you tomorrow
PM yours email
try to use WINKFP RE-FLASH SOFTWARE AND TRY CHANGE VIN

Last edited by masa52; 05-03-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post
I got the 0904 date from a post on this thread but I just realized maybe that is September 04, not April 09. Forgot if it's MMYY or YYMM.

I have used NCS to successfully code the MMI (e.g. VIM) so I know it works. It also both read and coded the MMI today using the 0904 production date, it's just the new TCU it will not read.

I assume NCS communicates with the TCU over the MOST network, so even if the 54-pin connector is not wired right they should communicate since I know the TCU has power and its MOST is active.

Please share your NCS setup, much appreciated!
Thats correct, you will need to use a newer production date, try #0307.

Yes the TCU is coded via the MOST bus via the central gateway module, which in turn communicates to the OBD interface.

Well done on getting it fitted! you may need to change the chassis info like mine, depends on what BMW it was salvaged from.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
MMYY
will send you tomorrow
PM yours email
try to use WINKFP RE-FLASH SOFTWARE AND TRY CHANGE VIN
Why are you re-flashing the module? VIN can be changed in Tool32 using the FG_Schreiben job in the TELE60_3.prg file.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
hi stuartjohn24 thanks for answer
could you explain what mean "dummy change"
and also why not write to FA car? I did this already
I`m bought this unit 9174261 waiting for delivery.

cheers
Hi, I guess you have answered a few of these questions by now, Dummy change is edit the VO but without writing it to the CAS or LMA.

Why not??? I bricked my original LMA while writing the VO! low system voltage, be warned! just retrofitting an LM2 at the moment.

Hope the retrofit goes well!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:16 AM

Progress!

I managed to read the TCU today by changing production date to #0307 and changing the index from C02, which NCS wanted to use, to C03.

It resulted in the following trace file:

** Trace File Removed as it was locking up the thread **

It has the two bluetooth parameters set to active but the MMI would still keep looking for the old TCU and I had no phone fuctions at all.

I then connected to the TCU with Tool32 and found I could run all the read jobs successfully, so I decided to see if my iPhone could see the car, and to my surprise it did. I initiated a pairing from the phone, which completed instantly!

This brought the comms screen on the MMI partly to life, and I can now make and receive calls using the popout keypad, the hands free works perfectly, the iDrive displays the name of my iPhone, signal strength, caller ID, etc.

What I do not have is any of the menu items corresponding to the new phone system. There is no pairing menu, only a non-functional "Bluetooth" item in the settings menu, and none of the Missed, Last, A-Z etc selections work. And of course no phone book synchronization.

So what is obviously the case is that the TCU works and talks to the keypad, microphone, etc. but the MMI still expects to talk to the old model TCU. Could this be because the TCU still has the donor car's VIN?

Or maybe it is because the (facelift) MMI is still coded at the C02 level and ignores the Bluetooth parameters? How can I fix this? Simply changing the number in the popup box won't work.

Can someone look at these traces and see if I have missed anything?

Is it safe to write the new VIN to the TCU using Tool32? How long does that code take (afraid of running into the low battery issue)?
Old 05-05-2012, 12:37 AM

Dummy post to see if I can "unlock" the thread

Test
Old 05-05-2012, 04:48 AM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
Test post
Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 05-05-2012, 01:08 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
Testing

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up