Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #526  
Old 10-26-2014, 10:29 PM
hugo_za hugo_za is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 148
Mein Auto: E65 740i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
I'm not sure why your asking again ???

But yes you need to upgrade your TCU ...

I am asking if a control unit with the part number 9138168 would be the correct one. RealOEM says that its for option 633.

Just want to make sure that 633 is what needs to be added to my VO to replace 638 and to get bluetooth working.

Thanks for all your help.
Reply With Quote
  #527  
Old 10-26-2014, 10:52 PM
PAPER's Avatar
PAPER PAPER is online now
CRISP & CLEAN
Location: on the moon
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,008
Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_za View Post
I am asking if a control unit with the part number 9138168 would be the correct one. RealOEM says that its for option 633.

Just want to make sure that 633 is what needs to be added to my VO to replace 638 and to get bluetooth working.

Thanks for all your help.
that part # come's back as a 2005 early 2006 TCU .
I assume you read the topic stating what year you
should look for when your upgrading ???

In regards to 633 or 638 =
All the answers are in this topic , PLEASE take the
time to read it . & if you have read from page 1 , Then
maybe you need to read it again more carefully .
The VO info is mentioned in here several times , Sorry
but I don't have the time to go back to page 1 & find it for you .
you will have to do that yourself .

You should try finding a TCU from an 07 to 08 to be on the safe side

Last edited by PAPER; 10-26-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #528  
Old 10-30-2014, 10:48 AM
permituk permituk is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2005 740i
Ok, quick question for the experts here. I purchased a unit of eBay and installed it in my car. While fully expecting to need to do some coding I tried it after install and found that my communications section in idrive has now completely changed with all the call history stuff etc available. Also in settings it has the pairing function. When in pairing mode my iPhone 6 sees the car and asks for a pairing code but when I enter the code found on the TCU (PK right?) it says it couldn't pair.

My question now is whether or not this is because of coding or because I need to do something else.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #529  
Old 10-30-2014, 11:20 AM
B11NOV B11NOV is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: E65 730D
Quote:
Originally Posted by permituk View Post
Ok, quick question for the experts here. I purchased a unit of eBay and installed it in my car. While fully expecting to need to do some coding I tried it after install and found that my communications section in idrive has now completely changed with all the call history stuff etc available. Also in settings it has the pairing function. When in pairing mode my iPhone 6 sees the car and asks for a pairing code but when I enter the code found on the TCU (PK right?) it says it couldn't pair.

My question now is whether or not this is because of coding or because I need to do something else.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Yes it's likely to be lack of coding. The PK code is the paring code.
Reply With Quote
  #530  
Old 10-30-2014, 11:23 AM
permituk permituk is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2005 740i
Ok, this will take a lot longer than the install :-)
Reply With Quote
  #531  
Old 10-30-2014, 04:10 PM
B11NOV B11NOV is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: E65 730D
Quote:
Originally Posted by permituk View Post
Ok, this will take a lot longer than the install :-)
As long as the TCU is suitable for the car, it shouldn't take too long to get it coded.
When I did mine, I got a TCU from E70 first, although the connector was the same, I couldn't get it work, it wouldn't pair. Second attempt I got one TCU for E65, and got it coded straight away and paired with my phone with no problem.
One thing I noticed was that, with the first TCU from E70, when I activated the paring option on MMI, those three little squares on the top of the screen wasn't flashing. But with the second TCU it's different, in paring mode those little squares were flashing altogether. I'm not 100% sure but I think that would give you some kind of hint if the unit is compatible.

Hope it helps. Good luck with the coding, it looks a lot more complicated than it actually is.

Have you got all the software setup by the way?
Reply With Quote
  #532  
Old 10-30-2014, 04:19 PM
B11NOV B11NOV is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: E65 730D
Yes you'll need a TCU for 633, 638 is for the setup with phone in front drawer, you would need to remove 638 from VO and add 633.

Last edited by B11NOV; 10-30-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #533  
Old 10-30-2014, 04:21 PM
B11NOV B11NOV is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: E65 730D
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_za View Post
I am asking if a control unit with the part number 9138168 would be the correct one. RealOEM says that its for option 633.

Just want to make sure that 633 is what needs to be added to my VO to replace 638 and to get bluetooth working.

Thanks for all your help.
Yes you'll need a TCU for 633, 638 is for the setup with phone in front drawer, you would need to remove 638 from VO and add 633.
Reply With Quote
  #534  
Old 10-30-2014, 04:54 PM
permituk permituk is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2005 740i
I got the software with the cable but having issues with it. The lights do flash up during pairing so that's all good. Figuring out the software is a bit of a pain.
Reply With Quote
  #535  
Old 10-30-2014, 05:29 PM
B11NOV B11NOV is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: E65 730D
Quote:
Originally Posted by permituk View Post
I got the software with the cable but having issues with it. The lights do flash up during pairing so that's all good. Figuring out the software is a bit of a pain.
Yes getting the software running can be quite a bit of hassle, on my setup INPA is still not working properly, luckily Tool32 and NCS Expert are working fine. I'm thinking of getting a small laptop just for coding the car.
Good luck anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #536  
Old 11-03-2014, 01:24 AM
permituk permituk is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2005 740i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
Once the TCU is fitted the MMI will most likely need coding, see the posts before about doing this if you are having errors, as per PAPER's instructions set:

TEL_BLUETOOTH
AKTIV

and

BLUETOOTH_HANDY
AKTIV

You should now have the 'Phone' option in the 'Settings' menu. Select the 'Phone' menu, my screen showed the following (paired phones from the donor car) select and delete all entries.

Enable bluetooth on your phone, select 'Pairing' on the menu and you should see a device appear on your phone in the format 'BMW XXXXX' where XXXXX is the last 5 digits of the VIN of the car the TCU came from.

when prompted enter the pass key found on the TCU, if it pairs your in luck!

If like me, yours dosent, follow these instructions:

Open Tool32, then TELE60_3.prg and write your VIN including the check digit using the FG_Schreiben function.

Next open up NCS expert, you will more than likely need to modify your FA vehicle order code to get NCS to code the unit properly, to do this see previous posts, I used date code 0306, mine threw an error as an option was not valid for that year, delete the one causing the error, and add $633 for bluetooth TCU. (dont actually write the FA to the car though! VERY important!)

Now read the TCU, it should dump the trace file to your WORK folder, open with NCS Dummy flick through the options there and change anything you need to. mine was from an E61 so i changed it to E65. re coded and it works!


Hope this helps!

Stuart
Ok, I think I'm at the point now where I need help again...

So, I've got a facelift (06-05 build) 740i

I bought a TCU of eBay and fitted it over the weekend. My car already had the correct(ish) plug (I had to change the guides a bit so they would fit)

As soon as I installed it the phone function became active in my MMI but like Stuart's post I couldn't pair my phone to the thing.

I then hooked up Tool32 and changed the VIN which was successful and changed the Bluetooth name of the device.

Then I went into NCS and updated the VO (without writing) and tried reading the TCU which it wouldn't do. I got some error messages saying that it was different diagnostic protocols or something.

Strangely, the other options in NCS do work, so i can reset, enable or disable bluetooth etc... just not read.

My unit does come from an E60 but I have no idea if that has any bearing on coding or indeed how to change this.

Interestingly in tool 32 there is a pair using 1234 (paraphrasing here) option which I used and it seems to override the usual pairing process and allows you to pair using pairing code 1234 instead of the PK code. This did connect the phone and it actually worked (downloaded address book etc...) but it was patchy and for some reason I couldn't end the call. Anyway, I could only pair a device this way using Tool32 which isn't really ideal but it did show that it can work.

I also have an SOS system failure which only came up when I replaced the TCU, any guidance on this would be useful also, even if it is to tell me how to turn it of!

I'm in your knowledgeable hands here!
Reply With Quote
  #537  
Old 11-03-2014, 06:36 AM
B11NOV B11NOV is offline
Registered User
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: E65 730D
Quote:
Originally Posted by permituk View Post
Ok, I think I'm at the point now where I need help again...

So, I've got a facelift (06-05 build) 740i

I bought a TCU of eBay and fitted it over the weekend. My car already had the correct(ish) plug (I had to change the guides a bit so they would fit)

As soon as I installed it the phone function became active in my MMI but like Stuart's post I couldn't pair my phone to the thing.

I then hooked up Tool32 and changed the VIN which was successful and changed the Bluetooth name of the device.

Then I went into NCS and updated the VO (without writing) and tried reading the TCU which it wouldn't do. I got some error messages saying that it was different diagnostic protocols or something.

Strangely, the other options in NCS do work, so i can reset, enable or disable bluetooth etc... just not read.

My unit does come from an E60 but I have no idea if that has any bearing on coding or indeed how to change this.

Interestingly in tool 32 there is a pair using 1234 (paraphrasing here) option which I used and it seems to override the usual pairing process and allows you to pair using pairing code 1234 instead of the PK code. This did connect the phone and it actually worked (downloaded address book etc...) but it was patchy and for some reason I couldn't end the call. Anyway, I could only pair a device this way using Tool32 which isn't really ideal but it did show that it can work.

I also have an SOS system failure which only came up when I replaced the TCU, any guidance on this would be useful also, even if it is to tell me how to turn it of!

I'm in your knowledgeable hands here!


When you get the error with NCS Expert, would it be related to coding index by any chance? One problem I encountered was that my Daten file was not up to date, after updating it to the latest version (50.2 I think), it read the TCU fine.

I think you need to change the TCU from E60 to E65, that can be done with NCS Expert when you can read the unit.

You can set the pairing code to anything you like with Tool32.

As with the SOS system failure, I solved it by following instructions on the thread, deactivated Backup Loudspeaker.

Hope the info is useful to you. This is a very long thread, but try to read it through, all the information is covered here already.

Cheers.

Last edited by B11NOV; 11-03-2014 at 06:36 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #538  
Old 12-21-2014, 03:27 AM
2FASTFURIOUS 2FASTFURIOUS is offline
Registered User
Location: Türkiye
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 35
Send a message via MSN to 2FASTFURIOUS
Mein Auto: '03 745LI
hi Guys, i succesfully retrofitted bluetooth TCU to my car and paired with my cell without any problem. Now i have 2 problems;

1) My phone keypad sideo of the ask unit doesnt work anymore?? (TEL ece, bluetooth, bluetooth handy all active)

2) Sos common failure when starting the car. As i read the thread from start to end many times, sorry i couldnt find the TCU module to deactivate the Backupl oudspeaker and backup antenna? Can some body clearly identify where the hell is that module?

Thanks is advance.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms