Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: E65 730D
I think that might be the cause. I originally bought a TCU with part number 9224422, took quite a while and couldn't get it to work, checked and found out that was for E70, so I searched for another one based on the info from RealOEM, and bought one with part number 9149615, and it worked straight away. If you can find another for reasonable price, I would say go for it.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:10 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E65
Your part number 9149615 is on the E65 LCI TCU list
Thanks for confirmation
I will post you when i get one of them from the list
Will be in touch
Old 04-27-2015, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 320d
Hello

does the '06 TCUM module work on '02 E65?

I retrofitted one, added option $633, then deleted $630, i can see the TCUM in the list of modules, and I can code it, the problem is when I code MMIGT it doesn't show the bluetooth menu, it shows the old menu for $630 option menu..

Maybe the MMI it's too old and doesn't have a bluetooth menu for TCUM ?

What can I do?
Old 05-17-2015, 08:18 AM

You have to change MMI if your car is before 03.2003 for newer
Old 05-17-2015, 12:31 PM

I changed MMI with new one 06.2003 , I have bluetooth option in Settings, but when I try to click on it, it doesn't do nothing, doesn't work.. I changed also the year from VO to 0904 and coded MMIGT but bluetooth button in settings doesn't do nothing when I press on it.

what is wrong ?
Old 05-17-2015, 01:11 PM

My bluetooth is EVEREST E65 ECE 09.2006 production date...
Old 05-19-2015, 01:25 PM

BLUETOOTH TCU modul must be named TCU 1.5 MOST ECE NO EVEREST
You need change TCU if you have other one

Last edited by mareks; 05-19-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: E65 750i
Hey guys,

the informations in this thread were very helpful to me! After reading all of the posts several times i did the retrofit and succeeded!!
I just wanna tell you guys all of the steps i was going through, including some new coding-settings i discovered to deactivate the SOS-System-Failure-Message, maybe it helps someone...

So my car is a facelift e65 750i with the very early production date of February 2005. It also had the option $638 with the bluetooth-telephone in the cradle.
The TCU 1.5 i purchased has the BMW number: 84109149615 with the production date 26.03.2007. this tcu was previously installed in a bmw e60. My MMI-Firmware was luckily already up-to-date.
So here we start with the steps i did:

Mechanical Replacement

1. Because i have a facelift e65 i just replaced the old tcu with the new one. I had to cut the edges of the plug so it could fit in the new tcu (see Post #554 - very good summary of necessary steps!!). I also had to cut a notch into the mounting-plate, to give more space to the antenna connector. I did not disconnect the cradle in the center console! So this was the easy part.

Software Modifications

2. At first i changed with ToolSet32 the VIN of the module with the command "c_fg_schreiben" (mentioned often in previous posts). I did not change any production date.

3. By using NCSExpert i replaced my VO $638 with the VO $633 and coded it into the ECUs CAS and LMA by using the job "FA_WRITE".

3. After that i coded the MMI with NCSExpert with the following options (mentioned often in previous posts, for example #297, i'm sorry if i don't quote correctly )
TEL_BLUETOOTH
AKTIV
BLUETOOTH_HANDY
AKTIV
ECE_TELEFON
aktiv
HARDKEY_ASK
aktiv

4. Then i coded the new TCU-module (TCU15MOS.C13) with NCSExpert and changed the following options:
BORDNETZ
e65_bordnetz
BACKUP_ANTENNA
nicht_aktiv
BACKUP_LOUDSPEAKER
nicht_aktiv

5. After that i could successful pair my iphone 4s and had full bluetooth functionality. BUT i still had the SOS-System-Failure - Message!! The source of the failure-message was located in the SIM-ECU (NCSExpert)
So i read with NCSExpert the trace-file the SIM-ECU and found some interesting options to deactivate. I set the following options:
UBERWACH_TELEFON
nicht_aktiv
VERBAU_TELEFON
nicht_verbaut

After coding and restart of the car the SOS-Failure-Message was gone!! Maybe this information helps someone out there

Thank you again for the very useful information!!
Old 05-22-2015, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: E65 730D
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeriedl View Post
Hey guys,

the informations in this thread were very helpful to me! After reading all of the posts several times i did the retrofit and succeeded!!
I just wanna tell you guys all of the steps i was going through, including some new coding-settings i discovered to deactivate the SOS-System-Failure-Message, maybe it helps someone...

So my car is a facelift e65 750i with the very early production date of February 2005. It also had the option $638 with the bluetooth-telephone in the cradle.
The TCU 1.5 i purchased has the BMW number: 84109149615 with the production date 26.03.2007. this tcu was previously installed in a bmw e60. My MMI-Firmware was luckily already up-to-date.

Mechanical Replacement

1. Because i have a facelift e65 i just replaced the old tcu with the new one. I had to cut the edges of the plug so it could fit in the new tcu (see Post #554 - very good summary of necessary steps!!). I also had to cut a notch into the mounting-plate, to give more space to the antenna connector. I did not disconnect the cradle in the center console! So this was the easy part.

Software Modifications

2. At first i changed with ToolSet32 the VIN of the module with the command "c_fg_schreiben" (mentioned often in previous posts). I did not change any production date.

3. By using NCSExpert i replaced my VO $638 with the VO $633 and coded it into the ECUs CAS and LMA by using the job "FA_WRITE".

3. After that i coded the MMI with NCSExpert with the following options (mentioned often in previous posts, for example #297, i'm sorry if i don't quote correctly )
TEL_BLUETOOTH
AKTIV
BLUETOOTH_HANDY
AKTIV
ECE_TELEFON
aktiv
HARDKEY_ASK
aktiv

4. Then i coded the new TCU-module (TCU15MOS.C13) with NCSExpert and changed the following options:
BORDNETZ
e65_bordnetz
BACKUP_ANTENNA
nicht_aktiv
BACKUP_LOUDSPEAKER
nicht_aktiv

5. After that i could successful pair my iphone 4s and had full bluetooth functionality. BUT i still had the SOS-System-Failure - Message!! The source of the failure-message was located in the SIM-ECU (NCSExpert)
So i read with NCSExpert the trace-file the SIM-ECU and found some interesting options to deactivate. I set the following options:
UBERWACH_TELEFON
nicht_aktiv
VERBAU_TELEFON
nicht_verbaut

After coding and restart of the car the SOS-Failure-Message was gone!! Maybe this information helps someone out there

Well done !!
Old 05-23-2015, 04:21 PM

Old 06-01-2015, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 740i
Thanks to all the contributors on this post! I've just chucked my E60 TCU as there was no way of getting it coded and got an e65 one. I followed freeriedl's instructions to the t and it works like a charm! I now have Bluetooth phone and through my dension 500s bt now also have Bluetooth audio streaming. The transition between the two is seamless! Thanks again everyone.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:32 AM

Send a message via MSN to 2FASTFURIOUS
Mein Auto: '03 745LI
So the one here with problems is only me i think. the keypad do not work? May the bluetooth module be from another BMW that do not have keypad?
Old 06-05-2015, 02:29 AM

Send a message via MSN to 2FASTFURIOUS
Mein Auto: '03 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeriedl View Post
Hey guys,

Mechanical Replacement

Software Modifications

TEL_BLUETOOTH
AKTIV
BLUETOOTH_HANDY
AKTIV
ECE_TELEFON
aktiv
HARDKEY_ASK
aktiv

BORDNETZ
e65_bordnetz
BACKUP_ANTENNA
nicht_aktiv
BACKUP_LOUDSPEAKER
nicht_aktiv

UBERWACH_TELEFON
nicht_aktiv
VERBAU_TELEFON
nicht_verbaut

hi Mareks does your telephone in the craddle works now or is disabled now after bluetooth retrofit?
Old 06-27-2015, 05:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 740d 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by permituk View Post
Thanks to all the contributors on this post! I've just chucked my E60 TCU as there was no way of getting it coded and got an e65 one. I followed freeriedl's instructions to the t and it works like a charm! I now have Bluetooth phone and through my dension 500s bt now also have Bluetooth audio streaming. The transition between the two is seamless! Thanks again everyone.
I've been looking at doing this mod on my 2004 740d as well. I have a 2007 MMI as well as the interface and programs to code it. Looking at getting a TCU soon.

I've also been planning on getting a Dension 500 to have USB input but I was told by Dension that the 500S BT would not work in an E65 and that I would have to get the older 500 model.
But you're saying you got the 500S BT to work in your E65?

2004 BMW 740d
Old 06-27-2015, 12:47 PM

Yup, I just bought a 500s BT with a single FOT, disconnected the MOST plug from the CD changer and plugged it in the Dension. I used the CD changer power supply to power the Dension too as I knew the power would behave how I wanted it to. I have to say I only use it for BT audio and have tested the AUX. I've not tested the iPod interface. I think that's where it falls flat on its face. But it works perfectly with my iPhone 6, I get in, it starts playing. Occasionally I have to manually connect but then I have to do that to the TCU as well, this is mostly if I've jumped in and out of the car but it isn't more than other cars I've had.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:49 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
Hu
Quote:
Yup, I just bought a 500s BT with a single FOT, disconnected the MOST plug from the CD changer and plugged it in the Dension. I used the CD changer power supply to power the Dension too as I knew the power would behave how I wanted it to. I have to say I only use it for BT audio and have tested the AUX. I've not tested the iPod interface. I think that's where it falls flat on its face. But it works perfectly with my iPhone 6, I get in, it starts playing. Occasionally I have to manually connect but then I have to do that to the TCU as well, this is mostly if I've jumped in and out of the car but it isn't more than other cars I've had.

Couple questions for you if you don't mind ?
You state you have to manually connect
Your phone to the TCU . Do you think the
Dension is causing you that problem ???
I ask cause My phone automatically
connects to my Retrofit TCU whenever I get
In my car . Also did you do a retrofit of
The TCU & MMI or is your car a Facelift ?
& if you're car is a facelift ? Why didn't
You just do the Oem ipod kit ?
1 more , did you code/program your car for
Ipod ?

I ask because I have installed the 500's
In a retrofit equipped car & everything
worked fine after coding ...

Thank you in advance for taking the
Time to answer my questions ...

Last edited by PAPER; 06-27-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Would you mind testing it with just a USB stick with some MP3s on it to see how it works?

I would love to get the 500S-BT instead of the regular 500 so I would have BT streaming as well as USB.

2004 BMW 740d
Old 06-28-2015, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: E65 740i LCI
Quote:

Hey there.
I was told that the bluetooth was not compatible with the E65. Which model dension dis you buy?

Sent from Tapatalk, iPhone 6 Plus.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:17 AM

Ive inserted my replies after the questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
Hu

Couple questions for you if you don't mind ?
You state you have to manually connect
Your phone to the TCU .

I don't have to manually connect the phone, just sometimes when I get in the car I have to manually connect in my phone Bluetooth settings, seems there is a window where it doesn't always do it automatically for some reason. The behaviour is the same for the TCU and the Dension. I'm not concerned about it as it happens maybe once a week which is less than used to happen on my previous car with Bluetooth.

Do you think the
Dension is causing you that problem ???

No

I ask cause My phone automatically
connects to my Retrofit TCU whenever I get
In my car .

Same here with the occasional exception.

Also did you do a retrofit of
The TCU & MMI or is your car a Facelift ?
& if you're car is a facelift ? Why didn't
You just do the Oem ipod kit ?

It's a facelift but an early one so I had to retrofit the TCU. I didn't want to spend the cash on the OEM iPod kit because of all the issues I've read about with large playlists etc. also, the Bluetooth streaming is far more important for me as I regularly stream content from various apps.

1 more , did you code/program your car for
Ipod ?

No, it just emulates the CDC option which is already in place and because it is a facelift it's already text enabled so no coding needed.

I ask because I have installed the 500's
In a retrofit equipped car & everything
worked fine after coding ...

Thank you in advance for taking the
Time to answer my questions ...
Old 06-29-2015, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_za View Post
Hey there.
I was told that the bluetooth was not compatible with the E65. Which model dension dis you buy?

I bought the 500S BT single FOT
Old 06-29-2015, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton1974 View Post
Would you mind testing it with just a USB stick with some MP3s on it to see how it works?

I would love to get the 500S-BT instead of the regular 500 so I would have BT streaming as well as USB.

Hi there, just tried it with my wife's Old USB stick and it works fine. I made a quick video which can be found here:
Unfortunately I couldn't show the BT working as I was filming with my phone and it crashed the camera when I tried to stream audio and record at the same time.

I have to say that this Dension has the latest firmware on and my car is a text enabled facelift model. I don't know if it will work on older cars which aren't text enabled. I think that where most of the issues come into play.

As mentioned in the video I tried using the phone option by connecting the mic cable to the OEM mic but that did have some serious issues. I did this after giving up on my E60 TCU which was too new and after this didn't work I sourced an actual e65 TCU.

Last edited by permituk; 06-29-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: Alpina B7
I have one TCU for sale:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=850970
e90 330i
e31 €850i
e65 Alpina B7
Old 06-29-2015, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: E65 740i LCI
Quote:
Hi there, just tried it with my wife's Old USB stick and it works fine. I made a quick video which can be found here:
Unfortunately I couldn't show the BT working as I was filming with my phone and it crashed the camera when I tried to stream audio and record at the same time.

I have to say that this Dension has the latest firmware on and my car is a text enabled facelift model. I don't know if it will work on older cars which aren't text enabled. I think that where most of the issues come into play.

As mentioned in the video I tried using the phone option by connecting the mic cable to the OEM mic but that did have some serious issues. I did this after giving up on my E60 TCU which was too new and after this didn't work I sourced an actual e65 TCU.

Dude you are a legend! Dension told me flat out that the 500sBT would not work in the E65. I suspect that they said that due to the issue with the phone function.

Did you disconnect the old TCU when you tried the BT phone function through the 500s?

Old 06-30-2015, 12:25 AM

How to Retrofit a Bluetooth TCU to your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_za View Post
Dude you are a legend! Dension told me flat out that the 500sBT would not work in the E65. I suspect that they said that due to the issue with the phone function.

Did you disconnect the old TCU when you tried the BT phone function through the 500s?

Yup, I had put the old useless TCU back in. Everything worked in idrive as it should but the ringtone was horrific and the microphone quality was unacceptable. Also the steering wheel controls and the built in keypad didn't work with it.

Last edited by permituk; 06-30-2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:51 AM

Quote:

Late reply here, been away on vacation.
Thanks for that great video!!
As I want to be able to play most of my music off a USB-stick it was great seeing it working that well in an E65.
Just one more question if you don't mind. I usually use a 32GB stick with a couple of thousand songs on it and what I prefer to do is just playing randomly through all songs. Can the Dension play all songs properly random?
By properly I mean you would never know what song it would play next. I had a portable media player that would play songs in the same "random" order every time no matter what song I started with. Extremely annoying...

2004 BMW 740d