Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:17 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
I'll send you a link to the Ebay seller
Who sold me my plugs for the TCU when I
Get home in a few minutes

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App
Old 03-25-2012, 02:10 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
Hi Paper,

Still no luck with the VIN change? I know it was a pain, I cannot remember the exact procedure, I will have a look in Tool32 to see if it will jog my memory and get back to you. I recall finding some info on the 7-Forum, its all in german so requires translating. Here are the links to the bits I found before.

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...26prmd%3Dimvns

and on page 6 look at the attachment, its showing in tool32 to run the job 'get_factory_mode' it should return saying its active, when active write the new VIN with fg_schreiben. if it isnt active there should be a job called 'set_factory_mode' or something along those lines. I'm 99% sure you write 0x3F to set the factory mode, I cant seems to find where I read that.

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...26prmd%3Dimvns

Anyway, im after a favour from someone! Im after the AMP/TYCO part number on the 54 way TCU connector. Thats the White outer shell with the locking lever, the two row insert and the single row insert. (should be three part numbers in total)

If anyone could do that for me it would be most appreciated!

Stuart

SENT YOU A PM : WiTH THE INFO FOR THE EBAY SELLER I BOUGHT MY PLUGS FROM .
Old 03-25-2012, 02:40 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML6278 View Post
Paper, while I appreciate your time and information

I thought this forum was about helping each other

I won't bother you with questions again, but thank you for the time you spent already.

Jeff
YOUR 110% RIGHT !!! this forum is here so we can help each other out .
With that being said I humbly apologize .
Feel free to ask your questions & I will answer them for you .
I discovered something New today with the TCU , so give me
a call & I'll clear everything up for you .
Old 03-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW F01
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
SENT YOU A PM : WiTH THE INFO FOR THE EBAY SELLER I BOUGHT MY PLUGS FROM .
Hey, Got in contact with the guy, he wants $50 for the connector!

Been hunting on the net, Audi use the same connector on their bluetooth interface, part can be ordered from the dealer, unfortunately no Audi dealers near me, but I found a pic of the connector, managed to zoom in and enhance the pic enough to make out the Tyco part number.

Its:
1-1355928-2 - For the outer shell with the locking latch
1355929-2 - Single row housing
1355930-2 - For the double row housing

Tyco offer free samples, which I've placed an order for, however the drawings state the part is restricted to Audi and Jaguar, The order may get rejected, but hopefully not and I can get the connector set free!

AceFX:

Hows the comfort access retrofit going? That has got to be the ultimate retrofit!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
yes installed & working great . Have you finished your install of the TCU ???
Paper, I just bought a TCU from a 2007 BMW 750Li with 59,000 miles. Thankfully it also has the wiring still attached for me to re-use. Already did the coding in preparation for the new TCU. Soon it will be time to sell by CPT-9000 BTUM and rip out the phone cradle and reclaim the space in my center console. Hope this goes well and I don't mess anything up.

Stuart, where are you with that possibly fried LMA?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:32 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Hey, Got in contact with the guy, he wants $50 for the connector!

Been hunting on the net, Audi use the same connector on their bluetooth interface, part can be ordered from the dealer, unfortunately no Audi dealers near me, but I found a pic of the connector, managed to zoom in and enhance the pic enough to make out the Tyco part number.

Its:
1-1355928-2 - For the outer shell with the locking latch
1355929-2 - Single row housing
1355930-2 - For the double row housing

Tyco offer free samples, which I've placed an order for, however the drawings state the part is restricted to Audi and Jaguar, The order may get rejected, but hopefully not and I can get the connector set free!

AceFX:

Hows the comfort access retrofit going? That has got to be the ultimate retrofit!
Are you serious, if I recall correctly I paid
$20 for the 54pin & $10 for the fibre optic plug.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:35 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Paper, I just bought a TCU from a 2007 BMW 750Li with 59,000 miles. Thankfully it also has the wiring still attached for me to re-use. Already did the coding in preparation for the new TCU. Soon it will be time to sell by CPT-9000 BTUM and rip out the phone cradle and reclaim the space in my center console. Hope this goes well and I don't mess anything up.

That's good. Your halfway there now

Last edited by PAPER; 03-26-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:45 AM

Quote:

Still DEAD! Tried everything I can think of so far. I have tried WinKFP with not much luck, im not sure if I havent set it up correctly or what TBH. when i tried re-programming it it didnt work but it did reset the unit so it must be doing something.

Tool32 does not communicate either, looks like its properly knakered. There dosent appear to be any way to recover it via the OBD socket.

Will look for another unit on eBay in the week, thing is I dont want to buy one only to find I will bugger that one up too.

I seem to be the only person ever to have had this problem, so it looks like im on my own!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 AM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Still DEAD! Tried everything I can think of so far. I have tried WinKFP with not much luck, im not sure if I havent set it up correctly or what TBH. when i tried re-programming it it didnt work but it did reset the unit so it must be doing something.

Tool32 does not communicate either, looks like its properly knakered. There dosent appear to be any way to recover it via the OBD socket.

Will look for another unit on eBay in the week, thing is I dont want to buy one only to find I will bugger that one up too.

I seem to be the only person ever to have had this problem, so it looks like im on my own!
Do you have Progman?
Maybe that will work for you.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Do you have Progman?
Maybe that will work for you.

Not a bad idea! forgot about that! I think I have some discs at work a friend let me borrow with it on, will have a look tomorrow.

Stuart
Old 03-27-2012, 03:17 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Not a bad idea! forgot about that! I think I have some discs at work a friend let me borrow with it on, will have a look tomorrow.

Stuart
Good Luck

Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 AM

New TCU I ordered yesterday arrived today! Can't wait to try it out, I'm passing an Audi dealer tomorrow so phoned today to order the 54 way connector, £2.45! That's more like it! Managed to source the MOST connector adapter from Farnell Components, £0.45 each should have that tomorrow too.

The wires/fibres don't look long enough to reach, the new TCU connectors are the opposite way round. I have bought some fabric harness tape if I need to re-route anything. Hopefully should have this lot fitted tomorrow night.

Got the discs for SSS, will see if I can get it installed later tonight and try to recover the LMA!

Cheers!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:25 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
New TCU I ordered yesterday arrived today! Can't wait to try it out, I'm passing an Audi dealer tomorrow so phoned today to order the 54 way connector, £2.45! That's more like it! Managed to source the MOST connector adapter from Farnell Components, £0.45 each should have that tomorrow too.

The wires/fibres don't look long enough to reach, the new TCU connectors are the opposite way round. I have bought some fabric harness tape if I need to re-route anything. Hopefully should have this lot fitted tomorrow night.

Got the discs for SSS, will see if I can get it installed later tonight and try to recover the LMA!

Cheers!
That's good news. I couldn't find fabric tape
When I did mine. I had to use regular electric tape. Good price on the plugs, you should post the link were you got the most connector for that price for any others that might need it

Old 03-28-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
That's good news. I couldn't find fabric tape
When I did mine. I had to use regular electric tape. Good price on the plugs, you should post the link were you got the most connector for that price for any others that might need it

Hi, of course, the MOST connector adapter (when you remove the two fibres in the small rectangular housing you need another housing with a locking tab that plugs into the TCU)

In the US they are called 'newark' and Farnell in the UK:

http://www.newark.com/te-connectivit...tt=1-1355426-1

MOQ is 10.

The picture is not correct but the part number is, the Tyco link for the connector:

http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/1-13...PN=1-1355426-1

The fabric tape I got from eBay, its manufactured by tesa.

These are the crimps used in almost all 2.54mm pitch connectors in BMW's they are a special design with double retention, also available from Newark or Farnell.

BMW only sell these with lengths of wire for a ridiculous price!, if you have a suitable AMP crimp tool you are in luck!

http://www.newark.com/te-connectivit...999?Ntt=963715

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 03-28-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:09 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Hi, of course, the MOST connector adapter (when you remove the two fibres in the small rectangular housing you need another housing with a locking tab that plugs into the TCU)

In the US they are called 'newark' and Farnell in the UK:

http://www.newark.com/te-connectivit...tt=1-1355426-1

MOQ is 10.

The picture is not correct but the part number is, the Tyco link for the connector:

http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/1-13...PN=1-1355426-1

The fabric tape I got from eBay, its manufactured by tesa.

These are the crimps used in almost all 2.54mm pitch connectors in BMW's they are a special design with double retention, also available from Newark or Farnell.

BMW only sell these with lengths of wire for a ridiculous price!, if you have a suitable AMP crimp tool you are in luck!

http://www.newark.com/te-connectivit...999?Ntt=963715

Stuart
Good Post !!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Bimmer App
Old 03-29-2012, 12:21 PM

Hey guys,

Good news, picked up the 54 way connector from the Audi dealer today and fitted the new TCU, coded the MMI and I now have 'Phone' in my settings menu, and it displays what I guess were previously paired phones from the donor car.

I have tried to pair my iPhone, I select 'Pairing' on the menu and my iPhone finds 'BMW9900' or something like that however it wont pair with the pass key I enter from the label on the unit. I have plugged the WDCT antenna into the TCU the same as Ace but it only fits one of the 4 connectors with its original coding shroud on. WDS says the BT antenna should plug into X13383 which is the one next to the GSM antenna with the 'Blue' coding. is this the BT antenna? I think I may have it plugged into the wrong one!

Cheers!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:29 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Hey guys,

Good news, picked up the 54 way connector from the Audi dealer today and fitted the new TCU, coded the MMI and I now have 'Phone' in my settings menu, and it displays what I guess were previously paired phones from the donor car.

I have tried to pair my iPhone, I select 'Pairing' on the menu and my iPhone finds 'BMW9900' or something like that however it wont pair with the pass key I enter from the label on the unit. I have plugged the WDCT antenna into the TCU the same as Ace but it only fits one of the 4 connectors with its original coding shroud on. WDS says the BT antenna should plug into X13383 which is the one next to the GSM antenna with the 'Blue' coding. is this the BT antenna? I think I may have it plugged into the wrong one!

Cheers!

Can you post a pic of how you have it hooked up Please .
( you might be plugged in the wrong slot )
Take off the Plastic housing & try the other slots .
Then set your phone down in the trunk close to the TCU & try to Pair it .

PS:Make sure you Delete the other Paired Phones .

Last edited by PAPER; 03-29-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Can you post a pic of how you have it hooked up Please .
( you might be plugged in the wrong slot )
Take off the Plastic housing & try the other slots .
Then set your phone down in the trunk close to the TCU & try to Pair it .

PS:Make sure you Delete the other Paired Phones .
Hi paper,

Thanks for the reply, just tried all the connectors no luck, I will delete old phones and try again. The code that comes up BMW99000, is the 5 digits supposed to be the VIN? I haven't changed the VIN yet. How did you change the VIN paper? Tool32?

Almost there....

Cheers!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:25 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Hi paper,

Thanks for the reply, just tried all the connectors no luck, I will delete old phones and try again. The code that comes up BMW99000, is the 5 digits supposed to be the VIN? I haven't changed the VIN yet. How did you change the VIN paper? Tool32?

Almost there....

Cheers!
the code you type in should be the PUK code on the TCU .
I'm not sure what the 5 digits mean . The #'s that come up
for Bluetooth on My phone are not my Vin . It says BMW 499665
or something like that .
Old 03-29-2012, 03:22 PM

I have just erased the previous paired phones and no difference, however I have read the VIN using Tool32, the last 5 digits (99000) match the VIN CJ99000 as the TCU came from a 2007 E61, this ties up with my iPhone finding 'BMW 99000' as a device.

I have used tool32 to write my VIN, it appears to have taken it, although the device id is still 'BMW 99000' I will see tomorrow when the cars gone to sleep and woken up if the VIN change has taken and the TCU assigns a new ID based on my VIN, hopefully should get 'BMW 90382' The NAV unit didnt report the correct VIN until I coded it using NCS, might read the coding tomorrow and have a look.

Looks like I will have to do the production date change trick to read the TCU much like the MMI!

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 03-29-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:35 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
I have just erased the previous paired phones and no difference, however I have read the VIN using Tool32, the last 5 digits (99000) match the VIN CL99000 as the TCU came from a 2007 E61, this ties up with my iPhone finding 'BMW 99000' as a device.

I have used tool32 to write my VIN, it appears to have taken it, although the device id is still 'BMW 99000' I will see tomorrow when the cars gone to sleep and woken up if the VIN change has taken and the TCU assigns a new ID based on my VIN, hopefully should get 'BMW 90382' The NAV unit didnt report the correct VIN until I coded it using NCS, might read the coding tomorrow and have a look.

Looks like I will have to do the production date change trick to read the TCU much like the MMI!

Stuart
how did you do the Navi VIN with NCS ?
I used Tool32 for the TCU but the #'s I get are not the last 5 of my VIN .
Did you try pairing with your phone close to the TCU ? On another
Members car we had to hold the phone directly next to the TCU .

Last edited by PAPER; 03-29-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
how did you do the Navi VIN with NCS ?
I used Tool32 for the TCU but the #'s I get are not the last 5 of my VIN .
Did you try pairing with your phone close to the TCU ? On another
Members car we had to hold the phone directly next to the TCU .
The NAV computer also generates the 'BMW Assist' menus in the idrive, on one of the menus it shows the VIN number of the car, I knew I had programmed the VIN correctly to the NAV computer and it would read the correct VIN back using Tool32, however the menu didnt 'refresh' I had to read the unit using NCS make a dummy edit to the trace file re-code it to the NAV unit and this reset the NAV and it then showed the correct VIN in the BMW assist menu.

Im wondering if doing this to the TCU will make it 'refresh' its BT ID and show the last digits of your VIN?

If it works... why bother, I may be wasting my time! do I recall you saying to add $633 to the VO?

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 03-29-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:45 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
The NAV computer also generates the 'BMW Assist' menus in the idrive, on one of the menus it shows the VIN number of the car, I knew I had programmed the VIN correctly to the NAV computer and it would read the correct VIN back using Tool32, however the menu didnt 'refresh' I had to read the unit using NCS make a dummy edit to the trace file re-code it to the NAV unit and this reset the NAV and it then showed the correct VIN in the BMW assist menu.

Im wondering if doing this to the TCU will make it 'refresh' its BT ID and show the last digits of your VIN?

If it works... why bother, I may be wasting my time! do I recall you saying to add $633 to the VO?
Yes I recall reading some place you might have to add $639 to the VO .
I didn't since my phone paired right away .
Old 03-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Ram 2500 4x4
280 views since posted in Feb. Seems sticky-worthy to me. Nice job Ace.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Yes I recall reading some place you might have to add $639 to the VO .
I didn't since my phone paired right away .
Ahh I see, yeah ive had it with coding VO's for the time being! lol

I tried paring while I stood at the rear of the car with the boot open. even in the drivers seat as soon as i press 'pairing' on the idirive the iPhone detects the car within a second or so. just says the pairing fails when I put the pass key in.

Will connect to the TCU with Tool32 in the morning and have a play with some of the diagnostic functions.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search