Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:12 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
NICE just tried and works perfect! Will edit file and program later. Can you code with the expert profile? Or did you edit the expert profile to allow coding?

Got there at last! If only I didn't actually try writing it! Argh! Anyway just LMA to fix now! Cheers!
No I cannot code with expertmode.
You should try recoding your LMA in expertmode & changing your VO back

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 03-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Hi Paper,

I have edited my MMI trace file in NCS dummy and wrote it back to the MMI, all working perfectly! I have managed to code all that I need for the time being, on the look out for a TCU now! Maybe after a new LMA module!

I edited the expert profile to allow coding. So was a simple task of just reading the FA editing it and then coding the MMI.

Really happy we got this sorted! Well done to everyone involved!

Jeff, have you managed to code yours yet?

I have tried the LMA again with the expert profile, it's really not having it! I notice once the FA is read from the CAS it wants to code the LMA at .C05, however when I was coding it to remove the cold bulb check for the angel eyes (as I've fitted LED bulbs, they flicker briefly at night when the ignition is first switched on) it was reading a .C06 coding level which makes me think it's not the original unit.

I will try playing with the FA date codes. I want to take the LMA out to check the label and ensure when I use WinKFP I'm flashing the right file!

Have you upgraded your TCU now paper? Is it just a VIN change that's required?
Old 03-17-2012, 02:29 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Hi Paper,

I have edited my MMI trace file in NCS dummy and wrote it back to the MMI, all working perfectly! I have managed to code all that I need for the time being, on the look out for a TCU now! Maybe after a new LMA module!

I edited the expert profile to allow coding. So was a simple task of just reading the FA editing it and then coding the MMI.

I have tried the LMA again with the expert profile, it's really not having it! I notice once the FA is read from the CAS it wants to code the LMA at .C05, however when I was coding it to remove the cold bulb check for the angel eyes (as I've fitted LED bulbs, they flicker briefly at night when the ignition is first switched on) it was reading a .C06 coding level which makes me think it's not the original unit.

I will try playing with the FA date codes. I want to take the LMA out to check the label and ensure when I use WinKFP I'm flashing the right file!

You should post how to code your MMI with NCS Dummy , for those that want to do there's .

My TCU is more then just coding the VIN . I have to figure out the wiring for the TCU plug & then re-wire into the New TCU . I have the plugs needed , i just haven't started to figure out the wiring yet
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Bimmer App

Old 03-17-2012, 04:30 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Hi Paper,

WHEN YOU READ YOUR MMI dID YOU SEE ANY LINES WITH IPOD IN YOUR TRC FILE ???

Old 03-18-2012, 02:16 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
Hi Paper,

Yep, I have the following:

13D9 IPOD_ADD

Is this for the factory IPOD kit?

I also have AUX too, I hear somewhere that this wires into the ASK unit but I guess only on the facelift one!? I couldnt find much info on WDS.

Ahh I see, the wiring dosent bother me as I do that for a living, it was the software that was worrying me a little!

I understand you have a slightly different setup because you are in the US, your TCU dosent have antenna connections on? it connects to an AMPS unit?

Im sure it can be worked out, the TCU is in the MOST ring, so much of the data is handled here, it should be a case of matching up the other connections, like the SOS button, power, CAN for the keypad, bluetooth antenna etc...the rest of the stuff for the handsets can be ditched.

I know ACE had the old wireless siemens handsets, and he used the wireless antenna for the handsets on the parcel shelf as the bluetooth antenna by plugging it in the BT antenna on the TCU.

The BT antenna is normally fitted under the arm rest compartment.

Yes I will do an NCS expert tutorial if anyone else is interested?

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 03-18-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Hi Paper,

Stuart, I have updated my MMI successfully. I had a wedding yesterday and couldn't respond, but it was very easy thanks to Papers hard work. I have written up a step-by-step list for anyone else who has the issue going forward. I will post it in a minute or so. Glad you're in better shape than early yesterday.

Jeff
Old 03-18-2012, 07:38 AM

NCS Expert Facelift MMI coding procedure

I want to start off by saying that I did not come up with the solution below. I worked with Paper who is the one who figured it out. So all thanks should go to him. I have just written out the steps for anyone else who has the problem going forward. While this has been specifically written to address coding issues when retrofitting a newer (facelift) MMI, it would also work for other modules. Here it is:

1. Open NCS Expert, Choose File then Load Profile then select the Fister Profile then Click OK

2. Click F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA) to read vehicle data

3. Click F3 (ZCS/FA f. ECU) to read FA from ECU

4. Choose chassis model from list (E65) then click OK

5. Choose the ECU to read VO from (CAS) then click OK

6. The Model, VIN, and VO should then be displayed at the top. Click F2 (Enter FA) to modify VO

7. Choose chassis model from list (E65) then click OK

8. Verify that the VIN is correct (Note: the last digit is the checksum). Click OK

9. Highlight production date in FA list (#0503) then click Delete button on the keyboard (#0503 is my production year, so yours will most likely be different)

10. Enter new production date (#0904) in Attribute box then click Add then OK. (#0904 worked for me, but I started at #1204 and worked down until I no longer got a faulty VIN error)

11. After the VO has been changed successfully you will be able to select the F6 (Back) button. (Make sure the new production date is shown in the VO at the top)

12. Select F4 (Process ECU)

13. Select MMIGT from the Choose ECU list then click OK, and click OK again after Enter SGET Data pop-up window appears.

14. Click F4 (Read ECU). If everything goes as it should you won't get the dreaded Error by setting a ECU COAPI-1000: error and the NETTODAT.TRC pop-up window will appear. Click OK to close the pop-up window.

15. Navigate to your NCS Expert work folder (C:\NCSEXPER\WORK) and open your FSW_PSW.TRC file with notepad and make your changes and then save the file as FSW_PSW.MAN

16. Select F2 (Change Job) then choose SG_CODIEREN then click OK

17. Verify that the Jobname is SG_CODIEREN and the ECU is MMIGT

18. Select F3 (Execute Job)

19. If the job runs successfully Job Ended will show under the Get Coded section and your MMI will reboot. If you want to make additional changes you can make them in the FSW_PSW_MAN and then just click F3 (Execute Job) again. This applies only if you keep NCS Expert open and keep the laptop connected.

20. Check VO to make sure it has changed back to your real production date. If it hasn't then change it back.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I also have the IPOD_ADD in my MMI trace file, but I remember adding it to my VO prior to installing the new MMI. I added +IPOD to my VO if that helps.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 E66 760Li
Thumbs up

thank you very much
Old 03-18-2012, 03:23 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Hi Paper,

Yep, I have the following:

13D9 IPOD_ADD

Is this for the factory IPOD kit?

I also have AUX too, I hear somewhere that this wires into the ASK unit but I guess only on the facelift one!? I couldnt find much info on WDS.

Ahh I see, the wiring dosent bother me as I do that for a living, it was the software that was worrying me a little!

I understand you have a slightly different setup because you are in the US, your TCU dosent have antenna connections on? it connects to an AMPS unit?

Im sure it can be worked out, the TCU is in the MOST ring, so much of the data is handled here, it should be a case of matching up the other connections, like the SOS button, power, CAN for the keypad, bluetooth antenna etc...the rest of the stuff for the handsets can be ditched.

I know ACE had the old wireless siemens handsets, and he used the wireless antenna for the handsets on the parcel shelf as the bluetooth antenna by plugging it in the BT antenna on the TCU.

The BT antenna is normally fitted under the arm rest compartment.

Yes I will do an NCS expert tutorial if anyone else is interested?

Yes I need to check WDS so I can figure the wiring & change
it so I can plug in my New TCU .
( I really need to do this , I just hate WDS wiring schematic )

AS for the AUX = AUX input On the back of the ASK unit .
Should be pin
C2 = Left
C7 = right
and C8 is ground . But it still needs to be tested .

Last edited by PAPER; 08-09-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Yes I need to check WDS so I can figure the wiring & change
it so I can plug in my New TCU .
( I really need to do this , I just hate WDS wiring schematic )

AS for the AUX = AUX input On the back of the ASK unit .
Should be pin
C2 = Left
C7= right
and C8 is ground . But it still needs to be tested .
Paper, I may have to do the TCU retrofit. When I retrofitted the new I drive controller with the leather knob and extra buttons, I might have done something to the connection from my center console phone (well actually a BTUM CPT-9000). The BTUM gets power and I can pair my iPhone to the BTUM, but then the MMI shows that it's reading data but it gets stuck there. There is also a red box (1 of the 3 boxes that's at the top of the MMI on the right). Normally I see a green light in 1 of the boxes.

Does this mean I might have crimped or severed one of the wires under he center console that lets the BTUM communicate with the TCU or maybe the antenna wire? It's a shame that after all this I don't have a working phone. Arghhhh!! Not as tough to deal with as Stuarts problem, but frustrating that it may have been a self inflicted wound. I really dread taking the center console apart, so I'm hoping that I did something software wise (most likely not) to screw it up. Any suggestions will as always be appreciated.

Has anyone documented which TCU's will work for this retrofit. I see one on eBay from 6/12/2005. Will that work? Has anyone figured out the pin connections for the 54-pin connector? I will take on this project if we can all agree to exactly what is needed, and where to start.

Thanks, and sorry the post is excruciatingly long.

Jeff

Last edited by PAPER; 08-09-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Not sure if you to this or not, but when I added my iPod, I got the iPod list (Playlist, Artist, Album, etc, instead of CD1 - CD6) what's interesting is I never saw iPod_List in my MMI trace file (I did search). I'm not sure how it defaulted to that without me activating that feature.

Anyone else get the iPod menu without doing anything?
Old 03-19-2012, 05:05 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

I have been told that some of the FaceLift MMI's do not play well with the BTUM, hence the reason others do the TCU also.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:09 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

If you have time post a pic of the TCU in your car. The side with the plugs & the other end

Old 03-19-2012, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745 li
i need help not that much of a tech but want the use of my iphone in my beemer
Old 03-19-2012, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745 li
how much does it cost to do
Old 03-19-2012, 07:19 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML6278 View Post
Not sure if you to this or not, but when I added my iPod, I got the iPod list (Playlist, Artist, Album, etc, instead of CD1 - CD6) what's interesting is I never saw iPod_List in my MMI trace file (I did search). I'm not sure how it defaulted to that without me activating that feature.

Anyone else get the iPod menu without doing anything?
If you have time post a pic of the TCU in your car. The side with the plugs & the other end

Old 03-19-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Paper, can I get the information about the TCU from INPA or the secret service menu? What do I have to do to get access to the TCU? Is it dificult to remove the trim?

How can I find out what models work (have the full Bluetooth stack)? Is there a date that they switched over? I can get one on eBay from 6/2005 will that work. I have an iPhone (GSM) how can I be sure that the TCU is compatible?

Back to the BTUM for a second. The red box (signal strength????) is that more likely a BTUM compatibility issue or do you think I messed up the antenna or something else under the center console?

Do you or has anyone posted a wiring diagram for the 54-pin plug if I have the 26-pin and 12-pin connectors on my TCU?

What else do I need in addition to the TCU? Connectors? MOST adapter?

Thanks Paper you really helped us out a lot.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:35 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Paper, can I get the information about the TCU from INPA or the secret service menu? What do I have to do to get access to the TCU? Is it dificult to remove the trim?

How can I find out what models work (have the full Bluetooth stack)? Is there a date that they switched over? I can get one on eBay from 6/2005 will that work. I have an iPhone (GSM) how can I be sure that the TCU is compatible?

Back to the BTUM for a second. The red box (signal strength????) is that more likely a BTUM compatibility issue or do you think I messed up the antenna or something else under the center console?

Do you or has anyone posted a wiring diagram for the 54-pin plug if I have the 26-pin and 12-pin connectors on my TCU?

What else do I need in addition to the TCU? Connectors? MOST adapter?

Thanks Paper you really helped us out a lot.

YES I think you messed up your wiring , but the only way to
know for sure is to check it . Yes The red box means no signal .
( remember some people have said the BTUM does not work with some FaceLift MMI's )

I believe from 06 up will work , but I am not positive . ( the TCU I bought is from an 08 )

the TCU is in the trunk above the L7 AMP . So you will have to remove that cover to get to it .

Nope nobody has posted the wiring for the 26pin 12pin swap to the 54pin .

TO ANSWER YOUR OTHER QUESTIONS I NEED PIC'S OF YOUR TCU
FRONT , BACK , SIDES OR ANYPLACE IT HAS SOMETHING PLUGGED IN IT .

PS; I'm still waiting for your PM regarding Tool32

Old 03-20-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:

YES I think you messed up your wiring , but the only way to
know for sure is to check it . Yes The red box means no signal .
( remember some people have said the BTUM does not work with some FaceLift MMI's )

I believe from 06 up will work , but I am not positive . ( the TCU I bought is from an 08 )

the TCU is in the trunk above the L7 AMP . So you will have to remove that cover to get to it .

Nope nobody has posted the wiring for the 26pin 12pin swap to the 54pin .

TO ANSWER YOUR OTHER QUESTIONS I NEED PIC'S OF YOUR TCU
FRONT , BACK , SIDES OR ANYPLACE IT HAS SOMETHING PLUGGED IN IT .

PS; I'm still waiting for your PM regarding Tool32
Can you send me what you hav in regards to WDS. I'd like to get started on figuring out the wiring changes that will be necessary. I'm leaning towards the retrofit TCU, and I may not even bother trying to fix the Possible wiring issue under my center console (probably a crimped wire, but rather have the Bluetooth built into the car.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 03-20-2012, 03:01 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Can you send me what you hav in regards to WDS. I'd like to get started on figuring out the wiring changes that will be necessary. I'm leaning towards the retrofit TCU, and I may not even bother trying to fix the Possible wiring issue under my center console (probably a crimped wire, but rather have the Bluetooth built into the car.

Thanks,

Jeff
here is there website . I haven't started cause I haven't had any free time .
I hope you share your info if your successful .

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/e65...ST_network%29/

PS: I still need pic's so I can tell you what else you need besides changing the wiring .

Last edited by PAPER; 03-20-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:

PS: I still need pic's so I can tell you what else you need besides changing the wiring .
Won't be able to get into the trunk for a couple of days to take pics. That link you sent me makes everything clear as what to do next. Lol. Maybe I need a drink first. Shouldn't there be a picture of the connectors showing what each wire connects to (mic, power, etc)? And then we get the same for the 54-pin.

I will get you the tools32 write up as soon as I try it again and am successful. Make sure you have the executable inside your EDIABAS folder and that it opens without error. You don't need to be connected to the car to do this part.

Jeff
Old 03-20-2012, 11:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Rostman Send a message via Skype™ to Rostman
Mein Auto: GT 550Xi
Whats the difference between TCU and TCU 1.5?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostman View Post
Whats the difference between TCU and TCU 1.5?
I'm not positive but I think TCU 1.5 has the full Bluetooth stack, while earlier versions had either limited or no Bluetooth functionality.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:30 AM

Quote:

Paper, I will definitely share any information I come across or if I do attempt the retrofit, I will do another write-up like I did for the NCS Expert MMI retrofit.

I've seen on some forums (unfortunately no e65/e66 forums) that instead of doing the wiring they bought a 26-pin to 54-pin connector. I know we would need a different one then they used, but is there a place that makes custom connectors or did BMW ever make one? (I know there is no BMW supported retrofit for the TCU so probably not).

I'm not comfortable translating the WDS on spaghetticoder.org. Didn't someone already do this successfully (in the US, I know ACE and Stuart did it, but wiring will be different for US)

Thanks