Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i
Serious case of the 'leaks' - Oil/Steering/Coolant

2006 650i 105k miles. I live in North NJ where it is currently 6 degrees outside and this freezing winter seems to have accelerated my leaks / gasket deterioration and I have a few questions regarding some of my leaks. Once it warms up I have a lot of work to do!

Oil:

I am pretty sure i have multiple leaks. There is oil on the bottom of the alternator indicating that i have the alternator mounting bracket leak and well as significant oil on the passenger side indicating either the timing chain cover or the oil pressure sending switch. I would like to approach this by fixing the easiest / cheapest fixes first (I don't mind a slow oil leak and i would prefer to top off the oil once per oil change rather then tackling some of the heavy duty fixes). It was slow for a long time, but Lately it seems to loose 1/2 a quart every 2 weeks, and that is unacceptable.

Steering/ Hydraulic Fluid:

It has always had a slow leak in the hydraulic system, i top it off every 5000 miles or so with BMW fluid. Any idea where is a typical place to look to fix this?

Coolant:

Seems to also have accelerated lately.
I'm hoping its just the expansion tank, and i don't have something more serious like the leak that required the expanding tube kit to fix. Any other ideas on where to look and how i might diagnose this?

Thank you for any help in advance! I just want to fix these leaks and keep this trusty 6er on the road!
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2015, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 645CI
My car is similar mileage to your own and is suffering various leaks:

Steering:
The steering fluid reservoir has always been weeping from the cap. This is a common problem in many BMW's. I changed the o-ring in the cap which seems to have fixed the issue for me at least. Also check the pipes under the steering fluid reservoir and see if there's any hydraulic oil on them. I haven't changed one yet but I believe the steering fluid reservoirs are relatively easy to replace.

Coolant:
I'm dealing with mystery coolant leaks myself. The best thing to do would be to get the system pressure tested to diagnose where the leaks are coming from. You could also remove the bash guard under the engine and have a look to see if any coolant is resting there and try work back up the engine from there. This is how I spotted my own intermittent coolant leaks happening (mind you I still don't know where the leaks are coming from!). Also check "weep hole" beside the waterpump. Anything coming from here would indicate a problem with the internal coolant transfer pipe. Worst case coolant is going into your exhaust system, that would mean head gasket issues. Symptoms of this would be things like misfires on start up coupled with coolant loss and/or exhaust gases in the coolant system.

Transmission Sump:
My own transmission sump has started weeping oil. I suggest you check this too. It's hidden away under the car so it's easy to overlook.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i
Good info ThePotatoMan , thanks!

Trans:
I actually changed my transmission pan with integrated filter and most of the fluid 10k miles ago. I have no transmission fluid leaks as of now.

Steering:
I was looking around the other day for a leak and I did not see anything from under the resivour. I suspect its a hose clamp somewhere under the car... When it gets warmer ill take a close look. In the meantime ill order a new cap gasket, thanks!

Coolant:
Ill check the weep hole once it gets a little warmer, the internal coolant transfer pipe looks like a pain in the ass job, but i think i could pull it off with one of the kits if i needed to (knock on wood).

Oil:
Going to do the oil sender and the vacuum pump seal first, I am afraid of the alternator mounting bracket job.