Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 01-20-2012, 12:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 750li
Smg transmission fault error

2006 BMW M5 - error codes 4FA0, 510E, 510D.

Hello friends. I coming to your for some help. I have a 2006 M5 with 80k miles. I bought it from Long Beach BMW in California on Oct, 28, 2011, which is less than 3 months ago with 77,500 miles on it. The car was a CPO with extended warranty that would expire June 30th 2012 or 100,000 miles. On Nov, 17th 2011, I took the car in for a few things that needed to get fixed including the transmission because i said said it felt that it was kind of shaking when i would start from first gear, the shuddering that everyone talks about. They returned the car and said the tech readjusted the transmission but it still had the problem. I went out of town for work, then came the holidays.

Fast forward to Jan 14th-15th, I'm driving normally, haven't even pushed the car hard and the identical red cog and yellow cog for transmission fault come on one after another. I left it alone for the night and waited till the morning to see it might reset itself. It didn't and I emailed the Service Manager at the dealership and he said for me to tow the car in which I did. I towed the car into the dealership and they said we'll call you back when we figure it out. The service adviser called me back saying we have bad news and the shop foreman is saying all the sign point to it being the clutch but we wont know until we drop the transmission and inspect it and that we are gonna need a $1600 commitment from you to check to see exactly what the problem is. This came as a surprise to me so I said no and I said I'll come pickup the car tomorrow. I asked why it wasn't covered and they stated its obviously wear and tear so everything has to be out of my pocket. I asked if I can still drive the car and they stated that I can drive it so I took it home and decided to get on the forums and do some digging. Sorry the error codes the dealer gave me were 4FA0, 510E, 510D.

I contacted John from The M Shop in glendale and he was so helpful. I gave him my VIN# and information and he told me about the SIB 21 02 06. I'm sure everyone is familiar with that SIB. This applies to vehicles produced prior to April 4th 2006, I got my service records from the dealer and contacted BMW NA and they said my car was finished May 2006. I think its such a coincidence that it falls 2 weeks after that and that the SIB was released Oct 2006. I called the service manager the next day and told him about this and that this should fall under that so he said let me make a few calls and he'll get back to me. Well today he called me back saying I called some people up the ladder and they said no and denied it and I'll have to pay out of pocket and its about $5800 to get it fixed at the dealership. At this point I'm fuming because I feel like BMW is trying to pull a fast one and charge me some ridiculous amount.

So now I'm at this point writing this email and I don't know if I should take it to another dealership or try to get it fixed myself. If anyone knows of a good Service advisor anywhere in the LA area i would greatly appreciate it. I also contacted BMW NA customer relations department but they did nothing. I'm thinking of sending a letter and emailing all the VP's and executives of BMW NA.

I want to know know what my options are and if I can maybe lemon the car.

Any advice would be great!!!!! Thanks in advance.

Mark

Last edited by Prsnmac4; 01-20-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 ///M5
If it's indeed the clutch, then it falls under wear and tear and itís not covered under any warranty except original BMW warranty. If itís SMG and its hydraulics, components etc., then it should be covered under CPO.
Regarding the SIB Ö it was issued in October 2006, did the previous owner had BMW perform the required service at any point?
Do you feel that your clutch slipping? If itís red cog, then it points to the SMG/Transmission issue. Why not take it another BMW dealer and direct them towards SMG only?
Old 01-21-2012, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 750li
UPDATE!!!!

So I wrote an email yesterday in the morning around 8am to the GM of the dealership and to the President of BMW NA and all the VP's of BMW NA. I got an email back from the service manager around 1pm saying they are working on something to get my car back up and running. They said for me to sit tight and have positive thoughts. So today in the morning at 10am, I got a call from BMW NA saying sorry about what happened and that they will replace the clutch, flywheel, everything that's wrong with it. I'm so happy right now words can't describe it. The shop foreman called me and said to bring my car in today so they can start on taking out the old clutch and putting in the new one. Long Beach BMW and BMW of NA are amazing in what they did and have a customer for life!!!

so happppy lol
Old 02-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 M3
So what was the actual issue? And, what type of repair would cost $5800???

I'm considering an 07 M5, and threads like this scare me to death. Even with all the coverage you had, what fell through the cracks? is a new clutch $5800?

Sold:
330i Titanium, Manual, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Aluminum Trim, Sport Package

ED Oct 2005
Redelivery 12-2-2005