Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-12-2012, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2004, 545i
Transmission leak, 2004 545i

The transmission on my 2004 545i started a very small leak a while back. The leak got progressively worse over a couple of weeks (but still not much oil each day) so I dropped the oil and changed the gasket on the pan. It still leaks, not nearly as much - about what it was at the very beginning. Has anyone else run into this?
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 750i Sport
Hey Pual17, the trans pan on my 545 was leaking when I bought it a few weeks back...I had the dealer replace it for me since it was being done for free. However, there are numerous posts regarding this issue for many other owners on this forum that I've come across...and from what I've gathered is basically if you're going to replace it then you should replace the entire Pan & Gasket & New Bolts...and OEM...providing you intend on keeping your car!

Hope this info helped you in some way!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul17 View Post
The transmission on my 2004 545i started a very small leak a while back. The leak got progressively worse over a couple of weeks (but still not much oil each day) so I dropped the oil and changed the gasket on the pan. It still leaks, not nearly as much - about what it was at the very beginning. Has anyone else run into this?
You need to isolate the leak problem, what common on ZF 6HP26 and 6HP19 was sealing sleeve leaks. item 1 on the picture, the cost is about $700 to replace and refill the fluid (I assume you have not lost much of it cause the fluid is rather pricey at the dealer).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	auto-trans_sleeve.png
Views:	97
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	312243  
Old 11-22-2012, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 535Xi before a 330Xi
Question

I just got the same $800 quote!!

Ddi you end up doing it?

How much does it leak?

I have no drops in my driveway.

What happens when the fluid gets low, does an idiot light go on? or does the trannsmission blow up!
Old 11-22-2012, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2004, 545i
It started with a very small leak and got progressively worse. You don't notice at first because the oil gets held in the underarriage shrouding. The oil level didn't get low enough to set off the warning light but when that happens you pretty much can't drive the car (more on this later). I noticed the leak doing a regular maintenance check so first tried just replacing the gasket. No problems filling the oil level this time. The leak persisted so next I replaced the pan and gasket. This time there must have been an air lock in the tranny because the warning light came on and the car wouldn't move much. I topped up the oil again and took the car to a shop and the oil level checked out fine. No problems since. Refilling the tranny with oil is a bit of a challenge because the filler opening is under the car. It can be done if you have an oil gun or McGiver a long tube. Also the level has to checked when the tranny is at the correct temperature.