Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 AM
610EUROs

Mein Auto: 90' 24v, 89' 325is
the Curt hitch is tucked within 2mm of the valence and is only 1/2" thick. unless your car was already sitting on the floor that difference wouldnt matter. plus if your bottoming out the rear of the car, you will have probably have pinched your wheels into the wells as well. so you're not going anywhere. in order to tow anything you need to add upgraded suspension and parts so you're not bottoming out the car.

build: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=382667
Old 02-16-2012, 09:41 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
nah im still not making myself clear. nothing to do with the suspension, but departing driveways when the car has a trailer or not, the bar always scrapes on the ground. 2mm is so small, are you sure you dont mean 20mm, that seems more like it?

anyways, forget it. will have this thread cleaned up

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 PM
610EUROs

Mein Auto: 90' 24v, 89' 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethrty View Post
nah im still not making myself clear. nothing to do with the suspension, but departing driveways when the car has a trailer or not, the bar always scrapes on the ground. 2mm is so small, are you sure you dont mean 20mm, that seems more like it?

anyways, forget it. will have this thread cleaned up
Mark can clear it up, ill make this my last post about it just to finish the topic. i meant 2mm. the curt hitch almost rests right on the valence.

build: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=382667
Old 02-21-2012, 01:46 AM

So. Have had the threesixteen-machine for over a week now. By FAR the most economical car I have ever had! A full tank is 55Liters. daily driving it around, i just hit 30L to go today, which translates to just over 6L/100km (rough calculation as i may have anywhere from 25 to 35 liters still in there).

I know i can get it even better too, with further weight savings, currently a puncture in one of the tyres so is low on air all the time, wheels are out of alignment up front, and new non gluggy fluid in the gearbox and diff. Of course, the biggest killer currently is the slipping clutch too! Im actually really looking forward to seeing how low my economy figure will go! It just takes so long to get through a tank to fid out what ill get lol

to put it in comparison,
- my E34 525iT gets 14.3L/100km,
- the E34 520iT (the worst so far) got around 16L/100km despite the smaller engine but is auto. On the new engine, bound to be worse the way it will get driven lol
- my old E30 M318i Manual got about 9L
- my twincam got 11L on the original engine

P.S. Markseven, (or any other mod if they see this first) when you see this, are you able to tidy up this thread and then delete this last line of my post pretty please? thanks

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Old 02-25-2012, 06:27 PM

Yesterday i pulled the engine for a bit of repair work!

Initially was just going to replace the clutch. i know you can do it with the engine in the car, but i was on my own without a hoist. also i hate doing it that way. also because its a 316i manual, the onlything besides mounting points fuel and wiring i had to unattach was the power steering. no aircon to battle etc. i found a bit of rust on the firewall by the battery which i will repair, pretty common place for e30s when the overflow tubes for the battery have come off and havent been reattached. will degrease the engine bay and the engine too.

btw pretty economical right now too :P

E30 above Sold

Last edited by _Ethrty-Andy_; 02-25-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:37 AM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
Yesterday i pulled the engine for a bit of repair work!

Initially was just going to replace the clutch. i know you can do it with the engine in the car, but i was on my own without a hoist. also i hate doing it that way. also because its a 316i manual, the onlything besides mounting points fuel and wiring i had to unattach was the power steering. no aircon to battle etc. i found a bit of rust on the firewall by the battery which i will repair, pretty common place for e30s when the overflow tubes for the battery have come off and havent been reattached. will degrease the engine bay and the engine too.

btw pretty economical right now too :P
Are you keeping the battery in front or relocating to the boot?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:32 PM

theres a few reasons why it will stay up the front. 4 meters of 0 gauge cable is weight the car doesnt need. secondly i dont even think the hole is cut on the right hand side for the cable to go through anyways. from what ive seen, no M40 powered E30s have it in the boot as the engine is already lighter than the M20. and thirdly that conversion is a prick to do on right hand drive cars.

E30 above Sold

Last edited by _Ethrty-Andy_; 02-26-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:49 AM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
theres a few reasons why it will stay up the front. 4 meters of 0 gauge cable is weight the car doesnt need. secondly i dont even think the hole is cut on the right hand side for the cable to go through anyways. from what ive seen, no M40 powered E30s have it in the boot as the engine is already lighter than the M20. and thirdly that conversion is a prick to do on right hand drive cars.
Fair enough.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 318i E30 1992 (M40)
Quote:
Why is it more difficult on right hand drive cars?

I think the weight distribution would be more 50 50 if the battery is in the back.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoa09 View Post
Why is it more difficult on right hand drive cars?

I think the weight distribution would be more 50 50 if the battery is in the back.
the main reason is having to work around the steering column and pedal box to get the wire through. Not that ive done it on a LHD car, but i just assume it would be.

The M20 engine weighs half as much again as the M10, M40, M42 and S14 engines and is why the battery is in the boot on those cars to balance it out. moving the battery to the back on an M40 isnt going to do anything

actually, moving it to the back on any stock e30 isnt going to do anything.

E30 above Sold

Old 02-28-2012, 05:52 AM
On Top

Send a message via AIM to SWISS Send a message via Yahoo to SWISS
Mein Auto: E30 S52 / S52 M roady
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsteve View Post
his memory isnt that good. he probably has every mess-up ive ever said/done written down with links to everything and listed times when he can bring it up.

and not true.
You sure make absolute statements that are founded on first hand knowledge I see.

I remember you slathering BS, it does stick when a self proclaimed know it all tries to pass off total crap as fact. I remembered this because I called you out on your total BS, and had to point out your OEM hitch said Curt right on it.

So you either knew it wasn't OEM and tried to pull a fast one, or you're just an oblivious fool.

But he doesn't need this crap in his thread. I doubt this will be a "boring" project!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:48 PM

keep the fighting to the sandbox please!

ahh yes.

E30 above Sold

Old 02-29-2012, 05:55 AM
On Top

Send a message via AIM to SWISS Send a message via Yahoo to SWISS
Mein Auto: E30 S52 / S52 M roady
Quote:
keep the fighting to the sandbox please!

ahh yes.
Pics of clutch and such? Do these use the G240 gearbox ?

Old 03-08-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWISS View Post
Pics of clutch and such? Do these use the G240 gearbox ?
Oh sorry, i missed your question so no photos! but yes they use the G240 'box. It is the same box as in the 318i and possibly the 318is (we never got those here so i dont know). Its also found in the 320i manual M20s, just with a slightly different belhousing as the engine is leaning over a little more or less than the M40. i forget which way round.

So the car is all back together again and continuing to be daily driven on its first tank of gas since i brought it, with an indicated 15L to go still..... wow!!!! Thats three weeks of driving every day on $80 of gas and still going!! I used to use more than that in the 525i every week!!!

E30 above Sold

Old 04-27-2012, 02:00 AM

a timewasting update while i wait for my flatmate to organize himself before going out...

over the last few weeks i have replaced two of the tyres and now on Michelins all round which are nice. they are actually quite a good tyre as far as a 14"er goes. Also fitted new disks and pads up the front, new wiper blades, and fitted the very rare euro headlight wipers that i have left over from the twincam. i also fitted my eyelids that i have too which i know most of you all dont like, to me they are the only non-BMW mod that i like.

also pulled both badges off the front of the car and am currently painting the pair of them, though they wont see this car again, they will most likely go onto my E34.am a bit on the fence about if i want to lower this car and/or put a lip on it, it is just a daily driven, and after having so many lowered cars, its nice being able to pull into a carpark and not have to worry about the frontkit/lip biging damaged.

would like some alpina reps for it at some stage too, this car wont be lucky enough to have the real thing. also unlocking the car from the boot is really annoying too, must get around to fixing that...

E30 above Sold

Old 04-27-2012, 06:40 AM
East Bound And Down

Send a message via AIM to noexceptions325
Mein Auto: 325e,Jeep,240z,528i
^ just did a rebuild on a Drivers side door lock, its pretty straightforward. re-keying it took me longer than tearing it all apart

Built 325e too much to list, Heavily modified Jeep, Datsun about to get a 351, and now a 528i
Old 04-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Aspiring BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 1985 e30 323i
LOOKS GREAT!!!! I would definitely keep her!
Dumb question that I should know the answer to, sorry that I don't! What sort of spoiler is that on the back? I found a very similar one at a wrecking yard a few weeks ago that I was able to grab. It was free and its in pretty good condition so I am thinking about having it painted and put on my white e30

If you play Forza 4 on Xbox my gamertag is kniickers323
Old 06-25-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickers323 View Post
LOOKS GREAT!!!! I would definitely keep her!
Dumb question that I should know the answer to, sorry that I don't! What sort of spoiler is that on the back? I found a very similar one at a wrecking yard a few weeks ago that I was able to grab. It was free and its in pretty good condition so I am thinking about having it painted and put on my white e30
missed your question sorry. Im not sure what the spoiler is off actually, but its not BMW. However i think it looks okay, though it is about 5-10mm short on either side. I dont usually like non-BMW bits on my cars, but this looks factory fitted, and noone but E30 guys would know it isnt.

E30 above Sold

Old 06-25-2012, 01:08 AM

So haven't done too much work to the car over the last few months as it was my only drivable car for a bit. However my boss went to Thailand for a few weeks and then i picked up my Mercedes, which allowed this car to have a bit done to it.

Both front and back bumpers were pulled off as well as the bonnet to have the dents in it taken out, and were rematched. Thanks again go to John (aka Bellicose on bimmersport.co.nz) for colour matching these with only a photo and a generic 24 year old BMW paint code to go off. as you can see, after washing the car again, it is a perfect match. Im not sure whether im more impressed at how well the paint has stayed unfaded after all these years, or whether its Johns skills!

Also, fixed up the front valence myself to good as new. Pictures also showing the uber-rare headlight wiper system and the eyelids that i quite like which i know are a oft-insulted mod, but i think it looks smart with the washer system also.

At my house

just down the street a bit

E30 goes Bush

E30 goes to work

E30 goes to the marina

Lots of photos because i couldnt be bothered picking my favourites etc

E30 above Sold

Old 07-22-2012, 01:47 AM

threw a party this weekend so not too much done on the car.

However I did manage to install the Subwoofer i kept out the Mercedes when i sold it, and used the 350W Sony amp someone with a good memory will know i had in my black E30. as far as a 10inch woofer and 350Wamp combo goes it has enough base for this car. its certainly no twin 12" sub/3x800W setup that I have in my wagon, but its enough for a daily and give a bit more bump. there is nothing worse to my ears than going from my good stereos to my **** ones.

Also went to fit some E30 mudflaps i picked up, they turned out to be prefacelift ones so havent fitted them obviously. theres nothing wrong with the front ones but the left hand one is missing and the right one is ripped.

next weekend: fix glovebox latch and drivers door lock.

E30 above Sold

Old 07-27-2012, 11:09 PM

decided it was a nice day today which is a rarity, so i dived head first into the engine bay instead of doing the little one hour jobs.

not sure what the M42 setup is as we dont really have them in NZ, but on the M40 engine, the gauge cluster temperature sensor is on the head underneath the intake manifold. because, (and i dont know why this is) the engine is very compact, the entire intake manifold has to come off, and it is two pieces, bolts onto the head in one place and then half way around the runners it splits again. anyway, takes about 45mins to take off. would take someone unexperienced with BMWs over an hour probably. 19mm spanner to remove the old sensor and screw the new one in. Then i decided, while the intake is off, i might as well tear it apart and paint it up so did that and then a long slow 45 minutes putting it all back together again. sorry didnt take any photos of the actualy tear apart process, i didnt bother to replace my camera and now use my iPhone 4S which is banned from the driveway in case i break it lol.

then after that was done i decided to bolt the subwoofer and amp i installed last weekend to the floor so it doesnt keep sliding around. here is the finished albeit mongrel (in terms of brands) setup.

that wire at the back just chilling goes nowhere btw

Thats all for today. only got started at midday, and it starts to get dark about 5 at the moment (its 5.10pm now) and is dark by 5.30pm now its winter time. southern hemisphere issues lol

If its a fine day tomorrow too then i might do the timing belt, ive brought all the parts for it which have been sitting here for ages...

E30 above Sold

Last edited by _Ethrty-Andy_; 07-27-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:26 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 325e
I love your car man
Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrains View Post
I love your car man
hehe you will flip when you see my wagon in that case! link in my signature. new motor in it now too, and coil overs going in the next few weeks, they are on thier way from the states now

E30 above Sold

Old 08-25-2012, 12:07 AM

woohoo nice day today which is very rare for an august down on this side of the world! so what ever would i do but get stuck into the E30! as a treat for your eyes because word posts are boring there is a picture overload today.

first up to ease me in, i replaced the faulty lockable lever for the glovebox. these keyless ones can be hard to find so happy with this. looks cleaner anyways.

then i decided to get stuck into the engine. my plan was to replace the timing belt, bot auxilary belts for a start, and then investigate the reason why the car will not get hot. for example, i took these a few weeks ago:

this is what the car looked in the morning

then no matter what distance i drive, this is the hottest it will get:

if your like me you will think its jsut the sender thats faulty, well i changed that and no difference. tightened the nuts on the back of the cluster, no change, and then checked the real temperature of the coolant when "hot". i should have done this first, but its rare for a car to underheat so i disregarded it. when "hot" the car was at around 55 degrees celcius in the expansion tank which is way below where it should be. so i diagnosed a faulty thermostat and with some verification from the bimmersport.co.nz boys, ripped into changing it.

of course the bonnet doesnt need to come off to do the thermostat, but as i planned to do the timing belt, it makes access a lot easier, and its only 6 bolts and then the spring hinge to take off literally 5 minutes work. my windscreen washers are already disconnected for the time being.

started the disassembly process, and when i took off the dissy cap what do i find? ...

this will be the cause of my occasional missing probably! the date stamp on that is 89, so is 240,000kms plus god knows how much idling (this has always been a city car)!!! the date on the matching rotor is 90, so those will be up for replacement once i order those.

the teardown process continues, and more genuine BMW parts the car left the factory with!!...

taking it apart it literally fell to pieces

then i turned my attention to the timing belt. luckily, it looks to be in very good condition with no cracks etc, so that can stay as it is for the time being. wohoo! the timing belt on the M40 engine is very easy, but still time consuming. this minimises the beer consumed during todays excitement.

so i put the car all back together, so read this post backwards untill you get to the top and then come back here.......

started it up again, and then decided to take it around the block a few times to see how warm it gets.

i think that looks a bit better dont you!

yet to take the car for a proper drive, but fuel economy should increase remarkably now in theory too which is good for an already efficient car!

E30 above Sold

Old 08-25-2012, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 325e
It's not that bad every single thing on my car was from the factory before I got a hold of it