Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
Coolant bleed procedure on X5 E70 4.8

Hi Everyone!

Sorry if this was asked before, I looked it up using search but no luck

Anyway, my expansion tank(79) cracked and start leaking at 70K mark. I ordered the part and intend to install it tomorrow. Now my questions:
1. Air must have gone in the system when I took the tank out so I need to bleed the system?
2. How do I bleed the system?
3. Is the coolant ratio 50/50?
4. Do we use distilled water or tap water?

This is my first post since getting my E70 4.8 hopefully no more surprises for this car for this year.

Thanks in advance!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3LZ...YU0/edit?pli=1

Last edited by tenderfoot; 06-23-2014 at 05:02 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-23-2014, 05:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
I'm sure the exact procedure can be found on YouTube for your motor. Bav auto also has good DIY videos and articles, might not be specific to your car but the principle is the same.

Use BMW coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 06-25-2014, 02:42 PM

Thanks for that mate.
Bought my parts from a bmw dealer and advice me to use 50/50 coolant with TAP water instead of distilled.
I used to have an e39 and bleeding was easy as the 2x bleed screw is very visible, but I couldnt find it anywhere on my e70, maybe there isnt any.

All I did was filled it up turn the heater on on its highest setting, and start it a few minutes later. When I can see that coolant is slowly heating up and rising on the expansion tank, I closed it and drove for 2 miles. It cooled down now and when I checked its only about 1/2 inch down the level. I guess I just need to check it often for now, until it stabilize eventually

Maybe thats all there is to it..
Old 06-26-2014, 02:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E70 X5 4.8i
Did you ever find out why it overheated? My 07 X5 4.8i just did the same thing a week ago at 70,700 miles. Before it overheated and cracked the expansion tank, it threw a check engine light with a P0128 code with this description: "coolant thermostat (coolant temp below thermostat regulating temp). I thought it was a stuck open thermostat and cleared the code. Other than the water loss from the cracked expansion tank, I don't know why it overheated. I replaced the water pump, thermostat, expansion tank and followed the drain and fill procedure carefully. Since doing all that, I haven't been able to get my electric cooling fan to turn on even at Idle with the AC on MAX and coolant temps above 105 degrees C. When should my cooling fan turn on in this car anyway? 110 or even 120 degrees C? Anyone know? 110 C is 230 degrees F and that seems a bit hot to me. I don't want to take it for a test drive without a functioning fan and have it overheat again. Maybe there's a faulty fan relay/switch? Already checked the temp sensor in the lower radiator hose and it checks out. About 2000 ohm when it's cold and around 200 ohm above 90 degrees C. Please help.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:04 AM

I guess I didn't read carefully enough. Tenderfoot didn't say his X5 overheated. Anyone know how to check your cooling fan or where the relay is located?
Old 06-26-2014, 06:14 AM

Hi X5bimmer88,

Yes my X5 didnt overheat as I didnt drove far when I noticed the coolant leak. If I have to guess, I think you fan didnt turn on, water temp shoots up so hight made your expansion tank crack.

I dont know where the relays are, but I think the temp sensor are on the top radiator hose leading to the waterpump, there are two in there so I would just replace both of them if in doubt.

In my old e39, when my temp sensor failed, fan goes wild and turns full blast in the winter. If the system is the same then maybe its not the sensor's fault?

When I start my X5 up in the morning the fan turns on at a slow speed and turns off when it realizes that the coolant is still cold. So you might want to check if your fan is working first by starting it up for a minute.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:45 AM

Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty sure it's the relays for the fan and I'll replace the lower temp sensor tomorrow.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: E70 4.8
I want to ask a question (may be out of topic): What temperature is your coolant when running and idle ? My E70 4.8 coolant temp always is 105 degrees C when running and about 106-108 degrees C when idle (stop at traffic lights). My expansion tank is cracked and I thought one of main reasons is the engine is too hot.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:42 AM

Replying to bmwhn: So my 07 4.8i runs at 105 centigrade as well. I thought it was too hot but that's about when the thermostat opens up too. You might want to find out why your coolant res cracked. Mine cracked after the fan relay quit working which subsequently caused an overheat. I also thought the cap to the tank should have released the pressure but they often fail to vent the pressure. In BMW's TIS, the specifications for the test call for it to vent pressure above 1.5 Bar but it gets 3 tries to pass the test. I would make sure you find out why your tank cracked. The fan relay is a $65 part (61 36 7 661 503) behind the passenger headlight, and an easy way to test your fan is to start your car, let it come up to temp and then turn on the AC. Your fan should turn on to at least a low speed any time the AC is on. That info could have saved me from unnecessarily buying a $600 fan. I forgot all the details of the coolant bleed procedure but I can look it up if you need it. Best of luck!
Old 07-06-2014, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: E70 4.8
Replying to x5Bimmer88: Thank you for your info. I replaced cap and expansion tank and it stops leaking. I do some research and finally order a 90 degrees C themostat for my car. I think the main reason for the tank crack and some other typical leaks in N62 engine is the temp of coolant is too hot, that damages seals, hose, coolant pipe seal,etc.. When the temperature increase, that will make pressure goes up too.
After I put the new thermotsat in, the coolant temp is stable at 90-92 degrees C range, gearbox oil temp is 70 degrees C. I decided to use Water Wetter with a hope to reduce the temp when I go uphill for a long period, I will put a test result later.