Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: x5
X5 20 inch winter tires?

I recently bought a 2009 X5 with 20 inch run flats. Want to put all wheather/winter tires on, but look like they don't exist? Bummed about this of course, and wonder what my options are? Non-run flats? Any advise?
Best, Harald
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 X5-35d AW-CI
Buy a new set of rims and non-RFT.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: Sedan
Bunch of manuf with all weather 20s. Search the forum...Michelin, Continental.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: German
Check on tire rack. Don't think they exist though

Get a second set of wheels.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: MB SLK55, Porsche C4S
There are several different non run flat all season tires in our size, but the only winter tires that I've seen in our size are Pirelli Scorpions, and they are run flats...have them on my '11 50i. They do ride somewhat softer than the Bridgestone summer run flats that came on the truck, but the ride is still on the stiff side. As you might expect there's a bit of a handling tradeoff with the softer ride and the winter tread pattern, but my guess is that only enthuisatic drivers would notice. And despite the wide width of the tires, the Scorpions are great in the snow. The X5 with 20 inch Scorpions is better in the snow than my Pathfinder with Michelin LTX tires, which have a reasonably aggressive tread pattern (and I have an older Pathfinder with part drive 4 wheel drive) I know I'm in the minority here, but I like the stiff ride and sharp handling of the run flats on this truck, whereas I ditched the run flats on my Mini Cooper S (with sport suspension) because the ride was nothing short of brutal. On the Mini there was a noticeable loss in the go kart handling due to the softer sidewalls of the non run flat tires, but I had little choice as the ride with the run flats simply was not tolerable with the bad roads around here (I'm in New Jersey)

Last edited by shark715; 02-18-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Just pick up a set of 18's or 19's and have a dedicated winter set. Get best performance in summer and winter, not to mention you will save the 20" rims from the winters. The cost is not more, you just front load your tire cost.
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 02-19-2012, 05:38 AM

No doubt 18's or 19's will be better in the snow versus the wider 20's, but for me I like the look of the 20's...that's why I paid the extra $ for them to start with, and I would prefer to have that look year round. When I purchased the truck I was concerned that there would be no 20 inch tire available that would be good in the snow, but like I said above, the Scorpions do work well, although many here want to avoid any run flat tire whatsoever. It would be interesting if someone who is using 20 inch all-season non run flats could relay their experiences.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: x3,x5
Is anyone running 20 inch all seasons?

There are always a lot of comments about going down to 19 or 18 inch rims for winter, but that's a pain in the rear end - storing them, switching them, etc.

Has anyone actually tried running all seasons on the 20 inch rims? I know they are available, I'm just concerned about the width and it's realistic ability to handle snow.

Any first hand knowledge?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinkinfo View Post
There are always a lot of comments about going down to 19 or 18 inch rims for winter, but that's a pain in the rear end - storing them, switching them, etc.

Has anyone actually tried running all seasons on the 20 inch rims? I know they are available, I'm just concerned about the width and it's realistic ability to handle snow.

Any first hand knowledge?

So I figured I'd come back and provide an update.

I'm running the 20 inch staggered setup and I've switched over to the Continental DWS's.

There have been 2 snow storms here in the last week, so if course I've taken the car out to experiment before and after the plows were coming through. I also took my family members 4.8is with the 20's because he has taken the 20's off and put dedicated 19 inch 255 snows). So I have a fairly good comparison reference.

Without snow, the DWS's are fantastic tires. Very smooth ride, good handling, and excellent low noise. A significant improvement over the run flat's that originally were on the car. Absolutely love them.

The great news is, the DWS's are also FANTASTIC in the snow. We took both X5's up the same course and routes and ran into no situation the DWS's couldn't match the dedicated snow's. Slow crawls up steep hills, descents with lots of braking, extreme and controlled handling comparisons. Highway, local roads, back roads. Bottom line, the DWS's are about as close to dedicated snow tires I've experienced in all seasons.

Additionally, I was amazed the 315's didn't seem to have much effect.

My conclusion, for anyone trying to decide if they should go the DWS route or use dedicated snow's, unless you are running in very extreme climates or locations, the DWS's will perform amazingly well even in the 20 inch setup. You can take the comments from the peanut gallery not running them with a very large grain of salt.

For many of us, storing and changing over dedicated snow tires is a pain. The DWS setup in the staggered 20's IMO make that changeover completely unnecessary in my region (about 1 hour north of NYC).

Best of luck!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:56 AM

Mein Auto: 11' 35D
what type of conditions have you tested them in (i.e. depth of snow, etc.)?

I want to take mine up to mountains for ski trips in Tahoe, and I have experienced significant snow fall in my previous vehicle, so I'm skeptical of the handling and performance of a 20" tire in challenging conditions.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Audi A6
I don't know if this is still the case, but a few years ago it was recommended that you not switch run-flats on rims very often, as the tire mounting machine can compromise the integrity of the side wall. If it's still the case, it's a good reason to get a specific set of wheels for your snow tires.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbott View Post

I want to take mine up to mountains for ski trips in Tahoe, and I have experienced significant snow fall in my previous vehicle, so I'm skeptical of the handling and performance of a 20" tire in challenging conditions.

I assume you have the same tires? If not, this assessment does not apply, this is my specific experience with the continental DWS's on the 20 inch staggered setup, it will not translate to any other tires, so please don't read it as a generalized statement about all 20 inch setups.

Tires are almost new (under 2000 miles). Unplowed to about 8 inches, and of course all conditions between that depth and different degrees of plowing. Packed down, loose, etc. The temperature fluctuated over the day/night between roughly 26 and 30. Heavy snow falling during most of the playing. We sought out the most difficult roads we could find. The largest crawling incline/decline slope was very exaggerated and quite unrealistic for most normal driving, a paved but unplowed private entrance.

As I indicated, the width was a surprising non-issue, which was my largest concern. And i had another x5 with me with dedicated 255 snows for direct comparison. We switched back and forth driving both cars and for what it's worth, all 3 drivers had the same reaction/opinion.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 750 xdrive
Winter Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucktown View Post
I don't know if this is still the case, but a few years ago it was recommended that you not switch run-flats on rims very often, as the tire mounting machine can compromise the integrity of the side wall. If it's still the case, it's a good reason to get a specific set of wheels for your snow tires.
Have you found any additional info about your post? Im struggling with swapping winter tires on my 20" wheels on a seasonal bases. If its still not a good idea of swapping run flats seasonally do you have a recommended tire and wheel package and what size rim did you go with?
Old 07-06-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbott View Post

I'm happy to say, your skepticism is totally unfounded. I've been running the setup now for 2 winters and the car is a tank in the snow with the 20 inch DWS's. Anyone who is trying to convince you otherwise hasn't tried the setup and isn't talking with any real experience. You absolutely do not need snow tires and/or a narrower set of winter rims.

Over the 2 winters I've done just about every condition you could reasonably expect to do. My family loves to ski, so we've been up in the top of New York and Vermont in snowstorms in the dead if winter. We have a snowmobile, so I've trailered that around as well. This includes snow depths as high as unplowed roads get. The setup has NEVER given me any cause for concern or pause.

As I said in the prior post, we have another x5 with dedicated winter snow tires to directly compare in every condition. Anywhere he can go, I can go. Period.

Best of luck with your decision!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane1394 View Post
Have you found any additional info about your post? Im struggling with swapping winter tires on my 20" wheels on a seasonal bases. If its still not a good idea of swapping run flats seasonally do you have a recommended tire and wheel package and what size rim did you go with?
If you want to run 20 inch winter tires, I was able to find BMW OEM replica wheels (they are damn good replicas, even have the same mold marks as the OEM wheels) from Direct Performance, who told me they come from the same factory that makes genuine BMW OEM rims. I was skeptical, but I think I believe them now. I paid something like $1400 for the set. But if I had to do it all over again, I'm not sure I would bother investing the $ for a second set of rims. On our Mini Countryman I have been paying the shop I use $80 twice a year to install and balance winter and summer run flats. While it is true that run flats are more difficult to get on and off the rims, but so long as you have a competent technician and the correct tire machine, there's no reason the run flat tires would be damaged by simply mounting and dismounting them. Sure, a careless technician could damage them, but you can say the same thing about any component on your car that the careless technician is working on. I would be very interested to hear more specifics about why someone would say that dismounting them each year is a bad idea.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I'm happy to say, your skepticism is totally unfounded. I've been running the setup now for 2 winters and the car is a tank in the snow with the 20 inch DWS's. Anyone who is trying to convince you otherwise hasn't tried the setup and isn't talking with any real experience. You absolutely do not need snow tires and/or a narrower set of winter rims.

Over the 2 winters I've done just about every condition you could reasonably expect to do. My family loves to ski, so we've been up in the top of New York and Vermont in snowstorms in the dead if winter. We have a snowmobile, so I've trailered that around as well. This includes snow depths as high as unplowed roads get. The setup has NEVER given me any cause for concern or pause.

As I said in the prior post, we have another x5 with dedicated winter snow tires to directly compare in every condition. Anywhere he can go, I can go. Period.

Best of luck with your decision!
Our opinion of the DWS's would respectably be somewhat different than Clinkinfo's. While their winter performance was very good for an all season tire (have had them on both the X5 with 20 inch wheels as well as our former Mini Cooper), all season tires are always a inescapable compromise as they need to work well in a wide variety of conditions and temperatures.

We found that the Pirelli Scorpions had noticeably superior winter traction versus the DWS's, noticeable in any type of snow condition, but where the difference was night and day was with ice braking, assumedly because of the softer rubber you will generally find with winter tires.

The DWS's are also known (see the tests on Tirerack's website) for having rather soft sidewalls, which is great for a comfortable ride, but not so great for handling. It was really noticeable in the Mini Cooper with it's huge amount of steering feedback, you could feel the sidewalls start to fold when you pushed the car really hard in a turn.

While few owners are likely to get stuck in the snow with DWS's so long as you are careful to pay attention to tread depth, we think there's just no question the Scorpions are
superior in the winter.

The DWS's do have some advantages, though. It is feasible to run them year round and avoid having to change tires twice yearly. They are far, far better than summer tires in the winter. The DWS's have significantly better treadlife versus the Scorpions because the rubber is harder (tires are always a compromise). And because they are non run flats and have the soft sidewalls, ride quality is significantly better than the run flats, although I think many drivers will notice that the handling is not as sharp (tires are always a compromise).

One thing you don't want to do is get caught with summer tires in the snow. We learned the hard way. The X5 is a decent snow vehicle, but not with summer tires.

Last edited by shark715; 07-06-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 xDr35d Sport 20"
Quote:
So I figured I'd come back and provide an update.

I'm running the 20 inch staggered setup and I've switched over to the Continental DWS's.

There have been 2 snow storms here in the last week, so if course I've taken the car out to experiment before and after the plows were coming through. I also took my family members 4.8is with the 20's because he has taken the 20's off and put dedicated 19 inch 255 snows). So I have a fairly good comparison reference.

Without snow, the DWS's are fantastic tires. Very smooth ride, good handling, and excellent low noise. A significant improvement over the run flat's that originally were on the car. Absolutely love them.

The great news is, the DWS's are also FANTASTIC in the snow. We took both X5's up the same course and routes and ran into no situation the DWS's couldn't match the dedicated snow's. Slow crawls up steep hills, descents with lots of braking, extreme and controlled handling comparisons. Highway, local roads, back roads. Bottom line, the DWS's are about as close to dedicated snow tires I've experienced in all seasons.

Additionally, I was amazed the 315's didn't seem to have much effect.

My conclusion, for anyone trying to decide if they should go the DWS route or use dedicated snow's, unless you are running in very extreme climates or locations, the DWS's will perform amazingly well even in the 20 inch setup. You can take the comments from the peanut gallery not running them with a very large grain of salt.

For many of us, storing and changing over dedicated snow tires is a pain. The DWS setup in the staggered 20's IMO make that changeover completely unnecessary in my region (about 1 hour north of NYC).

Best of luck!
noob question here. I've got a 2013 X5 35d with 20's in NY need to decide if I go with 20" winters tires on existing rims or get 19's and 3rd party rims. clinkinfo -The Continental DSW's have the two rim sizes for my wheels as does Pirelli snow, or Pirelli snow and ice but Pirelli is more expensive by a few hundred I'm guessing because those are run-flats.

Do you carry a spare running the Cont. DSW's or just wing it?

also anybody else that's done 3rd party rims in 18" or 19" get the TPM sensors too, tirerack has a notice that if you don't drop another 250 on those, your low tire indicators will stay on all the time. kinda torn on which direction to go in given all the factors of price vs runflats coming on/off on same rim. I do have rim/tire protection through bmw but that doesn't cover cosmetic.

thanks for any info!
Old 11-07-2014, 08:51 AM

When we had DWS's on our X5 (and Mini, too), we just carried a couple of cans of Fix a Flat. Luckily we never had to use it. You do need additional TPM sensors for your TPM system to work correctly if you buy additional wheels. Chances are you will be OK with DWS's (or any other decent all season tire) for light to moderate winter driving, but if you want the foremost protection for winter driving you do need specific winter tires. The way I look at it is if winter tires keep you from skidding into someone on an icy road just one time, they have likely paid for themselves and the hastle of changing them over twice a year. Or if the incremental traction keeps us from getting stuck somewhere just one time they have paid for themselves, too. We ski a lot in northern New England and update NY so we probably have a better chance of encountering severe winter conditions than most, so we tend to err on the side of caution. But if it's unlikely you will encounter severe winter conditons, I recognize most drivers will not go for winter tires, as the beauty of all season tires is their simplicity.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:19 PM

I'd agree the Pirelli Runflats for my existing 20" wheels are quite pricy, about $1600 delivered before mounting. I've read different viewpoints about swapping run-flats on the same rim, some people thing it's totally fine others say the tire can be damaged. If I go with keeping exiting wheel, switching summer and winters a number of times could increase the likelihood of RF tire damage...myth?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...RFTV2&i3_Qty=2
Old 11-07-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualbmr View Post
I'd agree the Pirelli Runflats for my existing 20" wheels are quite pricy, about $1600 delivered before mounting. I've read different viewpoints about swapping run-flats on the same rim, some people thing it's totally fine others say the tire can be damaged. If I go with keeping exiting wheel, switching summer and winters a number of times could increase the likelihood of RF tire damage...myth?
While it might have been an issue 5 or 10 years ago, the newer tire machines have addressed this. Just Google "Tire Machines" and you will see the type of equipment that is used today.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
I've always gone with second set of wheels and tires. With the X5 I searched for a used set way before winter hit last year. I was looking for wheels and TPMS, did not care what tires were mounted. I lucked out and found a practically new set of wheels and Blizzaks for under $1,000 in August last year right here in San Francisco. They had been used once for a trip from SF to Tahoe (700 miles) then the X5 was traded in for a Cayenne and wheels were just taking up space in the garage. Awesome and unexpected deal, except we got almost no snow...

Pros of two sets:
- Easy swap, takes 20 minutes instead of having to endure bad coffee and people watching at the tire shop for hours.
- You prevent potential damage to your expensive OEM wheels by not subjecting them to winter conditions and pot holes.
- You prevent likely damage to your expensive OEM wheels by not having the teenagers at the tire shop man handle your wheels with heavy machinery while sexting.
- You have many spares in case you destroy a tire on your spare-less car.

Cons of two sets:
- Up front can be expensive. Have to decide how long you plan on keeping car to determine if investing in new wheels is worth it. Used sets much cheaper, if not just keep looking.
- Takes up a lot of space in the garage, especially if you have two sets of wheels for more than one car...

Old 11-07-2014, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
LMAO at comparing DWS to a dedicated set of snow tires, like the Blizzaks. There is just no way that it compares with traction on ice, in deep snow, etc.

Car in winter mode

From last winter, good luck with your DWS when the conditions are icy like this.

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |

Last edited by blue dragon; 11-07-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
You have many spares in case you destroy a tire on your spare-less car.
Excellent point, especially given that replacement tires in these sizes are often not stocked by local tire dealers.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
LMAO at comparing DWS to a dedicated set of snow tires, like the Blizzaks. There is just no way that it compares with traction on ice, in deep snow, etc.
Yeah, I was going to say that if he didn't test the tires in conditions severe enough to get the truck stuck, he really didn't perform the right comparison, because no doubt he would have become stuck with the DWS's before he got stuck with the winter tires. And perhaps the more important test would be to compare how long it takes to stop on ice with the DWS's versus the winter tires. That could be the difference between stopping in time versus hitting the guy in front of you. That being said, I've had the DWS's on two vehicles, and for an all season tire they are decent in winter conditions, so long as you have plenty of tread depth left. Then their winter abilities decline fast. But there's no way they compare to the Scorpions, Blizzaks and Michelin Xice's I've owned.

Last edited by shark715; 11-07-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:50 PM

I just decided to get the BMW 18"s winter package matched to my year and make online, it costs more but my brain hurts from all of the options.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/36...-TIRE-ASSEMBLY

thanks for all of the helpful info oh dudes of the forum!